Aquaman > Captain Marvel

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for ProtossRushX
#1 Posted by ProtossRushX (4703 posts) -

The Captain Marvel trailers have all been trash and im not hyped but this aquaman one was great

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#2 Posted by madrocketeer (5882 posts) -

Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman trailers were also pretty cool. Then, "Martha!!!"

Marvel have proved that they can make a competent movie, WB and DC have not, Wonder Woman aside. As someone who grew up on DC comics, it's a situation that still pains me. I expect, with confidence, Captain Marvel to be at least half-decent. I am merely hoping Aquaman and Shazam will be watchable.

Avatar image for davillain-
#3 Edited by DaVillain- (32945 posts) -

I'm actually excited for Aquaman myself. This trailer felt like legendary with that music. Atlantis looks visually stunning, and the semi-neo-sci-fi semi-Ancient Greece costume design is awesome. I hope this movie delivers!

Also, U.S. Amazon Prime members can go see Aquaman early on December 15 and not wait for December 21. I have Amazon Prime, so I'll try to go see it early if I can.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#4 Posted by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

Dolph Lundgren appears to have temporarily gotten out of straight of dvd.

Good for him, underrated actor. Very intelligent guy as well.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#5 Posted by Serraph105 (32947 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:

Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman trailers were also pretty cool. Then, "Martha!!!"

Marvel have proved that they can make a competent movie, WB and DC have not, Wonder Woman aside. As someone who grew up on DC comics, it's a situation that still pains me. I expect, with confidence, Captain Marvel to be at least half-decent. I am merely hoping Aquaman and Shazam will be watchable.

Pretty much this^

Marvel has earned my trust to the point where they can throw in a talking raccoon, a guy who's power is shrinking, or a group of characters I have never heard of before, and I will still go see it in theaters.

DC, on the other hand, dropped the ball with characters like Batman and Superman, and even the Joker to a large extent. Shit is going wrong when you can't put out a halfway decent movie with the biggest name characters your company owns. And it's been 5 full, going on 6, years since they debuted with Man of Steel. They always promise that the next one will be better, but it's past time that they started delivering on that promise. They just don't have my trust the way Marvel does.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#6 Posted by sakaiXx (4185 posts) -

Aquaman trailers can be toned down. I mean its really damn cool but they really needs to save it for the cinema.

Avatar image for Byshop
#7 Posted by Byshop (19175 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@madrocketeer said:

Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman trailers were also pretty cool. Then, "Martha!!!"

Marvel have proved that they can make a competent movie, WB and DC have not, Wonder Woman aside. As someone who grew up on DC comics, it's a situation that still pains me. I expect, with confidence, Captain Marvel to be at least half-decent. I am merely hoping Aquaman and Shazam will be watchable.

Pretty much this^

Marvel has earned my trust to the point where they can throw in a talking raccoon, a guy who's power is shrinking, or a group of characters I have never heard of before, and I will still go see it in theaters.

DC, on the other hand, dropped the ball with characters like Batman and Superman, and even the Joker to a large extent. Shit is going wrong when you can't put out a halfway decent movie with the biggest name characters your company owns. And it's been 5 full, going on 6, years since they debuted with Man of Steel. They always promise that the next one will be better, but it's past time that they started delivering on that promise. They just don't have my trust the way Marvel does.

The Aquaman trailers were full of spectacle and CGI but as every DC film to date has shown that doesn't necessarily make a good movie. I used to watch Stargate Atlantis so I've liked Momoa for a long time before GoT even, but I'm not terribly optimistic about this film. I don't know very much about Captain Marvel (Marvel's Captain Marvel, not DC's Captain Marvel AKA Shazam), but most people didn't know -anything- about the GotG and look how good that turned out.

-Byshop

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#8 Posted by LJS9502_basic (165417 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:

Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman trailers were also pretty cool. Then, "Martha!!!"

Marvel have proved that they can make a competent movie, WB and DC have not, Wonder Woman aside. As someone who grew up on DC comics, it's a situation that still pains me. I expect, with confidence, Captain Marvel to be at least half-decent. I am merely hoping Aquaman and Shazam will be watchable.

