SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11687 Posts

I did. This is my third and final subscription, after Netflix and Amazon.

Disney+ didn't work at first for me. I wasn't surprised and I checked it periodically throughout the day. It first started working on my laptop but I couldn't skip through anything. That ironed out and it finally started up on my Samsung 4K tv. For 9 bucks a month it's not that bad. Disney knows what they're doing. If it was priced any higher I bet a lot of people wouldn't go for it. Their library isn't that large, which is expected, but with competition it wouldn't do them many favours with a steeper price.

I watched the first episode of The Madalorian, which was awesome. I checked out some of the Star Wars films. I browsed a bit and was pleased to see some throwbacks like Darkwing Duck, Spider-man (90s tv series) and Gargoyles. The wife was happy to see some of the throwbacks from when she was younger, so that was a +

I have a monthly subscription so if the library doesn't grow as fast as I like I'll just cancel. But I'm happy with what it has so far and that I'm not running into anymore issues. A 7/10 for me.

How about you guys/gals? Anyone cave in, or thinking about it?

sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57102 Posts

Not yet. I dont like that we keep getting more and more streaming services that offer less and less.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44973 Posts

Not giving Disney more money, so no.

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9236 Posts

I can't really get into streaming like most people are able to, but I think there are some things I would be interested in on Disney+. I would mostly want to check out those old Disney cartoons - Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, Bonkers, etc.

But it's really not a big deal to me. And I don't care about Star Wars and rarely ever want to sit and watch most movies for the heck of it. I think it'll be a success though.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2730 Posts

I will when it's here for the kids mainly. Netflix atm/for a while hasn't got anything good

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45040 Posts

@sonicare said:

Not yet. I dont like that we keep getting more and more streaming services that offer less and less.

Yeah, the more specialized these services get, the worse. If I get Disney+ I will be up to five subscriptions for film and TV.

That's in addition to the three or four subs for gaming I have, too.

...and yet it is still cheaper than a moderate cable package :P

*It wouldn't be such a problem if they weren't so exclusive. Like I get it, The Mandalorian is a Disney product, and it's included with Disney+. But if I could rent it without subscribing, I'd do that. The thing is, I think they (the content providers) have realized that people have disposable income and they can afford to subscribe to things they don't really use that much of.

In short, they realized we are chumps.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25
@Chutebox said:

#IStandWithScorsese

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2029 Posts

Nope, not interested. Will keep collecting movies and TV shows and renting discs from Netflix. Better quality, wider selection.

Apparently, Greedo and Han now shoot at the same time in the 4K Disney Plus version of Star Wars. If they couldn't get the unedited versions for this, I doubt they ever will be released. I'll just stick with the fan-made 35 mm restorations.

Disney's version of The Simpsons is butchered. Every 4:3 episode is cropped for widescreen.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5583 Posts

F. no.

I'm about done with these streaming services. They've become too fragmented. I already have my own streaming service anyway.

@ezekiel43 said:

Disney's version of The Simpsons is butchered. Every 4:3 episode is cropped for widescreen.

Oh shit. Really? That's terrible.

Also I like the specs in your sig.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1054 Posts

I mean there's a 7-day trial sub....so basically nobody has officially subscribed yet right?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 2

#11 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4239 Posts

No thanks,got Netflix for my movie needs,just subs to Netflix a month a go.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2790 Posts
@ezekiel43 said:

Nope, not interested. Will keep collecting movies and TV shows and renting discs from Netflix. Better quality, wider selection.

Apparently, Greedo and Han now shoot at the same time in the 4K Disney Plus version of Star Wars. If they couldn't get the unedited versions for this, I doubt they ever will be released. I'll just stick with the fan-made 35 mm restorations.

Hopefully they will fix that about The Simpsons; otherwise, that is unfortunate.

Well maybe somewhere down the pipeline I'll look into Disney+. As it stands I think the streaming market is over-saturated and the more services that join in on this madness, the closer the streaming business is going to get to popping.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25551 Posts

Nope.

It's not gonna stop me from watching their content though.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#14 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2173 Posts

I like to keep my subscriptions to a minimum. I'll subscribe at some stage.

