Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

The logan and Jake paul brothers(and their creep dad), fousey, ice poseidion, and all the big youtubers are all cringe in their own right. But pewdiepie is so obnoxious imo, but he seems to be everywhere. His videos are literally the most basic cookie cutter guy ever say very obvious things and then tell "jokes" in a painfully tongue and cheek way. I just cant get into it, I feel like his vids are for people that take the internet too serious. Its like a sad talk show....pewdiepie looks like a janky conan o brien clone.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7202 Posts

I never got the appeal either. Not that funny, interesting, or insightful. I don't hate him, but I'm surprised how popular his is (or was anyway).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58643 Posts

Yep, aimed at teens though.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@Mercenary848 said:

Anyone else find Pewdiepie really lame.

Literally everyone over the age of 20.

I'm older, but I keep up with culture and trends. Newer music doesn't sound like noise to me even if I'm not a fan of all of it. There are trends and activities that don't necessarily appeal to me, but I can see how someone else might enjoy them.

However, the mind-numbing popularity of PewDiePie is the first thing where I feel like there is a true generational gap. I don't get it at all.

-Byshop

Rentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Rentos
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

Entertainers grow with their viewer base and fans acquiring some dialect features over the years, and you can clearly see that in pewdiepie, or ninja on twitch.

The manner in which they speak reflects the ironic act and view and that's how a lot of their viewers think anyhow, that's my opinion though

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mercenary848

@Byshop said:
@Mercenary848 said:

I'm older, but I keep up with culture and trends. Newer music doesn't sound like noise to me even if I'm not a fan of all of it. There are trends and activities that don't necessarily appeal to me, but I can see how someone else might enjoy them.

However, the mind-numbing popularity of PewDiePie is the first thing where I feel like there is a true generational gap. I don't get it at all.

-Byshop

Same dude, I really like to keep my foot in all new media(I actually know a lot of this youtube stuff because I am starting a channel). But Pewdie is the top dog right now and the one that you kind of cant get away from. I feel like theneedledrop is an example of someone who does it right. Good content, own identity, doesn't take himself so seriously that its cringe, but isn't so heavily reliant on irony.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@Mercenary848 said:
@Byshop said:
@Mercenary848 said:

-Byshop

Same dude, I really like to keep my foot in all new media(I actually know a lot of this youtube stuff because I am starting a channel). But Pewdie is the top dog right now and the one that you kind of cant get away from. I feel like theneedledrop is an example of someone who does it right. Good content, own identity, doesn't take himself so seriously that its cringe, but isn't so heavily reliant on irony.

The guy who wrote "John Dies at the End" said something in the Cracked podcast that clicked. He said that a generational gap isn't looking at something younger people are doing and not liking it. It's looking at something younger people are doing and it's so baffling to you that anyone would ever want to do it that you lack the language skills to even know where to begin to explain to them how wrong they are. It's like if the new trend were Millennials started eating sandwiches full of spiders.

-Byshop

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mercenary848

@Byshop said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@Byshop said:
@Mercenary848 said:

-Byshop

The guy who wrote "John Dies at the End" said something in the Cracked podcast that clicked. He said that a generational gap isn't looking at something younger people are doing and not liking it. It's looking at something younger people are doing and it's so baffling to you that anyone would ever want to do it that you lack the language skills to even know where to begin to explain to them how wrong they are. It's like if the new trend were Millennials started eating sandwiches full of spiders.

-Byshop

Thats a great way of looking at it. Especially these days with how fast things go. Rap is completely different every 4 months for example. I look at it this way, if you are a content creator or artist now is the best time to do it. Quality Cameras and recording equipment are easier to get then ever(the big thing that seperated studios from guys like us years ago) and with social media you can get to your target audience so much quicker. If you follow the new trends its a gold mine, which is how average losers like pewdepie blew up.....he just did it first.

randomHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 randomHALT
Member since 2006 • 141 Posts

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@Mercenary848:

YouTube culture in general is obnoxious.

Hard to find genuine people amongst the forced personas.

So many stupid kids who’ve suddenly found they have influence and power out of nowhere and don’t know how to behave.

Like, literally lack the social skills of human interaction and the means to conduct oneself (why they very often flip out and knee jerk rage at people)

Hence why so many of them are hypocritical attention seekers who end up going too far, f*cking up, “apologising”, and then making all of the same mistakes five minutes later.

Utter melons.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

@mistervulpes said:

@Mercenary848:

My YT is filled with things like SciShow, Linus Tech Tips, Kurzgesagt, Minute Physics, Vsauce, Numberphile, etc. Plenty of genuine, honest-to-goodness entertaining people.

Youtube is what you make of it. If your suggestions are filled with shit, it's because you keep watching shit.

To each their own.

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@br0kenrabbit:

Yeh that’s correct.

Maybe my point was poorly constructed. As a platform YouTube can do a lot of good.

But few other massive platforms have such a low barrier for entry. The accessibility is a double edged sword. YouTube offers people with next to no skills and toxic personalities access to the tools to create huge followings of impressionable people.

It’s a price to pay but it could be said that it’s worth it. I’m talking about a particular sect of YouTube. These people don’t pop up on my suggestions, they’re just the ones that crop up in the popular zeitgeist.

Scum like the Paul brothers etc.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

He's insufferable.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mercenary848

@br0kenrabbit said:
@mistervulpes said:

@Mercenary848:

My YT is filled with things like SciShow, Linus Tech Tips, Kurzgesagt, Minute Physics, Vsauce, Numberphile, etc. Plenty of genuine, honest-to-goodness entertaining people.

Youtube is what you make of it. If your suggestions are filled with shit, it's because you keep watching shit.

To each their own.

If any sub culture has a meme attached to it then pewdiepie will pop up.

