Arizona Bans Ethnic Studies | Racist ****s Run Arizona

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 0

#1 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

Link here

Sorry if old

"The measure prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group. It also prohibits classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government.

The part of that bill that is puzzling is that is bans classes "that are designed primarily for students of a particular race." This seems alarmingly subjective. While this sentence is meant to target classes like "African-American History" or "Latin American Literature," wouldn't it also include classes focused on Romantic Literature or Victorian Literature since only one one race's works would be taught? The ambiguity in that language leaves itself open to so much manipulation.

State schools chief Tom Horne told the Huffington Post that the Mexican-American studies programs teach students that they were oppressed by White people, causing them to resent the race. They don't want this to happen."

They don't resent white people idiot, they just resent what those specific white people did to them.

Hooray for idiots. Arizona is ran by some backwards ass idiots.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

This is pretty old (I think), but I don't think it's been posted. Well, I don't see how this is defensible.

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

To be honest i really dont give a poop about this anymore. In like, 100 years races will be so spread around the globe, its not gona matter

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
It sounds like this is just for Tucson's school district so it isn't TOO bad...but still, I'm not sure what the point of banning something like an African-American History c|ass is. :?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

It doesn't sound like they are trying to take out black or latin history classes because anyone can take those.

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

What do they mean by white oppression? Like slavery? Or how the whites made the Indians leave their lands into reservations?

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
Good for AZ. Classes should teach American solidarity. Yes, ethnic history should be taught, but it shouldn't be catered to a certain group of people.
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kidsmelly

It doesn't sound like they are trying to take out black or latin history classes because anyone can take those.

Pirate700

Yea they are not banning but I just want to know what they can and can not teach.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
In all honesty I think this should be a really easy law to get around if the school district wanted. The district can just claim that white students might also want to take a class for African-American History and it should be fine, right?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

kidsmelly

Yea they are not banning but I just want to know what they can and can not teach.

True. This just sounds like another proposed law where people like the TC jump to conclusions about its purpose. As someone else said, schools should be teaching American solidarity anyway. From what I've read, I'm not against this proposition unless I'm misunderstanding its actual intents. The proposition is to do away with classes that are FOR specific races. Not about.

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kidsmelly

In all honesty I think this should be a really easy law to get around if the school district wanted. The district can just claim that white students might also want to take a class for African-American History and it should be fine, right? JML897

They are not baning the classes

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 psychobrew
In all honesty I think this should be a really easy law to get around if the school district wanted. The district can just claim that white students might also want to take a class for African-American History and it should be fine, right? JML897
White students should.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SgtKevali

"ban classes designed for a particular race"

It seems clear what they're trying to do. This is so vague, it can be used in a lot of ways.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

I guess we'll have to send them another message!

the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_new_guy_92
Member since 2009 • 884 Posts

This reminds me of the fact that several districts banned curriculum about the Old South because they felt it made black students resent whites. Soon districts will start banning teaching of the civil rights movement, once enough people forget about it.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SgtKevali

This reminds me of the fact that several districts banned curriculum about the Old South because they felt it made black students resent whites. Soon districts will start banning teaching of the civil rights movement, once enough people forget about it.

the_new_guy_92

There was something in Texas about removing Civil Rights leaders from history textbooks.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Stupid. Blatant censorship. Jan Brewer is a Nazi, we already know this. Arizona is such an ass backwards state. Sickening.
CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

SaintLeonidas

A message or insta-genocide?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pirate700

Stupid. Blatant censorship. Jan Brewer is a Nazi, we already know this. Arizona is such an ass backwards state. Sickening.-Halftime-
AZ is actually one of the best run states in the union. And this isn't censorship. It's regulating what's taught in public schools. :|

the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"]Stupid. Blatant censorship. Jan Brewer is a Nazi, we already know this. Arizona is such an ass backwards state. Sickening.Pirate700

AZ is actually one of the best run states in the union. And this isn't censorship. It's regulating what's taught in public schools. :|

Yes, regulating the truth and facts..
JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts
I have to say the timing for this could not have been any worse.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"]Stupid. Blatant censorship. Jan Brewer is a Nazi, we already know this. Arizona is such an ass backwards state. Sickening.the_new_guy_92

It's not regulating any facts. The proposed law (and that's the key word here) would make it illegal to have classes that are solely for (not about) students of a specific race. Classes such as black or latin American history would not be banned.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

CosmicZombie

A message or insta-genocide?

Hell yes

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

The only problem is that it's too subjective.

Does this mean african american studies classes are illegal?

What about a class that teaches a specific language?

Too subjective, as such it probably wouldn't stand if tested.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 psychobrew
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]AZ is actually one of the best run states in the union. And this isn't censorship. It's regulating what's taught in public schools. :|

It's not regulating any facts. The proposed law (and that's the key word here) would make it illegal to have classes that are solely for (not about) students of a specific race. Classes such as black or latin American history would not be banned.

And all students would be treated the same.
the_new_guy_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_new_guy_92

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]AZ is actually one of the best run states in the union. And this isn't censorship. It's regulating what's taught in public schools. :|

Pirate700

It's BS. The classes that are being targeted are the same classes used around the nation. That focus on minority history, I have never seen a latin/black history class that only had the involved ethnicity in it. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_re_us/us_arizona_ethnic_studies this quote says it all, and you know what this is about. "Public schools should not be encouraging students to resent a particular race, he said. "It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said."
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pixel-Pirate

Pirate700

Where in this law does it say that? It's too subjective to me. I can interpret "for specific races" as "well...only black people will want to learn about african american history. Thus the class is just for them. Ban it".

