Are you assertive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Or do you roll over easy? Are you afraid people won't like you if you remain steadfast in your decisions, or do you just not care?

I am not closed to relaxing my stance on certain issues in extraordinary situations (e.g. I don't usually loan people money, but if someone is hard up for rent or food or something due to events outside their control I might, depends on who). Under normal circumstances, though, I'm pretty damn stubborn.

If that makes someone dislike me, then so be it. Still not my problem. But I know a few people who seem so scared that people will have a bad opinion of them that they allow themselves to be used like a tool. They may think they are just being nice and compassionate, but grow a damned backbone. Not everyone has to like you all of the time.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I don't roll over. I don't give a shit what people think of me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The term "assertive" has more of a being proactive meaning to me.

I'll take lead if no one else does. If someone insists on taking lead, I let that person have it. I figure, let him have his shot. But, if that person's attempt falls flat, I'm standing by ready to take over and dig ourselves out of the hole. In the real world, I've been in that situation too many times to count.

I'm also flexible enough to know there is more than one way to accomplish the same goal.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Nope.

KayReggio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By KayReggio
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

I recently don't give much damn about what others think of me. As rolling out of college and set my foot to work, I began to realize that others' opinions don't really matter.

I like your closing "Not everyone has to like you all the time", it holds true most of the time, especially when it comes to building long-term relationship that requires ultimate honesty and trust. They don't like me now, it's ok, soon they'll realize who and what I am and accept our well-profound relationship. I'm 22 btw.

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I'll take lead if no one else does.

Same here, but I contribute my idea for the team usually.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I'm pretty rough around the edges.

Some call me an asshole.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm slowly starting to care less about others' opinion of me. My social anxiety is getting in the way sometimes though.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I agree with @johnd13. As I'm getting older I care less and less about what other people think. Not so much with family and close friends, but with 'acquaintances'. It's as the old saying goes, "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@goodzorr: Yeah there's always that random acquaintance that might seem to not like me. My initial wondering of "wait does this guy not like me? why?" is usually followed by a "nah who cares, we're not friends anyway".

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#10 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

I'm sure you guys are all just a bunch of badasses.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Not at all.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts
@Sam3231 said:

Stop asserting your dominance! :P

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

No not that much at the moment. On the contarary, I am growing in assertiveness in real life situations but when someone calls me a noob online I feel injured XD.(gamer style) and just get fed up(why i stray a lot from vs online games and play co op)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Sam3231 said:

What a sweetheart. Thank you for noticing :D

Seriously though...mostly I speak my mind and deal with the consequences. It's not so much that I'm trying to be assertive but I'm always too exhausted to give a damn about what most people think about me. There's a very small group of people I love and do my best to please...as for the rest they can either like or dislike me, and I either like or ignore them in return (disliking people takes a lot of energy as well)

Same for going after what I want; if I need to speak up I speak up because I don't have the energy to just wait around for things to happen. So basically, I'm not assertive, I'm just tired as f***.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Guess so, but i'm very forceful on issues that do not suit me. I swear too much, LOL.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@korvus said:
@Sam3231 said:

Seriously though...mostly I speak my mind and deal with the consequences. It's not so much that I'm trying to be assertive but I'm always too exhausted to give a damn about what most people think about me. There's a very small group of people I love and do my best to please...as for the rest they can either like or dislike me, and I either like or ignore them in return (disliking people takes a lot of energy as well)

Same for going after what I want; if I need to speak up I speak up because I don't have the energy to just wait around for things to happen. So basically, I'm not assertive, I'm just tired as f***.

You love people? Screw that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@korvus said:
@Sam3231 said:

You love people? Screw that.

I do...and I do :p

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

Yes and I have noticed I am more blunt too.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Ummmm, yes! I mean, no? Maybe!

-Byshop

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I'm slowly starting to care less about others' opinion of me. My social anxiety is getting in the way sometimes though.

Same. I am way way way too self-conscious to reach that level of "not caring" (I don't really think of it as not caring, not really) and too full of self-doubt.

This is of course compounded by the fact that the world is full of about 80% of people that don't support you most of the time (not to say they are negative, but it'd be nice if they were more proactive or were like "hey good job" or were team players), and at least 10% haters, and NO ONE remembers the good you've done (especially yourself), only the bad.

And that is what drives me crazy; I'd love to not care about any of the above, to live a life where only my own opinion really mattered. I just lack the amount of self-love (I hate that term, but it's accurate) to do so.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

short answer: it depends

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Yes. Especially at work.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#23 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I really wish I could be assertive. I'm only assertive when I really need to be, though. For the most part, I hate confrontations because I just don't want to deal with negative energy.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not really.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

If people ask me to do or give something I don't want to I typically quickly come up with a bullshit excuse.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#26 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Depends on the situation but on the whole I wish I was a bit more assertive

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Caring about other's opinions is not the problem. If you lack assertiveness because you don't want people to stop liking you, please know that if you show what you like and don't like, people will appreciate you more. Obviously don't be a dick about it like some people who call themselves assertive. But sharing what you like and don't like in a friendly way helps people form a more meaningful relationship with you. Most people want to keep your values in mind. And if you don't let them, their desire to have a good relationship with you can never be fulfilled.

As a result of this mindset I am very flexible but I'm learning to be very clear about the lines I draw.

And the way to change your behavior is just a good mindset and practice. It may not go well all the time but the exercise is worth it. In the end you are often the best solution to your problems.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Assertive no but a push over I am not. Now I have been assertive in certain moments but for the most part I handle things as they come to me.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Depends on the job.

I have had jobs where I was super outgoing, assertive and had tons of ideas of how to improve everything.

Other jobs, I had no idea what I was doing so it's harder to just jump in.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

I don't think I am, but other people say I am. I think I just like to pick my battles and build political goodwill so that when I argue with the VP it carries some weight.