sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 275 Posts

And the unholy union of trap and heavy metal.

I wasn't really into rap until I heard these guys. With all the sugar plum Barbie b**ches plaguing the radio and the hypocrisy of the music industry as of 2020, I'm just glad these dudes are around.

Anyone else? My fave song is "Neck Brace"

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45408 Posts

Sorry, but no.

Some things just don't go together, rap and metal is one those things.

*I don't mean this as a criticism, but there isn't enough room in rap for another genre to really get in there. Rap (especially the modern standard of rap) is all about swagger, bragging, and hype; at it's deepest, it's simple social commentary. There is very little real expression, which is what metal is all about.

Hip hop and metal are my two favorites genres of music, btw. Just don't think they go together well.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 40029 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Wait, you don't like Nu-Metal? I know Nu-Metal doesn't get much respect but it's not all bad depending who you know that is. I do have a few Nu-Metal bands I like if you want me to list them and maybe check them out for yourself?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25

@davillain-: Feel free to point me in the right direction if you have some suggestions :D I have an open mind about it, despite my post above.

But of the stuff I have heard, it just does not gel together as well as other genres do; folk-rock, punk-rock, folk-punk, country-rock, blues-country, and so on all work very well.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98185 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sorry, but no.

Some things just don't go together, rap and metal is one those things.

*I don't mean this as a criticism, but there isn't enough room in rap for another genre to really get in there. Rap (especially the modern standard of rap) is all about swagger, bragging, and hype; at it's deepest, it's simple social commentary. There is very little real expression, which is what metal is all about.

Hip hop and metal are my two favorites genres of music, btw. Just don't think they go together well.

Rage Against the Machine and Prophets of Rage disagree.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25

@foxhound_fox:

Limp Bizkit agrees. They're rap-metal, right?

I never liked Rage Against the Machine, even back in their heyday. They're probably the reason I don't enjoy Rap-Metal or whatever the genre calls itself. Lead singer has an annoying voice, they're way too overtly political, and their guitarist is good but not as good as people made him out to be.

Don't really know Prophets of Rage too well but I looked them up and they seem just like Rage Against the Machine except with more rap and that guys vocals from Cypress Hill.

Rap-Metal just sounds like people trying way, way, way too hard to be badass, or cool, or send a message. I hear it and I feel embarrassed.

Again just my opinion and normally I'd keep it to myself I just really really really don't like it.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 40029 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Nu-Metal is just trying to mix things up with heavy Metal+Rap isn't intended for everyone, I listen to everything except Religion & Country Songs isn't my thing. Anyhow, these are the Nu-Metal bands I like listening to:

• Rage Against the Machines
  • Five Finger Death Punch
  • Pantera
  • Slipknot
  • Disturbed
  • Korn
  • Limp Bizkit
  • Linkin Parks
  • System of a Down

One thing I need to mention. Nu-metal is a touchy subject. Like metalcore and hair metal, it's something of a pariah here. Nu-metal tends to be aggressive, and so does metal. Nu-metal tends to feature distorted guitars which the songs are often written around, and so does metal. Nu-metal tends to have loud, double bass-heavy drumming, and so does metal. In fact, it is reasonable to say that nu-metal was influenced, perhaps quite dramatically, by the "groove metal" style which emerged in the early 90's, which is acknowledged, sometimes grudgingly, as truly metal.