Batman V Superman was fine. Also the Martha whining is ridiculous. It had a purpose. It served it's purpose. Marvel movies play well as loud popcorn movies but have little substance for repeat viewings.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#9 Posted by Serraph105 (32947 posts) -

@Byshop: I'll admit that the use of vibrant colors in the Aquaman trailer does make me a bit hopeful for the movie. It makes me think it may be more fun than the other films, but ultimately it will come down to the characters, story, and dialogue in the movie, not just the visuals.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#10 Posted by LJS9502_basic (165417 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

@Byshop: I'll admit that the use of vibrant colors in the Aquaman trailer does make me a bit hopeful for the movie. It makes me think it may be more fun than the other films, but ultimately it will come down to the characters, story, and dialogue in the movie, not just the visuals.

Aquaman was great in the Justice League.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#11 Posted by Serraph105 (32947 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:

@Byshop: I'll admit that the use of vibrant colors in the Aquaman trailer does make me a bit hopeful for the movie. It makes me think it may be more fun than the other films, but ultimately it will come down to the characters, story, and dialogue in the movie, not just the visuals.

Aquaman was great in the Justice League.

Yeah.....JL kind of looked bad and that was my breaking point with DC so I never actually saw it. I was just done giving them my money based on their promise that the next one would be better.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (165417 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:

@Byshop: I'll admit that the use of vibrant colors in the Aquaman trailer does make me a bit hopeful for the movie. It makes me think it may be more fun than the other films, but ultimately it will come down to the characters, story, and dialogue in the movie, not just the visuals.

Aquaman was great in the Justice League.

Yeah.....JL kind of looked bad and that was my breaking point with DC so I never actually saw it. I was just done giving them my money based on their promise that the next one would be better.

It was okay. I liked it better than Ragnarok which was one big joke fest.

Avatar image for theone86
#13 Posted by theone86 (22305 posts) -

Aquaman trailer was amazing and I'm really looking forward to it. That being said, I'm still really looking forward to Captain Marvel. I think Aquaman is going for more of an epic film, whereas Captain Marvel is looking to set a different tone.

Avatar image for speeny
#14 Posted by Speeny (593 posts) -

Yeah, I have a feeling Aquaman is going to be very successful. I haven't been keeping up with DC stuff myself, but...the trailer looked great enough. Captain Marvel looks good too. But the Aquaman trailer really stood out for me.

Avatar image for horgen
#15 Posted by Horgen (118724 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:

@Byshop: I'll admit that the use of vibrant colors in the Aquaman trailer does make me a bit hopeful for the movie. It makes me think it may be more fun than the other films, but ultimately it will come down to the characters, story, and dialogue in the movie, not just the visuals.

Aquaman was great in the Justice League.

Yeah.....JL kind of looked bad and that was my breaking point with DC so I never actually saw it. I was just done giving them my money based on their promise that the next one would be better.

It was okay. I liked it better than Ragnarok which was one big joke fest.

I loved Ragnarok because of just that.

I'll see these next movies from DC. If it will be in cinema I don't know.

Avatar image for crimsonbrute
#16 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25229 posts) -

They are both look like trash. Aquaman is at the level of crap as expected from DC but Captain Marvel...

Avatar image for heathen75
#17 Posted by HEATHEN75 (490 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Dolph Lundgren appears to have temporarily gotten out of straight of dvd.

Good for him, underrated actor. Very intelligent guy as well.

The man has a masters in chemical engineering. I remember reading that somewhere about 15 years ago. Always stuck with me.

Avatar image for crimsonllama
#18 Edited by Crimsonllama (238 posts) -

@heathen75: all I can think is:

Then I shall show you the secrets of the molecular universe.

Avatar image for heathen75
#19 Posted by HEATHEN75 (490 posts) -

@crimsonllama: Right. Just once, I'd like to see him in a roll that showcases his knowledge. He could still be a badass but lets see that big brain too.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#20 Edited by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

@heathen75 said:

@crimsonllama: Right. Just once, I'd like to see him in a roll that showcases his knowledge. He could still be a badass but lets see that big brain too.

