Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Long post sorry Short title though.

I thought living in Semi-detached was bad but been living in a apartment for last month and is a lot worse. I dont mind noise in day as long as it quiet between 23:00 and 8:00AM as it states in rule book. I moved in on September 17th and that first Saturday 22nd was just horrendous. People above me had a party which sounded like a rave and banging constantly on floor and walls making mine vibrate. I called my parents over who only live round the corner saying that there is a rave on above me and swearing screaming banging. They didn't believe me until they came round and said OMG. This was at 22:30PM so not too late but one neighbour from my floor 10mins after my parents came went up. All he got back was verbal abuse and threats. That night I stopped back at my parents house. He is constantly bangs and stopped back there twice in a month because of it.

I also heard them having sex twice which doesnt sound pleasant with head board banging on my wall at 1:50AM and continued to bang just for sake of it until 3AM. Also here heavy foot steps above like doing it on purpose and at this point ive not gone round to see them my self. I checked my neighbours and ask is it normal to here up stairs as I here mine all time. They said no its not its quiet on ours but do here them. Yesterday I went up as got really fed up about it and just asked if they would keep it down past 23:00 as all I can here is banging. He looked confused and started yelling at me saying you just cant come up accusing me its not me. He then slammed the door shut and said. F off you little Fing Git. Sounds like he got problems. :D

Only thing I can do is complain to manager of the builder as my parents own the apartment but there is a manager who looks after and any complaints go to them. The thing is though if you make a complaint then its down on record and when come to sell it, it be on there. My parents though asked every one on my floor if I do go to manager will you back me up. Every one agreed that they would. Dont no what to do though for best.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I just moved into a condo, so I feel for ya. Sounds good having all the neighbors complain. Every time there have been loud neighbors having sex I feel like moaning loudly along with them, just to see what happens. lol

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By skipper847

@DEVILinIRON: @DEVILinIRON: Never been to prison but I guess this is what it like on a night in a cell. lol

When talking to him though he seems like a nice person the way he talks but then lied and just flipped out. Seems to have a decent job too. Be for slamming door shut though his face just changed and thought he was going to hit me or something that was worst part.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I have lived in apts and condos for 25 years and rarely ever have I had these problems.

low rent districts maybe?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By skipper847

@tryit: No it just one person that spoils it for rest and think there entitled to everything. I pay £525 a month and apartment cost £88,000 5 years ago and worth £112,000 now if selling. Some people own theres and live there like next door to me but my parents bought it to rent it out and for last 5 years they have and I moved in 1 month ago renting. It depends who rents the apartment and I bet they been moved out of others in past above me. I get along with every one on my floor and in passing and say hello to every one else. There is a ground level and 3 others and I'm second from top and hes on top floor which all up there are same age as him and no all each other. I have like a mini balcony and was sitting on chair watching TV and while looking out he was on car park and I waved as he saw me but didn't even bother to wave. There are only 12 apartments too in this block.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TryIt

@skipper847 said:

@tryit: No it just one person that spoils it for rest and think there entitled to everything. I pay £525 a month and apartment cost £88,000 5 years ago and worth £112,000 now if selling. It depends who rents the apartment and I bet they been moved out of others in past above me. I get along with every one on my floor and in passing and say hello to every one else. There is a ground level and 3 others and I'm second from top and hes on top floor which all up there are same age as him and no all each other.

ok, so why in 25 years of living in condos and apts is it that I have had noise problems only once?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

hah, timely thread, I live in a condo and I just endured a night of misc. thumping and banging above me after a few weeks of increasing noise and i'm planning on calling the building manager to complain once she starts her shift.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TryIt

@with_teeth26 said:

hah, timely thread, I live in a condo and I just endured a night of misc. thumping and banging above me after a few weeks of increasing noise and i'm planning on calling the building manager to complain once she starts her shift.