Also does this extend to all classes or only ones run by the state specifically? Would private schools be affected? Could I make the case that a muslim school is specifically for arabic people and thus cannot exist in arizona?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"] Yes, regulating the truth and facts..Pixel-Pirate

Where in this law does it say that? It's too subjective to me. I can interpret "for specific races" as "well...only black people will want to learn about african american history. Thus the class is just for them. Ban it".

"... that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group.It also prohibits ****s that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government."

I agree it is a little vague but it's just a proposition. It it were to even pass it would of course be ironed out with more clarity. I agree with what seems to be what it's going for. In fact, this proposition seems to be aiming at a much more PC public school system in the state.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
What's the point of taking a course if it doesn't encourage me to overthrow the government?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

On one hand, it seems eminently reasonable to ban classes that are structured such that they cause a reasonable student to feel resentment towards members of a certain ethnic heritage.

On the other hand, I can't exactly see what benefit is reaped from banning classes that simply teach students about their own ethnic heritage, which this bill also seems to do.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pixel-Pirate

On one hand, it seems eminently reasonable to ban classes that are structured such that they cause a reasonable student to feel resentment towards members of a certain ethnic heritage.

On the other hand, I can't exactly see what benefit is reaped from banning classes that simply teach students about their own ethnic heritage, which this bill also seems to do.

GabuEx

Which I feel is a serious issue and not helping Arizonas image much.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pirate700

GabuEx

The bill is not tying to ban ban such classes. It specifically says classes that are designed for students of a specific race. Classes like black history or Latin history are not designed for a specific student/race's attendance. They would not be banned.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pixel-Pirate

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Pirate700

The bill is not tying to ban ban such classes. It specifically says classes that are designed for students of a specific race. Classes like black history or Latin history are not designed for a specific student/race's attendance. They would not be banned.

The problem is it's way too vague. If I was a lawyer I could easily debate that black history is meant specifically for black students.

MM555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 MM555
Member since 2006 • 1539 Posts

Let's not be foolish now. How many kids are gaining their cultural identity from history class?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Pixel-Pirate

The problem is it's way too vague. If I was a lawyer I could easily debate that black history is meant specifically for black students.

No you couldn't make that argument and expect it to have any ground. Black history month is for every race thus why it's tought in US history.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SgtKevali

Pirate700

Didn't it say designed for a specific race?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#38 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 46119 Posts

"However, I've never seen such blatant, institutionalized large-scale racism like we've seen in Arizona over the past month. First, there was SB 1070, which you might have heard of."

Well, that's one way to showcase bias, and stupidity. Immigration bill is by no means racist. It's borderline ridiculous to call it that. :|

Edit: Furthermore, I fail to see what's racist about this proposed bill.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="the_new_guy_92"] Yes, regulating the truth and facts..SgtKevali

Yes it did. Black history classes are not designed for a race though as it's part of US history and world history.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Pirate700

Well, we'll see.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]It's not regulating any facts. The proposed law (and that's the key word here) would make it illegal to have classes that are solely for (not about) students of a specific race. Classes such as black or latin American history would not be banned.

Pirate700

Yes it did. Black history classes are not designed for a race though as it's part of US history and world history.

But that's what they're going to argue. You can dismiss that argument, but don't think the people in charge will.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 47926 Posts

You know, if this were any other country with a rich, millenia-old history I could understand this concept.

But its not

This is America...a nation of immigrants. Preventing ethnic studies is, in my opinion, one of the most un-American things you can do. The whole beauty of this country is its diversity; diversity of environment, diversity of religion, and diversity of culture and peoples.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Well, we'll see.

You're right, we will see. I doubt we'll ever even hear about this again anyway. It's just a random proposition. :lol:

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]The bill is not tying to ban ban such classes. It specifically says classes that are designed for students of a specific race. Classes like black history or Latin history are not designed for a specific student/race's attendance. They would not be banned.

Pirate700

Well, we'll see.

You're right, we will see. I doubt we'll ever even hear about this again anyway. It's just a random proposition. :lol:

But what would we have left if we couldn't argue about things that ultimately don't affect us at all? :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 47926 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Well, we'll see.

GabuEx

But what would we have left if we couldn't argue about things that ultimately don't affect us at all? :P

happiness and the ability to get along with our fellow man?

;)

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46404 Posts

Doesn't sound like they are banning it...

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]You're right, we will see. I doubt we'll ever even hear about this again anyway. It's just a random proposition. :lol:

mrbojangles25

happiness and the ability to get along with our fellow man?

;)

Right, we'd have nothing at all.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10791 Posts

If the federal government did their job and enforced immigration laws, people wouldn't be overreacting with xenophobia and asinine "make a statement" state laws.

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
Arizona is and embarrassment to this country. I'm taking a Mexican-American Literature class in college right now. It doesn't have anything to do with hating White people. We don't even talk about White people. We talk about literature, Mexican-American literature. :|
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46404 Posts
Arizona is and embarrassment to this country. I'm taking a Mexican-American Literature class in college right now. It doesn't have anything to do with hating White people. We don't even talk about White people. We talk about literature, Mexican-American literature. :|Tauruslink
How is this? They are not banning ethnic studies classes and they aren't racial profiling with their new law.