Anyone familiar with Microsoft Security Essentials? I have an outdated Kaspersky

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eldubious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 eldubious
Member since 2010 • 128 Posts

I have an outdated version of Kaspersky 2009. And I'm staring at the microsoft security essentials page with a huge "download now" situated at the top.

I was wondering should I get it? Windows Automatic Updates always downloads and updates the latest fixes every month, but I don't even have the application!

If I do get it, should I uninstall Kaspersky or let them work together?

daddyboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 daddyboom
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts

I have it and I actually think it's pretty good for being a free anti-virus software. (If you have Windows that is) Also I've heard it's sometimes not a good idea to have multiple antivirus software of your computer, but I'm not entirely sure.

eldubious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eldubious
Member since 2010 • 128 Posts

Yeah I have Windows XP.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Microsoft Security Essentials is actually one of the best free anti-virus's you can download.
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

Also I've heard it's sometimes not a good idea to have multiple antivirus software of your computer

daddyboom
Actually it's not good to do that. So if you do, uninstall Kaspersky
MAILUR_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MAILUR_DAEMON
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
its decent, i used to have it, then i got AVG, which also has a basic free version that i think is better than MSSE. also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to couple MSSE with malwarebytes. since malwarebytes isn't running all the time it won't conflict with MSSE, just run malwarebytes if you think you have a problem that MSSE didn't pick up.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

I have an outdated version of Kaspersky 2009. And I'm staring at the microsoft security essentials page with a huge "download now" situated at the top.

I was wondering should I get it? Windows Automatic Updates always downloads and updates the latest fixes every month, but I don't even have the application!

If I do get it, should I uninstall Kaspersky or let them work together?

eldubious
It works well, but I prefer Avast's free anti virus. Definitely uninstall Kaspersky when you finally get a new antivirus.
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts
When Norton was outdated for me, I made this thread: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27241103&page=0 And yeah, I downloaded it. But don't uninstall Kaspersky. Wait until you have the money to upgrade it :3
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
[QUOTE="GHlegend77"]When Norton was outdated for me, I made this thread: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27241103&page=0 And yeah, I downloaded it. But don't uninstall Kaspersky. Wait until you have the money to upgrade it :3

Which one did you download? Your post is a little ambiguous. If his subscription has expired, then he needs get a new one now and uninstall Kaspersky. You don't want two Antivirus programs running, and you don't want be without a working antivirus prog.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Why not just get Comodo, Avast, or AVG, all of which have free options? And you shouldn't have two anti virus programmes running on the same computer.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

If you have W7 then you'll have the Microsoft Security stuff included. But I use the default Windows Firewall and Avast. Not had a single issue.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

According to AV-Comparatives' recent testing, Microsoft SE is actually one of the best AVs to use.