I have lived in apartments and condos for 25 years and I can only think of 2 cases of noise and 2 cases of security concerns.

my friend who lived in condo when he got out of college had hella noise within his first year and maintained a view that all condos were unacceptable noise gardens all his life.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 with_teeth26
@tryit said:
@with_teeth26 said:

I have lived in apartments and condos for 25 years and I can only think of 2 cases of noise and 2 cases of security concerns.

my friend who lived in condo when he got out of college had hella noise within his first year and maintained a view that all condos were unacceptable noise gardens all his life.

yea for some context i've lived in my current condo for about 3.5 years and this is the first time its been an issue

sucks when it happens though

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By skipper847

@tryit: The last renters was here 2 years and my parents got to no them well and they said how quiet it was. They said late July they moved in above and it did get noisier especially when his girlfriend was there and he had people round. They moved due to having a baby and didn't want to carry it up 2 big flight of stairs every day but I bet it does have something to do with them above as well. I dont want to cause noise but some times I have to turn Sound up on TV to drown it out. I dont have speakers on due to sound been too loud and I dont want to be the one causing any trouble. Baby was crying earlier this evening yes he has a baby too but think there split up. Any way it was crying earlier and all she shouted at the baby was. SHUT UP YOUR GETTING LIKE YOUR DAD. I was like. He will end up like him talking like that its a baby and dont no any different unlike him.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skipper847

They are banging now upstairs which I dont mind as its only 18:50 at the moment but its the same exact bangs they do even if its 3AM. I just dont no what they are banging at and denying I cant believe it and at night when everything is so quiet it travles.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 with_teeth26
@skipper847 said:

They are banging now upstairs which I dont mind as its only 18:50 at the moment but its the same exact bangs they do even if its 3AM. I just dont no what they are banging at and denying I cant believe it and at night when everything is so quiet it travles.

for my case I decided to write a anonymous note and slide it under the door of the people above me asking them to keep it down

if that fails i'll contact building management

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I have had this issue since I was 14 years old. I live in a semi-detached shop, and my next door neighbour, who used to live in the flat upstairs was an absolute fucking retard. On weekdays and weekends, he would put loud music and partying or have sex between the hours of 2am till 6am. My parents tried calling the police, but they did nothing. I had to endure this for the next 2 years of my secondary school. It wrecked my sleeping and education. Luckily he moved out by the time I was in year 11.

My next neighbour was a hippie who kept playing his trumpet, keyboard and playing music in the hours of 12am to 6am. Once again, it damaged my sleeping and work-life and endured it whenever I came home from uni and when I started working. And my local council was shit, they did jack all to fix my problem, so I moved out.

Here's my advice, contact your local council and you have to keep a 2-week diary of the noises your neighbour makes. Once you have sufficient evidence, your council can take action and fine your neighbour. There is a drawback to this, it's a very long process which can take up to a month to 3 months. If that doesn't work, move out. Which I strongly advise as I don't want you to be scarred or become sensitive to noise like I have.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By skipper847

@omegamaster: Too late for that as that why I moved out in first place. I use to live with my parents and they go to bed at different times and get up disturbing me so wanted my own place so can go when I want. Now its 23:32 still up and banging and heavy walking round apartment. If I went up now all I would get is abuse so I look every now and then to see if there light off as I open door and look up and if light off I go to bed now. Ive not slept for 5 years due to noise and thought this was going to be my chance but thought wrong. Also just now they just dropped something on the floor and made a right bang as typing this. My dad says it sounds as if they have no underlay down that why it sounding bad. In the rule book as well your meant to have certain type of carpet which he not got by sound of it.

The only thing is ive only been here a month and just got all adress changed and even got new internet. Even though you can take it with you if I move back with my parents who are less noisy then that a waste of money. They where away for 2 nights 3 last week and slept like a log. I had 9 hour both night but soon as they came back to 5 at most. He had to tell every one in building he was back by yelling IM BACK. Hes just a DICK.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

A couple of thoughts from an apartment veteran:

