Anyone hear a x christian who defected to atheism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6224691f9a882
deactivated-6224691f9a882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6224691f9a882
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts
After the bombardment of atheism vs religion on OT has anyone converted and seen the light?
biBLioTek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 biBLioTek
Member since 2004 • 1531 Posts
After the bombardment of atheism vs religion on OT has anyone converted and seen the light?duncancameron23
i went from atheist to christian, but not because of some silly forum post. requires alot more than mere words.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts
i used to be very religious. i was a catholic who went to a catholic school and attended church regularly. im not an atheist
Avatar image for deactivated-6224691f9a882
deactivated-6224691f9a882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6224691f9a882
Member since 2005 • 868 Posts

[QUOTE="duncancameron23"]After the bombardment of atheism vs religion on OT has anyone converted and seen the light?biBLioTek
i went from atheist to christian, but not because of some silly forum post. requires alot more than mere words.

Drugs, brainwashing? (Just kidding;))

leejohnson7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 leejohnson7
Member since 2007 • 2909 Posts
No, but it sure does get boring hearing them telling you everything you learn at school in science is wrong.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#6 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I was brought up as a Christian but am more of an agnostic now.
gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
Was a hardcore Christian, and then I went to college and actually opened my eyes after being fed the same BS my whole life.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

My family is Christian, so I guess you could say I came from that background. I never bought into it though.

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
lol...it takes more than some lame science vs. religion threads on OT to sway my opinion.
Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

As a christian, I've seen quite a bit aethiests converted to chrisiitanity.

I do think the # 1 thing to disinterest people about faith in God is cramming the bible down the throat. You have to soul search and really change your ways.

I know some people who were raised in a hardcore religious family and have gone down some dark paths. just goes to show you can't force religion on anybody. It requires faith from your self!

reiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 reiv
Member since 2008 • 1038 Posts
I dropped religion at a young age. Some christians on this board have done a stellar job at reinforcing my athiesm.
DarkAlucard666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkAlucard666
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts

I make my own path, the way I want it.

This makes more sence to me^ I'm neither of those.

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
i dont like the close mindedness of the christian folk here, so i turned atheist.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
I've been agnostic all my life, and everyone I know has either always been religious or always been secular.
deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15 deepdreamer256
Member since 2005 • 7140 Posts
My primary school instilled religious values into it's students. I defected to Agnosticism when I was 8 (my parents views got the better of me) when I heard of this wonderful thing called the Big Bang. I have been arguing against religion to this day. >_>
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
I'm Christian, and I don't think I'll change my beliefs anytime soon. ~ de arimasu :P
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

i dont like the close mindedness of the christian folk here, so i turned atheist.NaiKoN9293

That doesn't make sense... why would closed-mindedness of Christians means that God doesn't exist? :?

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]i dont like the close mindedness of the christian folk here, so i turned atheist.Funky_Llama

That doesn't make sense... why would closed-mindedness of Christians means that God doesn't exist? :?

I just saw that they had been tought to believe it and won't think rationally about it. and insteadt use confirmation bias to make God real to them, but that doens't make God real to me.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]i dont like the close mindedness of the christian folk here, so i turned atheist.NaiKoN9293

I just saw that they had been tought to believe it and won't think rationally about it. and insteadt use confirmation bias to make God real to them, but that doens't make God real to me.

Yeah, but just because they don't think rationally about it doesn't mean God doesn't exist; it just means that they're rubbish. :P

deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deepdreamer256
[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]i dont like the close mindedness of the christian folk here, so i turned atheist.Funky_Llama

Yeah, but just because they don't think rationally about it doesn't mean God doesn't exist; it just means that they're rubbish. :P

I think he's trying to say he preferred an ever so slightly more, dare I say scientific way of thinking.
im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 im_really_rich
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

i used to be very religious. i was a catholic who went to a catholic school and attended church regularly. im not an atheist H8sMikeMoore

Dude, I was just like you.

In what you described above, the only difference between you and I is that I am an atheist.

I went to a local Catholic school from Kindergarten to 10th grade and attended mass every Sunday, and transfered to a public school for 11th and 12th grade. In my senior year of high school, on the Tuesday after Palm Sunday, I finally rebelled and declared myself not Christian.

