Atheist questionnaire

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#251 Posted by FelipeInside (28538 posts) -

It didn't work last time for some reason..

In terms of IQ:

EDIT: WTF? Glitchspot is retarded. Almost as retarded as FelipeInside. I was trying to post something witty about Felipe's lack of intelligence. WTF.

And I was under the impression that it was accepted that the Egyptiansdidkeep the Istraelites (not at the time called that) as slaves, and their escape and journey to free land was called the exodus.

brucewayne69
Someone with another point of view = retard
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
#252 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

This isn't intended to start an arguement between theists and atheists. I just want to know, from atheists, what their thoughts are on certain things.

1. Do you think the Ark of the Covenant ever existed, regardless of whether or not it had powers?

2. Do you think Jesus ever existed?

3. Do you think a Moses ever existed? I mean, the exodus happened, but whether or not they were led by Moses is up for date.

4. Do you look down on theists?

5. Do you disagree with organized religion?

6. Have you ever voted Republican?

7. Did "Noah's Flood" ever happen? Global, regional, local scale whatever.

8. Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus? Or Jewish if a new messiah (proven) would come?

9. Anything you would like to add.

brucewayne69

Probably

Probably

Probably. More likely than the first two imo.

It depends, those who use their religion as an excuse for ignorance; aka creationists, fundamentalists, kkk. Yes

Depends, sometimes I'd say it's ok like the methodist church or catholic church. Others it's outright lunicy like Evengelicals or Southern baptists where my previous answer takes place. I'd say the bad does outweigh the good.

Yes, For Rick Snider. Just about the only Republican I've ever respected.

around the black sea possibly. Or it was just a story stolen from that Mesopotamian tablet.

well duh

I think the world is probably better without conservative religions. More liberal ones that focus more on charity and less on hating the minority of the week I approve of.

#253 Posted by -Toshy- (1376 posts) -

1. Do you think the Ark of the Covenant ever existed, regardless of whether or not it had powers?

3. Do you think a Moses ever existed? I mean, the exodus happened, but whether or not they were led by Moses is up for date.

8. Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus? Or Jewish if a new messiah (proven) would come?

brucewayne69
1. idk. If it did, I'd say it was more of a storage chest than anything else.
2. Sure. Don't believe he had powers or anything of the like, but he could have been an influential person at the time.
3. See above.
4. No.
5. Yes.
6. Not in a presidential election. Have for senate/house.
7. Maybe on a local scale. Def not global.
8. No. May become a theist, but would not become a Christian.
9. Nope.
#254 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

And I was under the impression that it was accepted that the Egyptiansdidkeep the Istraelites (not at the time called that) as slaves, and their escape and journey to free land was called the exodus.

brucewayne69
There's zero evidence that the Jews were ever even slaves in Egypt.
#255 Posted by dbz987 (3763 posts) -

This isn't intended to start an arguement between theists and atheists. I just want to know, from atheists, what their thoughts are on certain things.

brucewayne69

1. No

2. Yes, when I was younger

3. Yes, when i was younger. now no

4. No

5. Yes

6. No, I voted in one presidential election

7. No, just a story that took from other stories from other religions

8. Yes, it would mean Christiaanity is real

9. Not really

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
#257 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

brucewayne69

1. Religious paraphernalia does exist. I don't knowabout the Ark, or why it should matter.

2. Not as depicted in the bible. Many people called Jesus existed in those days.

3. I doubt it. The Wellhausen hypothesis indicates the true authorship of the Torah.

4. No. I don't especially value theism, but do value all theists as people.

5. Yes and often - on a variety of issues.

6. No because I live in the UK. US politics seems far too jingoistic and religiously motivated (i.e. Obama's recent acceptance speech)

7. Malformed question. Floods do happen. The Noah flood was described as global.

8. I feel "proof" here is a subjective term. There have historically been many "second comings" and I haven't joined any of those religions.

9. Why are you so interested in what atheists think? Why not be more interested in what you think yourself and why?

#258 Posted by mAArdman (1612 posts) -

1. if it did exist it probably was nothing more than a box.

2. yes

3. no

4. no

5. yes

6. canadian

7. no. smaller scale maybe.

