Anyone play guitar?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sillybunzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sillybunzz
Member since 2007 • 241 Posts
So i was thinking about buying an electric guitar not to get into a band or anything just to learn how to play some songs for fun. The thing is I dont have the time or money for lessons. So do you guys think I could learn how to play decently by just looking at guides and such on the internet?
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Well, both my mom and dad tried playing guitar in their teens, but now both of them are just collecting dust in the attic, I've tried playing something on them a few times, and I was thinking about learning it too.
But honestly, I think the only thing you need to do is just start playing and keep playing.
I wouldn't buy something fancy really, my dad's guitar has 12 strings, honestly, it's freakin' annoying to play on that and I think that ones meant for the pro's :P Just buy a 6 string one.
Also, maybe you should go with an acoustic, doesn't cost as much, I guess.
BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 BladeOfHeaven
Member since 2006 • 6027 Posts
I've been playing for around 16 years now. Never had a lesson in my life (well a couple but they weren't real lessons :P). Point is, you dont need fancy lessons or anything to get good. If your motivated and have an interest in it, then you can do it
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
I mostly play by ear, but it's nice to learn a song. people don't like the way I play guitar but I do.
dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts
nah. i took a guitar class but failed. it was really hard.
zombieman666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#6 zombieman666
Member since 2006 • 3514 Posts
Learn how to read tabs
Avatar image for Suddenstriker52
Suddenstriker52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Suddenstriker52
Member since 2005 • 996 Posts

I mostly play by ear, but it's nice to learn a song. people don't like the way I play guitar but I do.quiglythegreat

How do you learn to play by ear? I don't really get it.

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 quiglythegreat

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]I mostly play by ear, but it's nice to learn a song. people don't like the way I play guitar but I do.Suddenstriker52

I just hit notes in a way that sounds good to my ears and occasionally stumble on scales or something, but I mostly find scales boring. I just play.
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]I mostly play by ear, but it's nice to learn a song. people don't like the way I play guitar but I do.Suddenstriker52

try and figure out songs without looking at sheet music, you will get there eventually
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="Suddenstriker52"]

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"]I mostly play by ear, but it's nice to learn a song. people don't like the way I play guitar but I do.halfnaked

try and figure out songs without looking at sheet music, you will get there eventually

a lot of the time, you won't. professional musicians don't trust themselves to be able to do that.
TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 TheJustin
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts
So i was thinking about buying an electric guitar not to get into a band or anything just to learn how to play some songs for fun. The thing is I dont have the time or money for lessons. So do you guys think I could learn how to play decently by just looking at guides and such on the internet?sillybunzz

Yes, I'm completley self taught. The only edge I had was I knew how to read music cause I played the sax in band during middle school.
_EvidencE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _EvidencE_
Member since 2006 • 1112 Posts
With patience and practice it's very possible. I've got a friend who never had lessons in his life, he just learned how to read tabs and hes great at guitar.
Tsunami23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tsunami23
Member since 2004 • 1352 Posts

So i was thinking about buying an electric guitar not to get into a band or anything just to learn how to play some songs for fun. The thing is I dont have the time or money for lessons. So do you guys think I could learn how to play decently by just looking at guides and such on the internet?sillybunzz

I started two years ago or so, and I learned completely by myself. It's a very fun hobby and I highly encourage you to get into it.

Mystery-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mystery-
Member since 2007 • 2144 Posts
I would take one or two lessons just to learn how to read tabs and get your hands moving in the right direction but after that you can learn just my watching some videos on the internet.
Avatar image for brightshadow525
brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 brightshadow525
Member since 2006 • 1149 Posts
Some of the greatest guitarist learned by themselves...
GunnyHath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 GunnyHath
Member since 2007 • 743 Posts

I started the Guitar Players Union. This isn't recruitment, but you can go there to ask questions if you want, there is a forum thread just for guitar help and questions. Feel free to drop by. I'm happy to help out as well

As for learning, you can take online (video lessons) at www.nextlevelguitar.com , the instructor is David Taub and he's an excellent teacher very charismatic, and really motivates you. I've taken structured lessons in school, taught myself a lot, and paid for a year membership to that site. They all have pros and cons, and over the course of your life it will all just add up. But I highly recommend that site, David's teaching stile is very accessible. It's for anyone, from learning your string names all the way up to sweep picking arpeggios etc.. beginner to advanced, its all there.

Anyway, pm me if you have questions, or stop by the union forum, either way good luck on your guitar journey.

1mpaler-w6rbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 1mpaler-w6rbnd
Member since 2008 • 1992 Posts
I play. I'm actually in a band. I think you should, but it will only help 50-50. You reallyneed to do mostly yourself or with a pro. Depends....
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I try a bit.
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

Lessons are good, but not a necessity. My friend is self taught and he is an absolute maniac at the guitar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_LQ1cwfPlb4

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
never had a lesson,, yul find it more fun and rewarding doing it yourself i know i do. just read tabs.! simple!!!!!!!:)
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts
Its not very hard at all but take a few lessons from a teacher and learn the first 10 basic chords/how to read tabs. Within a month or two you should able to read tabs and play basic songs.
GunnyHath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 GunnyHath
Member since 2007 • 743 Posts
The problem with tab is that 95% of the tab out there is incorrect. Even some professionally done tab/staff books are incorrect. The best resource I've found for being note for note accurate is Lick Library DVDs. Tab will get you so far, but you need to learn music theory too.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I would advice you to get a professional teacher, then if you have any questions you can ask right away, and he/she can also correct you if you are doing anything wrong.
tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
I suggest you get trained by a guitar teacher.Start with a cheap acoustic guitar and learn guitar theory, but most important play stuff that you like, if your trying to learn something you like you'll work harder on it. Books are always good but if your not dedicated and don't practice you'll never get good, so basically try and find time to play.