Anyone feeling alone or like giving up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By teknomancer
Member since 2018 • 15 Posts

Asking for a friend

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

@teknomancer: Frequently. As an Aspie with a myriad of anxiety issues, the pressures of daily life are often difficult.

The ways I tend to deal with it is remember what I’m working towards. That it’s all for a better life, a bright future and to make family proud. If you can remember those, it’s usually all worth it.

But above all else by remembering that such feelings are always temporary.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 teknomancer

Thanks, what's it like living with Aspergers?

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

@teknomancer: It’s hard to explain - in my case I’ve been incredibly lucky. I’ve had lots of support from family and professionals. But there are still times when it gets too much, whether it’s communication difficulties at work or having problems adjusting to change.

That’s why having the right people around you is so important and getting that support makes all the difference.

As I said, I’ve been lucky but there are many out there who aren’t and suffer a great deal more because their condition is either not recognised or not supported.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I don't feel alone. I'm not a very social person but I do have a great family and friends. That is to say I have my fair share of issues like OCD and social anxiety but nothing too serious.

If you have those feelings then don't give up but work towards improving the situation. Go out more and try to engage in any outdoor activities that you find interesting - who knows you might meet someone you can later call friend or even a significant other.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 teknomancer

@Starshine_M2A2: I see, I just have anxiety overall but I think that's admirable. But I meant like what is it like? Do you have concentrations problems? Is it like autism? I never really understood what it was or how it affects those that have it.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 teknomancer

@johnd13: Thanks I appreciate that

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

moderate depression and social anxiety for me.

I get by. I'm slowly learning to worry less what others think, and to trust my instincts (which are good). Most of my life I've always cared too much what others think, or have done "what I should have done" instead of what I wanted to do.

The important thing is to realize that being alone is not the same as loneliness, and it takes strength to do that. Some people go from relationship to relationship like they're addicts and I don't think that is any better (that dependency), but it is socially acceptable.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 teknomancer

@mrbojangles25: Same here. Still working on it too

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I have clinical depression for over 20 years people always say things will get better but it never does in fact it only gets worst. I'm only alive because I don't want to hurt my family I hate life with a passion there's things I enjoy but barely at this point. I been on every type of antidepressant and been to therapy it never helped. I wish I could be happy and normal but I'm beyond repair I don't feel sorry for myself I hate myself most of the time I also have health issues that are permanent and make me miserable I'm to stubborn to die but to fu$% up to live.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teknomancer

@warmblur: Woah dude that's harsh. i get the medication part as I don't feel it does much. Then again I could just be too screwed up for them to work.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Sometimes I feel like giving up.

I have PTSD, got leukemia at 20 and was treated for 3 years, and now suffer from all kinds of post-chemo effects. Most of my joints have avascular necrosis so it feels like I have fractured joints most of the time. Really painful and it's permanent.

Don't feel lonely because I have my family to support me.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 teknomancer

@Gaming-Planet: This motivates me a little

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@teknomancer said:

@Gaming-Planet: This motivates me a little

Don't give up. There are plenty of things to do on this planet.

Don't allow society to limit your desires. Do the opposite of what everyone is doing and go your own way. You'll live much happier if you liberate yourself from such constraints.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 teknomancer

@Gaming-Planet: Thank you. I don't want to give up nor do I want to anyone to feel sorry for me. I just wonder if anyone shares the same feeling.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@teknomancer:

Have them play REM's "Everybody Hurts" , that song probably saved it's share of lives.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@teknomancer said:

Asking for a friend

why does your friend feel like giving up?

@warmblur said:

I have clinical depression for over 20 years people always say things will get better but it never does in fact it only gets worst. I'm only alive because I don't want to hurt my family I hate life with a passion there's things I enjoy but barely at this point. I been on every type of antidepressant and been to therapy it never helped. I wish I could be happy and normal but I'm beyond repair I don't feel sorry for myself I hate myself most of the time I also have health issues that are permanent and make me miserable I'm to stubborn to die but to fu$% up to live.

shit, mate that's awful to read. are things really that bleak? what are you good at? what do you enjoy doing?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@teknomancer said:

Asking for a friend

why does your friend feel like giving up?

