are cops getting too violent these days?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ParonoiaAgent
Member since 2009 • 688 Posts

TEXAS - A crowd of more than 100 protesters chanted "No more!" from the steps of the Tarrant County Courthouse Sunday evening as they demanded an investigation into a police raid earlier in the day at a gay night club.
One patron was seriously injured in the raid, several protesters said, as police used excessive force in making seven arrests. Police defended their actions.
Speaker after speaker demanded an inquiry into the late-night raid at the Rainbow Lounge on South Jennings Street.
"I was scared," patron Todd Camp said at the protest Sunday afternoon. "I have never seen anything like this in my life."...
Witnesses say that police arrived at the nightclub about 1 a.m. Sunday and arrested seven people and that one of those arrested suffered a fractured skull during the take down and is at a Fort Worth hospital.

New CNN video - http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/06/29/dnt.tx.gay.bar.controversy.kdaf
Here's another link to the story as well. http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1458523.html
Another - http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2009/06/on_40th_anniversary_of_stonew...

Personally I believe this was done purposely, for them to do a "random bar check" with multiple cruisers and officers is hard to believe. They used excessive force, cracking one guys skull. To do this on the Stonewall anniversary is pretty unacceptable, I hope they get to the bottom of this.

discuss.

Avatar image for deactivated-583cc789d981d
deactivated-583cc789d981d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 125

#2 deactivated-583cc789d981d
Member since 2008 • 1722 Posts

yes and no, in australia cops have pretty much no power to do anything, if they make physical contact the criminal can sue, press charges and otherwise make that cops life miserable and if the crim is non anglo-saxon then they can cry racism which almost always gets them off, but obviously we can't have police laws like china where they bash people up, it is a complex issue as not many countries have got it right, they are either too lenient like aus or too excessive like in china and burma, the us is one of the better countries, i watch "Cops" and wish that our police were like that:D

xxmatt125xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xxmatt125xx
Member since 2005 • 1899 Posts
In some cases yes but its down to the indervidual Police Officers judgement i have family in the police force and i know first hand there is plenty of Police officer who dont care about the job its a paycheck nothing more. For people like that they should not work in the Police, i think the law system in general is becoming to soft its working more for the criminals than the people.
ParonoiaAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ParonoiaAgent
Member since 2009 • 688 Posts

yes and no, in australia cops have pretty much no power to do anything, if they make physical contact the criminal can sue, press charges and otherwise make that cops life miserable and if the crim is non anglo-saxon then they can cry racism which almost always gets them off, but obviously we can't have police laws like china where they bash people up, it is a complex issue as not many countries have got it right, they are either too lenient like aus or too excessive like in china and burma, the us is one of the better countries, i watch "Cops" and wish that our police were like that:D

Phoenix6359

Really? most people here would LOVE your police.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
You really have to look at history to know we've never had it so good. >_>
Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Avistann
Member since 2008 • 7102 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix6359"]

ParonoiaAgent

I would HATE that kind of police work. At least in the states we get stuff done in the police force.
Avatar image for import_fighter1
import_fighter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 import_fighter1
Member since 2003 • 1218 Posts
No people are losing discipline and respect. When an officer tells you to do something, such as stay in your vehicle, STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE... if you knew how many criminals many police officers face all the time, you would act the same way the officers do to protect yourself and others. Criminals don't always have a certain look. Just because someone is a mother or a teenager, there should be no change in tactics used. I just read a story awhile back how a 13 year old shot and killed a police officer when approaching the vehicle.. Officers have no idea who the person/persons are that they are in situations with. Everyone has to abide by the same rules and the officers need to use the same tactics for everyone. Not for just a certain race or if she has kids with her..
distort10n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 distort10n
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts

No people are losing discipline and respect. When an officer tells you to do something, such as stay in your vehicle, STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE... if you knew how many criminals many police officers face all the timeimport_fighter1

It's a two way street. An individual often considers their situation when encountering police. Selfish? Perhaps, but many of the current situations that have sparked forum threads shows an ignorant innocence on part of the person involved. I do not believe for one minute that every time a person 'disobeys' a police officer is being outright disrespectful, it is the cognitive dissonance between their belief they did not do anything wrong while being yelled at or threatened with detainment. The person is trying to naively reason with the police officer and the officer needs to be able to discern this from someone who is just being a schmuck.

Police officers hold a position of power over the average citizen and need to be held to a higher standard of behavior and practice. When they fail, the consequences should be strict.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Well, they seem to love their tasers a bit too much...

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

Compared to around 40/50 years ago, no.

xxxAdvocatexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xxxAdvocatexxx
Member since 2008 • 1797 Posts

[QUOTE="ParonoiaAgent"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix6359"]

Avistann

I would HATE that kind of police work. At least in the states we get stuff done in the police force.

