Are there any films that are similar / on par with Terrence Malicks film making?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts

Are there any films that are similar / on par with Terrence Malicks film making genius ?

I am so obsessed with his films at the moment. I have seen all 5. I can't wait for the next one. I absolutely love the philosophical narration in the newer ones. Is there any films that use that, or any really good films similar to his style of filmmaking. He is by far and wide my favourite director.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Try some Tarkovsky movies, I guess. The camera is not as alive and the amount of narration is usually negligible but the basics are sort of similar.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Into the Wild visually borrows heavily from Malick and its no coincidence that a few years after Sean Penn made that he was in The Tree of Life :D
DharmaMember77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DharmaMember77
Member since 2010 • 2377 Posts

Haven't seen it but I keep hearing about how much The Assaination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford was heavily influenced by Malick.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

To be honest, not really. Malick makes truly ambient material that flows in its own way, it's hard to make a movie heavily inspired by his.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I personally prefer quality movies.
Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7 lightwarrior179
Member since 2006 • 3422 Posts

If you know Malick then you'll know he isn't the kind that makes his movies in haste and takes an awful amount of time in making one. Almost a decade since Thin Red Line until he finally came out with Tree of Life. Seeing how he's nearing 70, I don't think he has got a lot of movies in him. Which is why I'm hoping the Academy awards him Best Director not only because Tree of Life deserves it but also because they would indirectly award his entire body of work like they did when they awarded Scorsese and Danny Boyle for less-deserving movies.

As for Malick-like films,you can find slow direction and attention to subtle details in a couple of directors but his themes are a bit tougher to find. Haibane Renmei is the closest I can recall.An anime that is as slow and dreamy/surreal like many of his movies yet revolves around some of Malick's favourite themes.

The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Pacific
Member since 2011 • 1804 Posts
Nah, the Thin Red Line is one of my all time favorite films. Terrence is in a league of his own I think.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

not really, few directors (at least in english) come close to his level of 'deepness' and philisophical symbolism. Even he doesnt win best picture or best director, i will be dissapoint

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
I was hugely dissapointed by The Tree of Life although The Thin Red Line is still one of my favorite movies ever.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Try some Tarkovsky movies, I guess. The camera is not as alive and the amount of narration is usually negligible but the basics are sort of similar.

Baranga

Yes, Stalker especially. Those long takes are just beautiful. There's one shot that's so long a rainstorm comes and goes.

Been wanting to check out the two movies of his I haven't seen (The Mirror and one other one, can't remember) but I can't find them anywhere.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
I was hugely dissapointed by The Tree of Life although The Thin Red Line is still one of my favorite movies ever.kuraimen
seriously? The tree of life was one of the deepest movies ive ever seen. Try rolling up and then watching it ;)
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]I was hugely dissapointed by The Tree of Life although The Thin Red Line is still one of my favorite movies ever.BossPerson
seriously? The tree of life was one of the deepest movies ive ever seen. Try rolling up and then watching it ;)

Well could be lol but I thought he tried to say too much and that he didn't manage to get the message across as well as he achieved with The Thin Red Line. I think in TTRL the message was much simpler but it managed to say things better. The Tree of Life appeared to me more like a collage of ideas badly put together than something to inspire thought, it was more in a way to inspire sensations. But well that was my impression, a couple of friends of mine disagree and think it is genius while other friends agree with me. At least with TTRL there wasn't so much discordance, everybody I know seemed to love it :P. I prefer a more traditional style of storytelling it seemed too experimental for my taste.
xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xXShortroundXx
Well could be lol but I thought he tried to say too much and that he didn't manage to get the message across as well as he achieved with The Thin Red Line. I think in TTRL the message was much simpler but it managed to say things better. The Tree of Life appeared to me more like a collage of ideas badly put together than something to inspire thought, it was more in a way to inspire sensations. But well that was my impression, a couple of friends of mine disagree and think it is genius while other friends agree with me. At least with TTRL there wasn't so much discordance, everybody I know seemed to love it :P. I prefer a more traditional style of storytelling it seemed too experimental for my taste.

The Thin Red Line is a more traditional narrative wheras The Tree of Life is a visual film like 2001 A Space Odyssey, so maybe you didn't like it because it wasn't explained to you. It definetly takes more than one viewing to absorb everything the film has to offer. You might like it more the second time.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Haven't seen it but I keep hearing about how much The Assaination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford was heavily influenced by Malick.

DharmaMember77
It is. I believe he worked with Malick on The New World.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kuraimen
Well could be lol but I thought he tried to say too much and that he didn't manage to get the message across as well as he achieved with The Thin Red Line. I think in TTRL the message was much simpler but it managed to say things better. The Tree of Life appeared to me more like a collage of ideas badly put together than something to inspire thought, it was more in a way to inspire sensations. But well that was my impression, a couple of friends of mine disagree and think it is genius while other friends agree with me. At least with TTRL there wasn't so much discordance, everybody I know seemed to love it :P. I prefer a more traditional style of storytelling it seemed too experimental for my taste.xXShortroundXx
The Thin Red Line is a more traditional narrative wheras The Tree of Life is a visual film like 2001 A Space Odyssey, so maybe you didn't like it because it wasn't explained to you. It definetly takes more than one viewing to absorb everything the film has to offer. You might like it more the second time.

Yeah might give it a try someday. I didn't hate it but after watching The Thin Red Line I was expecting something else. I love 2001 Space Odyssey by the way.
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

I don't think understanding The Tree of Life is an issue. It's a relatively straightforward film. The emotional level is where it seems to split people... well at least for me anyway. Tarkovsky's The Mirror is quite similar to ToL and Tarkovsky in general is fantastic. Kieslowski, Bresson and Antonioni may also be of your fancy.

xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xXShortroundXx

I don't think understanding The Tree of Life is an issue. It's a relatively straightforward film. The emotional level is where it seems to split people... well at least for me anyway. Tarkovsky's The Mirror is quite similar to ToL and Tarkovsky in general is fantastic. Kieslowski, Bresson and Antonioni may also be of your fancy.

Jazz_Fan
I've heard the picture quality on Tarkovskys films are pretty shocking. Is this true. I can get 5 of his films for a really cheap price, but man poor picture quality irritates me. When I was watching Yoji Yamadas Twilight Samurai recently I was a little offput by the picture quality even though it's a fantastic film.
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

I've heard the picture quality on Tarkovskys films are pretty shocking. Is this true. I can get 5 of his films for a really cheap price, but man poor picture quality irritates me. When I was watching Yoji Yamadas Twilight Samurai recently I was a little offput by the picture quality even though it's a fantastic film.xXShortroundXx

I'm not familiar with the New Zealand releases of his films. In America, all of his films are released by either Criterion or Kino (with the exception of Nostalghia) and they're all top notch. I'm not sure if there is any website you can go to get reviews on the releases in your area... Sorry about that.