@warmblur said:

shit, mate that's awful to read. are things really that bleak? what are you good at? what do you enjoy doing?

Things are pretty bad and have been I tried hard to make these better in my life but depression always hit hard and painful along with painful nostalgia my heart is stuck in the 90's I miss that decade so much you have no idea it hurts so fu%%ing bad I hate this era we live in now.I made alot of mistakes in my life and I wish I could go back and fix them but unfortunately the damage is done. As for what I'm good as nothing really just mediocre at somethings and bad at the rest. I enjoy the usual stuff music, movies, games ect.. The real hard truth is the only thing that ever helped my depression is illegal in my state for now and I have no access to it anymore. I'm pretty much dead to the world at this point I know that sounds dramatic it is but it's the truth and sometimes I don't mind being lonely other times it gets to me I just want to feel happy sick of feeling like shit all the time.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@warmblur said:

Things are pretty bad and have been I tried hard to make these better in my life but depression always hit hard and painful along with painful nostalgia my heart is stuck in the 90's I miss that decade so much you have no idea it hurts so fu%%ing bad I hate this era we live in now.I made alot of mistakes in my life and I wish I could go back and fix them but unfortunately the damage is done. As for what I'm good as nothing really just mediocre at somethings and bad at the rest. I enjoy the usual stuff music, movies, games ect.. The real hard truth is the only thing that ever helped my depression is illegal in my state for now and I have no access to it anymore. I'm pretty much dead to the world at this point I know that sounds dramatic it is but it's the truth and sometimes I don't mind being lonely other times it gets to me I just want to feel happy sick of feeling like shit all the time.

mate the 90s were awesome - super nintendo, streetfighter 2, goldeneye 64, pulp fiction, terminator 2, chicago bulls, michael jordan, west coast gangsta rap, saved by the bell, reebok pump, britney spears in school uniform, manchester united cleaning up... good times, but there's loads to enjoy in this day and age too. seriously. loads.

i know there's f*ck all i can say to change your mind but you'd be hard pressed to find a single person who hasn't made tons of mistakes in the past, some really bad ones too. just let it all go. that famous "grant me the serenity..." quote covers it nicely. and i bet there's stuff that you're good at, at the very least stuff you're interested in you could get better at with a bit of practice.

don't give up mate

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 teknomancer

@warmblur: I hate to be the "my generation was the best" or "was better than yours" type of guy, but I can't disagree with this. The '90s were the best for me. Although gaming really flourished after 2004-2005 thereabout share the same sentiment and would relive that time again.

teknomancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 teknomancer

@Macutchi: Agreed

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

What ever happened to that medical student who made threads like these all the time? He should have some good tips.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Sometimes I feel like giving up.

I have PTSD, got leukemia at 20 and was treated for 3 years, and now suffer from all kinds of post-chemo effects. Most of my joints have avascular necrosis so it feels like I have fractured joints most of the time. Really painful and it's permanent.

Don't feel lonely because I have my family to support me.

Holy crap! 3 years?

I did 6 months of chemo back in 07. Gave me a major weakness to direct sun. Made the mistake of going canoeing when I was feeling better and the sun turned my legs purple. It was beyond your basic sunburn. I missed a week of work because of it. 11 years later and 10 minutes in the sun has me dripping with sweat and drains any energy I have.

They told me that chemo affects everyone differently and to different levels. I can not imagine 3 years and what that must do to someone.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@Gaming-Planet:

I hear you brother, I did 6 months of chemo for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (Leukemias cousin) in 2012/2013, chemo-brain is a very real thing. I have never completely recovered from it, and I have not had the capacity for happiness that I used to have. Oncologists can say what they will, but some of that stuff passes the blood/brain barrier. However, it did save my life. By the way, I will vouch for Lumosity helping with chemobrain, it worked for me.

That being said, I have had pain in the spleen and bstomach (left middle abdomen) area, couple inches below the rib cage since chemo, and the last tests revealed anemia and blood in my digestive system, iron and B12 are fine. Checking for colon cancer and slow bleeding ulcer next. Oh boy.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#26 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
@SOedipus said:

What ever happened to that medical student who made threads like these all the time? He should have some good tips.

sometimes i wonder if there is a matter of which their esoteric insights wont illuminate fully