Apple is officially killing iTunes.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#1 Edited by Master_Live (19456 posts) -

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/6/3/18651129/apple-itunes-conference-podcasts-music-apps

An excerpt:

At its annual developer’s conference today, Apple confirmed reports that it will break iTunes up into three separate apps: Apple Music, Podcasts, and Apple TV.

The news is not super surprising. These separate apps have already existed on iOS for a long time, with the iTunes Store reserved as a weird desktop-only clunker. iTunes has been a running joke for years — messy, confusing, and full of too many features that don’t have obvious uses in most people’s lives.

Perhaps the most thrilling thing about this change is that iTunes will no longer pop up immediately when you plug an iPhone into your computer to charge it. “Now when you plug in your phone, this is what you see,” Federighi shouted, pointed at a blank desktop. “Nothing!” (You can still sync music or photos from phone to desktop, but this feature has been moved to the sidebar in Finder.)

This change should have little to no effect on the average consumer — assuming you haven’t spent the past several years battling iTunes’ incomprehensibility to create meticulous filing systems for your downloaded music. just for us but for the richest tech company in the world. Now audience members at Apple events have to cheer for stuff like a new tip calculator on the Apple Watch.

About 6 months ago I finished transitioning all my music and playlists from iTunes to MusiBee (via a short stop at MediaMonkey). So whatever headache might result from this I won't suffer. I still use iTunes for my podcasts which I guess now I will transfer to this new Apple podcasts app.

What about you OT? Is this something or nothing for you?

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#2 Posted by madrocketeer (6588 posts) -

I don't use an iPhone, so this means nothing to me. The last time I gave iTunes a go, my general impression was of "bloated piece of crap."

Online content distribution has changed drastically since iTunes became a thing. I'd say Apple have made the right move.

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
#3 Posted by ProtossRushX (5319 posts) -

WTF? I just bought a macbook air and was looking to get into movies on itunes :|

Avatar image for npiet1
#4 Posted by npiet1 (2227 posts) -

So what happens with all the purchases?

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#5 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43906 posts) -

Glad I use Spotify.

Apple is a joke, no wonder people think PC's cost too much.

@npiet1 said:

So what happens with all the purchases?

No doubt Apple has a plan in place; I imagine they don't want to incur a class-action lawsuit from a few million people.

Avatar image for davillain-
#6 Posted by DaVillain- (36401 posts) -

Android FTW.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#7 Posted by lamprey263 (36106 posts) -

I started building iTunes catalog about 13 years ago, downloaded my first 3 songs. A day later I went looking for them when they mysteriously disappeared from my drive. I Google'd it and this happened to others, except they lost hundreds or thousands of songs, and this was back in days when purchasing song entitled you to just one download. I contacted customer support who said I need to repurchase them. I fought with them and we reached resolution but by that point I just said F it, not doing iTunes.

Avatar image for speeny
#8 Posted by Speeny (1614 posts) -

I used to use Itunes to transfer my DVD & Blu-ray movies onto my Ipad. Luckily, I've found a great app that is so much easier to use for that process. I always had plenty of issues with Itunes anyway. Did I use it for anything else? Nope.

Avatar image for npiet1
#9 Posted by npiet1 (2227 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: yeah depending on what kind of media it transfers to the corresponding app.

Avatar image for Ring_of_fire
#10 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15769 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Glad I use Spotify.

Apple is a joke, no wonder people think PC's cost too much.

@npiet1 said:

So what happens with all the purchases?

No doubt Apple has a plan in place; I imagine they don't want to incur a class-action lawsuit from a few million people.

I imagine there's something in the Terms of Service that states that the user doesn't actually "own" the purchase

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (97883 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:

WTF? I just bought a macbook air and was looking to get into movies on itunes :|

Your first problem was buying an Apple product and expecting a positive experience.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#12 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43906 posts) -

@Ring_of_fire said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Glad I use Spotify.

Apple is a joke, no wonder people think PC's cost too much.

@npiet1 said:

So what happens with all the purchases?

No doubt Apple has a plan in place; I imagine they don't want to incur a class-action lawsuit from a few million people.

I imagine there's something in the Terms of Service that states that the user doesn't actually "own" the purchase

literally everything that pertains to an IP says that, though, even if you have a hard copy. You still bought and paid for the right to use that IP, however.

Avatar image for shellcase86
#13 Posted by shellcase86 (4391 posts) -

No impact on me. I own an ipod, and my kids have ipads, but I don't use Apple products generally.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#14 Posted by Archangel3371 (27874 posts) -

I still buy my music on cds. 🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for Master_Live
#15 Posted by Master_Live (19456 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

I still buy my music on cds. 🤷‍♂️

Old school baby!

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#16 Posted by Archangel3371 (27874 posts) -

@Master_Live: Most definitely. 😁

Avatar image for Ovirew
#17 Posted by Ovirew (8976 posts) -

It's a little disappointing, but I guess it comes at the right time. I just downloaded the iTunes app to my PC and started installing my CDs onto it, but now maybe I'll think about changing my music program.

Avatar image for brimmul777
#18 Posted by brimmul777 (4051 posts) -

I have over 3,400+ songs on iTunes/iPod,witch most are purchased through Apple iTunes,will their be another device that will be used other then an iPod? Can I still be able to download songs through Apple on something on the style of a Apple iTunes or will it be a completely different? I have to be honest,I am a little concerned,I cherish my songs.

Avatar image for SOedipus
#19 Posted by SOedipus (11442 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:

WTF? I just bought a macbook air and was looking to get into movies on itunes :|

@npiet1 said:

So what happens with all the purchases?

@Ovirew said:

It's a little disappointing, but I guess it comes at the right time. I just downloaded the iTunes app to my PC and started installing my CDs onto it, but now maybe I'll think about changing my music program.

@brimmul777 said:

I have over 3,400+ songs on iTunes/iPod,witch most are purchased through Apple iTunes,will their be another device that will be used other then an iPod? Can I still be able to download songs through Apple on something on the style of a Apple iTunes or will it be a completely different? I have to be honest,I am a little concerned,I cherish my songs.

Read the article. If you have a Mac, iTunes will divide into 3 different services, one of which is Apple Music (Apple TV for you Protoss). You can buy and download music from there, and your library from iTunes will transfer over.

If you have a PC, nothing changes for you.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#20 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79311 posts) -

I've never bought music through iTunes. I've only used it to transfer CDs into my iPod. Provided that still works, I don't care.

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#21 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19940 posts) -

Apple is trash. That's what I think.