Argentinian dog stays by his master's grave for six years

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Link (sorry if old)

Easily the most heartwarming news article I've read this week; it almost made me tear up. What a lovely dog. :3

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

Seen a number of these, and they're heart-warming. May family lab would be like "F*ck you, i'm out", but my own dachshund would be heartbroken :(

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ghoklebutter

Seen a number of these, and they're heart-warming. May family lab would be like "F*ck you, i'm out", but my own dachshund would be heartbroken :(

lundy86_4
The good thing is that most dogs are very loyal and loving. In fact, that's the main reason I want a dog.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

ghoklebutter
The good thing is that most dogs are very loyal and loving. In fact, that's the main reason I want a dog.

They're great, but they are like children. Very high maintenance animals.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

ghoklebutter

My hound has attachment issues, since we are together for most of the time. When I go out and leave him, he whines constantly, then always does a sulking act by pinning his ears back and giving me hard-done-by looks when I get home.

borisalpha.jpg

Boris, earlier today.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

ghoklebutter

Yep, they certainly can be. I treat all my dogs exceptionally well, and make sure they are well looked after, and they are fantastic. Certain breeds are attention-hungry (my Dachshund) and some are independent (the family Labrador).

So long as you have the time available, you should totally get a dog. There are breeds for all people (different temperaments, sizes and shedding degrees).

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

RationalAtheist

My hound has attachment issues, since we are together for most of the time. When I go out and leave him, he whines constantly, then always does a sulking act by pinning his ears back and giving me hard-done-by looks when I get home.

borisalpha.jpg

Boris, earlier today.

Dawwww he looks so much like my old rot weiler.:(

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghoklebutter

Yep, they certainly can be. I treat all my dogs exceptionally well, and make sure they are well looked after, and they are fantastic. Certain breeds are attention-hungry (my Dachshund) and some are independent (the family Labrador).

So long as you have the time available, you should totally get a dog. There are breeds for all people (different temperaments, sizes and shedding degrees).

lundy86_4
I'll probably get a border collie, because the border collie that my step-dad owns is one of the nicest dogs I've ever met.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
This is an example of when teaching your dog to 'stay' or 'heel' might not necessarily be in his best overall interests...
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

This made me sad. :(

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts
excuse me, i need to go hug my dog..
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Link (sorry if old)

Easily the most heartwarming news article I've read this week; it almost made me tear up. What a lovely dog. :3

ghoklebutter
That dog's attachment to his master after the man's passing is quite peculiar.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] The good thing is that most dogs are very loyal and loving. In fact, that's the main reason I want a dog.TwistedShade

borisalpha.jpg

Boris, earlier today.

Dawwww he looks so much like my old rot weiler.:(

I've got a Rottie, they're great family dogs. I honestly don't know why people fear them so much. Anyway that's a great pic.

Sad story though.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

ghoklebutter

I'll probably get a border collie, because the border collie that my step-dad owns is one of the nicest dogs I've ever met.

Absolutely lovely dogs. I was always a big dog guy, until my ex got a mini-Dachshund named "Sushi"... Since then, I got my own named "Moca".

Border Collies are great dogs, i've known a number of people with them. I grew up in the UK before I emigrated, where many of my friends were from farming families.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lundy86_4

borisalpha.jpg

Boris, earlier today.

RationalAtheist

Awesome dog is awesome. I pity you for dealing with slobber. Our lab is bad enough :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts
Seems unlikely...
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lundy86_4

Seems unlikely...LJS9502_basic

Why?

villa4europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 villa4europe
Member since 2004 • 7081 Posts

a poor mans greyfriars bobby

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Seems unlikely...lundy86_4

Why?

Because animals really don't have long memories...
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

awesome. let's see cats do that. dogs>cats :P

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Reminds me of...

tumblr_li2bd32sL71qcn7d7.jpg

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Seems unlikely...LJS9502_basic

Why?

Perhaps the master's scent played a role, and then the dog just remembered where the scent came from. Maybe I'm assuming too much, though.
villa4europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 villa4europe
Member since 2004 • 7081 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Why?

ghoklebutter

Perhaps the master's scent played a role, and then the dog just remembered where the scent came from. Maybe I'm assuming too much, though.

like i said, the original famous dog hanging round the grave story, greyfriars bobby, 14 years, theres statues and alsorts round edinburgh

come back when you've got an actual story argies...

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ghoklebutter

awesome. let's see cats do that. dogs>cats :P

rocinante_
As a former owner of three cats, I can safely say that, while cats can be cruel and selfish, they can also be absolutely wonderful creatures. For instance, my oldest cat once saved my brother from being bitten by a spider. And the same cat also used to bring in dead birds as gifts - of course, those so-called gifts were disgusting, but it was still heartwarming. Cats do that when they want to either "teach" others to hunt or reward them.
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
this is why dogs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cats
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

having dogs should be mandatory.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Incoming rant but there's not much more to say to this topic anyway. Slightly... off-topic:

I remember a thread on Gamespot which basically said: If you had rescue either a complete stranger or your dog, which one would you rescue?

