Are conservatives better about buying American goods than liberals?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I was reading a newspaper yesturday and it mentioned that the japanese car companies domanate the market on the west coast and in the northeast, which are the most liberal portions of the country. This got me thinking, is that purely coincodence, or are conservatives simply more contious when it comes to buying goods or helping the economy move forward? Buying Chevy rather than Toyota for instance.

Sidenote: if you drive a Prius, you are a pu5sy

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I'm pretty sure most people don't pay much attention to where most of the stuff they buy is made. Cars may be one of the very few exceptions.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I doubt it. Generally republicans are conservatives, and republicans are generally richer then democrats so I'd say it's quiet the opposite, they love Foxconn.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts
I'm pretty sure most people don't pay much attention to where most of the stuff they buy is made. Cars may be one of the very few exceptions.chessmaster1989
Yeah. If anything, it's probably more closely tied to the types of vehicles offered and the various reputations companies have for those types of vehicles. Trucks, in particular, do very well in the midwest and the south, and Chevy and Ford have built up a good reputation amongst many loyal truck buyers.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

republicans are generally richer then democrats Fightingfan

Completely false.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats Blue-Sky

Completely false.

ehh. I associate money with Republicans, I have yet to see a non GOP with Bill Gates money.

*Take that back JFK.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats Fightingfan

Completely false.

ehh. I associate money with Republicans, I have yet to see a non GOP with Bill Gates money.

What about Bill Gates? :P I'll throw in Warren Buffett as well.
ZX81plus3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZX81plus3
Member since 2012 • 181 Posts
if you drive a Prius, you are a pu5syMakeMeaSammitch
Your not a real man unless your pumping out carcinogenics and melting the ice caps?
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Completely false.

mattbbpl

For the top 1%, I see it split between industries. energy, banks, manufacturing lean republican; Entertainment, retail, tech lean democrat. For the rest of America, it's pretty even across income levels.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
A few of my friends are some of the most conservative people I know and they've stated several times that their favorite cars are JDM. In fact, they hate American cars.
SilentFireX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SilentFireX
Member since 2005 • 1956 Posts
Not necessarily.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Completely false.

mattbbpl

Bill is independent; Warren is Demo.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Seriously who the fvck would care about this kind of comparison? Are conservatives really so desperate for people to find them more "patriotic" than the godless heathen liberals or what?

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Nah, my girlfriend's old man is as conservative as they come, and he loves shopping at wal-mart. Fact of the matter is; if even half the U.S. population were more concerned with buying American over cheaper prices, the U.S. wouldn't have such a trade deficit.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I don't know, I just want to know who buys the most German cars.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]if you drive a Prius, you are a pu5syZX81plus3
Your not a real man unless your pumping out carcinogenics and melting the ice caps?

ironically those cars actually polute more than gas heavy cars because the process of making them and disposing of them creates some nasty biproducts.

Laugh at the prius pu5sy. Laugh!!!

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats Blue-Sky

Completely false.

Actually, it is true.

cesarexec22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cesarexec22
Member since 2012 • 47 Posts
mostly all the wealthy people buy audi , bmw and all those other highend cars which do not support the american economy lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats Fightingfan

Completely false.

*Take that back JFK.

The Leaders of the Republican party are, but the states and districts that vote Republican and contain a majority of voters registered as republican are in general much poorer than democratic ones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats coolbeans90

Completely false.

Actually, it is true.

No It's not.
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Completely false.

Nuck81

Actually, it is true.

No It's not.

I dunno, whenever I look at statistics, the most republican states are the the most poor. Mississippi, Alabama, west Virginia, ect.

I bet most of the .1% are republican though.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Completely false.

Nuck81

Actually, it is true.

No It's not.

There is a positive correlation b/w wealth and voting for/identifying as Republican. This isn't exactly surprising considering party platforms.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Actually, it is true.

coolbeans90

No It's not.

There is a positive correlation b/w wealth and voting for/identifying as Republican. This isn't exactly surprising considering party platforms.