The problem is, while he's intelligent, he sounds like a dumb-dumb and sort of looks like one, and came during the 80's and early 90's when his breakout role was a style over substance action movie which type-cast him and led to the god-awful He-Man movie where he was specifically blamed for it's failure. Which is ironic as the followup to Rocky IV, Creed 2 is probably going to be his most "acting" in a straight character role.

Apparenty he was pretty decnet

Avatar image for jaydan
#21 Posted by jaydan (1653 posts) -

That's what I consider some desperate reach from a DC fanboy to spell doom over a Marvel movie that's not even out for a handful of more months.

I hope that Aquaman does well, I hope DC finally pulls their heads out of their asses and finally make competent movies again and I welcome a shared-universe among DC just as well as Marvel.

The main difference I see as of now, however, is Marvel has long-proven their quality and worth in the shared-universe concept with consistent movie releases that also have quality to back them up. DC has mostly released shit. The only reason why the DC movies remain relevant at all and the only reason why people continually dissect these ash piles is because of the fact there's DC characters in these movies at all. If these movies had different IP's attached to them then they would have been abandoned long ago.

I do hope DC makes a great turnaround, but your desperation to dwindle what is already a proven success is also quite clear.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#22 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:

Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman trailers were also pretty cool. Then, "Martha!!!"

Marvel have proved that they can make a competent movie, WB and DC have not, Wonder Woman aside. As someone who grew up on DC comics, it's a situation that still pains me. I expect, with confidence, Captain Marvel to be at least half-decent. I am merely hoping Aquaman and Shazam will be watchable.

And DC has proved they can make competent tv shows while Marvel has pretty much failed their shows.

But WB has not failed that much, their DC movies have still made close to and over 800mill for them all.

Anyways i do agree DC should stick to tv shows except "Supergirl" which is horrid and leave the movies to marvel.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#23 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42343 posts) -

I hope for a good DC movie these days but so far I am generally disappointed. I'm dying hyping it.

As for the Marvel comparisons, just stop, OK? DC has to first compete and win against themselves before they can even dream of competing with Marvel. DC movies don't suck because Marvel is awesome; DC movies suck because of their own choices.

@uninspiredcup said:

Dolph Lundgren appears to have temporarily gotten out of straight of dvd.

Good for him, underrated actor. Very intelligent guy as well.

Double degree holder, yes? I think he went to MIT as well. He seems like a nice guy, too.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#24 Posted by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

I hope for a good DC movie these days but so far I am generally disappointed. I'm dying hyping it.

As for the Marvel comparisons, just stop, OK? DC has to first compete and win against themselves before they can even dream of competing with Marvel. DC movies don't suck because Marvel is awesome; DC movies suck because of their own choices.

@uninspiredcup said:

Dolph Lundgren appears to have temporarily gotten out of straight of dvd.

Good for him, underrated actor. Very intelligent guy as well.

Double degree holder, yes? I think he went to MIT as well. He seems like a nice guy, too.

Actually, he does not hold any degrees, he got snatched up by Grace Jones before he got a chance to use his free Fullbright ride at MIT.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#25 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42343 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I hope for a good DC movie these days but so far I am generally disappointed. I'm dying hyping it.

As for the Marvel comparisons, just stop, OK? DC has to first compete and win against themselves before they can even dream of competing with Marvel. DC movies don't suck because Marvel is awesome; DC movies suck because of their own choices.

@uninspiredcup said:

Dolph Lundgren appears to have temporarily gotten out of straight of dvd.

Good for him, underrated actor. Very intelligent guy as well.

Double degree holder, yes? I think he went to MIT as well. He seems like a nice guy, too.

Actually, he does not hold any degrees, he got snatched up by Grace Jones before he got a chance to use his free Fullbright ride at MIT.

I think you mean she grabbed and took him?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#26 Edited by Jacanuk (17003 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I hope for a good DC movie these days but so far I am generally disappointed. I'm dying hyping it.

As for the Marvel comparisons, just stop, OK? DC has to first compete and win against themselves before they can even dream of competing with Marvel. DC movies don't suck because Marvel is awesome; DC movies suck because of their own choices.

@uninspiredcup said:

Dolph Lundgren appears to have temporarily gotten out of straight of dvd.

Good for him, underrated actor. Very intelligent guy as well.

Double degree holder, yes? I think he went to MIT as well. He seems like a nice guy, too.