8. possibly

9. no

#259 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

RationalAtheist

1. Religious paraphernalia does exist. I don't knowabout the Ark, or why it should matter.

2. Not as depicted in the bible. Many people called Jesus existed in those days.

3. I doubt it. The Wellhausen hypothesis indicates the true authorship of the Torah.

4. No. I don't especially value theism, but do value all theists as people.

5. Yes and often - on a variety of issues.

6. No because I live in the UK. US politics seems far too jingoistic and religiously motivated (i.e. Obama's recent acceptance speech)

7. Malformed question. Floods do happen. The Noah flood was described as global.

8. I feel "proof" here is a subjective term. There have historically been many "second comings" and I haven't joined any of those religions.

9. Why are you so interested in what atheists think? Why not be more interested in what you think yourself and why?

9. I want to know non religious people's thoughts on specific questions. So I made this thread. I do know what I think and why I think it.
#260 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -

brucewayne69
My answers (I'm TC): 1. Yes, but I don't think it killed who it touched. 2. Yes. 3. Maybe, don't think he parted the read sea. 4. No 5. Not really 6. Can't vote 7. Don't know 8. Already am 9. It's interesting, almost NO atheists are republicans.
#261 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I'm not saying anything for fact, I can't possibly know that, no one does. I say that my theory is that maybe Alien Life created life on Earth. Of course those Aliens have had to be created by something else too obviously. For the notion of mindless chain of reactions, that's a valid theory and I respect that. To me the Universe is so controlled that it's hard to comprehend that it was just mindless chains without some type of control or creator behind it. Even if they just created the formula for the chain.FelipeInside

Yet everything we know about the universe all the way back to the event of the big bang's singularity needs no control and fits the description of a place without a creator at the helm. It's like if a puddle on the sidewalk could think and talk, it might say "This hole is so perfect it was made for me!" when in reality the puddle only fits the shape of its container, not the other way around. One stray asteroid, gamma burst, or severe climate change could wipe out all life on this planet and the universe won't care about it. Such is what happens when a couple of different molecule types sit around with the affects of gravity for 14 billion years

So everything we know about the Universe, you say, needs no control. Ok, I can accept that. So for example, most planets go around a star with gravitational laws and in a circle correct? (sorry if my terminology is bad, I'm not an astronomer). Did all these systems just appear from nowhere? and did they all just agree to go around the Sun for example?

When stars die and engulf their planets into death and all is destoryed, the remaining debris floats around until it is reborn into a new star. The dust collecting in orbit around said star is affected by gravity and over time they clump into balls, making planets, the star lives anohter 5-10 billion years, dies, repeat. The molecules in your body were once inside a star. Complex things come from very very simple things when given gravity, chemical reactions, and an assload of time.

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
#262 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
tide goes in, tide goes out, never a miscommunication - you can't explain that
#263 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

tide goes in, tide goes out, never a miscommunication - you can't explain thatWolfattheDoor34

:lol:

Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
#264 Posted by BenedictArnold7 (743 posts) -
This questionnaire is too complicated. The answer is simple. There is no valid reason to believe in god. There may be some sort of god just like there may be a flying crocodile somewhere in space. Believe in something if it is reasonable to believe in it.
#265 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -
This questionnaire is too complicated. The answer is simple. There is no valid reason to believe in god. There may be some sort of god just like there may be a flying crocodile somewhere in space. Believe in something if it is reasonable to believe in it. BenedictArnold7
None of my questions have to with believing in God.
#266 Posted by FelipeInside (28538 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Yet everything we know about the universe all the way back to the event of the big bang's singularity needs no control and fits the description of a place without a creator at the helm. It's like if a puddle on the sidewalk could think and talk, it might say "This hole is so perfect it was made for me!" when in reality the puddle only fits the shape of its container, not the other way around. One stray asteroid, gamma burst, or severe climate change could wipe out all life on this planet and the universe won't care about it. Such is what happens when a couple of different molecule types sit around with the affects of gravity for 14 billion years

wis3boi

So everything we know about the Universe, you say, needs no control. Ok, I can accept that. So for example, most planets go around a star with gravitational laws and in a circle correct? (sorry if my terminology is bad, I'm not an astronomer). Did all these systems just appear from nowhere? and did they all just agree to go around the Sun for example?

When stars die and engulf their planets into death and all is destoryed, the remaining debris floats around until it is reborn into a new star. The dust collecting in orbit around said star is affected by gravity and over time they clump into balls, making planets, the star lives anohter 5-10 billion years, dies, repeat. The molecules in your body were once inside a star. Complex things come from very very simple things when given gravity, chemical reactions, and an assload of time.

