Are you of mixed ethnicity?

#1 Posted by Mandzilla (3628 posts) -

If so, what's the mix? I've got a Spanish mum and a Welsh dad.

Also, as a somewhat related question has anyone ever dabbled with genealogy research to explore your roots? I'm thinking of having a go at compiling a family tree.

#2 Posted by Byshop (19471 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

Also, as a somewhat related question has anyone ever dabbled with genealogy research to explore your roots? I'm thinking of having a go at compiling a family tree.

Yes. "Half"rican American. Irish, Western Europe, and a lotta different regions in Africa (according to Ancestry DNA).

-Byshop

#3 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1171 posts) -

My father is a white German and my mother is a brown Peruvian. I don't know anything about their ancestry. I don't care to, honestly.

#4 Posted by Mandzilla (3628 posts) -

@Byshop: "Half"rican American haha, love it. Wow, that is a cool combo though.

I'll need to check out Ancestry DNA myself.

#5 Edited by Mandzilla (3628 posts) -

@ezekiel43: Oh man I love Peru, have you ever had the chance to visit there? Ah right, I'm guessing quite a lot of Americans have some German or Irish in them.

Hey I get what you mean about not caring, where you come from isn't important of course. I pretty much just want to see if I've got any interesting ancestors lol.

#6 Edited by DEVILinIRON (4666 posts) -

My father is of Norwegian ancestry and my mother mostly Guamanian (from the island of Guam) and a bit of Filipino mixed in.

I don't really feel the need to use one of those genealogy services. I'm satisfied with what I know.

#7 Posted by Robbie23 (232 posts) -

Yes, I'm half Syrian half Lebanese.

#8 Posted by Speeny (1267 posts) -

My dad's side is pretty much just all white. (English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish.) There could even be some Australian Aboriginal in there possibly though. (Great grandmother on his side looked very aboriginal and had darker skin.)

My mum's side is a mixture between English, Italian and South American. There's also some Swiss in me as well.

#9 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43313 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

I have not, but my parents have (so I guess I indirectly have?). They did not do the 23-and-Me (the Google one), but I think the Ancestry.com one.

The results came back as mostly "West European" which is vague as hell. My folks are German and Scottish for the most part according to non-genetic records, but I am sure there is a whole mix of crap in there. Interestingly enough my dad was 1% black African, 2% Hispanic, which I thought was interesting.

@ezekiel43 said:

My father is a white German and my mother is a brown Peruvian. I don't know anything about their ancestry. I don't care to, honestly.

Nice, Peruvian food is amazing!

Yeah not caring is fine, because frankly it doesn't (shouldn't?) matter, but it's fun to celebrate your heritage. Like its food :D

Wish my family cooked more German meals. Scottish not so much, though :D though I do enjoy my kilt I wear on really hot days, get's a nice breeze up there :P

#10 Posted by hugoadan (175 posts) -

i'm from south america, pretty much everyone is of mixed ethnicity around here. i myself have spanish and guarani (aboriginal) blood running through my veins. but i never cared too much about it to trace the origins of my surname and stuff, interesting topic though.

#11 Posted by dark_drag765 (1017 posts) -

They updated ancestry results this year for free.

My new results 73% England Wales, Northwestern Europe

24% Ireland and Scotland

3% France

#12 Posted by npiet1 (1808 posts) -

German/Sri Lankan.

#13 Posted by kingoftheapes (28 posts) -

I'm half-white, half-Asian

#14 Posted by shellcase86 (4290 posts) -

Mother: Scott

Father: African American

#15 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (25203 posts) -

Yup. I'm a mutt. Spaniard, Chinese, and Philippine blood are in my veins. Of course, everyone here thinks I'm Hispanic which means I fit right in. ;)

Being born in Japan just muddles things up more.

#16 Edited by uninspiredcup (31458 posts) -

Lots of fellow Scots.

#pride

#17 Posted by carljohnsonCJ (358 posts) -

I'm pure Indian.