This is why I get so frustrated. Because so many in that thread claimed to own a dog yet they didn't hesitate at all to rescue the stranger instead. A pet, and especially a dog, *should* (because as I just mentioned, most don't give a **** about them) be like a family member. The article is yet another example of how wonderful dogs are and I believe there was not too long ago, some article how a dog rescued a child or so from a burning house yeah? Look how loving and loyal these are, yet most dog owners wouldn't hesitate a second to just throw them away or take their life for all kind of petty, selfish, greedy reasons.

For some reason, many claim these animals hold little value, like mere objects, just because they can't reason properly or because they can't calculate squareroots and what not. This is the case for all animals, another thing that springs to mind is a magazine, a sender asked the magazine what they should do with their troublesome cat. Apparently, the family had a kitten, that wouldn't stop biting them and they considered whether they should put the kitten down or not, messed up really. But to me, those people are inferior in my eyes. :evil:

So quick to start thinking about putting it down, there's crap loads of explanations and solutions but while human tend to go out of their way to find reasons for human to live ("sure he killed 90~ people but he might be rehabilitated if he gets to stay in a hotel room omg he must liveeeeee") but it's the opposite for animals, as soon as things don't go their way, they just start to look for reasons to put the little sucker down. ("omg, a kitten is playing with me, should he die?")

So to bump this old topic: I'd rescue the dog because it's a loved family member that really appreciates me and there is no way I could be cold enough to stab that loyal little guy in the back only to rescue a total stranger which most likely would respond "money" to the question "would you rescue a stranger or receive billions of money". I don't see how a total stranger could possibly hold more value than a loved family member.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghoklebutter

Incoming rant but there's not much more to say to this topic anyway. Slightly... off-topic:

I remember a thread on Gamespot which basically said: If you had rescue either a complete stranger or your dog, which one would you rescue?

This is why I get so frustrated. Because so many in that thread claimed to own a dog yet they didn't hesitate at all to rescue the stranger instead. A pet, and especially a dog, *should* (because as I just mentioned, most don't give a **** about them) be like a family member. The article is yet another example of how wonderful dogs are and I believe there was not too long ago, some article how a dog rescued a child or so from a burning house yeah? Look how loving and loyal these are, yet most dog owners wouldn't hesitate a second to just throw them away or take their life for all kind of petty, selfish, greedy reasons.

For some reason, many claim these animals hold little value, like mere objects, just because they can't reason properly or because they can't calculate squareroots and what not. This is the case for all animals, another thing that springs to mind is a magazine, a sender asked the magazine what they should do with their troublesome cat. Apparently, the family had a kitten, that wouldn't stop biting them and they considered whether they should put the kitten down or not, messed up really. But to me, those people are inferior in my eyes. :evil:

So quick to start thinking about putting it down, there's crap loads of explanations and solutions but while human tend to go out of their way to find reasons for human to live ("sure he killed 90~ people but he might be rehabilitated if he gets to stay in a hotel room omg he must liveeeeee") but it's the opposite for animals, as soon as things don't go their way, they just start to look for reasons to put the little sucker down. ("omg, a kitten is playing with me, should he die?")

So to bump this old topic: I'd rescue the dog because it's a loved family member that really appreciates me and there is no way I could be cold enough to stab that loyal little guy in the back only to rescue a total stranger which most likely would respond "money" to the question "would you rescue a stranger or receive billions of money". I don't see how a total stranger could possibly hold more value than a loved family member.

xWoW_Rougex

Very good point. When you really think about it, the tendency to favor a human life over an animal life in this situation is just arbitrary. I've always thought the same thing regarding my cats; it never made sense for me to only care about getting my human family members out of, say, a burning house. Anthropocentrism is silly.

I think the main reason behind this absurd judgment is that most people actually don't care about their pets as much as they claim to. Or maybe they just care about their pets for purely selfish reasons.

undergroundLPx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 undergroundLPx
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

Wow, beautiful story. I love animals but dogs have a special place in my heart. Very moving story.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

What a strange affliction you seem to have. Luckly your dog wouldn't be able to communicate with you on how disappointed it is in you for letting the other person fall to their death. I guess that is why some love their pets so much. That whole love is never questioned. Easy to satisfy. Easy to treat well. Easy to live with.

However I'd say that the human is more potentially more important. But pff. We all make selfish decisions that help ourselves the most.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

this is why cats>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dogsGamingVengeance

Fixed.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Because animals really don't have long memories...villa4europe

like i said, the original famous dog hanging round the grave story, greyfriars bobby, 14 years, theres statues and alsorts round edinburgh

come back when you've got an actual story argies...

Bobby was a publicity stunt to bring in tourists, the people in Edinburgh of course refused to acknolewdge that since the city wanted to be known for at least SOMETHING. :P

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xWoW_Rougex

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

CreasianDevaili

letting the other person fall to their death..