I understand that, thanks for the explanation. But it works like this EVERY single time right?
#267 Posted by FelipeInside (28538 posts) -
This questionnaire is too complicated. The answer is simple. There is no valid reason to believe in god. There may be some sort of god just like there may be a flying crocodile somewhere in space. Believe in something if it is reasonable to believe in it. BenedictArnold7
Depends what God you speak of.
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
#268 Posted by BenedictArnold7 (743 posts) -
[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]This questionnaire is too complicated. The answer is simple. There is no valid reason to believe in god. There may be some sort of god just like there may be a flying crocodile somewhere in space. Believe in something if it is reasonable to believe in it. brucewayne69
None of my questions have to with believing in God.

Most of them have to do with it. Those questions wouldn't exist if the question of any given god wasn't raised.
#269 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

9. I want to know non religious people's thoughts on specific questions. So I made this thread. I do know what I think and why I think it.brucewayne69

Sure, I get that much. But why would you want to know what non-religious people think?

None of my questions have to with believing in God.brucewayne69

Q2 and Q8 are specifically about belief in God. Other questions relate to biblical beliefs. Why deny this?

#270 Posted by FelipeInside (28538 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]9. I want to know non religious people's thoughts on specific questions. So I made this thread. I do know what I think and why I think it.RationalAtheist

Sure, I get that much. But why would you want to know what non-religious people think?

Q2 and Q8 are specifically about belief in God. Other questions relate to biblical beliefs. Why deny this?

Because it's interesting to see other points of view. I'm religious but I'm always open to other beliefs. Wisboi for example goes out of his way to explain to me, ShadowDemon and other posters the Atheist thinking, without resorting to name calling and talking down to people.

#271 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

Because it's interesting to see other points of view. I'm religious but I'm always open to other beliefs. Wisboi for example goes out of his way to explain to me, ShadowDemon and other posters the Atheist thinking, without resorting to name calling and talking down to people.

FelipeInside

Perhaps, but all of BW's questions in the questionnaire were "closed" questions (requiring only "yes" or "no" answers).

I wish I could say the same thing about Wis3boi.

#272 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
1. Possibly, need to do more research on its historicity 2. Probably 3. No. There's also no evidence for Hebrew slaves or an Exodus from Egypt by anyone, much less Jews. 4. Fundamentalists, absolutely. Moderate religious people don't bug me too often 5. Completely disagree with it, yes 6. No 7. There was probably some flood that correlates to the story in some way. 8. No. If the Christian god was proven, or Jesus returned, I would become a dystheist, and maybe a Satan worshipper. 9. COncepts of "morality" are every bit as harmful as religious concepts.
#273 Posted by FelipeInside (28538 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

RationalAtheist

Perhaps, but all of BW's questions in the questionnaire were "closed" questions (requiring only "yes" or "no" answers).

I wish I could say the same thing about Wis3boi.

Oh were they? Sorry, didn't know that.

#274 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]9. I want to know non religious people's thoughts on specific questions. So I made this thread. I do know what I think and why I think it.RationalAtheist

Q2 had nothing to do with Jesus' divinity. I merely asked if you think Jesus, as a man, existed. Whether or not he was divine was not asked. Q8 was sort of religious. Sort of. "If a religion turned out to be true, (paraphrasing) what would you do?" Ok, I'll give you that one. Other questions had to do with events and people in religious texts, and what the deal was with them. Not with believing in God.
#275 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -

And I wanted to know what other people's opinions on certain subjects were. This thread clearly shows that everybody has a different belief or opinion on everything. Most answers have been completely different.

#276 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

Q2 had nothing to do with Jesus' divinity. I merely asked if you think Jesus, as a man, existed. Whether or not he was divine was not asked. Q8 was sort of religious. Sort of. "If a religion turned out to be true, (paraphrasing) what would you do?" Ok, I'll give you that one. Other questions had to do with events and people in religious texts, and what the deal was with them. Not with believing in God.

brucewayne69

Q2 does not specifically refer to Jesus "the man" and is not qualified like your Q7 (Noah's flood) question is, or even your Q1 (Ark of the Covenant question) is. Q8 specifically asks "Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus?". One has to make the assumption that you were talking about the same Jesus as in Q2 and that would infer divinity.

I wonder why you'd deny that any of your questions have to do with believing in God when clearly they do.

