Anyone ever read "hard-core zen"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jkmetalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 jkmetalf
Member since 2005 • 775 Posts

I've read this book twice. I loved it both times. For those who have not read it is by a man by the name of brad warner, former punk rocker and now buddist priest (or something like that). Anyway, I know that there main conversation about religion on these boards is between outspoken atheists and outspoken christians. I just wanted to know if anyone here knew anything more about buddism? Now I'm no buddist my self but I love the idea's of their religion. If I had to pick a religion (and hell, maybe one day it will be buddism) that would be it.

So discussion for my thread of the night is this, first have you read this book (if not, no pressure, its kinda but no totally life changing. If your looking for something, like me, then I would suggest it as a place to look) secondly are there any buddists on this board. If so, how long have you been doing it and I would also be quite interested in reading more about this religion.

Third, for bonus round, your thoughts on why only atheists and christians ever make religion threads. My theory is those tend to be the most outspoken groups.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I have not read the book but I am extremely well informed about Buddhism and consider myself to be one. So I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.
Cerussite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Cerussite
Member since 2007 • 3084 Posts
Well, you could start by spelling Buddhist correctly.
Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts

Well, you could start by spelling Buddhist correctly. Cerussite

Epic lulz.

jkmetalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jkmetalf

I have not read the book but I am extremely well informed about Buddhism and consider myself to be one. So I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.
foxhound_fox

Awesome. Do you do the zazen (correct spelling?) everyday? You probably have a teacher right?

jkmetalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jkmetalf

Well, you could start by spelling Buddhist correctly. Cerussite

Yeah. I know, its late and I've been up a long, long time. 4 college classes in one day 18 credits+job on campus. I do my best to make the lulz happen.

Cerussite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cerussite
Member since 2007 • 3084 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I have not read the book but I am extremely well informed about Buddhism and consider myself to be one. So I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.
jkmetalf

Awesome. Do you do the zazen (correct spelling?) everyday? You probably have a teacher right?

That's only if you're a Zen Buddhist...
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 foxhound_fox
Awesome. Do you do the zazen (correct spelling?) everyday? You probably have a teacher right? jkmetalf

Well, I am not exactly a practicing Buddhist. I follow the general philosophy and have yet to delve into any of the meditation practices of any sect. Zazen is a term from Zen Buddhism, there are many different sects of Buddhism, all of which have differing "views" on the Buddha's teachings.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
Sounds like a good book. I Wikipedia'ed Brad Warner, and it kind of says the book talks about the Hardcore movement? If so, I would love this book because I like reading punk and Hardcore punk literature. (UP THE PUNKS)
TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts

Yes, I have in fact read it. It's a very good book, and I highly recommend it to anyone, regardless if you're interested in zen or not.

jkmetalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jkmetalf

Sounds like a good book. I Wikipedia'ed Brad Warner, and it kind of says the book talks about the Hardcore movement? If so, I would love this book because I like reading punk and Hardcore punk literature. (UP THE PUNKS)TheGTAvaccine

There is a little bit about it in it, and more in his second book.

jkmetalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jkmetalf

[QUOTE="jkmetalf"]Awesome. Do you do the zazen (correct spelling?) everyday? You probably have a teacher right? foxhound_fox

Well, I am not exactly a practicing Buddhist. I follow the general philosophy and have yet to delve into any of the meditation practices of any sect. Zazen is a term from Zen Buddhism, there are many different sects of Buddhism, all of which have differing "views" on the Buddha's teachings.

Yeah, I remeber now. Which sect do you belong to?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Yeah, I remeber now. Which sect do you belong to? jkmetalf

I am still trying to discover what is "right" for me. I really don't think admission to a particular sect is really that important, it is whether or not you understand the Buddha's teachings, wish to arrive at nirvana and have complete compassion towards all living beings.
Avatar image for Fanboi_Roadkill
Fanboi_Roadkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fanboi_Roadkill
Member since 2006 • 203 Posts
No I haven't read it, but it sounds interesting. If your interested in Buddhist beliefs may I recommend an extremely amazing/important book: Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. It seriously is a life changing book.
jkmetalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jkmetalf

[QUOTE="jkmetalf"]Yeah, I remeber now. Which sect do you belong to? foxhound_fox

I am still trying to discover what is "right" for me. I really don't think admission to a particular sect is really that important, it is whether or not you understand the Buddha's teachings, wish to arrive at nirvana and have complete compassion towards all living beings.

What interested me about zen was the concept of no-self. That this person that you hold onto isn't you anymore because your in the here and now. I liked the concept of zazen, which as I understand it, helps you become more rooted in the persent, where you are, what your doing right now kind of thing.

As for nirvana, I have my doubts.

No I haven't read it, but it sounds interesting. If your interested in Buddhist beliefs may I recommend an extremely amazing/important book: Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. It seriously is a life changing book.Fanboi_Roadkill

I'll look into it thanks.