In regards to Netflix, we all share a family account, as well as with Stan. The subscriptions I have individually in terms of entertainment are only Crunchyroll & Prime Video. (Prime Video I hardly ever use, but I'm a Prime member, so.)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79551 Posts

It's not that I don't want to pay for another sub. I actually find the price attractive. It's just, I don't have the TIME to have another sub...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36496 Posts

The spamming on the front-page made me want to never use it.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1391 Posts

Until it can replace Hulu, I doubt I'll keep it indefinitely, I'll likely use the free week once Mandalorian is completely out, then wait a year for when it actually has something good again.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter  Online
Member since 2016 • 5636 Posts

I thought it was only $6 a month?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SOedipus

What the shit guys?
What the shit guys?

I'm not surprised by the responses. I regret getting it a little because my wife is hogging the tv now. But I get more me time so that's kind of a perk. I'm not sure if it's a glitch or intended but I haven't been able to resume playback on stuff. It's annoying having to fast forward through shit. It's also annoying that they'll be doing weekly releases for their original shows even though it makes sense at the moment since their catalog is limited. They're playing it smart and preventing people from binge-watching their shows now and cancelling after. Hopefully they can release everything at once when their catalog increases.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SOedipus

@vfighter said:

I thought it was only $6 a month?

It's $6.99 a month

$8.99CAD a month.

Sorry.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts

Once they have more content, I plan to jump back and forth between this and Netflix. Not planning to pay for both at the same time.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 19883 Posts

This past week, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) released its mid-year report. It showed that 80% of the of music industry’s revenue comes from streaming, but it also showed that revenue from sales of vinyl records is on track to overtake that of compact discs by the year’s end, should current trends continue.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/vinyl-records-on-track-to-outsell-cds-and-prices-have-risen-490percent.html

Despite vinyl’s growth, streaming still dominates the music industry — records accounted for just 4 percent of total revenues in the first half of 2019. In contrast, paid subscriptions to streaming services generated 62 percent of industry revenues.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/vinyl-cds-revenue-growth-riaa-880959/

Regarding music, streaming is the present and the (foreseeable) future.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5281 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Part of me agrees but the content seems appealing and from what I have read many of its 80's and 90's cartoons are included and I do enjoy such cartoons.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 167986 Posts

Nope. Subscriptions are getting out of hand now.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44973 Posts

@Solaryellow: is it true they have ducktales, darkwing duck, gargoyles, etc? Wont change my mind, but damn those were.good.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 942 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@Chutebox said:

Part of me agrees but the content seems appealing and from what I have read many of its 80's and 90's cartoons are included and I do enjoy such cartoons.

All the cartoons are there. 90's Spider-Man, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four (90's and 2000's MTV), all the versions of Avengers. Only one I didn't see was 67 Spider-Man. All the after school Disney shows are there too, except Gummi Bears, unless I just missed it.

Movie wise I saw Flight of the Navigator and Rocketeer got me stoked. Classics like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Journey to the Center of the Earth. If you're not into animation, Marvel and Star Wars, then this service will be very light on content for you.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

Just sub to one service at a time. One moth use Netflix, the next month disny plus. Pleas stop bitching about having to pay for the 2 at the same time

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 2053 Posts

@Addict187 said:

Just sub to one service at a time. One moth use Netflix, the next month disny plus. Pleas stop bitching about having to pay for the 2 at the same time

While I can sympathize with those who don’t have the self-discipline (or memory) to keep cancelling, you’ve suggested the right answer.

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

@zmanbarzel: when you sub to a service you can opped out the automatic renewal. If people can't figured this out then there is no helping them.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Solaryellow

@heathen75 said:
@Solaryellow said:

All the cartoons are there. 90's Spider-Man, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four (90's and 2000's MTV), all the versions of Avengers. Only one I didn't see was 67 Spider-Man. All the after school Disney shows are there too, except Gummi Bears, unless I just missed it.

Movie wise I saw Flight of the Navigator and Rocketeer got me stoked. Classics like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Journey to the Center of the Earth. If you're not into animation, Marvel and Star Wars, then this service will be very light on content for you.

The Black Hole?

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HEATHEN75

@Solaryellow: Yes. The Black Hole is there. Added it to my watchlist.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solaryellow

SOB.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70367 Posts

Nope. Seems like kind of a limited scope of content. Like its quality no doubt, but I am not a crazy Disney fan.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17610 Posts

@mrbojangles25: "If I get Disney+ I will be up to five subscriptions for film and TV."

Is that cheaper than cable?

