Are the big animation studios right about people not wanting to watch traditional?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I'm talking about movies. How can they be right if there still are all these successful 2D animated shows on TV, like Rick and Morty, Bob's Burgers, The Simpsons, Steven Universe, Archer, Family Guy, My Little Pony, the original stuff on Netflix...? I believe it's a huge misconception.

Personally, I'm not watching another CG animation anytime soon, unless invited. It's not that they are bad, but I prefer traditional by a mile and am just sick of CG. The lack of traditional animation embitters me.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

It's kind of hard to say. Traditional animated movies were underperforming in the early 00's while CG was doing well, but overall quality of the hand drawn stuff (Home on the Range, Brother Bear) was not on par with the CG (Incredibles, the good Shreks). Can't really think of a year when the two styles went head to head with movies of equivalent quality.

Would like to see more hand drawn movies as i prefer the style.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Traditional cell animation i do not believe exists, at all, anymore. Lion King *i think* is when they stopped drawing every frame, but i could be wrong.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Super:_Broly#Box_office

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

The problem with traditional 2D animation these days is the fact that every time there's been a modern attempt at creating a new one, they completely bomb at the box office in contrast to a generally safer bet for a computer animated film. Disney, for example: their last major 2D attempt was for Princess and the Frog and yet that movie flopped financially. That was one of Disney's final attempts to see if 2D is at all marketable anymore, and unfortunately Disney sets the trends and if they're just going to do computer animation, then so will the rest of the industry.

Most of the cartoon shows you include are not traditional 2D animations but ones created with computers. At the end of the day and regardless, TV shows just aren't the same as movies. Unfortunately it's a bigger problem in movies right now than it is in TV.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@heirren said:

Traditional cell animation i do not believe exists, at all, anymore. Lion King *i think* is when they stopped drawing every frame, but i could be wrong.

@jaydan said:

Most of the cartoon shows you include are not traditional 2D animations but ones created with computers.

We know. You know what I meant. I don't see why we have to get into this. I've asked this same question on a film forum and no one so far has brought up this obvious point. Calling it traditional just sounds more right than saying drawn animation or 2D. If I said hand-drawn animation, someone would probably still bring up that it's done on computers now (by hand).

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=319527

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@ezekiel43:

Im not referring to whether its on a cell or in the computer, what im saying is that *i believe* around that time there was frame interpolation. Again i could be wrong on that.

Disney got rid of a bunch of their staff when things started to shift. These people went on to do The Secret of Nimh, which is excellent, btw. 100% by hand.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts
@ezekiel43 said:
@heirren said:

@jaydan said:

Most of the cartoon shows you include are not traditional 2D animations but ones created with computers.

We know. You know what I meant. I don't see why we have to get into this. I've asked this same question on a film forum and no one so far has brought up this obvious point. Calling it traditional just sounds more right than saying drawn animation or 2D. If I said hand-drawn animation, someone would probably still bring up that it's done on computers now (by hand).

I would not say so. I do not look at South Park or Family Guy the same way I look at Fox and the Hound. To me that's the difference between stop-motion and claymation. There are different mediums at use here and I don't think the success of adult-grade cartoon shows are the same as the issue we have at hand in cinema over the lack of traditional animation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@jaydan said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@heirren said:

@jaydan said:

I would not say so. I do not look at South Park or Family Guy the same way I look at Fox and the Hound. To me that's the difference between stop-motion and claymation. There are different mediums at use here and I don't think the success of adult-grade cartoon shows are the same as the issue we have at hand in cinema over the lack of traditional animation.

I didn't just list adult cartoon shows.

Again, you know exactly what I meant, so there is no point in getting into semantics, especially since someone would undoubtedly still bring this up if I said hand-drawn animation. 2D wouldn't make sense, because it just sounds like an animation that isn't stereoscopic. It is traditional in the sense that it is still about moving drawings and rendered by hand. South Park never was similar to the kind of animation we are talking about, even when they did it without computers, which is why I consciously excluded it from my OP. It speaks volumes when movie buffs who know way more about movies than most people don't get into this silly debate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@heirren said:

@ezekiel43:

Im not referring to whether its on a cell or in the computer, what im saying is that *i believe* around that time there was frame interpolation. Again i could be wrong on that.

Disney got rid of a bunch of there staff when things started to shift. These people went on to do The Secret of Nimh, which is excellent, btw. 100% by hand.

Ordered!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

After watching the enchanting, impressively animated Anastasia the night before, I was inspired to ask one of the supervisors at my job yesterday if he misses traditionally animated movies, as a former Disney artist. He said that he misses them so much and would try so bad to get back in if they started making them again. The guy is probably in his thirties. So many unused artists because Hollywood is too afraid to diversify. I wouldn't work on CG animation either if I grew up wanting to make traditional.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'm still not sure why 2D animation went away, but I figure it has something to do with 3D being a lot easier and cheaper to make.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@Ovirew said:

I'm still not sure why 2D animation went away, but I figure it has something to do with 3D being a lot easier and cheaper to make.

Need citation for 3D being cheaper. Princess and the Frog was 105 million dollars, while Frozen was 150 mill.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I can't really comment on this because who knows. But, I myself am a big fan & really miss traditional animation.

There's something so magical about hand drawn animation. Flipping through the pages & seeing the drawings come to life.

I've always wondered how incredible it would be to go into the Disney archives and flip through the some of the original pages of their films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#15 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@Ovirew said:

Need citation for 3D being cheaper. Princess and the Frog was 105 million dollars, while Frozen was 150 mill.

Yeah I guess you're right, looks like 3D movies cost more to make.

I really have no idea why 2D has been abandoned.