Anyone else miss the days when people weren't on their phone all the time?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

I don't like seeing people glued to their phone constantly. I'm sure it makes them happy and I'm all for that, but I still can't help but be bugged by it. I remember a time before "smart" phones came along and it wasn't like that. I miss those days.

What about you? Are you one of the many people who are always on their phone or not?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Stranger_36: I'm reading this on phone now :)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Stranger_36 said:

I don't like seeing people glued to their phone constantly. I'm sure it makes them happy and I'm all for that, but I still can't help but be bugged by it. I remember a time before "smart" phones came along and it wasn't like that. I miss those days.

What about you? Are you one of the many people who are always on their phone or not?

Hmm, not really since them being on or off the phone has never had a impact on me and my travels.

But it is fun to see how much it has changed in the last 10 years , from almost noone to everyone and their cat thanks to smartphones and Facebook.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Yeah, I do. And I'm in my early twenties.

I'm glad that it's given so many folks - especially in 3rd world countries - access to more information, but it's also depressing to see so many folks on their screens all. The. Damn. Time.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I miss not walking into people while there staring and walking at there phone. These days they look at you to say. WTF why arnt you on your phone and its your fault for walking into me as your one paying attention.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's bad enough when they take their sweet time crossing at an intersection because they're nose deep into their smartphones. I splashed one with puddle water after he made me wait.

He was going to get pissed off at me. But then, someone in another car behind me yelled something at him. That got his attention instead.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Absolutely agree with TC.

And when I'm spending time with a woman, that would be a huge turnoff if she even had it on. It can be put aside for an evening. Back in the day, we actually concentrated on being with the person we were with at the time.

Avatar image for jaysummonsdemons
Jaysummonsdemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Jaysummonsdemons
Member since 2016 • 82 Posts

it bugs me a lot lol. I avoid my phone as much as possible. the worst is when you're playing a game and people get mad that you dont answer instantly <.>

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk

@AFBrat77 said:

Absolutely agree with TC.

And when I'm spending time with a woman, that would be a huge turnoff if she even had it on. It can be put aside for an evening. Back in the day, we actually concentrated on being with the person we were with at the time.

Wait what? if you are on a date and she uses her phone, then my bet is that it's not because the date is going great :D

I have never been on a date and have her use her phone during the evening unless it was for entering my phonenumber :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

It use to bother me hanging out with people who would be on their phone the whole time. Now I realize it's like a defense mechanism. Most people on their phone are shy.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

I agree, and it's probably going to get even worse. in the near future.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I barely see people on the smartphone as it is, at most I see people use it on the bus stops, but never when walking on the streets. Unless they are playing Pokemon Go, which isnt anywhere near as popular as it used to be.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I see plenty of deformed people all the time. Either they are actually talking on the phone nonstop or they are texting someone. Damn plastic and electronics growing out of hands and stuck to ears.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Maroxad said:

I barely see people on the smartphone as it is, at most I see people use it on the bus stops, but never when walking on the streets. Unless they are playing Pokemon Go, which isnt anywhere near as popular as it used to be.

They have plenty here, especially after school for K-12.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@Maroxad said:

Where are you based? because i can´t remember the last time i've not seen anyone without a smartphone plastered to their hands walking or driving.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

Get off my lawn.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maroxad

@Jacanuk said:
@Maroxad said:

Where are you based? because i can´t remember the last time i've not seen anyone without a smartphone plastered to their hands walking or driving.

Karlskrona, Sweden.

When going out shopping, I see far more people holding a dog leash than I see people holding a smartphone.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Yeah. It's so bizarre when you're on the outside looking in (I have a dumb phone). You realize the severity of addiction people have w/ their phones.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad

I seriously suspect this whole issue is mostly exaggerated.

And when waiting for something, the only thing that changed was the device.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@Stranger_36: One of my pet hates is the large number of people who start their cars in parking lots, turn on their lights and then just sit there staring at their 'phones. (Presumably, they're checking their maps or something.)

Other drivers wanting to pass are likely to assume that the person is about to reverse out of the parking and wait ... and wait ... and wait for nothing.

Sh*t. They're comparable to those idiots who stand at pedestrian crossings without intending to cross.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

I don't care about how people choose to live their lives.

It is their existence they can do what they want with it short of harming others.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I generally miss more that you didn't need to be reachable at all times, and it was fine. Compared to now when friends seem to go haywire if I don't talk or reply back to them for a day.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I don't mind if people want to be on their phones, but there is a time for it and a time not for it.

Times for it:

• Passing the time while you're in a waiting room
  • A passenger in a vehicle
  • Sitting quietly in a park or on a bench waiting for a bus
  • Replying to a text or answering/making a phone call (while you're NOT driving)
  • And such similar instances

Times not to use it or places you shouldn't use it:

• Standing in line while waiting for food at places such as Chipotle - I get to read so many stupid posts on someone's facebook or their sick, twisted text messages it's very amusing. If the person tends to ignore the folks behind the counter or are slow to respond, I'll pipe up about their phone conversation and boy oh boy, do people get really embarrassed about it. They tend to get off the phone quick and actually pay attention to the people trying to wait on them.
  • Driving - seriously! What in the fucking world is that important that you have to stare at your phone while you're driving? Anyone caught doing this should have their license pulled and barred from obtaining it ever again
  • Around other people when you should be socializing. You're there face to face - unless it is an absolute emergency, you should not be on your phone. If you're not storing someone's number or adding some kind of reminder to your calendar for a future date/get together, put your god damn phone away.
  • In bed with your significant other. Get the F off the phone and pay attention to your significant other. Facebook is not that important.
  • Talking loudly and having the receiver volume up so loud that people around you can hear both sides of the conversation. If the place you're at is too loud to have a normal conversation, your phone call will be no different. Go some place quieter so you're not yelling on your phone and the person you're talking with on the other end can't be heard by everyone around you.

