Are Americans mobile (cell) phones mad like us Brits?????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

6ftUmpaLumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 6ftUmpaLumpa
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts

Almost everyone in the UK owns a mobile phone even young kids, is this the same in America or do you still use a piece of string and two cups on the end??????

I just get the impression that they haven't taken over the country like they have over here...

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#2 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I think it's funny how they've become more of an accessory than a means of communication.
Kublai-Khan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kublai-Khan
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I is nt no wut is a mobile phne wut is it?
leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts

I think it's funny how they've become more of an accessory than a means of communication.SolidSnake35

It depends. I make 200+ calls a month, from two mobile phones so don't tell me it's an accessory for me. I know people (lots of people) that make THOUSANDS of mobile calls every month.

TwiztidJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TwiztidJoker
Member since 2004 • 836 Posts
I find it weirder when a person under 45 doesn't have one.
Thanatos677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thanatos677
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts
I find it weirder when a person under 45 doesn't have one.TwiztidJoker
I dont have one
Kublai-Khan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kublai-Khan
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="TwiztidJoker"]I find it weirder when a person under 45 doesn't have one.Thanatos677
I dont have one

Lulz yuo is teh funniest

ZOI ZOI ZOI ZOI ZOI

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
Everyone has a cell phone. They're everywhere. Just yesterday I looked out one of my windows and saw a young girl riding her bike... and then did a double-take because she was talking on her cell phone at the same time.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Almost everyone in the UK owns a mobile phone even young kids, is this the same in America or do you still use a piece of string and two cups on the end??????

I just get the impression that they haven't taken over the country like they have over here...

6ftUmpaLumpa

No it definately is big over here, I mean I'm starting to see 6-8 year olds have one.

fear2max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fear2max
Member since 2008 • 442 Posts
ya just this month i've sent over 4000 texts and made like 300 calls lol
SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

Me personally, I dont own one. In fact the only person in my family that has one is my dad but its for work related stuff.

However everyone else I know does have one. I read somewhere that about 1/4 households in the US use just mobile phones and have gotten rid of their land line and land line phones.

So yes the US is just as crazy about cell phones as Britain. Although, and I am not sure it is the same over there, most people I see are texting. IMO texting is so dumb it takes 20 times longer to send a message to someone then it would just to freaking talk to them.

6ftUmpaLumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 6ftUmpaLumpa
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts
text messages are the worst people send well into thousands every month,...
TwiztidJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TwiztidJoker
Member since 2004 • 836 Posts
Easier to text while at work/in class, btw.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

They are in the USA now, but you'd be dead right about five years ago. It seemed like cell phones were huge in the UK yet nobody cared at all in the US. I remember going to florida and seeing and ad for "FLIP phone with COLOUR SCREEEN!" which had been out in the UK for about three years. :P

Not anymore though. I think they're just as popular over there as they are here, though if you ask me, they aren't even that big a deal over here any more. I know i could care less about phones. There are too many of them and they're too expensive.

Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
There are more cell phone subscriptions than inhabitants in Sweden. Some people have one phone for home and one for work. I no longer meet a person over 13 who doesn't have one.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts

I hate the prevalence of them. I'm actually comforted when my phone runs out of battery power and I'm out. No one can bother me. And if I need to make a call in an emergency there are still pay phones.

I don't think people realize that humans functioned for many many years without instantaneous communication...

Pixie_Wings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pixie_Wings
Member since 2007 • 200 Posts

6ftUmpaLumpa

From my experience, about 1 out of every hundred people I come across does not have a cell phone.

Cell phone use is so extreme over here, that all or most pay phones have been removed. I remember when every gas station had a pay phone, but not any more. My service provider was having issues one day and I tried to find a pay phone to make some calls (yes, my cell has replaced a home phone) and had to drive around for a good hour before I found one,

I was in the grocery the other day and a ten year old kid was asking his mom to buy him one. (yes, I said in the grocery. They sell them in the grocery) She, being a wise parent said, "I'll think about it." In parent, this means, "No way in ****." The only reason I can see a kid needing a cell phone, is if they are going out on a ball trip or some other supervised activity and need to call their parents for a ride home.

blackldragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blackldragon
Member since 2005 • 1540 Posts

Me personally, I dont own one. In fact the only person in my family that has one is my dad but its for work related stuff.

However everyone else I know does have one. I read somewhere that about 1/4 households in the US use just mobile phones and have gotten rid of their land line and land line phones.

So yes the US is just as crazy about cell phones as Britain. Although, and I am not sure it is the same over there, most people I see are texting. IMO texting is so dumb it takes 20 times longer to send a message to someone then it would just to freaking talk to them.

SunofVich

It's useful sometimes it just annoys me when I see someone on the street just texting serieusly why do all that work. I got my cell I use it about 2-3 times a week and I don't really even have anyone to call. But I see alot of young kids with cells nowadays. Also I find it funny how my mom who grew up with out her cell know never leaves the home without it and if she does its the end of the world. :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
I'm Canadian, but they are pretty common here as well.