I agree Passive law enforcement would just make the Crime more tolerable in the us. Sometimes the Police do go out of hand... But majority of the police are good.

xxxAdvocatexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxxAdvocatexxx
Member since 2008 • 1797 Posts

Well, they seem to love their tasers a bit too much...

supa_badman

I would jump at the chance to taser a jerk.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Phoenix6359
What rubbish, i live in Sydney and have seen police not only use excessive force, but START a fight with a drunken tourist, proceed to slam him on the ground putting a few punches in and then arresting him. Australian police can and do use excessive force and in this case, did it purely for the fun. and i know its fun before moments earlier i saw those same police telling someone to move on for just walking past them (he was walking from the kebab shop back to the pub and they were standing on the side walk between the two). As the guy turned around and walked the other way, one of the cops said to the other "Dam i wish he said something so i could give him one"..
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I think the problem is that cops aren't bending to public pressure. It was starting to get to the point where if cops crossed the line and people got up in arms about it they would apologize. Recently it seems like whenever someone calls cops out for doing something wrong they get ever more indignant and defensive. That troubles me just as much, if not more than the rise in violence reported.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

If you are talking about the US.. no... if you are talking about countries such as mine.. yea.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
No, not really. If anything they have become less violent over the years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

No, it's just that you're hearing about it because of the internet

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix6359"]

ParonoiaAgent

I don't believe that's true....
Electr1c-Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Electr1c-Shot
Member since 2007 • 345 Posts

Even if some cops are violent, a lot of them have to deal with crap the entire day and just dont care anymore.

In my town, which is full of drugies, the state cops dont take s**t because they have to deal with these punks all day and get tired of it. Every so often they get a little out of hand, but I dont blame 'em. I'd like to punch a few of these idiot's faces in my self.

Delphanius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Delphanius
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts

I think cops are always violent.

chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts

not where i live...

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts
Funny thing is when something against the police shows up, the guy who get badly treated is "always innocent Its like this: "No, we were innocently dealing drugs and beating old ladies to pick their purse, when those evil and ugly police officers just appears out of nowhere and they start firing ther lazers! Why i had to get hurt so bad when i wasn`t doing any harm?" People often use the assumption of the law that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise to attack the cops, its always "i wasn`t doing nothing very wrong when i got attacked all of sudden...", and the media loves to show these cases in a distorted way. Sure there are cops who abuse their powers, but its not ever of them, and you have to remember that there are more 15 years jerks who drives alcoholized than bad cops.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
[QUOTE="meiaman"]Funny thing is when something against the police shows up, the guy who get badly treated is "always innocent Its like this: "No, we were innocently dealing drugs and beating old ladies to pick their purse, when those evil and ugly police officers just appears out of nowhere and they start firing ther lazers! Why i had to get hurt so bad when i wasn`t doing any harm?" People often use the assumption of the law that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise to attack the cops, its always "i wasn`t doing nothing very wrong when i got attacked all of sudden...", and the media loves to show these cases in a distorted way. Sure there are cops who abuse their powers, but its not ever of them, and you have to remember that there are more 15 years jerks who drives alcoholized than bad cops.

You know sometimes the cop do overstep the law.....
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I wouldn't say cops are as violent these days. Typically a police officer has been a fairly easy position of power, and respect to gain. Hence the job typically attracts power hungry individuals that aren't necessarily worthy of the position, and abuses take place.

One concept I always hated about the police department is the idea of the "Blue Shield." Police Officers are expected to turn the other way, lie or cover up when another cop does something wrong. This means that "bad cops" rarely get caught red handed. It also means that the reputation of cops is hurt, and their job becomes harder, and more dangerous.

mramz88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mramz88
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts
more media focus on things makes ppl thing more of those "things" are happening. no cops arent getting more violent. ppl that join police/military forces do so so they can look tough and carry a big gun and tell ppl what to do. i dream of being a cop and smashing the teeth and braces of 14yr old nerds with my baton almost every time im pondering my existence while on the crapper
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Not really.. violence is a part of human nature.

mramz88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mramz88
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

EMOEVOLUTION
true, and when you have a uniform and badge that says "the law allows me to be more violent than the average person" you will get excited
Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Avistann
Member since 2008 • 7102 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="meiaman"]Funny thing is when something against the police shows up, the guy who get badly treated is "always innocent Its like this: "No, we were innocently dealing drugs and beating old ladies to pick their purse, when those evil and ugly police officers just appears out of nowhere and they start firing ther lazers! Why i had to get hurt so bad when i wasn`t doing any harm?" People often use the assumption of the law that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise to attack the cops, its always "i wasn`t doing nothing very wrong when i got attacked all of sudden...", and the media loves to show these cases in a distorted way. Sure there are cops who abuse their powers, but its not ever of them, and you have to remember that there are more 15 years jerks who drives alcoholized than bad cops.

You know sometimes the cop do overstep the law.....

Yes sometimes some cops but cops get so much crap for doing their job. People just like to complain and hope they can find some loophole to help them get out of their problems and their own faults.
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]

mramz88
true, and when you have a uniform and badge that says "the law allows me to be more violent than the average person" you will get excited

While that is true in many cases, you have to agree that you're dealing with a minority. If it was true with a majority than most legal systems would collapse within themselves.
Meejoe27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Meejoe27
Member since 2009 • 786 Posts

Taze first ask questions later imo.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

Really depends on where you live. I just moved counties a few years back, and the cops around here seem pretty nice. But in my old county most of the cops were corrupt/did hard drugs, and given the choice of running into a cop late at night or a drug dealer I'd have gone with the drug dealer. But now that I've moved most of the cops seem very professional, and so of course there are twice as many complaints filed against them.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
kinda. they need more tests to weed out the wackos
NaiveChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NaiveChild
Member since 2008 • 416 Posts

Everyone's always been too violent always.