#277 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

RationalAtheist

Q2 does not specifically refer to Jesus "the man" and is not qualified like your Q7 (Noah's flood) question is, or even your Q1 (Ark of the Covenant question) is. Q8 specifically asks "Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus?". One has to make the assumption that you were talking about the same Jesus as in Q2 and that would infer divinity.

I wonder why you'd deny that any of your questions have to do with believing in God when clearly they do.

I directed this towards atheists. Obviously, atheist's don't believe in Jesus' divinity. I thought that was understood. If I asked if they thought he was divine, and they said yes, then they aren't atheists. Question 8 I conceded too. Nobody else is having this issue, RA.
#278 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

And I wanted to know what other people's opinions on certain subjects were. This thread clearly shows that everybody has a different belief or opinion on everything. Most answers have been completely different.

brucewayne69

I'm not sure the thread does show that everyone has a different opinion on everything. The yes/no/unknowbable answers have been farly typical and show a broad concensus to me. It fascinates me how much atheists can agree on, especially since there is no one book to follow on the topic.

#279 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

RationalAtheist

I'm not sure the thread does show that everyone has a different opinion on everything. The yes/no/unknowbable answers have been farly typical and show a broad concensus to me. It fascinates me how much atheists can agree on, especially since there is no one book to follow on the topic.

You're right. They show a broad consensus. I wanted to see peoples thoughts on various ideas. What's the problem?
#280 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

I directed this towards atheists. Obviously, atheist's don't believe in Jesus' divinity. I thought that was understood. If I asked if they thought he was divine, and they said yes, then they aren't atheists. Question 8 I conceded too. Nobody else is having this issue, RA.brucewayne69

You might have done, but you couldn't resist answering your own questionnaire yourself a few posts ago. I couldn't conclude that it was exclusive to atheists then.

You are asking atheists about biblical miracles, (i.e. whether the ark of the covenant "had powers" and also about global floods), so it isn't so far-fetched to assume you might infer some denial of mystery in rejecting a physical Jesus.

I'm not particularly fussed about what issues other people are having. I prefer to think for myself. I was only interested in your following post:

The whole idea of atheism has to do with belief in (a) God(s)

#281 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

You're right. They show a broad consensus. I wanted to see peoples thoughts on various ideas. What's the problem?brucewayne69

There's no problem - only opinion and discussion. I apologize if you don't like my own line of questioning.

#282 Posted by whiskeystrike (12172 posts) -

brucewayne69

1) Don't know, don't care

2) Don't know, don't care

3) Don't know, don't care

4) I look down on some theists but not because they are theists

5) I don't have a problem with religion and support people's rights to worship as they please as long as they stay out of government, social issues and public education

6) No, but back before crazies took over the Republican party I would have voted Republican then, if I were alive at the time

7) Don't know, don't care

8) If it was proven??? No. I think the God that is portrayed by the Christian beliefs in the Old/New testament is far worse than any dictator, Stalin or Hitler we've ever known.

9) Be a good person and do the right thing. If some paradise or heaven does exist out there, there shouldn't be any other requirements to get in. Any deity sadistic enough to require some kind of blood sacrifice or who is selfish enough to require/desire some kind of eternal praiseis inherently not worthy of being worshiped. The belief that good people could be eternally punished for doing nothing wrong is a little bit on the side of crazy and should be seriously questioned.

#283 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] So everything we know about the Universe, you say, needs no control. Ok, I can accept that. So for example, most planets go around a star with gravitational laws and in a circle correct? (sorry if my terminology is bad, I'm not an astronomer). Did all these systems just appear from nowhere? and did they all just agree to go around the Sun for example?FelipeInside

I understand that, thanks for the explanation. But it works like this EVERY single time right?

depends on star type, type of death the star has, its mass, leftovers, etc.

#284 Posted by FelipeInside (28538 posts) -

wis3boi

Well, that was my point all along. I believe something made the formula to work like that every time. If it was all random, it wouldn't work so precise each time. That's my opinion anyway.
#285 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

i guess i'll answer the questionnaire.

1. Do you think the Ark of the Covenant ever existed, regardless of whether or not it had powers? No

2. Do you think Jesus ever existed? Most Likely Did

3. Do you think a Moses ever existed? I mean, the exodus happened, but whether or not they were led by Moses is up for debate. I'm inclined to believe he did exist, but i know the exodus was not an instantenous event, it happened over a longer period.

