Anything exist outside the known universe?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
The universe is about 13.7 billion years old because the farthest light visible. Existence (complete universe) is infinite. While the known universe is a bubble in existence. My main point is the universe we know of 13.7 billion years old is not the final frontier. Do you believe there is existence which expands past the known universe?
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

The universe is about 13.7 billion years old because the farthest light visible. Existence (complete universe) is infinite. While the known universe is a bubble in existence.

My main point is the universe we know of 13.7 billion years old is not the final frontier. Do you believe there is existence which expands past the known universe?playmynutz

Thats an oxymoron
How can something be infinite but have a beginnning?
And on that point, how can you ask whether something is outside of an infinitely large object?

When you say known universe are you referring to the one we can see?
If thats the case, then yes, it's just that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, so we are losing more and more of the visible universe

However,
Time and space do not exist outside of the universe
So no, nothing exists

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

The unknown universe

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

1. The world is only 8000 years old, duh.
2. Probably not because God only created the Earth.

GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

Sure. Why not?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

no possible way of knowing for the foreseeable future, thanks to the Planck Wall.  Physics breaks down at that point and any speculation prior to the beginning of the visible universe is a waste until we get a better understanding of the physics prior to that or a better understand of why we have such a wall.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 konvikt_17

this actually seem impossible. i mean once we are able to observe it, it will be known, not unknown.

or some shit like that.

kinda like how tomorow doesnt really exist.

idk.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Probably.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Probably.

MakeMeaSammitch
Right
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

The universe is about 13.7 billion years old because the farthest light visible. Existence (complete universe) is infinite. While the known universe is a bubble in existence. My main point is the universe we know of 13.7 billion years old is not the final frontier. Do you believe there is existence which expands past the known universe?playmynutz

there has to be.

human comprehention can only reach so far in deep space.

classy name btw

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
By definition it would be impossible for us to know.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

The speed of light is only a limit on objects. It isn't a limit on the expansion of spacetime. According to the theory of inflation, the spacetime of the early universe expanded faster than the speed of light, and this expansion in a sense carried objects faster respective to each other than light. Technically the objects themselves didn't need to move at all (although they did)... they could be completely still in respect to their position in spacetime and yet those two objects would be gaining new distance with respect to each other. Therefore there could be parts of the universe which are not visible from our galaxy because they are carried faster than the speed of light respective to us by the expansion of spacetime, so that their light would never reach us.

However, even without the expansion of spacetime, I can see a scenario where this might be possible, although at least for now I have no idea if it ever happens. Since the limit is on the objects themselves, no one object can travel the speed of light. However, if two objects were moving away from each other at at least half the speed of light, with one of them exceeding half by an extremely small amount, then their combined speed respective to each other would be faster than the speed of light, and any light generated by those objects would never reach each other. That situation wouldn't necessarily be permanent though since one or both objects could for some reason be slowed down or change direction to effectively lower that total speed. As far as I know, it's not something that is known to occur right now anyway (at least not without the additional expansion of spacetime) as the fastest objects in the known universe seem to be rogue plannets going between 8000 and 9000 miles per second, and the amount of energy it takes for those two objects to actually travel that speed respective to spacetime would be immense and perhaps impossible to attain on just the objects themselves.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

if it is outside the 'known' universe how the hell would we know about it in the first place?

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

The speed of light is only a limit on objects. It isn't a limit on the expansion of spacetime. According to the theory of inflation, the spacetime of the early universe expanded faster than the speed of light, and this expansion in a sense carried objects faster respective to each other than light. Technically the objects themselves didn't need to move at all (although they did)... they could be completely still in respect to their position in spacetime and yet those two objects would be gaining new distance with respect to each other. Therefore there could be parts of the universe which are not visible from our galaxy because they are carried faster than the speed of light respective to us by the expansion of spacetime, so that their light would never reach us.

However, even without the expansion of spacetime, I can see a scenario where this might be possible, although at least for now I have no idea if it ever happens. Since the limit is on the objects themselves, no one object can travel the speed of light. However, if two objects were moving away from each other at at least half the speed of light, with one of them exceeding half by an extremely small amount, then their combined speed respective to each other would be faster than the speed of light, and any light generated by those objects would never reach each other. That situation wouldn't necessarily be permanent though since one or both objects could for some reason be slowed down or change direction to effectively lower that total speed. As far as I know, it's not something that is known to occur right now anyway (at least not without the additional expansion of spacetime) as the fastest objects in the known universe seem to be rogue plannets going between 8000 and 9000 miles per second, and the amount of energy it takes for those two objects to actually travel that speed respective to spacetime would be immense and perhaps impossible to attain on just the objects themselves.

m0zart
What is your major?
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 m0zart

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

Laihendi

What is your major?

