Anyone Else Tired of Revisiting the SW Prequel Trilogy?

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5934 Posts

Personally, I'm getting tired of going back to the prequel trilogy. I know some want to explore the Old Republic, but me, I've always wanted to get more into post-Return of the Jedi. Too bad the sequel trilogy was absolute trash, but there is so much possibility.

Anyway, see topic question.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 45724 Posts

I don't understand the question TBH. Returning implies it's being forced.

With the poor reception the prequels received, Disney done everything humanly possible to move away from it, with the Sequels playing it as safe as they could basically remaking the original trilogy, rather badly and generally pretty soulless compared to the prequels. They are hated far more, some legit, some of it embarrassing politically toxic nonsense, about space wizards.

In the case of the final season of The Clone Wars it was primarily unfinished content that was scrapped during the Disney takeover. With a few arcs still unfinished. Dark Disciple was made in book form before Disney renewed it for a final season. The Ahsoka novel was retconned, made without foresight of show getting a proper ending.

A few books in canon jump to the Clone Wars (Thrawn: Alliance) but it's a flashback sequence in conjunction with the pre-TOS setting where Thrawn encounters Anakin during that period contrasted with dealing with Vader, with him basically knowing who he actually is.

Mandalorian takes place after ROTJ. Bad Batch takes place immediately after Order 66 with The Empire forming. It can arguably still be called Prequel era.

There is a fairly wide gap between ROTS, TOS and the sequels so a lot of content gets created within the spaces of those timelines.

There is also "World Between Worlds" introduced in Rebels which is basically time travel where plot lines can be altered.

If you look the Ahsoka logo, very clearly that.

Loading Video...

I don't think Old Republic is cannon at all any more. Disney have been focusing on High Republic, which has been basically spammed with political nonsense from weirdo right-wing types.

That doesn't mean it can't exist. As mentioned they reintroduced Thrawn so nothing stopping them introducing it in video games, movies etc...

The main thing for the time being will probably be Thrawn or "The Son", The Son was originally to be used in the movies but general audience wouldn't have known who he was so they recycled Palpatine.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

I grew up with the prequel trilogy premiering on cinemas so I liked them and still do. Sure, Hayden is a gold mine meme-wise but I still get immersed in those movies nevertheless 😆

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 50220 Posts

My concern is they're not going back far enough. I'm not sure how the canon is now with Revan and the Old Republic, but the Old Republic goes back like 3000 years before the Battle of Yavin.

The High Republic, on the other hand, takes place only 200 years before the Battle of Yavin.

Old Republic is so, so, so rich with lore both canon and non-canon I just feel it is a wasted opportunity, but for better or worse (worse, says I!) they don't like to make Star Wars material that isn't more than two degrees of separation away from a Skywalker. SW Rebels, arguably the best SW content available (better than the movies imo), has Vader in it at one point and it was for the most part Skywalker-free.

High Republic would probably find a way to get a Skywalker in there. Great great great grandparent or something that was the first Skywalker jedi or something. I don't know.

Now....with all that said....I Really don't have a problem with the conventional Star Wars content that exists within a few years of the Start Wars movies. I would love a Thrawn series or movie/s, for example, as he is one of the best non-force using characters in the franchise (read the comics about him, he is a straight up savage).

@uninspiredcup said:

I don't understand the question TBH. Returning implies it's being forced.

With the poor reception the prequels received, Disney done everything humanly possible to move away from it, with the Sequels playing it as safe as they could basically remaking the original trilogy, rather badly and generally pretty soulless compared to the prequels. They are hated far more, some legit, some of it embarrassing politically toxic nonsense, about space wizards.

In the case of the final season of The Clone Wars it was primarily unfinished content that was scrapped during the Disney takeover. With a few arcs still unfinished. Dark Disciple was made in book form before Disney renewed it for a final season. The Ahsoka novel was retconned, made without foresight of show getting a proper ending.

A few books in canon jump to the Clone Wars (Thrawn: Alliance) but it's a flashback sequence in conjunction with the pre-TOS setting where Thrawn encounters Anakin during that period contrasted with dealing with Vader, with him basically knowing who he actually is.

Mandalorian takes place after ROTJ. Bad Batch takes place immediately after Order 66 with The Empire forming. It can arguably still be called Prequel era.

There is a fairly wide gap between ROTS, TOS and the sequels so a lot of content gets created within the spaces of those timelines.

There is also "World Between Worlds" introduced in Rebels which is basically time travel where plot lines can be altered.