As I said that is true for the leaders of the Republican party, and that is certainly the image they want to be associated with, but if you look at the general population that is actually Republican and vote conservative, they trend poorer than Liberals. That's a fact.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coolbeans90

Actually, it is true.

MakeMeaSammitch

No It's not.

I dunno, whenever I look at statistics, the most republican states are the the most poor. Mississippi, Alabama, west Virginia, ect.

The South is really weird, and is where a substantial amount of the low income GOP votes come from, prob due to social conservatism.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
In my experience, the people who are the most conscious about buying local goods tend to either be rural conservative communitarian types, or metropolitan hipsterish liberals. There's more overlap than you might think.
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] No It's not. coolbeans90

The South is really weird, and is where a substantial amount of the low income GOP votes come from, prob due to social conservatism.

don't like 67% of Asians vote democrat though? and they're the best off race financially.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Food Stamp Use is Highest in Red StatesIncome Gap Widest in Republican-Leaning States Coincidentally the poorer states tend to be the most religious as well.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] No It's not. Nuck81

As I said that is true for the leaders of the Republican party, and that is certainly the image they want to be associated with, but if you look at the general population that is actually Republican and vote conservative, they trend poorer than Liberals. That's a fact.

The statistics disagree.

63 percent of voters with an income of less than $30,000 per year voted for Obama. 60 percent with an income of less than $50,000 voted for Obama. Romney had a lead by eight points by those who made more than $50,000. A ten point lead by those making six digits or more. He also took the lead by those making between $50,000 and $100,000 per year. That is p. hard to spin as anything other than a fairly substantially increased likelihood of voting Republican with an increased income.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president#exit-polls

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]I dunno, whenever I look at statistics, the most republican states are the the most poor. Mississippi, Alabama, west Virginia, ect.

MakeMeaSammitch

don't like 67% of Asians vote democrat though? and they're the best off race financially.

Asians are, like, five percent of the population and the number of those who are wealthy, substantially less. It's easier to cut through the bull sh!t and just look at voting by income level.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coolbeans90

Coincidentally the poorer states tend to be the most religious as well.Nuck81

Same by countries, usually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e9044657a310

coolbeans90

The statistics disagree.

63 percent of voters with an income of less than $30,000 per year voted for Obama. 60 percent with an income of less than $50,000 voted for Obama. Romney had a lead by eight points by those who made more than $50,000. A ten point lead by those making six digits or more. He also took the lead by those making between $50,000 and $100,000 per year. That is p. hard to spin as anything other than a fairly substantially increased likelihood of voting Republican with an increased income.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president#exit-polls

Those are exit polls. Not hard data. Again the facts, and not polls, show that the Poorer states are traditionally republican majority. What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coolbeans90

Those are exit polls. Not hard data. Again the facts, and not polls, show that the Poorer states are traditionally republican majority. What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?Nuck81

Data shows that poor states vote Repulican. It does not show that poor people are more likely to vote Republican. Within those states, minorities, who tend to be poorer than their non-minority counterparts, will vote Democratic. Data shows that the richer people are, the more inclined to vote Republican, identify as Republican. Paul Krugman, a liberal, nobel-winning economist, is of the opinion that the Repulicans win the rich.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/income-and-voting/

Exit polls, while imperfect, were not double-digits off. According to those polls, Obama won very low income voters by an order of over thirty points. He lost the six-digit groups by ten.

It is very widely recognized that there is a substantial correlation between higher income and voting Republican. This holds true across racial demographics. Here's a read with a bit of statistical niceties.

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/ssqfinal.pdf

And another one:

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/unpublished/redblue11.pdf

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I was reading a newspaper yesturday and it mentioned that the japanese car companies domanate the market on the west coast and in the northeast, which are the most liberal portions of the country. This got me thinking, is that purely coincodence, or are conservatives simply more contious when it comes to buying goods or helping the economy move forward? Buying Chevy rather than Toyota for instance.MakeMeaSammitch

Those Japanese automakers keep opening manufacturing plants here in the States. Meanwhile the last time I bought American (Chrysler) the goddamn thing was made in Mexico.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Doubt it. I buy the cheapest brand I like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

You'd have to be an idiot to buy American products, so maybe.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I've never seen an official survey or study, but I would think conservatives might be slightly better. I know in my state the conservatives often try to purchase American made cars, or atleast cars that are manufactured by american companies, while the liberals don't really care. So it wouldn't surprise me if that buying habit applied to other purchases too.

