Anyone been obsessed with a popular artist/band before?

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

So, I think this is something we can all relate to: an obsession with a particular artist or band.

For me, this happened pretty recently. Through my entire childhood and teenage years, I never had any particular taste towards a certain genre of music. Then, once I hit my 20s, I became reminiscent about Greek music, since those are the types of songs that reminded me of my youth.

One day, about a year ago, I stumbled upon a Greek artist called Padelis Padelidis. Initially, I just thought of him as a typically good Greek musician. The fact that he was self-made Youtube artist who wrote his own songs and lyrics only added to the admiration. Unfortunately, he died at the tender young age of just 32 in a car accident, where alcohol was involved. This was in 2016.

As time went on, I gradually began to listen to him more and more, until I finally realized that I just got stuck in good old fashioned "obsessed" territory for the first time. I now listen to his songs multiple times a day, and when they released a new single a few months ago, well, let's just say it was stuck on repeat for a few days straight.

What about you guys? Any artists who have made their mark on you? Any tips to get unstuck from this phase? As much as I love Padelidis, I figure there's so much more to discover and to know, so there's no sense staying stuck with the same artist for months on end.

Here's a short clip of him singing a song called Θυμαμαι (I remember)

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

I was obsessed with Tool in highschool. I thought Maynard James Keenan was a genius, and that Danny carry is the greatest metal drummer of all time, and I bought all of their CD's and some tshirts and posters for my room. Was a huge fan. Still am, it's just that they haven't released an album in over 10 years !

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

Enigma - music albums

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@darktower said:

I was obsessed with Tool in highschool. I thought Maynard James Keenan was a genius, and that Danny carry is the greatest metal drummer of all time, and I bought all of their CD's and some tshirts and posters for my room. Was a huge fan. Still am, it's just that they haven't released an album in over 10 years !

Tool, sweet band.

I was obsessed with Slayer, then Mastodon, and recently Lucuna Coil.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@genius2365:

I was obsessed with Offspring and Rob Zombie back in the late 90's and early 200's.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

When I was a teenager I was huge into Coldplay, System of a Down, and Daft Punk. I owned all of their albums. Those are really the only popular artists I was into, at any point. I don't like any of them anymore though.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#7 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I used to love The Cure. There was another user that loved FOB way back when. I'm not sure what was wrong with him.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I think obsession is too strong a word to apply to any of my experiences with music.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

I think obsession is too strong a word to apply to any of my experiences with music.

Same. I've barely even been to any live performances.

-Byshop

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I read title and assumed OP meant "before" they blew up -- in that case, I was pretty into Mr. 305 before he became Mr. Worldwide.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Hahaha....very funny FOB fan. Just for you...........

@SolidSnake35 said:

I used to love The Cure. There was another user that loved FOB way back when. I'm not sure what was wrong with him.

TOOLFRENZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 TOOLFRENZY
Member since 2004 • 571 Posts

In high school and into early twenties, it was all about Tool. Actually the circle of friends I hung with all listed to Tool and thought MJK was the second coming of christ, and that every lyric was a piece to the puzzle of life. He was it. Particularly during their Aenima and Lateralus days. Now at 33, I think back and I have to cringe a little. Still a great band, even though I haven't really looked back since mid 2000's :(

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@TOOLFRENZY said:

In high school and into early twenties, it was all about Tool. Actually the circle of friends I hung with all listed to Tool and thought MJK was the second coming of christ, and that every lyric was a piece to the puzzle of life. He was it. Particularly during their Aenima and Lateralus days. Now at 33, I think back and I have to cringe a little. Still a great band, even though I haven't really looked back since mid 2000's :(

Haha....reminds me of the past when OT was active and Tool fans got bent out of shape if someone didn't like them.

TOOLFRENZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TOOLFRENZY
Member since 2004 • 571 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

Oh god I remember. *cringe*

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

oh yes. too many to name. Neuropa, signal aout 42, collide, Evil's toy, third realm, sleepwalk, electro synthetic rebellion.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#16 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

@killered3: me too.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I never really became obsessed, but in the 80's I was all into punk simply because I had played out classic rock and the shit on the radio was all bubble-gummy. Goth was depressing, metal too angry, glam rock was just pure image over substance, modern country has always sucked, R&B is boring, rap was still in its novelty stage, and then there was punk.