Actually, he does not hold any degrees, he got snatched up by Grace Jones before he got a chance to use his free Fullbright ride at MIT.

I think you mean she grabbed and took him?

Loading Video...

LOL yup thanks for the correction :D

Which would explain he turned down a free ride on MIT.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

Surviving Grace Jones is more impressive than any degree.

Avatar image for heathen75
#28 Posted by HEATHEN75 (490 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Surviving Grace Jones is more impressive than any degree.

I can't disagree.

Avatar image for lordlobster
#29 Edited by LordLobster (187 posts) -

It will be hilarious if Aquaman of all characters ends up being DC's dark horse.

Avatar image for mirgamer
#30 Edited by mirgamer (2478 posts) -

The actor alone has superior charisma than that emotionless NPC starring as Captain Marvel.

People want a likeable relatable superhero, not someone I'm too badass to even smile.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#31 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78796 posts) -

I don't care how great the movie turns out to be. I've always disliked that character.

Avatar image for Byshop
#32 Posted by Byshop (19175 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:

I don't care how great the movie turns out to be. I've always disliked that character.

I was never big on Entourage but that was actually a joke from the show. Superhero movies were just starting to become popular in that show's early run so the fictional movie star Vincent lands the role of Aquaman, which at the time was funny because the idea of an Aquaman superhero movie of all things seemed so ridiculous...

@Serraph105 said:

@Byshop: I'll admit that the use of vibrant colors in the Aquaman trailer does make me a bit hopeful for the movie. It makes me think it may be more fun than the other films, but ultimately it will come down to the characters, story, and dialogue in the movie, not just the visuals.

My concern there is that all the CGI starts to make the film look cartoonish. Still, anything other than the movie equivalent of military FPS video game graphics is an improvement over what DC usually does.

@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:

Yeah.....JL kind of looked bad and that was my breaking point with DC so I never actually saw it. I was just done giving them my money based on their promise that the next one would be better.

It was okay. I liked it better than Ragnarok which was one big joke fest.

I loved Ragnarok because of just that.

I'll see these next movies from DC. If it will be in cinema I don't know.

I loved Ragnarok, but it was a lot more of a comedy than I was expecting, even knowing it from from Taika Waititi. What We Do In The Shadows was awesome.

-Byshop

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#33 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78796 posts) -
@Byshop said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

I don't care how great the movie turns out to be. I've always disliked that character.

I was never big on Entourage but that was actually a joke from the show. Superhero movies were just starting to become popular in that show's early run so the fictional movie star Vincent lands the role of Aquaman, which at the time was funny because the idea of an Aquaman superhero movie of all things seemed so ridiculous...

I will admit that my bias against Aquaman is a bit unreasonable, and it's largely in place because of how the old character looked. He was just so ridiculous. But then I got to thinking, that's kinda how Batman looked in the 60, ridiculous tights and whatnot, and the character has evolved over time. I did actually like Aquaman a bit in Justice League, because he seemed more real, so who knows? If the scrip is great, maybe Aquaman will be great as well. But, it is a DC movie and their track record has been awful so I'm not holding out hope. Also, I I just can't stop thinking that Aquaman should be a Mega Man villain...

Avatar image for Byshop
#34 Posted by Byshop (19175 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Byshop said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

I don't care how great the movie turns out to be. I've always disliked that character.

I was never big on Entourage but that was actually a joke from the show. Superhero movies were just starting to become popular in that show's early run so the fictional movie star Vincent lands the role of Aquaman, which at the time was funny because the idea of an Aquaman superhero movie of all things seemed so ridiculous...

I will admit that my bias against Aquaman is a bit unreasonable, and it's largely in place because of how the old character looked. He was just so ridiculous. But then I got to thinking, that's kinda how Batman looked in the 60, ridiculous tights and whatnot, and the character has evolved over time. I did actually like Aquaman a bit in Justice League, because he seemed more real, so who knows? If the scrip is great, maybe Aquaman will be great as well. But, it is a DC movie and their track record has been awful so I'm not holding out hope. Also, I I just can't stop thinking that Aquaman should be a Mega Man villain...

Dude, it's Aquaman. You're absolutely allowed to hate that character.