I know i personally try to buy local or American when i can and when it is reasonable. Just recently I was looking for a new coat. I could buy the Asian one for about $80 or the Canadian for $100. I chose the Canadian because they are practically in my back yard and the price was only slightly higher.

Although, I also know many liberals who are VERY into the "buy local" idea when it comes to food products. So it could go either way really.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The irony of buying American is now many of the foreign car manufacturers are building cars right here in the US, especially the South were there are right to work states are plentiful. Even Michigan is trying to pass right to work legislation much to unions chagrin. The UAW really needs to look at why automakers are setting up shop in the South. Once unionized workers are now voting to not unionize as they have seen what happens when the price of their product is too expensive.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Most of the sh*t we are conditioned to buy, watch and listen to is American here, so no worries bros
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I was reading a newspaper yesturday and it mentioned that the japanese car companies domanate the market on the west coast and in the northeast, which are the most liberal portions of the country. This got me thinking, is that purely coincodence, or are conservatives simply more contious when it comes to buying goods or helping the economy move forward? Buying Chevy rather than Toyota for instance.

MakeMeaSammitch
I will say this as a democrat, I don't check where things are made when I go shopping. As far as you Prius comment goes, if being money conscious is being a pus$y, then I'm a pus$y. I don't drive Prius, but I do drive a Honda Civic. I guess paying more often at the pump is just a sign a manliness these days that I have no interest in obtaining.
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

Serraph105

I will say this as a democrat, I don't check where things are made when I go shopping. As far as you Prius comment goes, if being money conscious is being a pus$y, then I'm a pus$y. I don't drive Prius, but I do drive a Honda Civic. I guess paying more often at the pump is just a sign a manliness these days that I have no interest in obtaining.

Honda Civic isn't that bad looking.

Prius is just about the most feminine care out there, it has nothing to do with the gas mileage.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts
Conservatives are self proclaimed economic experts so they would say protectionism does not work.
C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

MakeMeaSammitch

Honda Civic isn't that bad looking.

Prius is just about the most feminine care out there, it has nothing to do with the gas mileage.

If they made a hybrid that cost $12k and got 100mpg... It could be a giant vagina on wheels for all I care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]Those are exit polls. Not hard data. Again the facts, and not polls, show that the Poorer states are traditionally republican majority. What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?coolbeans90

Data shows that poor states vote Repulican. It does not show that poor people are more likely to vote Republican. Within those states, minorities, who tend to be poorer than their non-minority counterparts, will vote Democratic. Data shows that the richer people are, the more inclined to vote Republican, identify as Republican. Paul Krugman, a liberal, nobel-winning economist, is of the opinion that the Repulicans win the rich.

Exit polls, while imperfect, were not double-digits off. According to those polls, Obama won very low income voters by an order of over thirty points. He lost the six-digit groups by ten.

It is very widely recognized that there is a substantial correlation between higher income and voting Republican. This holds true across racial demographics. Here's a read with a bit of statistical niceties.

And another one:

I never said that Rich People didn't vote Republican, but that the poorer states and area's of the country trend red. Also the gap between the have's and the have not's is larger in Conservatives.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]Those are exit polls. Not hard data. Again the facts, and not polls, show that the Poorer states are traditionally republican majority. What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?Nuck81

And another one:

I never said that Rich People didn't vote Republican, but that the poorer states and area's of the country trend red. Also the gap between the have's and the have not's is larger in Conservatives.

That is all true, but that is also different than saying that people with more money do not have a higher predispotion to vote Republican. Rich are more likely to vote Republican than upper middle class are more likely to vote Republican than middle/lower middle class are more likely to vote Republican than the poor.