If you look the Ahsoka logo, very clearly that.

I don't think Old Republic is cannon at all any more. Disney have been focusing on High Republic, which has been basically spammed with political nonsense from weirdo right-wing types.

That doesn't mean it can't exist. As mentioned they reintroduced Thrawn so nothing stopping them introducing it in video games, movies etc...

The main thing for the time being will probably be Thrawn or "The Son", The Son was originally to be used in the movies but general audience wouldn't have known who he was so they recycled Palpatine.

I think Disney wants to cover new territory, or lesser-known characters, a bit more, while remaining in a familiar setting. That's likely why they want to go High Republic, because it's old but not too old.

I hope they do....and don't.

More Ahsoka is always a good thing; she is one of my favorite characters of all time, just a great and fascinating person top to bottom, start to finish. She has ties to just about everything and everyone to one extent or another in the "current" Star Wars lore, being around for key battles and forming important connections before, during, and after the movies.

Truth be told, I don't really care as long as they keep the quality on par or better than The Mandalorian, Rebels, the last season of Clone Wars, and so on.

Ironic, really, that the Star Wars series are [imo] the best SW content while most of the movies are the worst.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12059 Posts

Personally the prequel trilogy up till pre 4th movie does have more interesting action oriented stories compared to all the movie related timelines. I mean in the prequel trilogy its basically 2 intergalactic empires at war, fall of the republic and that makes for a much more interesting backdrop and stories to tell compared to others.

I dont think anyone is up for Sequel trilogy story continuation and tie ins. Rey Skywalker and whatever happened in those movies must be purged from existence.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 45724 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Yes. Vastly prefer the TV shows, specifically animated. Clone Wars properly executes what George Lucas was going for. Rebel captures the mysticism elements of the original trilogy and Bad Batch, while a few initial so-so episodes is developing into something nice and generally has a far more solid first season thus far than either CW or R, or Mando for that matter.

Must admit, not the biggest Mandalorian fan. I like it, it's good, but don't love it. Basically love "The Jedi" because Ahsoka is in it. That's kind of it.

The Thrawn books are great. A lot of people were angry the legacy (Heir To The Empire) books were retconned, but these rebooted books are great in their own right and fit in well with the continuity. Although there does seem to be a slight discrepancy between Thrawn in the books and Rebels.

In the books he's more an anti-hero interested in Chiss affairs. A mix of Spock and Sherlock Holmes. In Rebels series he's closer to Heir To The Empire.

-

Think one of the biggest issues with the sequel is that it constantly undermines its villains and uses humour in all the wrong places. And generally, it's just not funny.

Like, the opening scene of Force Awakens, this is the introduction to the new trilogy, right?

We get Obi-One style dialogue, from a bunch of shit we haven't seen, from a character we don't know or care about. And never see again.

And then 2 seconds later after killing him we get funny wunny jokes about his voice undermining the whole scene under the impression we are watching a MCU movie.

Like it's flat, Don't give a shit about what's going on. Villain is getting mocked within the opening 5 minutes.

Ahhhh! but SNOKE! Is the real villain.

Ha! Right.

And then compare that with the third episode of Bad Batch where we see proto-Storm Troopers. This show is very light, borderline Disney princess at times, but when it changes tone to heavy it works.

Loading Video...

And then Hux, probably the worst character. Rey sucks ass, most of the characters do, but this guy... Get the impression whoever wrote this shit seems to have the idea all the villains should be pathetic incel reddit users in space as opposed to like... intimidating? A threat?

Loading Video...

And then compare that to Thrawn, the voice, the wonderful dialogue. Just miles better.

Loading Video...

Shit, even Palpatine is used better. Voiced by Ian McDiarmid acting as temptation as opposed to some end boss JRPG fight where they abuse the shit out of Phoenix down.

Donno just prefer animation personally. The "Filoni verse" whatever want to call it. Prequels like as well, worts and all. Happily rewatch ROTS over and over. Happily, never watch the sequels ever again.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 561 Posts

I would like to see the time period between Return and Awakens fleshed out in the same way that clone wars and rebels fleshed out the prequel and post prequel era. If any time period in the Star Wars timeline needs more elaboration it is the post Return era. Even if it were animated, a series with the original characters or whole new characters could do a lot to mitigate the messy sequels.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Sancho_Panzer  Online
Member since 2015 • 1782 Posts

I've only seen the original trilogy. I feel like the newer stuff has been pushed way too hard, to the point that it's really irritating to hear about and puts me off even rewatching the first three films.