Are you glad that GS forums, including OT, are dying?

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Master_Live

Poll Are you glad that GS forums, including OT, are dying? (68 votes)

Yes 26%
No 74%

I am. People here warned Gamespot staff that, based on beta testing, the new changes weren't welcomed. Then the changes came and people complained but the "fixes" have been coming at a turtle's pace. Days, weeks have passed and this site is still a mess. Saturday night and this place is a desert. You reap what you sow.

• 
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

Nah, kinda sad to see it how it is now though

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

No... As someone who has been posting here regularly since 2005, it somewhat saddens me to see what these forums have become.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I'm not sad at all. I just prefer to remain delusional like the staff and a few of the users that things will get better.

Sarcasm aside, I'm pissed and if this was my site I'd fire everyone who thought this was a great idea. How fucking arrogant can the management here be to think that a major overhaul that would literally convert this site into an almost entirely new site would be welcomed by the faithful users who came and stayed here because of the old site. They should have just reskinned the original site. I thought the whole purpose of the change was to make this place run better. Morons.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

between GS, YT and a few other sites, it seems forcing unwanted things on people and pretending it's for the better is like some sort of business tactic.

cognitive dissonance ftw!

Kvothe_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kvothe_Stark
Member since 2010 • 360 Posts

I didn't even post on the old Gamestop enough to care about the layout, but after seeing the fiasco that it's turned into, I do miss it. Really, I remember on the old forums, posts would fall off the front page in around an hour so. Now an entire day can pass before that happens. If that's not an indicator of a dead forum, I don't know what is.

And yes, I am glad that it's dying. Maybe websites will learn that changing something that was functioning just fine for years for no reason except to change it is a stupid idea and may result in your userbase deserting you.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts

What exactly is wrong with the new forums? The only real problem that I can see is that nobody is using them. I think they work pretty well. Posting on them is certainly better, mainly because the old forums were buggy as hell.

As for Gamespot in general, the only thing is that the Home page of the site is messy, but the subsections are better IMO. Like finding specific shows is heaps easier than it used to be. It kinda needed an overhaul.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Nope. This forum was always a great time killer. Now it's just dead. :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Glad? Good lord no. Surprised? Not in the slightest.

If GS really wanted the forums to be a proper community, they would have fixed all the issues they could within the first couple weeks. Now it's just a joke that there are still crippling problems.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I am not glad. What has happened to this site is a shame. I expected better.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Quite sad.

If I recall, OT used to be more lively than SW. Now OT doesn't even get 1/3 of the activity SW gets. Which is even worse because SW is a shell of its former self too.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts
@Leejjohno said:

Saturday night? Dude you had everybody worried... They're all out partying. Like anybody would be on here on a Saturday night.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@Kvothe_Stark said:

I didn't even post on the old Gamestop enough to care about the layout, but after seeing the fiasco that it's turned into, I do miss it. Really, I remember on the old forums, posts would fall off the front page in around an hour so. Now an entire day can pass before that happens. If that's not an indicator of a dead forum, I don't know what is.

And yes, I am glad that it's dying. Maybe websites will learn that changing something that was functioning just fine for years for no reason except to change it is a stupid idea and may result in your userbase deserting you.

Nice avi

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Nah, it's a shame really. GS was a big time waster for me.

Well, life goes on. *pour out some liquor*

ReturnedBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By ReturnedBro
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

The lack of activity in this forum has virtually nothing to do with the bugginess of the forum software. It's really sad that you more tenured members don't see the true causes.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Why have people left?

ReturnedBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ReturnedBro

@SolidSnake35 said:

Why have people left?

You really don't know? Not one person in this thread has even come close to the true reasons.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Twisted14

I have also asked the same question. I've been using these forums for a long time now and I really don't see the issue with the new ones. I'd like to know what issue everybody else has with it.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#22 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I don't know because I rarely come here. I didn't realise things were this bad...

ReturnedBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReturnedBro

@Twisted14 said:

I have also asked the same question. I've been using these forums for a long time now and I really don't see the issue with the new ones. I'd like to know what issue everybody else has with it.

The diminished activity on this board has nothing to do with the new design of the forums.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

@Twisted14 said:

The loss of AU Discussion and the other regional forums is an issue for me. As an old regular, I'm surprised this isn't for you.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Twisted14

Right, I got that. What is the reason?

The other problem I have is that the Australian board is gone and is now reduced to a single thread which i only just discovered. That situation is pretty shitty, what is the reason for everyone else?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

GameSpot needs a Google+ takeover

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#28 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

@returnedbro said:

You really don't know? Not one person in this thread has even come close to the true reasons.

Enlighten us oh great one.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Twisted14

@mjc said:

@Twisted14 said:

The loss of AU Discussion and the other regional forums is an issue for me. As an old regular, I'm surprised this isn't for you.

Posted what I said there before I saw your post here. It is an issue for me, I just didn't mention it. The thing is everybody is upset about something, however the OT and General Discussion boards are still here. So are platform specific boards. So I don't really get what it is that people have an issue with. The only thing I could think of is the layout, which I don't have an issue with, and is apparently not the issue anyway. Though I'm sure there are other people who are pissed about losing regional boards too, would that be everyone? Why are the Off topic boards dying? Why is system wars dying?

