horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 124722 Posts

I know this is rather wide topic to discuss so I would like to narrow it somewhat down. Mainly things that are bought somewhat regularly but, not a weekly basis.

Phones. Do you stick with iPhone and prefer them over android based like Samsung or Sony? Cars. Stick with one brand when you consider switching vehicle? Computer parts. AMD or Intel? AMD or Nvidia? Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo? Suggestions that I had on top of my head.

Phones... I like to switch. Atm using Samsung Galaxy S8. Before that it was iPhone, before that it was Android. First smartphone was an Android one, however I do have first gen iPod Touch so I knew how they operated. Regarding older phones I was somewhat brand loyal as I had mostly Nokia phones, except for one Sony Ericsson. My next phone will most likely be iPhone unless they are to expensive.

I don't really have had enough experience or owned cars to say anything. Other than avoiding Citroen I don't have much of a preference.

GPU wise I am definitely leaning towards Nvidia. Though if you wanted the best I don't think AMD has been an option since their 7970 or R9 290 cards. Latest release from them is looking good though.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 1247 Posts

Brand loyalty = kissing corporate ass. So no.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator

@rmpumper said:

Brand loyalty = kissing corporate ass. So no.

Or data hostage... :P

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 8037 Posts

Rarely, and those are always earned. For one thing, I'm never buying any mouse and keyboard that are not Logitech ever again; my G604 is my favourite mouse ever, and while I went through multiple Saitek and Razer keyboards, I've had my current G105 for so long I lost count, and it's still going.

As for others, I mainly just stick to what seems reliable. I have no loyalty to Intel, and would have switched to Ryzen if I had delayed my upgrade a bit, but it would have still been on an ASUS motherboard. ASUS also supplied my laptop, which like the G105 is still resolutely refusing to break. Despite two consecutive GeForce cards, the majority of the graphics cards I've ever owned are still ATI/AMD. Four of the five smartphones I've ever owned are Samsung, including my current Galaxy Note 9, but I will always have fond memories of my time with my Motorola X Play and its no-frills Android. I avoid that pretentious Apple shit like the plague.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 10476 Posts

I want to purchase the Sony experia x1 or whatever its successor gonna be, the phones looks stunning but I am deeply in Samsung ecosystem. I use Samsung Pay wherever I can, Use Dex for light productivity (its surprisingly pretty good!) and saved all my password and backups to Pass app.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10364 Posts

Not really. I usually research all available options before making a (serious) purchase. A certain brand might be at the top of the game for a period of time (years or even decades) but soon be overtaken by another. So I'll go for the brand which seems like the best at the time.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40309 Posts

@horgen: Nope. I'll play on any system (PC included) that has a game I want to play.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1346 Posts

I'm only loyal to not buying iPhones or anything starting with lower case i. There's something about the way Apple fans worship their favorite brand that puts me off. That and of course the price premium.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 12920 Posts

When it comes to phones I stick with iPhone. I had a 4S, 5C and 8 Plus. I didn't care for the 5C and was going to go with an android phone but I noticed a lot of my friends switched from iPhones to androids before me and they were always complaining about something. I wasn't in the mood to learn a new device so I upgraded to 8 Plus. I'll be sticking with iPhone for awhile.

I used to not care about AMD vs Nvidia, but I think I'll be sticking with Nvidia from now on. I used to have AMD cards due to price mostly but my 2080 has been awesome. I don't see myself upgrading any time soon and if I do I'll go with Nvidia again. I also typically get Asus parts.

For TVs I go with Samsung. I owned other brands before and something always went wrong. Never had any issues with Samsung TVs. We bought 3 and still have/use them.

With consoles I've always had a PlayStation. It's not out of loyalty but rather it has games I want to play that I can't play on PC. If they were available on PC I wouldn't have any consoles except for my SNES and N64. If PC were a brand then I'd be loyal to that.

I stick with Tide detergent. I like the smell and every chick I've been with commented on how good I smell, which I partly attribute to Tide. Oh and Old Spice (body wash and deodorant).

Yeah, I'm pretty brand loyal. Coke>Pepsi

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6101 Posts

Not really. I avoid certain brands though.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@SOedipus said:

Yeah, I'm pretty brand loyal. Coke>Pepsi

Thank god you're loyal to the one which matter!

@SOedipus said:

When it comes to phones I stick with iPhone. I had a 4S, 5C and 8 Plus. I didn't care for the 5C and was going to go with an android phone but I noticed a lot of my friends switched from iPhones to androids before me and they were always complaining about something. I wasn't in the mood to learn a new device so I upgraded to 8 Plus. I'll be sticking with iPhone for awhile.

I used to not care about AMD vs Nvidia, but I think I'll be sticking with Nvidia from now on. I used to have AMD cards due to price mostly but my 2080 has been awesome. I don't see myself upgrading any time soon and if I do I'll go with Nvidia again. I also typically get Asus parts.

For TVs I go with Samsung. I owned other brands before and something always went wrong. Never had any issues with Samsung TVs. We bought 3 and still have/use them.