Loading Video...

-Byshop

Avatar image for sonicare
#35 Posted by sonicare (56275 posts) -

If the aquaman we saw in justice league is any indicator, it's going to be a shit show.

Avatar image for ridgett_b
#36 Posted by Ridgett_B (15 posts) -

Look surprisingly good on tv

Avatar image for AFBrat77
#37 Edited by AFBrat77 (26636 posts) -

I will wait until after they are released to make that assessment, but I would still be surprised if DC made the better movie. Still, Mamoa could make Aquaman interesting.

Avatar image for hallenbeck77
#38 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15553 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

I will wait until after they are released to make that assessment, but I would still be surprised if DC made the better movie. Still, Mamoa could make Aquaman interesting.

Wish I could say the same for Mamoa. He has the good looks, but no charisma or screen presence whatsoever. I keep forgetting that he was in Justice League. Aquaman looks decent enough, but that's in spite of its lead, not because of him.

Avatar image for vfighter
#39 Posted by VFighter (4023 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: No screen presence? Are you high?

Avatar image for hallenbeck77
#40 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15553 posts) -
@vfighter said:

No screen presence? Are you high?

I seen him in both Conan and Justice League, but I cannot for the life of me remember what he did in either movie. He definitely has the looks to be an action star, but there's something about him that's forgettable. I know his other big role was in Game of Thrones, but that show just never caught my interest (not because of him, I never just got into the show).

Avatar image for AFBrat77
#41 Edited by AFBrat77 (26636 posts) -

@hallenbeck77:

Honestly, I had never seen him in anything besides Game of Thrones. I thought he was entertaining enough there, even if he mostly was just spouting orders in DothrakI and having his way with Danaerys.

I would never see Conan again after the Schwarzeneggar movies ruined him for those of us who enjoyed Robert E. Howard books and Marvel's "Savage Sword of Conan" magazines as kids. It's a shame, Arnold had the perfect look. No doubt those movies are looked at as fun B movies these days though.

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
#42 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4472 posts) -

I agree with the OP in that the Captain Marvel trailers have been shite so far. Hopefully there shall be some improvements.

Avatar image for neoniq
#43 Posted by NeOniq (3 posts) -

Waiting for these movies...

Avatar image for ridgett_b
#44 Posted by Ridgett_B (15 posts) -

Ah the movie day

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#45 Posted by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

@DEVILinIRON said:

I agree with the OP in that the Captain Marvel trailers have been shite so far. Hopefully there shall be some improvements.

After the terrible Dredd trailers I try not to judge a movie by them.

Heck, Infinity War looked like another generic muscle man trying to take over the universe.

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
#46 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4472 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I hope it's good. Will probably see it.

Avatar image for sonicare
#47 Posted by sonicare (56275 posts) -

@AFBrat77 said:

@hallenbeck77:

Honestly, I had never seen him in anything besides Game of Thrones. I thought he was entertaining enough there, even if he mostly was just spouting orders in DothrakI and having his way with Danaerys.

I would never see Conan again after the Schwarzeneggar movies ruined him for those of us who enjoyed Robert E. Howard books and Marvel's "Savage Sword of Conan" magazines as kids. It's a shame, Arnold had the perfect look. No doubt those movies are looked at as fun B movies these days though.

I liked the first conan movie. A little cheesy, but it was the time. But the sequel was definitely B-grade material.

Avatar image for AFBrat77
#48 Posted by AFBrat77 (26636 posts) -

@sonicare:

I just remember Conan (Arnold) punched a camel or mule or something, it elicited a simultaneous face palm and unstoppable laughter. Geez I'm getting old, saw that movie at the theatre in the day.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#49 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2331 posts) -

Brie Larson is terrible. But at least Marvel has proven they can make great movies .

Avatar image for hallenbeck77
#50 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15553 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

@sonicare:

I just remember Conan (Arnold) punched a camel or mule or something, it elicited a simultaneous face palm and unstoppable laughter. Geez I'm getting old, saw that movie at the theatre in the day.

Conan the Barbarian (1982) is evergreen to me. The sequel was a misfire due to the PG rating, but the monsters were solid and it's still watchable.

The 2011 version...saw it but don't remember any of it. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.