reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 reaperinthyname
Member since 2018 • 273 Posts

I really want to be more efficient at work, but I just don't know how to achieve it. Tireness is definitely the biggest reason why I can't do better. It's like my brain is mush for most of the time in the office.

It's also due to the fact that I don't really have much energy right now for whatever reason.

It's not that I don't like my job (I'm a software developer). But something, whether it's in my head or because of physical reasons, is holding me back to be better.

So, to get back to the question, are you always giving 100% at work?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

To your situation, I would suggest trying to do something physical/taking a break from the screen at some point in the day, if possible. I know employers don't always give you the flexibility to be able to do that, but it can really help with fatigue. I work a very physically demanding job and spend most of my free time sitting because of school, and I tend to get more tired doing the latter than the former. Putting the books down and taking a walk does wonders for me.

But yeah, I'm usually exhausted when I go in to work. Even on my best day if I gave 100% I would burn out pretty quick. I find it's much better to pace myself than to go all-out early on and be just completely dragging by the end.

Avatar image for reaperinthyname
reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 reaperinthyname

@theone86

Thanks for the tip.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127490 Posts

If everything is going smoothly and nobody is sick... Maybe 75% these days.

Before you attack me and calling me lazy. For once we are as many as we actually need to get our job done in my department. Since January last year we have been short on staff, put in enough overtime to increase my wage some 10-15%.. Or more. That was finally solved March this year. So it feels like 75% these days. No one getting tears in their eyes anymore if someone is sick and we have to cover for that person.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The last time I pushed myself, I had a panic attack. Now, I still work hard when I need to, but I pace myself.

reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 reaperinthyname

@horgen

What do you do for a living?

reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 reaperinthyname

@JustPlainLucas said:

The last time I pushed myself, I had a panic attack. Now, I still work hard when I need to, but I pace myself.

Good lord! Take care of your health man :D

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#8 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6072 Posts

I'm diabetic so chances are I run out of juice pretty Easley and it happens quite often. I finished work around 11:00pm at night and when I get home I usually crash not long once I'm in from work. I don't have the same health I used to have. Multiple health problems.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JustPlainLucas

@reaperinthyname said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Yeah, and the stupid thing about it was that is mainly because I didn't have anything to eat before it happened. Now I always get a little something on my stomach before I go to work.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator

@reaperinthyname said:

@horgen

What do you do for a living?

I work in a production lab. Last few steps in producing raw materials for diagnostics. Dunno what exactly it is used for, as we ship to loads of other companies that do their own stuff before it reaches hospitals and doctors.

Can also be used in medicine. Like Novartis new medicine for acute leukemi.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas said:
@reaperinthyname said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Yeah, and the stupid thing about it was that is mainly because I didn't have anything to eat before it happened. Now I always get a little something on my stomach before I go to work.

You go to work without eating breakfast?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Considering that most of us are replying during working hours on a Tuesday (at least in the US), I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not. :P

-Byshop

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7201 Posts

No. I do my job pretty well, but I have kids now. They get my 100%. Work plays second fiddle to them now.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

I'm at work right now. Pretty sure they don't consider Gamespot a productive use of my time. It is our slow time right now so my manager doesn't care but if anyone higher up should stop in I'd have to act like I was doing something. After 14 years here I'm pretty burnt on the whole industry (Heating and AC wholesale) and ready for a change. Too bad the wife just changed jobs and wrecked her car last month. Looks like I'm gonna be here a liitle while longer.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Not really not often there is a need too, on occasion have to haul ass to make sure I dont delay an Aircraft but its not often.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

During the Victorian era, it was decided that working was a virtuous act and that mindset has remained across the western world into the modern day.

It was predicted by (Keynes, maybe?) that due to industrial automation the average man would only have to work a 2 day week.

Sadly, automation simply put people out of work as people are payed by the hour, not by the work done and so everyone was instead put out of work and the rich became wealthy beyond their dreams of avarice.

In short, you are only working because people don't want to admit you don't really need to be. You're asked to work long hours and even more than you are contacted to in some cases just to give the illusion that you are spending your time in a virtuous manner and theres definitely a really good reason for it all.

There isn't really. So you feel bad because deep down you know you are wasting your time doing nothing of value for you or the world because rich people hate to see poor people get a free ride when they don't have wealth.

So wealth is equated with virtue and you will never be happy because if you will never be wealthy enough and even if you were you would be a fucking asshole because all wealthy people are fucking assholes. Normal people couldn't care less about having loads of money for no reason other than to have loads of money.

Just work contracts and not wage jobs and never work over the time your contracted to work. If they ask you to do more work say when you can do it. How long it will take and how much it will cost then see if they still want the extra work.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#17 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

nope, its pretty rare I put my 100% into anything.