With consoles I've always had a PlayStation. It's not out of loyalty but rather it has games I want to play that I can't play on PC. If they were available on PC I wouldn't have any consoles except for my SNES and N64. If PC were a brand then I'd be loyal to that.

I stick with Tide detergent. I like the smell and every chick I've been with commented on how good I smell, which I partly attribute to Tide. Oh and Old Spice (body wash and deodorant).

I get the iPhone choice. The software has developed nicely since first released, along with the hardware. Remember that in the beginning you could only have a black background and couldn't move the apps around? Or that App Store didn't exist before iPhone 3GS or 4 was released :P

The 2080 is a beast of a card.

I haven't fallen for the Samsung TVs yet. I got LG myself. TV aren't something I buy regularly so I don't care what I got and what I am buying.

@madrocketeer said:

Rarely, and those are always earned. For one thing, I'm never buying any mouse and keyboard that are not Logitech ever again; my G604 is my favourite mouse ever, and while I went through multiple Saitek and Razer keyboards, I've had my current G105 for so long I lost count, and it's still going.

As for others, I mainly just stick to what seems reliable. I have no loyalty to Intel, and would have switched to Ryzen if I had delayed my upgrade a bit, but it would have still been on an ASUS motherboard. ASUS also supplied my laptop, which like the G105 is still resolutely refusing to break. Despite two consecutive GeForce cards, the majority of the graphics cards I've ever owned are still ATI/AMD. Four of the five smartphones I've ever owned are Samsung, including my current Galaxy Note 9, but I will always have fond memories of my time with my Motorola X Play and its no-frills Android. I avoid that pretentious Apple shit like the plague.

I was somewhat Asus loyal. I ended up with an Asus mobo on my first PC. Didn't really consider anything else than Asus when I upgraded. Then I switched to AMD and suddenly Gigabyte had something very interesting.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 4

#12 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2783 Posts

To some degree. If I want to, I’ll switch it up if I need to depending on the various circumstances. But overall, I mostly will lean towards LG, HP and some Apple products when it comes to electronics.

Just to throw it in there too, I only use Gillette razors for shaving. Never had any success with other brands.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 4

#13 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2783 Posts

@SOedipus: Can’t quote on my tablet but I like the simplicity of Apple products.

I think the biggest drawback though is that they seem to work great until there’s a problem. In my experience anyway. Had major issues with syncing things to my IPad via ITunes a few years back. Kept crashing on me until they released the iOS 12 update or something.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20449 Posts

No.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 277 Posts

Loyalty is a two-way street. I will be loyal if the brand is loyal to me. Provide me if an excellent product, and I'll continue to use it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 43707 Posts

Yea stick with Nvidia, had an AMD one wild back.

But I donno, just so use to it. Comfy.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sancho_Panzer  Online
Member since 2015 • 1549 Posts

Sure. I buy locally produced goods wherever I can. That way the money's more likely to find its way back to me.

Not for big stuff though - then it's just whatever's the best value for me overall.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6683 Posts

All I know is I hate the name LG life's good please.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49076 Posts

Yes and no.

As someone said before, I'll stick with a brand if it is earned.

But mostly I do my research. Sometime I go generic because it's literally the same as name brand. Sometimes I go cheap off-brand because I'm buying something I know I will probably break sooner than later.

I could have bought a fancy Le Creuset cast iron skillet for $180 and that's a really good brand, but then you got Lodge skillets that are essentially the same thing but just look ugly, and it costs $50.

YesSir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YesSir
Member since 2021 • 103 Posts

I have brands I like more than others. But I only became loyal because I liked the quality, once that goes away I’ll switch. So, no. But bring a data hostage maybe a problem.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I'm not brand loyal, I'll usually use the PC building method, do research and go best option for the budget.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator

Just remembered one thing were going off brand can be costly.

Battery powered tools. Atm I got blue Bosch 12V and 18V. If the quality of tools in those lineup starts to decline and I would like to get Dewault tools instead, I'm also looking at the extra cost of a couple of batteries and a capable charger at least. That's quickly 3-400$ extra.

Sure if the quality of tools from Bosch decline, I can use what I got until they start failing. It is when I either replace or want new tools that it gets costly.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7461 Posts

In a way, take steam.example.

I'll buy a game on steam.even if it costs more than other stores like origin or epic, or even if I have to wait longer for the steam release.

This is because I have over 200 games In steam and I'd rather them not be getting spread out amongst other clients

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45235 Posts

I'm brand loyalty to Nvidia as they make the best GPU's around and have stable drivers IMO. But I ain't crazy to pay Nvidia tax increase when it comes to the there higher-up GPU. The 70's (1070, 2070, 3070) models are a resendable price. Nothing against AMD GPU, but they aren't known to keep up with new techno stuff.

For phones, I'm loyal to Android LG brand as I'm way more familiar with the phone and not a fan of iPhone brand and not a fan of Apple.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 8604 Posts

I'm brand loyal to Coke over Pepsi

and tons of other things

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 11060 Posts

I guess not, I've owned different CPUs, GPUs, motherboards, TVs, consoles, I buy different food brands, car brands, mobile device brands, use different OSes, etc.