Web searching. Majored in Google.

EDIT: Real answer, Computer Science.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

dunno

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

The unknown universe.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Space ends when it runs out of room.

It will always be spaceish. :P

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 m0zart

Space ends when it runs out of room.

It will always be spaceish. :P Gaming-Planet

Is that you 0rbs?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Sure there could be. I suppose it's possible that our big bang wasn't the only one to ever happen and in a sea of nothingness that could potentially be infinite there could be other points where matter and energy originated from and the two haven't quite, or may never, overlap. Obviously there's no proof of that but I don't really see why it's impossible and since we're just speculating, why not? It's possible that at separate points in time every potential occurrence has happened as well and that what you see is just whatever existence you happen to occupy. We've had our perceptions of the way reality works questioned so many times throughout history I think that keeping an open mind about that is at the absolute least entertaining, if not helpful.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The universe is not infinite. There might be an infinite number of multiverses, but the universe is definitely not infinite. We currently do not know what or if anything exists outside the known universe... and that's fine, because scientists are comfortable admitting that they do not know.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="Gaming-Planet"]Space ends when it runs out of room.

It will always be spaceish. :P m0zart

Is that you 0rbs?

No. he didnt mention god.

GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

If we knew something existed outside of the known universe, it would also be known. Correct?

screaminBard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 screaminBard
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Outside of the known universe... The unknown universe? Dun dun DUN
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

It's called Heaven. :cool:

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

I have a hard time grasping the concept of pure nothingness, so I'm going to say something's there, even if it's just a big black empty void, it's still a big black empty void.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

I have a hard time grasping the concept of pure nothingness, so I'm going to say something's there, even if it's just a big black empty void, it's still a big black empty void.

sune_Gem
It's not. Imagine you're a boat, floating in the middle of the ocean, you're going to see only so far around you. If you were to draw it on a map you'd see a circle with you in the center. Space is much the same. Light has only been traveling through space for 13.77 billion years, thus, we can only see 13.77 billion light years away. We can draw a circle around the earth with a radius of 13.77 billion light years, that is our visible space. 1 billion years from now, light will have had 14.77 billion light years to reach our planet, and thus we'd be able to see a billion light years further away. We cannot see things 100 billion light years from earth, because it would take another 86 billion or so years, for light 100 billion light years away to actually reach the earth.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

m0zart

Redshift is cumulative with distance, so that means the further away something is from the observer, the faster it's moving away from him due to expansion. So in theory there's only so far out that we'll ever be able to see, even given an infinite amount of time.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Nibroc420

It's not. Imagine you're a boat, floating in the middle of the ocean, you're going to see only so far around you. If you were to draw it on a map you'd see a circle with you in the center. Space is much the same. Light has only been traveling through space for 13.77 billion years, thus, we can only see 13.77 billion light years away. We can draw a circle around the earth with a radius of 13.77 billion light years, that is our visible space. 1 billion years from now, light will have had 14.77 billion light years to reach our planet, and thus we'd be able to see a billion light years further away. We cannot see things 100 billion light years from earth, because it would take another 86 billion or so years, for light 100 billion light years away to actually reach the earth.

It's crazy how people figure this stuff out.

Still though, what I meant was that the thought of nothingness is just a bizarre one to me. I mean you say we can't see too far because light hasn't reached it yet, but absolute nothingness would mean there's no darkness in the area in the first place as nothing exists there. That's why I would have thought there to be something out there, even if we can't see it yet and wont be able to for billions of years. Then again that's just my concept of what total nothing would be.

I'm confusing myself, I can't even word my thoughts properly. :lol:

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]
Time and space do not exist outside of the universe
So no, nothing exists

chaoscougar1
What??
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]Time and space do not exist outside of the universe
So no, nothing existsWolfetan
What??

Time and space are products of the universe we live in Outside it/before the big bang They did not exist
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Nibroc420

That might not actually be the case Cause you have to take into account that some objects are traveling away from earth faster than the speed of light So technically, some light sources may never reach us
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

It's crazy how people figure this stuff out.