Punk to me was the 'yeah, shit happens, whatever' genre. Light exposition, self-defacing social and cultural parody, astute observations and that 'yeah we suck but we're having fun' attitude just lit me up.

Jane's Addiction is probably the band I've ever been most into. Their combination of punk and early alt still sounds surprisingly modern. Their lyrics are quite expressive, which was a far cry from the shallow glam shit that was big at the time. While my classmates were blaring Dr. Feelgood and Paradise City from their car stereos I was getting down and mellowing out to stuff like this:

Loading Video...

I didn't select that video for the imagery. The actual video I wanted to post simply showed the cover of the Nothing's Shocking album, which has two topless women on the cover. Not sure that would get past the mods, so you get this video instead because the sound quality is decent.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7265 Posts

I was obsessed with Judas Priest in high school. Hence my username.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I remember in my junior high and early high school days I was obsessed with Pink Floyd. I always had my copies of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall in my backpack along with my CD player and was listening to them constantly at school.

I still like Pink Floyd, but not as much as I used to. As I got older, I branched out and tried out different stuff.

For awhile I've been obsessed 90's alternative rock, but in the last few years I've been trying to find some new stuff that rocks out just as much, but so far no luck.

I don't know, most modern bands these days just don't it for me, all the good stuff seems to be in the past.

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

Beside Tool, I was also obsessed with deftones for a long time, like wise I own all of those CD's and have s few t shirts. 2 of my fav bands easily, Alice In Chains top 3, was really into researching Layne Staley up until his death, his heroin habit and all - but thats about the extent of a single musician that really make me look at music differently.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Max Cavalera for a while...Sepultura and Soulfly. Wouldn't say obsessed or anything, but outside of Metallica and Pantera, I didn't really listen to metal, but his bands kind of led me deeper into the genre and I'm pretty thankful for that.

Don't really like Soulfly all that much now, kind of wonder what I was thinking back then, actually. But Sepultura is still awesome. Meh, Soulfly's Primitive album was all right.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

All of them if they're worth shit.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

It's been Primus and Elliott Smith lately

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

#24  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

The first band I became obsessed with was Green Day when I was in the fifth grade... I grew mostly tired of them after a few years but I still listen to some of their music to this day. But my appeal for other bands didn't fair as well... All American Rejects, Fall Out Boy, and to lesser extents Creed and Nickelback- though I partially blame the stigma of those last two on why I distanced myself from their music.

I suppose for the last few years or so my main obsession has been Nine Inch Nails. Sometimes it's almost all I want to listen to. Though my taste in music has opened up a bit over the years, I just don't find many artists whose music I consistently like very often.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

@killered3: Pretty solid choices! A bit before my generation, but I can appreciate good rock music when I hear it :)

Overall, I am seeing lots of rock bands being posted. Pretty awesome actually! Never knew about all these different bands.

Besides the greek singer I mentioned in my initial post, I also recently started getting into a rock group called Starset. It's some nice soft rock, pretty easy to listen too. On their most recent album, they transition between each song with some "transmissions" that include science theory explanations, like how the doppler effect works. Pretty cool! Here's a clip of one of their bigger songs:

Loading Video...

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Red hot chili peppers! For 2 years straight I just listened to their music every single day. Still love em, saw em at summerfest a few weeks back, but I'm a little older and don't listen to music as much anymore sadly. Nine inch nails for when I'm not feeling so hot, that new "less than" song is pretty good. Also really dig those Hotline Miami tracks.

TTLockerroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 TTLockerroom
Member since 2017 • 21 Posts

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines best song ever.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I

@LJS9502_basic said:

Hahaha....very funny FOB fan. Just for you...........

@SolidSnake35 said:

There they are. The five men that guided me through my teenage years...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Nope. Never been a music person. I do like music, just don't have much of a passion for it,

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#30 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I was obsessed with AC/DC since I was ten and being 43 now still love the band.