It was VERY hard, because to declare yourself not to believe in God can be a mortal sin, which you could go to Hell for, and mortal sins have to be forgiven by an oral confession to a priest, which is always a hassle, so declaring that I was not a part of the church took a lot of guts and it took forever for me to do.

Even after I declared myself atheist, it took me months before I had the guts to start using the Lord's name in vain.

That was a long time ago though, two and a half years ago, now I blasheme and exclaim that I worship Satan on a daily basis, I love being a heretic and enjoy every minute of it.

But I'm not the type of atheist that is a jerk about anyone's religion. I am open and accepting of people of all different philisophical and moral beliefs.

I told myself a long time ago, if I had a kid, I would support and accept ANY religion that the kid believed in, anything from Hindu to Protestant to Catholic to Buddhist to Islam to Judaica to Devil-Worship to Wicca to Tiki Idol Worship to etc.

If I were to have a problem with a certain religion, it would not be because of the beliefs involved, but would be about the religion affecting my kid's ability to function in a daily life and if the religion was harming my kid, like cults that demand you give all your possessions away to the group and live as a pauper in the group, that kinda stuff.

So to answer the OT question:

"Yeah, I DEFECTED to atheism."

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]i dont like the close mindedness of the christian folk here, so i turned atheist.deepdreamer256

I think he's trying to say he preferred an ever so slightly more, dare I say scientific way of thinking.

Meh... seemed more like a glorified ad hominem attack to be.

deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deepdreamer256
Meh... seemed more like a glorified ad hominem attack to be. Funky_Llama
ARGH! And I just got out of critical thinking. :cry: You're right, though, there was an element of ad hominem to it.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Meh... seemed more like a glorified ad hominem attack to be. deepdreamer256
ARGH! And I just got out of critical thinking. :cry: You're right, though, there was an element of ad hominem to it.

Sorry. :P

xXBuffJeffXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xXBuffJeffXx
Member since 2006 • 5913 Posts
I was Christian and adhered to Atheism for a while until I realized that it was not right for me, for the same reasons Christianity wasn't. I consider myself an agnostic. Some days I'd call myself a deist, though. Fact is, I have no idea what's going on "up there."
HoffmanSony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HoffmanSony
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts
I was brought up as a Christian but am more of an agnostic now.SolidSnake35
^same
deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deepdreamer256

[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Meh... seemed more like a glorified ad hominem attack to be. Funky_Llama

Sorry. :P

It's okay, I shouldn't have come here if I wanted to cool off. >_>
DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts

I switched pre-gamespot. My sister and father got in an argument over evolution and I was suprised to find otu my father was a creationist, I debated with him for a while eventually ddebated elswhere online joined GS a few months later.

TL;DR GS strengthened my Atheism, but didn't cause it.

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts

As a christian, I've seen quite a bit aethiests converted to chrisiitanity.

I do think the # 1 thing to disinterest people about faith in God is cramming the bible down the throat. You have to soul search and really change your ways.

I know some people who were raised in a hardcore religious family and have gone down some dark paths. just goes to show you can't force religion on anybody. It requires faith from your self!

Squall18

QFT, probably one of the greatest points made about religion on any religion type thread i've seen on OT. To be a christian, it's about reflecting on yourself, and living a certain way based on that reflection. It shouldn't be about telling others what's right or wrong, because that's a sin in and of itself. I consider myself a christian, I just don't have a religious affiliation (catholic, baptist, methodist...etc..)

When I read the bible and pray, I'm not looking for answers in terms of 'how' things have happened (creation, evolution...etc). I'm looking for the answer 'why'. It seems that science and religion are trying to answer questions which neither of them have much business doing. Traditional based christian creation theories have been proved false; in a traditional sense. Meaning the Earth is only 4,000 years old, and there were no dinosaurs. I also find it equally foolish that science tries to answer the question 'why' though, when it has no business trying to find such answers. The simple fact that I think there's a reason means that there's an answer out there to obtain, other than just pro-creation.

I think the world would be a much simpler place if the two ideas of science and religion would just stick to the questions they're meant to answer.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

I once defected to atheism, but I rediscovered my faith...but before that I was agnostic, then atheist, then agnostic...then religious...

I plan for it to stay that way now.

DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrummerJon

I once defected to atheism, but I rediscovered my faith...but before that I was agnostic, then atheist, then agnostic...then religious...

-TheSecondSign-

I am genuinly curious how that works. A suprising amount of Atheists become Christians (not a huge % but a decent chunk). I'm curios what drove you to Atheism in the first place? I arrived through logic and I can't imagine a logic that can undo it, others become Atheists because they are angry at god or want to rebel and such.

So I'm basically asking what type of Atheist were you? If you became one through logic I would also like to ask how you undid that?

-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -TheSecondSign-
[QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]

DrummerJon

I am genuinly curious how that works. A suprising amount of Atheists become Christians (not a huge % but a decent chunk). I'm curios what drove you to Atheism in the first place? I arrived through logic and I can't imagine a logic that can undo it, others become Atheists because they are angry at god or want to rebel and such.

So I'm basically asking what type of Atheist were you? If you became one through logic I would also like to ask how you undid that?

I became a very serious atheist after seeing a lot of things I wasn't exposed to previously. I learned a lot about science and the world and didn't think God could be a part of that. I am very well educated in the processes of the world, and for a time, I decided that God couldn't fit in there.

Then I realized he could fit in there, and decided to give it a chance. I examined religion again, and found truth there.

It was a persona decision, and I really can't explain it to you. It was a very long, and in some ways, upsetting story that I really can't word right.

I guess you could say I found something. Do I believe everyone needs that something? Most certainly not, and I don't consider myself "holier than thou". I don't consider myself "better", and in all honesty, I still do a lot of unsavory things.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

I was brought up as a Christian but am more of an agnostic now.SolidSnake35

Same here.

DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DrummerJon

I became a very serious atheist after seeing a lot of things I wasn't exposed to previously. I learned a lot about science and the world and didn't think God could be a part of that. I am very well educated in the processes of the world, and for a time, I decided that God couldn't fit in there.

Then I realized he could fit in there, and decided to give it a chance. I examined religion again, and found truth there.

It was a persona decision, and I really can't explain it to you. It was a very long, and in some ways, upsetting story that I really can't word right.

I guess you could say I found something. Do I believe everyone needs that something? Most certainly not, and I don't consider myself "holier than thou". I don't consider myself "better", and in all honesty, I still do a lot of unsavory things.

-TheSecondSign-

Mhm, How "religious" would you say exactly. I'm assuming you're not a christian literalist, nor a Pantheist. I can understand Pantheism/Deism as an easy jump from Atheism. If you are a literalist (creationist etc), no offense, but I can't wrap my mind around that jump.

the_one34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_one34
Member since 2004 • 1105 Posts

I used to be Catholic when I was young, however I always had doubts. I had to admit, it was fun when I was young, hearing so many stories about Moses, Jesus and his miracles etc. At about 10 I started losing my faith, and by 16 I regarded myself as an atheist. After that I embraced science and rationale, letting go of all superstitions in my life. Strangely enough my grades improved ten fold.

You should also know that my whole family was catholic, including the extended family, in a 98% Catholic country and where atheism is seen as immoral.

Even when I was about 6 I used to ask my mum...why does the priest say so many weird things? I always had a feeling about Religion.

WtFDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WtFDragon
Member since 2004 • 4176 Posts
I've been Catholic all my life, and keep finding new reasons to strenghten my faith (although many have tried to put it to the test). I've also helped convert at least one person to a life of faith, and possibly one other as well.
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -TheSecondSign-
[QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]

DrummerJon

Mhm, How "religious" would you say exactly. I'm assuming you're not a christian literalist, nor a Pantheist. I can understand Pantheism/Deism as an easy jump from Atheism. If you are a literalist (creationist etc), no offense, but I can't wrap my mind around that jump.

I would like to consider myself a fairly religious person.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I stopped believing in christian faith when I stopped believing in santa and the easter bunny.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I used to be a Christian, but I converted to Atheism around last year, at the age of 13.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#40 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
I've seen disillusioned Christian being sick of the hypocracy from some of the pastors, and I've also seen Athiests recieving Christ into their lives. So yeah, it's possible.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
I have attended a church since i was young but i have never really believed what they tought us in Sunday School or during the church time.