Anyone who lives in or near Chicago (or michigan/indiana/illinois) - Help please

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts

Hi guys. I live in England and i'm flying over to Philidelphia and then driving to Chicago (can't fly direct to chicago) on business in about 3 weeks (so last week of january). I'll probs stay in Chicago for a couple days but then i need to go and visit 2 companies, one just north of Milwaukee and one in Indianapolis. Now you Americans have your proper winter a couple months later than us Brits and so my concern is weather, specifically snow.

Do you think that, in the end of january, It's possible to drive as i say from phili to chicago and then to milwaukee and back down to indianpolis. I'm sure Indianapolis will be fine but i'm worried that the snow around chicago and anywhere north of that will too bad that i just can't get to where i need to go?

Whats your thoughts on this and any advice?

Thanks.

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
There'll be a lot of snow around Chicago at the end of January. We have plenty of it recently but a couple days of warm weather got rid of it all.
Anyway, unless you come here during a blizzard, you shouldn't have much to worry about. Chicago is designed to keep going even during snowy weather although the drive will take longer.
We have a huge army of snow trucks who patrol the major streets (no longer the minor streets :( ) and during a winter storm they will be out clearing the streets. So you should be fine.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
theres going to be alot of snow. all i have to say :(
GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GenTom
hmm. Any other thoughts?
Judo_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Judo_boy
Member since 2003 • 6063 Posts

I live in the Milwaukee area and I'd say that OF COURSE there will be snow but I wouldnt worry about it. Because of our winters we have some pretty effective snow clearing crews and it shouldnt really affect you especially when you're using the highways. I wouldnt let snow stop your plans...people are driving and commuting in this (Milwaukee) weather all the time.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts
I'd worry more about your airline flights being on time and o'hare.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

Just give yourself a lot of time to get where you need to go and drive slowly. Particularly if you're not used to N. American winter driving.

Also in case of emergency you might want to read up a bit on survival in extreme conditions. This might be good reading.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GenTom

Just give yourself a lot of time to get where you need to go and drive slowly. Particularly if you're not used to N. American winter driving.

Also in case of emergency you might want to read up a bit on survival in extreme conditions. This might be good reading.

duxup
lol great story, not sure it's made me any more confident about this trip tho haha.