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HEATHEN75

@PSP107: Depends on what cable package you get. Having 5 subscriptions is no ones fault but your own. I do fine with 2.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#37  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79551 Posts

Yeah, a co-worker of mine says she's experienced the same issue with the resume playback. So, until they get that fixed, I'm not even going to think about subbing. I'm also going to wait until the catalogue improves and all the shows I want to watch, like the Mandalorian are all complete before I start a trial.

@SOedipus said:
What the shit guys?
What the shit guys?

I'm not surprised by the responses. I regret getting it a little because my wife is hogging the tv now. But I get more me time so that's kind of a perk. I'm not sure if it's a glitch or intended but I haven't been able to resume playback on stuff. It's annoying having to fast forward through shit. It's also annoying that they'll be doing weekly releases for their original shows even though it makes sense at the moment since their catalog is limited. They're playing it smart and preventing people from binge-watching their shows now and cancelling after. Hopefully they can release everything at once when their catalog increases.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 36032 Posts

not subscribed yet. maybe in the future. already have shared accounts w/ family members for netflix, hulu, and prime. plus my sister in law has purchased a boatload of disney movies on apple tv which she's shared w/ us so they keep my daughter busy :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mrbojangles25

@PSP107 said:

@mrbojangles25: "If I get Disney+ I will be up to five subscriptions for film and TV."

Is that cheaper than cable?

It is, depending on location and what package you get. You can get basic (like, really basic, local channels and maybe a few cable) for about $60/mo. A decent package that includes internet and cable with some movie channels and cable channels will cost you 110+ around my neck of the woods.

I pay $70 for internet (faster internet than they bundle with cable), and about 40 combined for all my subs (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu). I don't get cable TV, but I feel I get access to better content. It's a competitive deal.

Have not had cable for about 12 years at this point and I don't miss it. I don't miss the bullshit shows, I don't miss the commercials. I Don't miss the bias of the cable news.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2745 Posts

No

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35439 Posts

I don’t

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3553 Posts

No never was a fan of Disney even when I was a kid.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2730 Posts

I got it last night, it's okay. Seems a lot better for the kids then myself. It's not available as an app on my TV which is annoying so no 4k HDR content.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17610 Posts

@warmblur: "No never was a fan of Disney even when I was a kid."

If you wasn't a Disney fan, what was your go to cartoon/movies growing up?

mikestunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 mikestunner
Member since 2005 • 5306 Posts
@warmblur said:

I second that. Everyone kept saying how it's reliving their childhood. But I never watched any of it.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2029 Posts

@mikestunner said:
@warmblur said:

I second that. Everyone kept saying how it's reliving their childhood. But I never watched any of it.

I watched some of those movies this year and last and the year before for the first time. Others I remembered so vaguely that I may as well have watched them for the first time. I enjoyed all of them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mrbojangles25

OMFG The Mandalorian is sooooooooooooooo good. God bless Jon Favreau, he is the second coming of Ron Howard. Just makes fun movies that are actually good, too.

That fourth episode was interestingly enough directed by Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron's daughter)

Loving Disney+. Good god the nostalgia is overwheling, plus they seem to only host the remastered versions of movies, so things like Willow that looked like crap on VHS (the last format I watched it on) now look pretty damn good. Same with a lot of their animated stuff from the 50's and 60's.

Sn0man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sn0man
Member since 2019 • 41 Posts

I subscribed the first day it came out - mainly because I was interested in watching the Mandalorian. It looked like it'd be a good show. First couple of episodes were OK, but I just sat down to watch episode 4, and in the first 5 minutes our main character is getting his ass beat by a girl.

So I cancelled my subscription. I know what direction this is going and i'm not going to help pay for it.

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9236 Posts

Well I said I wasn't going to get it, but I just got a free year of Disney + because of a promotion with Verizon.

I'll mostly use it to watch old Disney cartoons from my childhood. I am disappointed that there are a few glaring omissions: Aladdin: The Animated Series, Raw Toonage, Marsupilami, Shnookums & Meat, Jungle Cubs, Doug (yes, I still liked the Disney years!), and if possible The Muppet Babies since I think it sorta belongs there?

Disney might also own the rights to many FOX Kids shows. That's great news, since we could potentially see Eek the Cat, Bobby's World, Space Goofs and The Tick on here, among other things.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 15831 Posts

@Ovirew: They have Doug on there, but no Billy West as Doug is a no-go for me.