Anything better than thumbsticks for analog input?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

When it comes to controllers, analog controls are still done with the thumbstick, but they really do have a lot of flaws. Hasn't anyone come up with a better idea yet? Something that is maybe simpler, and more reliable? Do touchpads such as those on the Steam controller actually work all that well? What about the idea of a d-pad with pressure sensitivity that could determine your thumbs location 360 degrees around it, and how hard you are pressing?

If I had an idea, I would make my own controller to try it out with.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I used to play FPS games using a keyboard and Microsoft Trackball (the old one where the trackball is in the centre). I preferred it over a regular mouse and keyboard.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Mouse and keyboard.

You can get adapters for your console, too, such as the XIM Apex.

The Steam Controller is awesome, arguably one of the more novel controllers out there, but it takes some getting used to. But once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to the ol' thumb sticks.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Don't fix want isn't broke. Besides a mouse (which you can't put on a controller anyway) nothing beats analog sticks for their function.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#5 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I was wondering if something like the Intellvisions 16-direction d-pad, maybe with some Sony style pressure sensitivity could work as a reliable alternative to thumbsticks which always wear out and weaken leading to growing dead zone issues. Or perhaps touchpads similar to what the Steam controller uses. But, maybe easily replaceable thumbsticks like the ones in the Joycon would work too.