4. Do you look down on theists?Only the really really nutty ones. I call them. the crazies.

5. Do you disagree with organized religion? I'm over-time edging towards yes - i disagree.

6. Have you ever voted Republican?Yes for governor and smaller congressmen, if you present the best arguements, you have a moderated social conservatism, I would rather vote for him/her then a democrat who positions him/herself as a social progressive but presents the worst arguement and looks to be incompetent.

7. Did "Noah's Flood" ever happen? Global, regional, local scale whatever.Think it was local at best, then the story got blown up.

8. Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus? Or Jewish if a new messiah (proven) would come?Probably, but that's a big IF, and i'm willing to bet it'll never happen. but i'm big enough to admit i'm wrong when proven so.

9. Anything you would like to add. Not particularly. I tend to think of stories in religion, based on the archeology available as stories with a smattering of facts in them. Tend to think there might be some truth, but it isn't what was written down or what were told. That to me makes it more interesting but also useless to use if you wanna say the master of the Universe from Quarks/Leptons to the entirety of the Universe really gives a $hit whether you lied to your girlfriend or not.

#286 Posted by theone86 (20983 posts) -

brucewayne69

Probably. Ancient peoples carried relics into battle.

Probably, though I'm open to the possibility he didn't exist.

Moses did not exist and the exodus did not happen. There was a rebellion in Egyptian territories and citizens which was followed by many previously Egyptian citizens leaving said cities for a more idyllic life, but nothing as large-scale as in the Bible. And they weren't Israelites, the moniker was part of an ethnic identity developed by those refugees after they left Egypt.

Generally I don't have much respect for religious belief even if the person isn't a jerk about their religion. The exception would be individuals who are self-critical and genuinely want to discover deeper truths of the universe, but they're usually pretty far from traditional religion anyways. However, I do have respect for religious individuals who aren't jerks about their religion and I respect that religion is something they consider important, even if I don't hold their beliefs themselves in particularly high regard.

Absolutely.

No. I was Republican-leaning at one point in my life, but the only election that took place during that period that I could vote in I didn't vote.

What question are you asking? Was there ever a man who got in an arc with two animals of every kind? Not a chance. Was there ever a global flood? Possibly, I'd have to ask a scientist. Were there ever large regional floods? Definitely. It's believed that the reason Easter Island was ever able to be settled was because there was more land further out to sea because of decreased sea levels. So yes, it's very possible that there was some guy who got stuck on a (muc smaller) boat during a particularly bad regional flood and became the basis for a spoken-word folktale that eventually became part of the Bible, or it's possible that people who were familiar with such floods started this tale and it became part of their spoken-word tradition before being written down in the Bible. Did the tale itself actually happen? Not a chance.

How would you prove the second-coming? I really don't see any way that would be beyond doubt, unless he could snap his fingers and I would know, and then why wouldn't I believe? That just reveals one of the biggest holes in religion, there's this magical being in the sky that can do anything he pleases, and yet he needs us to believe in him without seeing proof. If there was a god and he could give such proof, then if he hasn't given it so far he isn't likely to give it ever.

#287 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I understand that, thanks for the explanation. But it works like this EVERY single time right?FelipeInside

Well, that was my point all along. I believe something made the formula to work like that every time. If it was all random, it wouldn't work so precise each time. That's my opinion anyway.

except I just said there is no set 'rules'

#288 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]I directed this towards atheists. Obviously, atheist's don't believe in Jesus' divinity. I thought that was understood. If I asked if they thought he was divine, and they said yes, then they aren't atheists. Question 8 I conceded too. Nobody else is having this issue, RA.RationalAtheist

You might have done, but you couldn't resist answering your own questionnaire yourself a few posts ago. I couldn't conclude that it was exclusive to atheists then.

You are asking atheists about biblical miracles, (i.e. whether the ark of the covenant "had powers" and also about global floods), so it isn't so far-fetched to assume you might infer some denial of mystery in rejecting a physical Jesus.

I'm not particularly fussed about what issues other people are having. I prefer to think for myself. I was only interested in your following post:

The whole idea of atheism has to do with belief in (a) God(s)

I did it simply because I felt compelled to. It's not as big a deal as you think it is. I have no ulterior motive. Buddy. I asked if you think there was an ark of the covenant. Powers regardless. I did not ask if it contained God's power. I asked if the physical arc ever existed. Your reading comprehension skills seem to be lacking. And I like to think for myself too. If you are implying that I don't, you are an idiot.
#289 Posted by tenaka2 (17053 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] So everything we know about the Universe, you say, needs no control. Ok, I can accept that. So for example, most planets go around a star with gravitational laws and in a circle correct? (sorry if my terminology is bad, I'm not an astronomer). Did all these systems just appear from nowhere? and did they all just agree to go around the Sun for example?FelipeInside

Not every time, not all stars have planets and some stars are eaten by black holes. Some stars dont explode but instead fade away and become red dwarfs (could be wrongh on this point as I don't know very much.)