I probably gave 100% in my first 2 weeks on the job, but now I'm cruising at probably 50-70% most days, which is sustainable. I still get lots of shit done, I could push myself to do more which would result in short-term gains but me burning out within a couple weeks then being super ineffective.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JustPlainLucas

@horgen said:

Yeah, not much of a breakfast person. Years ago, I used to get real sick when I'd go to work with food on my stomach, so I just stopped eating breakfast. I'd snack on something when I got in to work, like a granola bar or nuts.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

I generally give 90-100% depending on the work loads. Running at 100% all the time is a recipe to burn out, and when people say "always give 110%" I want to laugh; maybe I'm taking it too literal but you can't always give it 110%.

I used to work at 110% effort but that stopped when I stopped working jobs and got an actual career I care about.

There's always going to be young bucks that try to prove themselves but they come and go; the solid guy who gives 90+% all the time that's been there for a while, those are uncommon.

@JustPlainLucas said:
@horgen said:

Yeah, not much of a breakfast person. Years ago, I used to get real sick when I'd go to work with food on my stomach, so I just stopped eating breakfast. I'd snack on something when I got in to work, like a granola bar or nuts.

That's rough, I can't start my day without breakfast and a shower.

As Ron Swanson says "Why would anyone eat anything other than breakfast foods?"

Though I'm trying to limit the times I eat at from 10AM to 6PM, which seems to be helping.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator
@mrbojangles25 said:

I generally give 90-100% depending on the work loads. Running at 100% all the time is a recipe to burn out, and when people say "always give 110%" I want to laugh; maybe I'm taking it too literal but you can't always give it 110%.

I used to work at 110% effort but that stopped when I stopped working jobs and got an actual career I care about.

There's always going to be young bucks that try to prove themselves but they come and go; the solid guy who gives 90+% all the time that's been there for a while, those are uncommon.

That's rough, I can't start my day without breakfast and a shower.

As Ron Swanson says "Why would anyone eat anything other than breakfast foods?"

Though I'm trying to limit the times I eat at from 10AM to 6PM, which seems to be helping.

That was Leslie, although Ron agreed and said that it's because people are idiots.

-Byshop

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I give about 110% and that's because I always give 100% at work. But I also work 10% during my spare time, mostly planning and documenting the work I do during work hours. I would much rather do something else but I'm afraid of being replaced by someone else or being out of work by some reason.

reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 reaperinthyname

@judaspete said:

No. I do my job pretty well, but I have kids now. They get my 100%. Work plays second fiddle to them now.

You're doing the right thing.

reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By reaperinthyname

@Byshop said:

Considering that most of us are replying during working hours on a Tuesday (at least in the US), I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not. :P

-Byshop

Good point.

reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 reaperinthyname

@jackamomo said:

During the Victorian era, it was decided that working was a virtuous act and that mindset has remained across the western world into the modern day.

It was predicted by (Keynes, maybe?) that due to industrial automation the average man would only have to work a 2 day week.

Sadly, automation simply put people out of work as people are payed by the hour, not by the work done and so everyone was instead put out of work and the rich became wealthy beyond their dreams of avarice.

In short, you are only working because people don't want to admit you don't really need to be. You're asked to work long hours and even more than you are contacted to in some cases just to give the illusion that you are spending your time in a virtuous manner and theres definitely a really good reason for it all.

There isn't really. So you feel bad because deep down you know you are wasting your time doing nothing of value for you or the world because rich people hate to see poor people get a free ride when they don't have wealth.

So wealth is equated with virtue and you will never be happy because if you will never be wealthy enough and even if you were you would be a fucking asshole because all wealthy people are fucking assholes. Normal people couldn't care less about having loads of money for no reason other than to have loads of money.

Just work contracts and not wage jobs and never work over the time your contracted to work. If they ask you to do more work say when you can do it. How long it will take and how much it will cost then see if they still want the extra work.

Hmm, interesting.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Byshop  Moderator
@reaperinthyname said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Good point.

But seriously, I work pretty hard at my job, but like most people it goes in spurts. My job can be very demanding, and when it needs me to be "on" I need to be very, very "on". One day I might be leisurely working on designing and building out a virtual environment from my home office with the TV on in the background, another day I might be hammering out a deliverable consisting of weeks of workshops and data collection's worth of data listening to fast techno music until 2AM, and another day I might be flying halfway around the world to explain to the senior management of a worldwide company why what they are doing is wrong and why they need to start going it the way that I designed for them, and another day I might be teleconferencing with the CTO of a Fortune 500 level company. The point is it can't all be at full throttle of you burn out. There needs to be a balance. Certain types of work (like the pure technical/problem solving stuff) is less stressful/more fun for me than some of my other responsibilities so even just being able to do more of that can be my stress relief.

-Byshop

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Nope, don't know why but also because of this:

@reaperinthyname said:

It's not that I don't like my job (I'm a software developer). But something, whether it's in my head or because of physical reasons, is holding me back to be better.

