Are you a fan of the Tim Burton Batman films?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1517 posts) -

I will say that regardless of what I state in this post, the Christopher Nolan films are the best to date for many reasons, period. But...

Personally, I really loved Batman Returns.

Even though it copped a lot of hate when it was released for being too dark compared to the first film, in my mind, this is the movie I think of when I think of Batman & his universe in general.

It has charm. Gothic and creepy with a great atmosphere & score. Michelle Pfeiffer is still the best live action Catwoman imo. Danny Devito was great as the Penguin too.

I think overall the Tim Burton movies would be praised more highly if there was more of a backstory to his version of Bruce Wayne. I truly think at the end of the day that was the only thing lacking.

#2 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4777 posts) -

Yes I am a fan. I actually prefer them over the Nolan films.

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (36073 posts) -

I'd say, Batman '89 is a better Batman movie, and probably a better movie, period. But for some reason, I just enjoy watching Batman Returns more. Pfeiffer's Catwoman is just damn sexy and a lot of fun. Danny Devito is always entertaining and Christopher Walken! You can't go wrong with Christopher Walken. Burton's films are the best, and Keaton is leagues ahead of everyone else who has played Batman in the live action films that has came before...but Ben Afflack is right up their.

Nicholson and Ledger play completely different types. There's something about Nicholson's Joker where he just enjoys what he does, even more than Ledger's Joker, there's the impression that he's causing this madness purely for his own amusement.

Overall, I guess I'd say Tim Burton Batman '89 is more "solid," while Batman Returns has more energy+sexy Catwoman mixed with little crazy.

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

Live action movies, not too keen on Batman 89.

I adore Batman Returns, it's a brilliant anti-Christmas movie. But a bad Batman movie. It just happens to have Batman in it. Aside from that dumbass scene where he takes his mask off, presentation with the soundtrack is just stunning.

Loading Video...

I like how they change the Penguin actually

Bruce is loves his parents and inspired by there deaths. Oswald is loathed by his parents and inspired to hate humanity because they rejected and tried to cause his death. The opening of the movie where he's drifting down the sewer like the anti-moses is incredible. And his attempts to mimic Batman as a "hero", eventually dropping the facade' when he's once again rejected is brilliant. Batman, Selina and Oswald are all damaged people reacting in different ways.

Unfortunately all this great stuff gets lost in nonsense and Batman himself is almost begrudgingly put in these movies.

#5 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15707 posts) -

While I feel that the Burton Batman movies may be a little hokey by today's standards, they are by no means bad movies. The performances in both movies by all the principal actors are still fun to watch even today--they're one of the few movies that'll I'll stop an watch whenever they come on TV.

#6 Posted by Vaidream45 (1850 posts) -

I loved the Burton Batman movies. They felt more like comic books than any other Batman movies I’ve seen.

#7 Posted by Master_Live (19386 posts) -

I like them, they were a big a part of my childhood. I prefer Returns to 89'. Returns is so dark that sometimes I chuckle, it is unbelievable.

#8 Posted by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

I like them, they were a big a part of my childhood. I prefer Returns to 89'. Returns is so dark that sometimes I chuckle, it is unbelievable.

It was rated 15 but basically marketed as a children movie with all the toys and Mcdonald tie-ins.

Loading Video...

Deffo would never get away with that shit now.

#9 Posted by npiet1 (2097 posts) -

I don't like them, maybe I'm just to young and it's not the Batman I like grew up with. (I'm not talking about just Nolan film but the whole dcua), but they are awful IMO.

#10 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5072 posts) -

@speeny:

I enjoyed them for the time but tbh, it feels like they were kinda overrated.

#11 Posted by johnd13 (9693 posts) -

I appreciate them as movies of an older era. All in all, mediocre but with a different vibe and look to them than Nolan's Batman, both colorful and dark at the same.

#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166358 posts) -

First movie was decent. Didn't really like the second much but compared to the two that followed it's okay. Never liked the take on the Penguin.

#13 Posted by Miriammarimiam (7 posts) -

I really like them a lot. They are the best films of my childhood.

#14 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15561 posts) -

I liked them in their time. Dark Knight Trilogy, to me, is better.

#15 Posted by brimmul777 (4031 posts) -

No

#16 Posted by warmblur (2165 posts) -

I was when I was a kid but I prefer the darker and less cartoonish tone of the Nolan films.

#17 Posted by DoomNukem3D (176 posts) -

As far as Superhero movies go the two Burton Batman films and the first two Sam Raimi Spiderman films are the ones I've enjoyed the most of course I haven't seen either of them in years and I'm not sure I'd get much out of rewatching them. That said I think Nolans Batman trilogy is boring but I think everything I've seen from Nolan is boring. I haven't really touched the MCU much, from what I have seen it's not for me.

#18 Posted by tohot240 (27 posts) -

Yes actually the Tim Burton Batman films were better than then the Heath Ledger batman films.

R.I.P. Health Ledger.

#19 Posted by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

@doomnukem3d said:

As far as Superhero movies go the two Burton Batman films and the first two Sam Raimi Spiderman films are the ones I've enjoyed the most of course I haven't seen either of them in years and I'm not sure I'd get much out of rewatching them. That said I think Nolans Batman trilogy is boring but I think everything I've seen from Nolan is boring. I haven't really touched the MCU much, from what I have seen it's not for me.

Spiderman 2's an amazing movie. The more rewatches, the better it becomes.

Deffo put it above Nolans movies, no question.

#20 Posted by Sevenizz (3648 posts) -

I didn’t like those films. I liked the one with the chubby batgirl and acting skills of Arnold and Uma.

#21 Edited by SOedipus (11398 posts) -

Batman Returns kicks ass. I remember watching that as a kid. Scared the hell out of me, even from the beginning. That poor kitty.

#22 Posted by Speeny (1517 posts) -

@SOedipus: Yeah it scared the hell out of me as well. Especially most Catwoman scenes.

#23 Posted by 360ru13r (1847 posts) -

Yes I am a fan of the TIm Burton Series of Batman. Like I may love Heath Ledgers Joker just Jack Nicholas Joker is really good if not a classic. Michael Keaton does not get enough credit as being a good Batman IMO. Like Tim's Batman and Batman Return will be rewatchable Batman movies for generations.

#24 Edited by ycdeo (2696 posts) -

i am a fan of batman games and movie.