1. The parties sound legitimately bad, and I don't know what to do about it. Step one is usually ask nicely, step two is to go to the landlord, step three is call the cops. In the states they can't do anything about it except ask slightly less nicely than you for them to turn it down, and landlords will find ways to punish you for calling the cops because they get fined if it happens too much (it even increases the likelihood of you being evicted). After those three have been exhausted, the only solution I can think of is to move. The good news is that in my experience that sort of thing is pretty rare. Oh, don't do anything passive aggressive. My downstairs neighbors did that to my upstairs neighbors once and it resulted in flaming toilet paper being thrown onto porches.
  2. You actually sound like you have some sort of extra sensitivity to noise. I've been in places where I thought the people above me were stomping on purpose, and it was never true. Sometimes people just have a heavy gait, sometimes they are heavy, sometimes both. I would suggest seeing a shrink about it. They can help you to interpret what's going on and figure out a healthy way to deal with it. Unlike the parties heavy walking is pretty common, so unless you want to find a top floor apartment get used to it.
  3. About the sex, that is very common and there's even less to do about it. My advice is go to a different room, put on something to drown it out, head out when they start doing it, or just get used to it. If it's constant then you can GENTLY ask them if there's some way to figure out a schedule so you don't have to be around while they're getting busy, but it doesn't sound like they're too keen on compromising. Just remember, though, that this is a really sensitive subject and people don't generally like letting strangers be a part of it, even if it's only to schedule time so that they can have privacy. My current next door neighbor, actually, has had a problem with his downstairs neighbor pounding on his door and/or calling the cops every time he's having sex with his girlfriend. The neighbor is ALWAYS home, though, so there's no scheduling around it, and he's a pervy old man who seems to be more frustrated that someone else is having sex while he's forever alone, so it leads to a lot of anger and frustration. Long story short, it gets hard to satisfy everyone in these situations.
@omegamaster said:

you have to keep a 2-week diary of the noises your neighbour makes.

That would be something to read.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@skipper847: Wow, sounds like an utter lunatic. I would stay away from them. They could get physical and you don't want that. Have you tried contacting the police whilst your neighbour is having a rave at the middle of the night? That might prompt the police to take action. Though I have never done that since I lacked the balls to do it.

You mentioned that people in your apartment will back you up if you report it to the building manager, you should go for it. It's not sustainable and fair for you to feel uncomfortable whilst your neighbour is cheeky.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Sounds just awful, I would go through whatever the proper channels are and if making an official complain to the building manager is the correct step so be it.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By skipper847

Thanks all and yes is a lunatic and the other day I did think he was going to hit me be for slamming door shut in my face and calling me names. I dont think he likes people standing up to him. Yes I am small 5"3 and if I was 6"5 body builder it would have been a different thing. No need to call me a little idiot.

theone86 The thing is my parents are the landlord and I tell them all the time but as said they dont want to complain if they dont have to as the complaint would have to be down in writing and that will have an effect on price of apartment if selling. I said why dont you two sleep here for 2 weeks and I sleep at yours and see how bad it is but they will not. I have been writing down I have 3 weeks of diary but stopped as its more or less the same and been happening from day 1.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Loved apartment life when I was younger, lots of people in your age group and we'd have these ragers in the courtyard and stuff, but I simply cannot imagine living in one right now. I need my quiet. I'm up at 5AM these days and asleep by 10PM at the latest.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

@tryit said:
@skipper847 said:

@tryit: No it just one person that spoils it for rest and think there entitled to everything. I pay £525 a month and apartment cost £88,000 5 years ago and worth £112,000 now if selling. It depends who rents the apartment and I bet they been moved out of others in past above me. I get along with every one on my floor and in passing and say hello to every one else. There is a ground level and 3 others and I'm second from top and hes on top floor which all up there are same age as him and no all each other.

ok, so why in 25 years of living in condos and apts is it that I have had noise problems only once?

Because you've been rather fortunate. Experiences vary.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TryIt

@shellcase86 said:
@tryit said:
@skipper847 said:

Because you've been rather fortunate. Experiences vary.

or maybe its the inverse?

or maybe what I suggested actually is true, maybe high rent areas do in fact have less noise? do you think that is possible?

25 years is a long time to have that much luck, I think statistically it would be impossible if everyone else is having problems on a fairly regular bases

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skipper847

Its 18:00PM just called my parents as noise is just started and made me jump twice with bangs. Asked them to come over which they just replied put TV on. I will but put my Logitech speakers on full blast and if I get a complaint I will just say ive put them on to drawn noise out up stairs.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TryIt

@skipper847 said:

Its 18:00PM just called my parents as noise is just started and made me jump twice with bangs. Asked them to come over which they just replied put TV on. I will but put my Logitech speakers on full blast and if I get a complaint I will just say ive put them on to drawn noise out up stairs.

that would be putting fuel on fire.

just call the cops.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skipper847

Might put on notice board on ground floor. Naming no names as dont no which apartments its coming from but could all be just that bit more considerate when making noise especially times between 23:00 and 09:00AM as stated in the rules thank you.