This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zeldaguy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zeldaguy16
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

Just have some questions about the Arabic Language.

I'm taking Arabic next year at my high school, which is offering it for the first time next year, and I just have some things to ask.

1. What should I expect? Is it hard?

2. Are there books I can buy to understand it better?

3. How hard is writing the calligraphy?

Warlord23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Warlord23
Member since 2005 • 60 Posts

If you are American, it will be very hard for you. To my opinion it is the most annoying language ever, and not that easy.

I have to take Arabic classes in school (I live in Israel)

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts

I'm taking Arabic next year at my high school, which is offering it for the first time next year, and I just have some things to ask.

Zeldaguy16

I dono bout these questions..But i just love arabic chicks..They are just mindblowing..I once had an arabic gal frnd who then relocated to UAE so no contacts with her..Nevermind..
and ya..If u put ur 100% then impossible is nothing..
Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts
Arabic is about as annoying as Hebrew, which I wouldn't have bothered learning if it wasn't my maiden language.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts

Zeldaguy16
I know a bit 1. Just as hard as any language. 2. yeah. Id learn the letters and numbers before you start 3. not hard or too easy heres a lin to alphabet http://www.cafe-syria.com/Alphabet.htm
Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts

Zeldaguy16

1.Yes it might be hard if your not really into it and arabic is one of the hardest langauges to learn so its going to be hard but it will be usefull.

2. Well there are books you can buy that will make you better at it so yes i recommend you to buy books as well.

3. Its kinda hard at first actually really hard but after getting used to the letters and words it'll become easier in time, yet again il say it if you want to learn arabic you need to be into it if you know what i mean.

and yes im arabic but may i ask where are you from and whats your age?, thank you for reading.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

Alright so I was born in Jordan and Arabic isn't is hard for me lol, but, if you're just getting into it, it's gonna be VERY hard. Remember to read from right to left too (except for numbers).

1. Any new language can be very hard, but conjuagtion is very simple in Arabic so it shouldn't be THAT hard

2. Look at "Rossetta Stone" programs, they seem to be very helpful, I never tried one though, but I've heard good feedback from a lot of people.

3. Very simple, once you learn the alphabet, you'll have no problem with this.

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

1. Expect it to be a lot harder than the english language. But as most languages, it's going to start off the same. With alphabets. Study them well. Oh, there is also no letter equivalent to "P" and I think one more letter from the American alphabet is missing. It's "bebsi" from now on, not "Pepsi".

2. There's books on everything these days but I can't tell ya 100%.

3. It's probably the hardest part. it's as hard to read as it is to write. There are certain symbols you have to place around a letter in order for it to be read it a certain way. A small line may be written on the letter "beh" (= to B). This letter can be placed in a way that makes you say it "bee", "ba" etc...

Good luck though. It is a beautiful language though that dates back many, many years.

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zagrius
For me, generally, the less a language has to do with that throaty 'che' sound, the more pleasant it is to the ears.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ElArab

For me, generally, the less a language has to do with that throaty 'che' sound, the more pleasant it is to the ears.Zagrius

Lol, German and Arabic is not for you :P.

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zagrius

[QUOTE="Zagrius"]For me, generally, the less a language has to do with that throaty 'che' sound, the more pleasant it is to the ears.ElArab

Lol, German and Arabic is not for you :P.

Indeed. :P Of course, it could just be prejudice since I'm Jewish, but on the other hand that's part of the reason that I dislike Hebrew, so I dunno.

g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts
I took a short course while on deployment to the middle east for conversational arabic. I found the language itself to be very fluid off the tongue but trying to read it is like deciphering CIA codes or some crap.
fallconet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 fallconet
Member since 2007 • 1014 Posts
well,even for me as an iranian arabic is so hard.though our language has many similarities.:D
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ElArab

well,even for me as an iranian arabic is so hard.though our language has many similarities.:Dfallconet

I don't know much about Farsi, but I know it's pretty similiar although I still can't understand it lol.