Avatar image for asnakeneverdies
asnakeneverdies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 asnakeneverdies
Member since 2016 • 3765 Posts

@mistervulpes: Oh, it's totally worth it! However scary it might be to access YouTube after flushing one's cookies, MisterVulpes. ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts

One of the original reasons I installed a channel blocker for youtube.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

I'm a millennial (I think, the internet says so) and I've never heard of that or seen it, a spider is an animal or something you drink (soda and a scoop of ice-cream served on top).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Nope. I am liking his new original content.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

He's a cool guy, but you can clearly tell how he overreacts when he starts screaming and swearing in his native tongue. It's like, the complete opposite of being natural. Yeah he can be a bit rambunctious, but his jokes aren't always immature, admittedly I do groan sometimes though at some things he says. I like that he plays a wide variety of "horror" games. And he's Swedish by the way, which explains the occasionally goofy pronunciations. But I never sub to his channel before and no plains to do so. I have several YouTubers I enjoy following are:

• JayzTwoCents
  • Hardware Unboxed
  • Tech Deals
  • Bitwit
  • Andre "Black Nerd"
  • Digital Foundry
  • Joker Production
  • Jim Sterling
  • Screw Attack
  • Angry Joe Show
  • MKIceAndFire

Just like @br0kenrabbit said, Youtube is what you make of it, nothing more/less. But the one's I follow do have some good content depending on what the subject is, but for me, I do love PC Tech content, gaming related, and anime/sci-fi/cartoon/movies you name it.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

I never followed that shit. Some of my friends would talk about the drama on there and I would have no idea what they were talking about. For the better, I think. I listen to Philip Defranco but whenever he starts talking about youtubers, I'm done with the video. I either close it or zone out.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

I don't get the point of a lot of youtube "celebraties" tbh. Sure there are some informative and entertaining sites.......but they usually aren't the popular ones.

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#23  Edited By bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

100% Cringe. Would never watch him. He caters to 12 year olds.

I don't watch any Youtube or Twitch "personalities." I just want to watch someone the game being played, preferably without seeing someone's face on the screen the entire time.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

No not really. I don't watch him. I've seen some here and there and he seems like quite the regular, pretty immature young gamer. A pretty normal person, I'd say.

leafs_ducks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 leafs_ducks
Member since 2005 • 2881 Posts

yup, watch a few videos of his a few years back to see what all the fuss was about.

couldn't stand him. I still can't believe hes one of the highest paid youtubers of all time.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Im not too much into pranksters - I am more of a stand comedy kinda guy, but I find Pewdiepie incredibly obnoxious and annoying.

I seem to like TimothyDelaghetto, Lance Stewart + EpicFiveTv. Those guys are particularly my top 3.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mercenary848

@LJS9502_basic said:

I don't get the point of a lot of youtube "celebraties" tbh. Sure there are some informative and entertaining sites.......but they usually aren't the popular ones.

I think its because there is a lot less separation almost to the point they dont even seem like stars. You may love your favorite movie star like Johnny depp but you will never meet him. With a youtube star he might like or reply to your comment, most of them talk directly to their fans through live streaming etc.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I think its because there is a lot less separation almost to the point they dont even seem like stars. You may love your favorite movie star like Johnny depp but you will never meet him. With a youtube star he might like or reply to your comment, most of them talk directly to their fans through live streaming etc.

LOL they aren't stars. Just people with the internet and too much time on their hands.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@davillain- said:

He's a cool guy, but you can clearly tell how he overreacts when he starts screaming and swearing in his native tongue. It's like, the complete opposite of being natural.

I've always enjoyed him swearing in Swedish. Really made his Dark Souls videos fun.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Queenzflip is hilarious as well, I think he should be a lot more popular than he is right now.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

B... but he makes millions so he must be a super creative talented mega genius!!! Obviously he's waaaaaay smarter than Einstein. I mean Einstein didn't make that much money did he?

It's kinda like children's tv programs - not palatable for adults but for 3 year olds it's the shit!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

I don't have any opinion on it whatsoever. I don't care.

@Byshop said:
@Mercenary848 said:

...However, the mind-numbing popularity of PewDiePie is the first thing where I feel like there is a true generational gap. I don't get it at all....

Same. I don't get it, and neither does literally anyone my age (I'm in my 30's).

I tried to understand it, but after 20-30 seconds I just got out of there, it makes no sense.

@thereal25 said:

B... but he makes millions so he must be a super creative talented mega genius!!! Obviously he's waaaaaay smarter than Einstein. I mean Einstein didn't make that much money did he?

It's kinda like children's tv programs - not palatable for adults but for 3 year olds it's the shit!

Let it be known that humanity has its priorities sorted out incredibly well...

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mercenary848

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

LOL they aren't stars. Just people with the internet and too much time on their hands.

A lot yes, but ones that get a huge base following(angryjoe is a good example) can become a major voice in whatever medium/genre their videos are aimed. Kind of interesting to see the state of different cultures based on how their representatives are treated. Angryjoe tends to use the typical gamer narrative, but once he strays then the death threats start.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I always have. I don't think I've ever watched any of his videos from beginning to end....

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

Pewdiepie is chill, no way like Fousey or the Loganoids.

He does exaggerates alot and makes fun of himself more often than not and thats a lot likable than the usual "LOOK AT ME, IM AWESOME AND GREAT" like alot of other popular youtubers. SJWs hate him a lot so thats a plus too lol

I only recently watched him couple months back and before that i held the same view most of you hold. My view reversed 180, hes entertaining while dropping a lot of truth bombs.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

I used to watch PewDiePie when I was younger. That was the time when he was still a great gaming youtuber but nowadays, I don't watch him anymore because I find his new vids not interesting.