One of the more irritating ones I see are the parents that pull up to school to drop their young kids off and they have the phone already in the hand and in their face while pulling into parking spots. Then they sit there for (I've seen it this long before) 5+ minutes playing on their phone before they get out and get their kids out. Then the parent comes back to the car and sits there for another chunk of time playing on their phone.

Or, how about the kindergarten aged kids up through 5th grade, at least 1/4 of all the elementary aged kids I see are walking into school with a phone in their face as they text or play games....then when I pick my daughter up these kids are on iPads and cell phones playing games and texting. My daughter keeps telling me she needs a smart phone and I ask her why (she's 8, by the way). She says so she can call us if she needs to or if she needs to look something up for school online....yeah, fat chance. I tell her I have a perfectly fine phone (not smart phone) that she can have for emergency use to call mom/dad or even 911. She doesn't want that kind of phone.....

Usually while standing in line somewhere, roughly 2/3 of the people in line have their phones out. They can't seem to function properly without constantly checking their phone. This is pretty much in the age bracket of teen to late 20s (maybe early 30s).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

not at all; people are less inclined to talk to me now, and that is just fine with me.

The exception, of course, is at the cost of good manners. Don't answer your phone when you're already talking to someone, don't get on your phone when you're eating at the table or in a more formal social setting (Christmas with relatives, etc), don't spend time on the phone when you're around old relatives, and so forth. Just use a little common sense, courtesy, and respect is all.

I do worry about the need for some people, specifically whatever generation makes up these late teens to late-20s right now, to be on their phones at all times. Like, they really can't just space out or daydream or wait patiently? You know, live in their head for an hour or two?

Hell, I am 32 years old (not old); you know what my friend and I did when we waited for our mom to pick us up from the movie theater when we were kids? We'd sit on the sidewalk and throw pebbles and a manhole cover to see who could get closest to the middle. Now THAT'S how you kill time, sonny boy! If we were kids these days, we wouldn't know how to kill time like that or compete with eachother because we'd just sit next to each other and use our phones.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yes. I hate repeating myself after realizing the person I'm talking to is staring at their phone and not listening to me at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Why should I care if someone is reading a newspaper or a phone while waiting for a train, bus or whatever? Either way they haven't got anything to do with me.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Maroxad said:

I seriously suspect this whole issue is mostly exaggerated.

And when waiting for something, the only thing that changed was the device.

We'd have to go all the way back to a time before newspapers were around.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

What do you care what other people do? All that changed is the device. Whether you read a physical newspaper like your grandparents or watch you phone, what's the big difference?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Yep, its over done. I can understand one wanting to keep up with news, friends, ect. But to be constantly glued and not enjoy other things around you, the beauty of the world is missed.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts
@thehig1 said:

@Stranger_36: I'm reading this on phone now :)

I'm reading this on my computer =)

@playmynutz said:

It use to bother me hanging out with people who would be on their phone the whole time. Now I realize it's like a defense mechanism. Most people on their phone are shy.

I really noticed that in college. Which is when smartphones started becoming more commonplace for my age. People sat down, probably look around briefly. Then quickly retreated to their phones, usually to text others. And this was before social media really exploded. With hashtags and trending topics. Which also forced all newspaper and news outlets, to go digital to stay relevant.

And for me to be fair, I will say its even harder nowadays to not use your phone. As its multipurpose functions have only grown and improved. But losing the ability to talk and interact with the person in front of you. Can be very socially damaging beyond shyness as one can imagine.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

I'm going to miss the days when the president isn't a racist buffoon with bad combover.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thehig1

@jak42: I said it to annoy the OP he sounds like a real life member berry.

Remember chubacca ?

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jak42

@thehig1: Oh I caught on to that. Just was having a little fun too.

I don't know who is chubacca. Haven't been on Gamespot that long.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thehig1

@jak42: it's a south park reference

Worth a shot to see if anyone twigged onto it

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jak42

@thehig1: Found it on YT. Pretty funny.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thehig1

@jak42: I member

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@skipper847:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

In general, no. It can be annoying in certain situations like while in line at a store/restaurant, at the movies, in mid conversation or during coitus.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Oh and it doesn't effect me but when I see people at concerts with their phones out it blows my mind. They are so concerned with recording the experience that they miss the actual experience.

Like, Explosions in the Sky are on fucking stage, touching my soul with their ethereal sounds and you're worried about the focus of your video. WHAT ARE YOU DOING

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@Jacanuk:

I have never had someone whip out the phone on a date with me either, but that would be unacceptable and I'm sure it happens to people because people can't stay off the frickin phone, you just don't disrespect someone who is treating you out....enjoy the moment or say you want to go home.