@Iszdope I have no idea what you mean by that. But then I have never understood anything you have said, ever. Never change bro.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#31 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

I'm not. I miss the activity that this site used to get. I did have the feeling this would happen with the new site though.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

It really is sad to see. So many users have come and gone that I really enjoyed talking to. I don't even know why I come here anymore really.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

No I'm not glad. Talking to all sorts of people here was a fun way to kill time.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@returnedbro said:

@Twisted14 said:

The diminished activity on this board has nothing to do with the new design of the forums.

Care to elaborate? Because everyone here (myself included), other than you, seems to think the real issue is the redesign.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@returnedbro said:

@Twisted14 said:

Care to elaborate? Because everyone here (myself included), other than you, seems to think the real issue is the redesign.

Wasn't this board already dying even before the redesign?

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

Nope, I've been coming here on and off since 2008 and it just sucks what they did to OT. I still will always prefer the old site no matter what

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Twisted14 said:

@mjc said:

@Twisted14 said:

Posted what I said there before I saw your post here. It is an issue for me, I just didn't mention it. The thing is everybody is upset about something, however the OT and General Discussion boards are still here. So are platform specific boards. So I don't really get what it is that people have an issue with. The only thing I could think of is the layout, which I don't have an issue with, and is apparently not the issue anyway. Though I'm sure there are other people who are pissed about losing regional boards too, would that be everyone? Why are the Off topic boards dying? Why is system wars dying?

@Iszdope I have no idea what you mean by that. But then I have never understood anything you have said, ever. Never change bro.

That is because you think your experience translate to everyone or the majority of other users. IT IS THE NEW LAYOUT. It is the fact that you couldn't edit a topic title for weeks, it is the fact that I can't whether someone made a new comment by just looking for a number under the number of posts, it is the fact that I can't directly go to the last new comment. It this the fact that after years and years this piece of garbage of a site cannot get his act together and have bug free, consistently working site. The camels back broke.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Master_Live
@The-Apostle said:

@returnedbro said:

@Twisted14 said:

Exactly.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Before the redesign i could post a topic and get 10+ replies in 5 minutes.

Now i am lucky to get past 30 posts in a day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

Not happy about it, no.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@Master_Live said:
@The-Apostle said:

@returnedbro said:

@Twisted14 said:

Exactly.

That's not entirely true. OT at least was already dying pre new design.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

Not at all, it really sucks how little activity the forum is getting nowadays.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Master_Live

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Master_Live said:
@The-Apostle said:

@returnedbro said:

@Twisted14 said:

Exactly.

Well, it is relative. The new layout accelerated the OT downward spiral instead of stopping it or reversing course.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

I just came back here to say that I've left Gamespot because of the change. :(

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

@Master_Live said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Master_Live said:

Exactly.

Well, it is relative. The new layout accelerated the OT downward spiral instead of stopping it or reversing course.

Or is it more likely that once a site starts to die....more and more people leave since the traffic is gone. Honestly.....I don't like some of their new ideas....hate the notification system. Much preferred the threads to be marked. I don't like the new stacks....liked the old games lists....but the site really was already in it's death throes when they launched the new site. And with little traffic.....more and more people left. Hell....I don't even spend much time here. And it's because it's dead....not redesigned.

If the community was still vibrant people would get over the redesign.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Twisted14

@Master_Live said:

@Twisted14 said:

@mjc said:

@Twisted14 said:

That is because you think your experience translate to everyone or the majority of other users. IT IS THE NEW LAYOUT. It is the fact that you couldn't edit a topic title for weeks, it is the fact that I can't whether someone made a new comment by just looking for a number under the number of posts, it is the fact that I can't directly go to the last new comment. It this the fact that after years and years this piece of garbage of a site cannot get his act together and have bug free, consistently working site. The camels back broke.

So IT IS the damn layout. The other guy keeps insisting it's not but it's obvious that it is. Unless he's just trolling me.

I'm not saying that I think my experience applies to everyone else, I never did say that. Nobody was being specific about what it is they don't like and I merely explained that I don't think the new design is a big problem. Finally you have come along and given some examples. I appreciate it.

I get your issues though. It is annoying not being able to tell what threads I've posted in straight away or see how many new posts there are. That was a great feature on the old GS that isn't on a whole lot of other websites. The fact that it's gone doesn't make sense to me either. Would it force me to not use the forums anymore? No.

I like the forums for the community and the fact that this has always been a nice central place that I can come to and discuss all sorts of crap with people that have always been generally decent. The level of activity has always been good here too. It saddens me a little that it has dropped so sharply.

Yeah some of the design decisions suck. I just don't think the new design is so bad to actually drive large numbers of people away, though apparently I'm one of only a few who feel this way.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

I used to post here a lot under a different name. I liked getting in spirited debates, but the moderation policies were far too puritanical. If you expressed an opinion that the mods didn't agree with, it was "trolling".

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I don't know if "glad" is the right way to put it, I've been coming here for a decade and really like some of the people who were/are here. It's satisfying to see Gamespot's arrogance blow up in their faces though. People were almost unanimously against the change when they saw what it would look like but GS just took a "deal with it" approach.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

@returnedbro said:

@Twisted14 said:

Except for the fact that I've talked to people who used to regularly come here and they flat-out said that the new design is why they don't come here anymore.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I spend more time in the other subforums than here. It doesn't seem like GS is dying to me. If it's just OT, oh well. F-it.