#290 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

I did it simply because I felt compelled to. It's not as big a deal as you think it is. I have no ulterior motive. Buddy. I asked if you think there was an ark of the covenant. Powers regardless. I did not ask if it contained God's power. I asked if the physical arc ever existed. Your reading comprehension skills seem to be lacking. And I like to think for myself too. If you are implying that I don't, you are an idiot.

brucewayne69

I don't think it's a big deal, buddy. What sort of powers were you referring to if not divine ones? You inferred that the ark might have "powers".

My reading comprehension skills are good enough to examine your words, so please don't demean me unless you can justify it.

I think you're reading too much into my comments: I only said "I think for myself" in response to your fallacious argument from the majority in saying that "no-one else has this issue".

Is there really a need to be so insulting anyway? Consider that I have already apologised if you didn't like my own questioning...

#291 Posted by doofus117 (25 posts) -

brucewayne69
1. George Lucas brought it to life, as far as I'm concerned. 2. Certainly. He was raised in a Jewish community, and after years of thought, he began voicing his unorthodox views. The truth of his message is in the words, not the man who spoke them. He was crucified, which means he really must have pissed people off, and I think there's something to that. I have never heard of a man rising from the grave, so I figure that's part of the myth. 3. I think Moses went up into those mountains and wrote those ten commandments. (No, Mel Brooks, there were not fifteen.) And I think they were somewhat divinely inspired, as much as Bob Dylan's "The Times they Are a-changin." But their inherent truth, that lives in the words, separate from God and Moses, is why we still have the Ten Commandments around today. Not saying I follow them - but since we've kept them around there's gotta be something to 'em. 4. I look down on my penis and if my stomach ever gets in the way of that, I know it's time to make a change. 5. There are two goals: be able to sleep at night, and be excited to wake up in the morning. If religion gets you both of those, go for it. If you get one, leave the church. If you have neither, write. 6. Never voted. I think the ability to vote is far more important that actually voting. It's like getting a Porsche - that first day, it's your Porsche. But when your dog has a seizure and you're taking it to the vet, it's your car. And if it's still your Porsche, that's because your pissed off at Fido, and what his mouth foam is doing to your leather seat. 7. The fact that early civilizations in South America and Africa both came up with prehistoric flood myths suggests that there is something inherently human in the symbol of the flood. Whether or not the flood happened is unimportant. A flood-like thing happened to the dinosaurs. Ice ages are like Noah's flood, too. Many things are killed but not all. Floods like Noah's happen all the time. 8. If Jesus came back to life and resurrected a dead person in front of me, I would kick Jesus in the balls, tell him he's ruined the whole magic show, and promptly convince you all that he was indeed Satan in disguise. And then we'd crucify all over again. 9. Perhaps you should ask these questions to yourself. You could start by reading what Moses 'wrote,' and then what was written about Jesus - for old JC never wrote. And these are the gospels - Matt, Mark, Luke, and John. Check out Jesus' sermon on a mount. He sounds like he's inspiring us to a form of hobo-ness.
#292 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -

1. Do you think the Ark of the Covenant ever existed, regardless of whether or not it had powers? 2. Do you think Jesus ever existed? 3. Do you think a Moses ever existed? I mean, the exodus happened, but whether or not they were led by Moses is up for date. 4. Do you look down on theists? 5. Do you disagree with organized religion? 6. Have you ever voted Republican? 7. Did "Noah's Flood" ever happen? Global, regional, local scale whatever. 8. Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus? Or Jewish if a new messiah (proven) would come? 9. Anything you would like to add.

1) probably.

2) probably.

3) idk- regarding both moses and the exodus.

4) a bit

5) yes.

6) n/e

7) inclined to believe it happend on a regional scale.