Still though, what I meant was that the thought of nothingness is just a bizarre one to me. I mean you say we can't see too far because light hasn't reached it yet, but absolute nothingness would mean there's no darkness in the area in the first place as nothing exists there. That's why I would have thought there to be something out there, even if we can't see it yet and wont be able to for billions of years. Then again that's just my concept of what total nothing would be.

I'm confusing myself, I can't even word my thoughts properly. :lol:

See my reply to nibroc
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
Yes Verizon customer services
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

Probably.

MakeMeaSammitch
Hehehe... P-Branes....
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

dunno

SirWander

probably the most valid answer 

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Answer... We don't know. There's a reason its the "known" universe. 

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

Probably.

mattbbpl
Hehehe... P-Branes....

Never been a big fan of string theory
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 m0zart

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

Probably.

chaoscougar1

Hehehe... P-Branes....

Xaos absolutely detested it.

Firmaments

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Firmaments
Member since 2013 • 83 Posts

The universe is a lie. There is nothing outside of our atmosphere. The lies spread about our solar system and universe were just put in place by God to test our faith. Plus the Earth is around 7000 years old like the rest of our universe. Duh.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 m0zart

The universe is a lie. There is nothing outside of our atmosphere. The lies spread about our solar system and universe were just put in place by God to test our faith. Plus the Earth is around 7000 years old like the rest of our universe. Duh.

Firmaments

That has to be 0rbs... or a reasonable facsimile.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"] Hehehe... P-Branes....m0zart

I miss Xaos and Frame_D Always learned so much
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

how would we know what is outside the "known universe."  It would by definition be unknown

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"] Hehehe... P-Branes....m0zart

why?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

chaoscougar1

That might not actually be the case Cause you have to take into account that some objects are traveling away from earth faster than the speed of light So technically, some light sources may never reach us

I agree completely that some objects would move faster away than others, however thanks to things like rogue stars/planets there might be objects speeding closer to us (as a solar system, not talking Armageddon style). Also, Even if one were to say that objects are moving away from each other, as we move further away from the center of our galaxy, so will other solar systems move from the center of their galaxies, and that again creates the possibility of things moving closer to us, does it not?
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] It's not. Imagine you're a boat, floating in the middle of the ocean, you're going to see only so far around you. If you were to draw it on a map you'd see a circle with you in the center. Space is much the same. Light has only been traveling through space for 13.77 billion years, thus, we can only see 13.77 billion light years away. We can draw a circle around the earth with a radius of 13.77 billion light years, that is our visible space. 1 billion years from now, light will have had 14.77 billion light years to reach our planet, and thus we'd be able to see a billion light years further away. We cannot see things 100 billion light years from earth, because it would take another 86 billion or so years, for light 100 billion light years away to actually reach the earth.

I agree completely that some objects would move faster away than others, however thanks to things like rogue stars/planets there might be objects speeding closer to us (as a solar system, not talking Armageddon style). Also, Even if one were to say that objects are moving away from each other, as we move further away from the center of our galaxy, so will other solar systems move from the center of their galaxies, and that again creates the possibility of things moving closer to us, does it not?

Few things Firstly, I wasn't referring to things in our own galaxy We aren't moving any closer to or further away from other stars (by any great margin) Galaxies are held together pretty tightly by gravity and dark matter (we believe) The biggest mind fvck about the big bang is that expansion is happening everywhere at once So, in 99% of cases, everything (other galaxies) are moving away from us Granted, we are supposed to be combining with Andromeda in the next billion years or so (I think) And we have viewed galaxies doing the old gravity dance across the universe But they are a small percentage of the ?0,000 we have discovered
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nibroc420

We aren't moving any closer to or further away from other stars (by any great margin)... Granted, we are supposed to be combining with Andromeda in the next billion years or so (I think) chaoscougar1

So we're getting closer to andromeda, but none of the stars of andromeda?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts
That's unknown....
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nibroc420
Do you believe there is existence which expands past the known universe?playmynutz
That's unknown....LJS9502_basic
Did you not even read the initial post? Or is your reading comprehension failing again?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts
[QUOTE="playmynutz"]Do you believe there is existence which expands past the known universe?Nibroc420
That's unknown....LJS9502_basic
Did you not even read the initial post? Or is your reading comprehension failing again?

Mine is fine....I see yours is failing again.