I can either pick between a loved family member that I know ,although more naive and not as intelligent as a human being, is a good, happy, loyal and loving being. Or I could pick the stranger, and let's face it, most human are ignorant, hateful, greedy and selfish and this proof is all around us, including me and you as well. Just take a look at System Wars or the middle east or pretty much any place. This is why I like animals, no backstabbing or dirty schemes or hidden agendas, they're more simple and I like that.

Can you tell me why I should prioritize the human? Just because it's a human, because we're the same race? You'd save a complete douchebag instead? Why?

Basically here's how it goes:
Either I can save the dog and the person will die, in that case, I'll never know what kind of person it was but most likely some kind of family would be sad.
Or...
I can save the human, and the human might turn out to be a complete tool (or not) and guess what? Me and my family will be mourning instead.

Again:
Dog : me + family = happy, some family will *probably* be sad.
Human: Me and my family would be sad, other family will be happy.

So once again:
Dog: one family will be happy, guaranteed good being saved
Human: one family will be sad, possibly bad person saved.

Clear choice to me.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Can you tell me why I should prioritize the human? Just because it's a human, because we're the same race? You'd save a complete douchebag instead? Why?

xWoW_Rougex

Why would you assume that he's a douchebag? Would you rather save someone that would likely die in a few years, or someone who has a lot of years in front of them? Because dogs don't live as long as humans do...

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bloodling

If I decided to save my pet instead of a human being, I wouldn't be happy about it... I would be extremely ashamed of myself...

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xWoW_Rougex

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

bloodling

Why would you assume that he's a douchebag?

Would you rather save someone that would likely die in a few years, or someone who has a lot of years in front of them? Because dogs don't live as long as humans do...

Oh, that statement wasn't specifically refering to this whole "complete stranger" thing. I was just adding another kind of a follow up question, assuming it wasn't a stranger, and it actually was a total douchebag, you'd still save the douchebag anyway?

As for the age question, it's a pretty good point actually but I still stand by what I said in my last post, no matter the age of those involved. (about the whole guarnateed good dog and loved family member vs saving a stranger).

Anyway all of that was just about a fictional story anyway but the point is that I think that humans are sometimes valued too high while animals too low, wish it would be equal'd out a bit.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bloodling

Oh, that statement wasn't specifically refering to this whole "complete stranger" thing. I was just adding another kind of a follow up question, assuming it wasn't a stranger, and it actually was a total douchebag, you'd still save the douchebag anyway?

xWoW_Rougex

If I considered that person a douchebag, I would still save them, no question about it.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bloodling

Anyway all of that was just about a fictional story anyway but the point is that I think that humans are sometimes valued too high while animals too low, wish it would be equal'd out a bit.

xWoW_Rougex

I value animal life very highly, but I value human life even more.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#39 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
So where does it release it's bowels when it has to "go"? I bet the guy beside him likes being the fire hydrant.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

So where does it release it's bowels when it has to "go"? I bet the guy beside him likes being the fire hydrant.Pittfan666

Maybe there's a grave of a mailman nearby?

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

Reminds me of...

tumblr_li2bd32sL71qcn7d7.jpg

dercoo

This.

Touching!

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
Heart warming story which I had similar experience. It's true when they say dog is man's best friend.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Beautiful

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

bloodling

Why would you assume that he's a douchebag? Would you rather save someone that would likely die in a few years, or someone who has a lot of years in front of them? Because dogs don't live as long as humans do...

by that logic saving a random crow is also prior to saving stephen hawking.because the crow is most likely going to live longer.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

VaguelyTagged

by that logic saving a random a random crow is also prior to saving stephen hawking.because the crow is most likely going to live longer.

There's obviously more to it than that. I went on to say that I consider human life to be more valuable than an animal's life in a later post.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i think hachi is on netflix now.

it's the story of the akita Hachikothat waited at the train station for 9 years for his masters return.

thumbnail.aspx?q=4939887387281879&id=453

his memorial.

thumbnail.aspx?q=4632299028678359&id=f6d

dogs are wonderful animals.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
He's a beautful dog.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
Let's hook it up at use it as bait for sharks like the Frenchman were doing.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Seems unlikely...LJS9502_basic

Why?

Maybe we know less about animals than we, with our usual superiority stance, believe.

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

xWoW_Rougex

letting the other person fall to their death..

I can either pick between a loved family member that I know ,although more naive and not as intelligent as a human being, is a good, happy, loyal and loving being. Or I could pick the stranger, and let's face it, most human are ignorant, hateful, greedy and selfish and this proof is all around us, including me and you as well. Just take a look at System Wars or the middle east or pretty much any place. This is why I like animals, no backstabbing or dirty schemes or hidden agendas, they're more simple and I like that.

Basically here's how it goes:
Either I can save the dog and the person will die, in that case, I'll never know what kind of person it was but most likely some kind of family would be sad.
Or...
I can save the human, and the human might turn out to be a complete tool (or not) and guess what? Me and my family will be mourning instead.

Again:
Dog : me + family = happy, some family will *probably* be sad.
Human: Me and my family would be sad, other family will be happy.

So once again:
Dog: one family will be happy, guaranteed good being saved
Human: one family will be sad, possibly bad person saved.

Clear choice to me.

What if it was a little child?