#18 Posted by MirkoS77 (13843 posts) -

My father is mostly German with some Polish and English, and my mother’s Hawaiian.

#19 Posted by plageus900 (2640 posts) -

Mom: German

Dad: German / Austrian

Yup, I'm mixed.

lol

#20 Posted by Jag85 (13118 posts) -

Technically, most people in the world are probably of mixed ethnicity, in some way or another. That's what most DNA test results often show.

#21 Edited by Gaming-Planet (19839 posts) -

I'm a full blown mutt.

I'm mixed with multiple ethnicity but mainly of Hispanic ethnicity. Both parents from Guatemala with Mayan and European descent (Spanish, Italian, German, Turkey), although lack the melanin often seen with indigenous people.

It's weird, born with brown straight hair with slight blondish tint and green asianic eyes. People ask me where I come from all the time because they know I don't look Caucasian or Hispanic enough. I'm really just a product of all the wars that have happened in the last few centuries.

#22 Posted by Litchie (23284 posts) -

No, I'm sadly really swedish. Wouldn't mind some other dna.. :p

My last name suggests my ancestors came from germany or austria or something. I don't really care that much.

#23 Posted by BlackBalls (1498 posts) -

Yes. Mother was Spanish/Puerto Rican.

Dominican father.

#24 Posted by Jackamomo (2161 posts) -

1/8 Yugoslavian. 1/4 Welsh. 1/8 Irish, some Scottish. Going back to the middle ages, French or 'Saxon'.

Probably some Nordic scandinavian from Viking invasions.

So on reflection, about 45% celt, 45% saxon and 10% nordic.

#25 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (1731 posts) -

According to my DNA test:

- 63.3% North European

- 28.3% British Isles

- 18.4% Ashkenazi Jewish

#26 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15764 posts) -

I am not, mostly have ancestors in Eastern Europe

#28 Posted by mumunaro (135 posts) -

The real question is who isnt a mixed ethnicity at this age lol

#29 Posted by shellcase86 (4290 posts) -

@mumunaro said:

The real question is who isnt a mixed ethnicity at this age lol

Good point!

#30 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58842 posts) -

I'm white like the fresh snow in Alaska.

#31 Posted by foxhound_fox (97760 posts) -

No, mostly a mutt from the United Kingdom as far as I know. But my wife and I have Ancestry kits that we have to send in to find out for sure.

#33 Posted by Mandzilla (3628 posts) -

Good points made by those who mentioned we are all pretty mixed at this point lol. And hey, thanks for all the responses folks. Has been interesting to read everyone's backgrounds. 😃

I'm for sure gonna check out one of those DNA kits now to maybe get a better approximation of my breakdown.

#34 Posted by DaVillain- (34965 posts) -

I'm half Black/Puerto Rican. I am majority African-American but my Great Grandma on my mom's side was 50% Puerto Rican & my Dad is Black.

#35 Edited by livingdeadman (142 posts) -

Nope, mostly pureblood but have some Portugese

#36 Posted by PernicioEnigma (6031 posts) -

I got a DNA test a few years back to estimate my ancestry. I'm almost entirely British/Scottish with a bit of Norway/Scandinavia mixed in.

#37 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1171 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

@ezekiel43: Oh man I love Peru, have you ever had the chance to visit there? Ah right, I'm guessing quite a lot of Americans have some German or Irish in them.

Hey I get what you mean about not caring, where you come from isn't important of course. I pretty much just want to see if I've got any interesting ancestors lol.

No, I've never been. Probably never will. I don't make very much money and traveling alone doesn't seem much fun anyway.

#38 Posted by Mandzilla (3628 posts) -

@ezekiel43: Ah okay, I know the feeling lol.

#39 Edited by Katarinawoods (1 posts) -

I think that such mixed marriages lead to very beautiful children with an unusual appearance. Here, for example, I have a dad from Ireland and therefore my red hair is visible a mile away. I myself am looking for a couple usually on dating sites https://meetville.com/catalog. I am calm about traveling, traveling, so it’s not hard for me to come or go somewhere.