Oh yeah, "Fushah"(spelling?) is like, the formal way of speaking arabic, and I can't speak it, so it's harder for me, but I don't know which form your class will teach you first.

Calpalg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Calpalg
Member since 2004 • 16167 Posts

1. What should I expect? Is it hard?Zeldaguy16

no harder than any other language using a different alphabet really.

2. Are there books I can buy to understand it better?Zeldaguy16

idk about that

3. How hard is writing the calligraphy?Zeldaguy16

you don't have to really, you can write as scruffily as you would english, as long as it's legible. the calligraphy is really only for more formal stuff, in my experience at least.

Pearl_of_Egypt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pearl_of_Egypt
Member since 2007 • 4073 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeldaguy16"]

k_ozz

I dono bout these questions..But i just love arabic chicks..They are just mindblowing..I once had an arabic gal frnd who then relocated to UAE so no contacts with her..Nevermind..
and ya..If u put ur 100% then impossible is nothing..

yes, we are quite hot ;)

and to answer your question, it's pretty hard. I don't know much Arabic because I forgot most of it. I used to learn it when I was little and it wasn't so bad, but I'd imagine for a westerner it would be. calligraphy wasn't so tough, it's quite pretty.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

It depends whether you are learning contemporary Arabic or Qur'anic Arabic, as the two are quick similiar. The former is easier due to the wealth of classes, while the latter is tougher since it's harder to find educational material surrounding it in the west.

I'm actually learning Arabic from www.sunnipath.com. Note, that their ciriculum is specifically geared for Qur'anic understanding. The teachers are wonderful, and it costs me something like $150 a class since I am a student. Of course, you can find software that attempts to teach the language, however I find live teachers to be much more helpful. Plus, as far as I know, they are the most best source in the United States at the moment, aside from Zaytuna Institute in California.

Zeldaguy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zeldaguy16
[QUOTE="Zeldaguy16"]

Ownsin

1.Yes it might be hard if your not really into it and arabic is one of the hardest langauges to learn so its going to be hard but it will be usefull.

2. Well there are books you can buy that will make you better at it so yes i recommend you to buy books as well.

3. Its kinda hard at first actually really hard but after getting used to the letters and words it'll become easier in time, yet again il say it if you want to learn arabic you need to be into it if you know what i mean.

and yes im arabic but may i ask where are you from and whats your age?, thank you for reading.

I'm live in Minnesota, in the United States/America, and I'm 16.

Zeldaguy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zeldaguy16

It depends whether you are learning contemporary Arabic or Qur'anic Arabic, as the two are quick similiar. The former is easier due to the wealth of classes, while the latter is tougher since it's harder to find educational material surrounding it in the west.

I'm actually learning Arabic from www.sunnipath.com. Note, that their ciriculum is specifically geared for Qur'anic understanding. The teachers are wonderful, and it costs me something like $150 a class since I am a student. Of course, you can find software that attempts to teach the language, however I find live teachers to be much more helpful. Plus, as far as I know, they are the most best source in the United States at the moment, aside from Zaytuna Institute in California.

rimnet00

I'm guessing it's contemporary Arabic since it's taught at our public high school.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
[QUOTE="rimnet00"]

Zeldaguy16

I'm guessing it's contemporary Arabic since it's taught at our public high school.

Oh snap, they teach Arabic at your public school!? I'm very jealous!

Zeldaguy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zeldaguy16
[QUOTE="Zeldaguy16"][QUOTE="rimnet00"]

rimnet00

Oh snap, they teach Arabic at your public school!? I'm very jealous!

Yeah, it's going to be their first year teaching it next year. So I registered for it. People are criticizing the school district for oing it though, which I don't think is right. People who associate Terrorism with the Arabic Language are just dumb, and I don't like it. It's wrong of people to stereo-type things that aren't related.

Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
Any new language can be hard try with the alphabetand go on form there with simple to bigger words, also it's right to left for reading.