8) yes

9) I haven't taken one of these useless inane polls in a while.

it's just like riding a bike

#293 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I understand that, thanks for the explanation. But it works like this EVERY single time right?FelipeInside

It doesn't work like that, there's a load of different types of stars, when some die they made blackholes, when others die they make pulsars, others make magnatars and other Neutron stars. Those are some that are created after a star dies or on it's way towards dying. Not counting the super massive explosions that others leave, some even obliterate entirely into dust destroying entire solar systems and other nearby stars, the biggest explosions in the universe and can outshine galaxies for a short period of time so hell to no if you ever thought the universe is controlled and wonderful, it's like standing on Normandy beach during the war, it's just a matter of time before a shell goes off close enough to get you.
#294 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

brucewayne69
No Yes, as a conman Up in the air I pity them for wasting their time on religion Yes. Corruption to say the least For financial only positions, I have. I could see a flash flood being turned into the story. No idea if it ever happened. All comes down to proof, doesn't it? Uh... Bababooi bababooi?
#295 Posted by Crypt_mx (4739 posts) -

brucewayne69

1: WTF is an Ark of the Covenant? Sounds like its from Halo.

2: Sure, there is reasonable proof suggesting that he did.

3. No probably not. Nothing out of certainty but it was just too long ago with too few sources listing his existence.

4: Nope, people should do whatever makes them happy.

5: I disagree with some, this is something I'd have to write a lot about. No I do not mind the Catholic Church for example and people believing in that, but I do disagreewith certain countries who abide by Islamic law, and as a result many innocent men and women are killed or imprisoned. That type of organized religion is a failure of the human race.

6: I am Canadian so no I have never voted Republican.

7: No, that is a fairy tale.

8: If there were a second coming of a messiah I would not become christian/catholic or anything else. Unless he could somehow prove himself/herself to me I would write him off as a psychopath, if he could prove himself I would believe but not begin attending church or anything like that.

9: Religious people have to stop being so offended by people who do not believe. I have been verbally assaulted by people who have approached me about my beliefs. In my experience religion does more evil than good, at least for the most part.

#296 Posted by MannyDelgado (1187 posts) -
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

The felipeinside algorithm: 1) Know f*ck all about something 2) Pull stuff out of arse about it 3) When people who actually have a clue explain how things really are, say I BELIEVE THAT GOD MADE THINGS THAT WAY 4) Goto 1
#297 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

JohnF111

It doesn't work like that, there's a load of different types of stars, when some die they made blackholes, when others die they make pulsars, others make magnatars and other Neutron stars. Those are some that are created after a star dies or on it's way towards dying. Not counting the super massive explosions that others leave, some even obliterate entirely into dust destroying entire solar systems and other nearby stars, the biggest explosions in the universe and can outshine galaxies for a short period of time so hell to no if you ever thought the universe is controlled and wonderful, it's like standing on Normandy beach during the war, it's just a matter of time before a shell goes off close enough to get you.

Yeah, existence itself is basically a cosmic shooting gallery. Someone, somehwere is going to have their day ruined.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#298 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30829 posts) -

tenaka2

Not every time, not all stars have planets and some stars are eaten by black holes. Some stars dont explode but instead fade away and become red dwarfs (could be wrongh on this point as I don't know very much.)

EDIT collapsed stars can become black holes themselves, or so the theory holds atm

#299 Posted by FelipeInside (28538 posts) -

MannyDelgado

The felipeinside algorithm: 1) Know f*ck all about something 2) Pull stuff out of arse about it 3) When people who actually have a clue explain how things really are, say I BELIEVE THAT GOD MADE THINGS THAT WAY 4) Goto 1

The MannyDelgado algorithm: 1) Never contribute anything to any topic like other respected posters do 2) Insult someone with a different opinion 3) Goto 1 To the other normal non-troll posters, thank you for the information you have provided about how the Universe works. It really is like landing on the Normandy Beach it seems.
#300 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

RationalAtheist

I don't think it's a big deal, buddy. What sort of powers were you referring to if not divine ones? You inferred that the ark might have "powers".

My reading comprehension skills are good enough to examine your words, so please don't demean me unless you can justify it.

I think you're reading too much into my comments: I only said "I think for myself" in response to your fallacious argument from the majority in saying that "no-one else has this issue".

Is there really a need to be so insulting anyway? Consider that I have already apologised if you didn't like my own questioning...

My God... I said, do you think that the arc existed? Regardless of powers or what not. Obviously, atheists wouldn't believe it has the power of God. It was quite obvious that I asked if you thought that there was ever a physical arc of the covenant. That is all. Come on man, you're smarter than that.