Are you a fan of the Devil Wears Prada band?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

I saw them live and they were great the music was the best part very talented imo I loved it

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
No.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Yes, I love them.

And I've seen them twice.

Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts
No, not my type of music.
ToppledPillars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ToppledPillars
Member since 2010 • 1590 Posts

Impossible to listen to, and it isn't because of the harsh vocals. It's because they aren't good.

just my 2 cents don't mean to sound like a jerk !!!! =D

Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Parandrus
Member since 2008 • 2511 Posts
No, they're average at best. And they weren't that good live imo.
bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

Absolutely not I do.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
who? and i've never seen the movie.
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

No I don't like them.

JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts
I like them. I saw them with Killswitch Engage and they put on an amazing show. Seeing them again later on in the month.
jjj13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 jjj13
Member since 2005 • 2399 Posts
They are a great band, but I never saw them love yet.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

I love them, and they are only getting better with each album, their newest EP is so sick. Right up there with Miss May I and Bleed From Within for me.

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts

They aren't a very good bad.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

thought that was a movie :?

Aural_Assault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aural_Assault
Member since 2005 • 614 Posts

Generic teeny metalcore? No thanks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Aural_Assault

They used to be generic, but the new stuff they are pumping out is far from..

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

Plagues is a good CD, but everything else is pretty mediocre.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Not really. They have one or two good songs but thats about it for me.
TDWPxZombies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TDWPxZombies
Member since 2010 • 112 Posts

Thank you. I can tell you made this topic JUST for me (: And to answer your question....well you already know the answer.

Aural_Assault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Aural_Assault

[QUOTE="Aural_Assault"]

FrostyPhantasm

Far from what?... Good? Original? Noteworthiness? If I had to describe "generic" with a sound I would use the DWP.

Formula for the DWP:

Generic syncopated breakdown, done-to-death angsty whiny chorus, generic syncopated breakdown, done-to-death angsty whiny chorus, analogous soft bridge, generic syncopated breakdown.

That formula is no different in "the new stuff" either, andwas already done to death in 2004. This band wouldn't annoy the living crap out of me so much if they appeared around 1998 when they would have been fresh and original. But five million generic metalcore bands exist now and the DWP does nothing to separate itself from the pack. Everything they do has been overdone (100 times better) already.

JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts

Thank you. I can tell you made this topic JUST for me (: And to answer your question....well you already know the answer.

TDWPxZombies
No?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e97585ea928c

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"][QUOTE="Aural_Assault"]

Aural_Assault

Far from what?... Good? Original? Noteworthiness? If I had to describe "generic" with a sound I would use the DWP.

Formula for the DWP:

Generic syncopated breakdown, done-to-death angsty whiny chorus, generic syncopated breakdown, done-to-death angsty whiny chorus, analogous soft bridge, generic syncopated breakdown.

That formula is no different in "the new stuff" either, andwas already done to death in 2004. This band wouldn't annoy the living crap out of me so much if they appeared around 1998 when they would have been fresh and original. But five million generic metalcore bands exist now and the DWP does nothing to separate itself from the pack. Everything they do has been overdone (100 times better) already.

May i ask who these people who have done it better are? Also, it's not like almost everything in the music industry hasn't ever been done before, bands can't simply make up something original everyday and make it sound good.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

No. I'd rather listen to some Gorod, and pretty much everything else I've put on a list, somewhere.

Beyond_Belief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Beyond_Belief
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

No. I'd rather listen to some Gorod, and pretty much everything else I've put on a list, somewhere.

CRS98

This guy knows what good metal is. TDWP is just boring to listen, all they do is just scream into the mic there is just nothing memorable about them unless you want to hear a breakdown every song.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Yes, I do like them.
TwilightTown15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TwilightTown15
Member since 2009 • 1711 Posts

I haven't listened to them, so no.

Aural_Assault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Aural_Assault

[QUOTE="Aural_Assault"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

FrostyPhantasm

Formula for the DWP:

May i ask who these people who have done it better are? Also, it's not like almost everything in the music industry hasn't ever been done before, bands can't simply make up something original everyday and make it sound good.

Yes they can. They do all the time. Turn off the radio for two minutes, surf the web a bit, and you'll find plenty of original things out there. Look at a band like As I Lay Dying or Trivium. If those bands were still doing what they were doing in 2003 and 2005 I'd hate them as much as the DWP because they'd just be another unoriginal generic metalcore band, but they refuse to be generic and their sound keeps progressing, changing, and adding elements that weren't on other releases.

Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Underoath, Bleeding Through, Unearth, Atreyu, All That Remains... most of those were great bands in the former part of this decade that have stagnated themselves in the latter part of it. The DWP came on the scene contributing nothing new to the mix when metalcore had already started putrifying. Metalcore is the new hair metal. It will die a tragic death due to overuse and stagnation thanks to groups like the ones I just mentioned (who were great when they came out in the late 90s and early 00s) and the DWP (who was never great).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Formula for the DWP:

Aural_Assault

Yes they can. They do all the time. Turn off the radio for two minutes, surf the web a bit, and you'll find plenty of original things out there. Look at a band like As I Lay Dying or Trivium. If those bands were still doing what they were doing in 2003 and 2005 I'd hate them as much as the DWP because they'd just be another unoriginal generic metalcore band, but they refuse to be generic and their sound keeps progressing, changing, and adding elements that weren't on other releases.

Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Underoath, Bleeding Through, Unearth, Atreyu, All That Remains... most of those were great bands in the former part of this decade that have stagnated themselves in the latter part of it. The DWP came on the scene contributing nothing new to the mix when metalcore had already started putrifying. Metalcore is the new hair metal. It will die a tragic death due to overuse and stagnation thanks to groups like the ones I just mentioned (who were great when they came out in the late 90s and early 00s) and the DWP (who was never great).

You assume i listen to the radio when i infact do not, and instead rely on forums, advice from friends, last.fm, youtube and google to find all my music. Not to mention i listen to every one of the bands you just listed as great. However i do not think of music as a wine, i don't need it to have all the right fantastic magical qualities that none of the others have had, as long as it sounds good, and it's not boring, it's good music. That's what music is for, good listening. The general formula might not have changed, but they have sure improved and changed their sound and continue to do so. Same with bands like Bleed From Within and Miss May I, who i have no doubt you also despise.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

Formula for the DWP:

Aural_Assault

I was about to take you seriously until you name dropped As I Lay Dying and Trivium. And then you through in Killswitch Engage as well... I don't like TDWP either. I don't hate them, but they're a little too generic for my liking. The clean singing is grating and takes me out of it to be honest.
TDWPxZombies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TDWPxZombies
Member since 2010 • 112 Posts

[QUOTE="Aural_Assault"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

FrostyPhantasm

You assume i listen to the radio when i infact do not, and instead rely on forums, advice from friends, last.fm, youtube and google to find all my music. Not to mention i listen to every one of the bands you just listed as great. However i do not think of music as a wine, i don't need it to have all the right fantastic magical qualities that none of the others have had, as long as it sounds good, and it's not boring, it's good music. That's what music is for, good listening. The general formula might not have changed, but they have sure improved and changed their sound and continue to do so. Same with bands like Bleed From Within and Miss May I, who i have no doubt you also despise.

BTW! Miss May I's new album is amazing!! Haha XD

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

No, i do not. They are my genre of music but they dont have any harmony to their music, their chords dont mix and its just bad.

Aural_Assault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Aural_Assault

I was about to take you seriously until you name dropped As I Lay Dying and Trivium. And then you through in Killswitch Engage as well... I don't like TDWP either. I don't hate them, but they're a little too generic for my liking. The clean singing is grating and takes me out of it to be honest. frostybanana

I "name dropped" them because they break away from their metalcore roots enough to be decent and original, thus I don't have any reason to bash them like I do the rest of the groups I mentioned. And don't get me wrong, while we have KsE to thank for artistically killing off nu-metal, I've despised them since As Daylight Dies.

FrostyPhantasm

I didn't list all those bands as "great." I didn't mean to give that impression. I liked (past tense) a few of them. But what else can I assume when you say that bands can't "make up something original every day and make it sound good"? Anybody who claims to use last.fm, youtube, forums, and google to find new music as you claim you do should know that's not true.

That's fine if you don't think of music as a wine, but I do. It's not soda pop or McDonald's for me. It is an art that I take seriously. If it's not offering something new, or improving on a formula, or giving a fresh take, then I will treat it like the dirty prostitute it is and not waste my time with it. You're using subjective terms like "sounds good" and "not boring" to define "good" music. I prefer to use objective terms to quantify quality and listenability. Speaking strictly objectively, the DWP--and yes, Miss May I as well--are generic and bring nothing new to the table. Therefore, speaking objectively, they suck. I won't comment on Bleed From Within because I haven't heard them (but looking at their profile on metal-archives makes me want to check them out because I like melodeath).

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I just like the film. :P
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts
I like them. I saw them with Killswitch Engage and they put on an amazing show. Seeing them again later on in the month.JC346
Doooood, I love your Tommy Rogers Sig. So epic :)
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Not br00talz enuff for me, sorry.

Well actually I find that type of music very bland. There's very few metalcore bands I can enjoy. The few I do enjoy are more similar to Burnt By The Sun than to TDWP or Killswitch Engage. It's like metalcore without the irritating hooks and whiny clean vocals.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Yeah they are great.

McainTehNub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 McainTehNub
Member since 2008 • 599 Posts

CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG

Garbage haircut-core that makes scene kids wanna scream into their hairbrushes. 0/10

Asneakyshoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Asneakyshoe
Member since 2009 • 275 Posts

Metalcore = Nu- Metal = Hair metal. I dont listen to any of it.

stormtrooper32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 stormtrooper32
Member since 2004 • 2221 Posts

Metalcore = Nu- Metal = Hair metal. I dont listen to any of it.

Asneakyshoe

What he said.