(Except the software developer part)

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

Yes. I'm pretty burnt out after work and don't feel like doing much afterwards but can't help it, it's just the way I am. My parents are like that, most of my family are for that matter. I'm a pacesetter and generally people don't like working with me, unless they're hard workers as well. I do get benefits out of it though. I'm on very good turns with my boss. If I have issues or concerns, he'll listen to them and take it seriously. He doesn't do that with everyone. If I need time off, I get it, no questions.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas said:
@horgen said:

Damn. I am useless before breakfast.

@mrbojangles25 said:

One of my coworkers... Nothing about him makes you think he works fast. Perhaps the most relaxed person in my department. Usually the first one to get things done though.

Though I must say, when we talk about how fast someone does their job, we aren't to specific about it. We got lots of minimum times on certain tasks. It's rather how much extra they can make out of the free minutes they have here and there.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Byshop  Moderator
@horgen said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@horgen said:

Damn. I am useless before breakfast.

@mrbojangles25 said:

One of my coworkers... Nothing about him makes you think he works fast. Perhaps the most relaxed person in my department. Usually the first one to get things done though.

Though I must say, when we talk about how fast someone does their job, we aren't to specific about it. We got lots of minimum times on certain tasks. It's rather how much extra they can make out of the free minutes they have here and there.

You gotta give 110%!

Loading Video...

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I work as a software developer too and I give out 40% effort about everyday. If it's the time for a release or we are at the end of the sprint then I give about 70%. I got to figure out that this industry is BS so I don't put that much effort in to my work anymore.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jackamomo

@SOedipus: Excellent. I haven't seen a bootlick with this much pep since my last employee Welyand Smithers....

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SOedipus

@jackamomo: I also don’t get fired when I, literally, tell my boss to #%^* off when he’s pmsing :) Honestly, at that point I wouldn’t care if he did. Win-win.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jackamomo

@SOedipus: everyone hates you at work.

PS. Are you aware of the existence of a certain greek myth and a psychoanalyst that share a relationship with your handle?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SOedipus

@jackamomo: Most people do and I’m okay with that :) Deadbeats don’t care much for me. I wish that I could sleep that peacefully, and at work! That’s badass. How much do you put in jack?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

No. I take lunch and breaks too. No overtime either. But, if we're talking about ticking off tasks on a shift checklist, then, yes.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jackamomo

@SOedipus: I put in what is required of me and no more. When I start my own company I may put more effort in. No-one ever got promoted by working hard. It's all politics with that stuff.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#38 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I work retail, which is not a job deserving of anyone's 100% but constantly demands it. The department I'm in now is nowhere near as intense as other ones, so no, I'm never giving 100%.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I work hard some days and not others. Sometimes I work at night. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I work on the weekend, sometimes I don't. I don't stress if I feel like I can't produce on a given day unless we're facing a certain deadline or something. Honestly I think it all balances out as long as you take your job seriously.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#40 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I try enough to not ruin other peoples' day. I only work part-time and don't get paid shit and am easily replaceable, but if I did what I do sloppily it would be bad for a few other people.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

More than 100

For the cause

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Make sure you get your sleep, make sure you get exercise, make sure you eat right. If you're like that stereotypical image of someone at his computer eating chips and drinking soda by the liter then I'd start there.

If that still doesn't work, see about getting your doctor to provide you some Ritalin and possibly some Provigil, that should help with energy, focus, productivity, and goal oriented thinking. Depression can also chip away at your motivation, might want to address that.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#43 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Depends how I feel. Frustrating part is doing 100% & then getting told off by coworkers saying "Why are you kissing ass." Or I'm busting my balls & the next guy over is wandering around not doing shit & never gets in shit for it.

reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 reaperinthyname
@lamprey263 said:

Make sure you get your sleep, make sure you get exercise, make sure you eat right. If you're like that stereotypical image of someone at his computer eating chips and drinking soda by the liter then I'd start there.

If that still doesn't work, see about getting your doctor to provide you some Ritalin and possibly some Provigil, that should help with energy, focus, productivity, and goal oriented thinking. Depression can also chip away at your motivation, might want to address that.

Thanks for the tips.

Avatar image for adingoatemybaby
ADingoAteMyBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ADingoAteMyBaby
Member since 2016 • 63 Posts

I don't 100% anything. I enjoy being a lazy bastard.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I give a solid 60%, 100% of the time at work. You don't want to deplete your batteries after all.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Work smart, not hard ;)

I do all that is required of me, some days that's about 80%, most days about 30%. I get new work periodically but we're a small (but necessary) team. Get lots of browsing time but also means that if someone (all internal) has a request of our team, it's usually rectified/sorted/answered etc within a couple hours. It's usually several days/weeks if it's the other way around.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#50 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I don't define myself by my occupation, so I wouldn't say I always give 100%. I do when it is necessary. I always try and figure out ways to get more work done is shorter amounts of time.