I do my research first and find the product that suits my needs, compare all specs and options and price between brands, consider durability, support, read reviews, and I buy what suits me after all that. If there is custom after market support and more freedom and flexibility that is a bonus. If there is lock-in that is a minus.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20045 Posts

No, because brand "loyalty" is silly. Brands/companies are large corporate entities that do not know or care about you, but they go out of their way to make it seem like they do through clever PR/marketing. You should evaluate every purchase based on the merits of the product and the company providing it.

That said, there certainly are benefits to remaining within an ecosystem. All my Samsung phones/tablets/watches all play very well together. I have multiple Corsair devices in my system that I can manage with iCue.

@thehig1 said:

I'll buy a game on steam.even if it costs more than other stores like origin or epic, or even if I have to wait longer for the steam release.

This is because I have over 200 games In steam and I'd rather them not be getting spread out amongst other clients

You're supposed to add a trigger warning to your post if you're going to mention EGS.</joke>

I have over 1,500 games on Steam and it's definitely my preferred store, but I won't let something coming out on another store keep me from playing a game I want to play. It is inconvenient, and between Steam, Origin, Bethesda Launcher, Humble Bundle, Game Pass Ultimate, whatever the Playstation one is called, I have on occasion paid for a game I already had free access to. Someone needs to come up with a abstraction layer that can show you your entire library across all platforms.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1311 Posts

Levi jeans. That is all. Can't wear any other brand and won't bother to try anymore.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 horgen  Moderator

@Byshop said:

No, because brand "loyalty" is silly. Brands/companies are large corporate entities that do not know or care about you, but they go out of their way to make it seem like they do through clever PR/marketing. You should evaluate every purchase based on the merits of the product and the company providing it.

That said, there certainly are benefits to remaining within an ecosystem. All my Samsung phones/tablets/watches all play very well together. I have multiple Corsair devices in my system that I can manage with iCue.

@thehig1 said:

You're supposed to add a trigger warning to your post if you're going to mention EGS.</joke>

I have over 1,500 games on Steam and it's definitely my preferred store, but I won't let something coming out on another store keep me from playing a game I want to play. It is inconvenient, and between Steam, Origin, Bethesda Launcher, Humble Bundle, Game Pass Ultimate, whatever the Playstation one is called, I have on occasion paid for a game I already had free access to. Someone needs to come up with a abstraction layer that can show you your entire library across all platforms.

Gog Galaxy allows for some integration between different ones. They can connect to Steam, Epic Games, Xbox Live, Origin, PS Network, Uplay.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7175 Posts

Yes. Noctua fans only.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115376 Posts

Never have been. I just go with what I think looks cool/good/appeals to me.
So if that means buying the same thing *again* then it happens. The next time it could be from something else different.
I mean there are brands I don't like. But I think we all have that issue.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 36903 Posts

no, but a bad experience will put me off a brand for a loooong time.

iwantpie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iwantpie
Member since 2021 • 1 Posts

Nintendo is pogchamp

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4405 Posts

I do have a few brand preferences, like Nintendo and Ghirardelli, but I will play other games and eat other chocolate all the time.

I think Honda is the best car maker around, but I only ever owned one Civic and that was 13 years ago. I always look at Hondas when I need to get a new car, but have gone with something else for one reason or another.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Byshop  Moderator

@horgen said:

Gog Galaxy allows for some integration between different ones. They can connect to Steam, Epic Games, Xbox Live, Origin, PS Network, Uplay.

That's cool. I should check that out, but to be fair it's the passes that screw me up. More than once I bought a Steam version of a game that I could already play for free on a console.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 horgen  Moderator

@Byshop said:
@horgen said:

That's cool. I should check that out, but to be fair it's the passes that screw me up. More than once I bought a Steam version of a game that I could already play for free on a console.

Consoles has free games? Oh wait for PS+ subscribers and Live Gold members?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Byshop  Moderator

@horgen said:
@Byshop said:
@horgen said:

Yeah. "Free" is relative but these days if you're gonna have Xbox Live (for example) it doesn't make sense to not get Ultimate.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10610 Posts

Yes. I think some people like to say no because it somehow means they aren't being duped or are uninformed when it really just means the repeat transactions they've made were satisfactory. Customer loyalty/customer retention is a huge part of successful businesses and, it's essential to brand loyalty.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 horgen  Moderator

@Byshop said:
@horgen said:
@Byshop said:
@horgen said:

Yeah. "Free" is relative but these days if you're gonna have Xbox Live (for example) it doesn't make sense to not get Ultimate.

There is more than Silver and Gold these days? Granted I haven't had xbox since the X360 days.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Byshop  Moderator

@horgen said:
@Byshop said:
@horgen said:

There is more than Silver and Gold these days? Granted I haven't had xbox since the X360 days.

I don't know all the different offerings at this point but Xbox Live Ultimate is 15 a month and it gets you Xbox Live Gold plus Game Pass games for both Xbox and PC. They also merged in EA pass into that recently as well, so you can play EA pass games on Xbox (with PC access to EA Pass games coming sometime this year).