Any Guitarist out there?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

So ya I've been playing for like a year or so on my own, learned now avenged sevenfold songs and stuff but never really put my heart into learning. Just started lessons about 4 weeks ago. We passed through the beginners stuff like playing scales and learning chords. Now we're at the point when he asked me if i need to know anything or what i wanted to know. So i asked him how do i learn how to know what chords/scales/ melodies go with which. Then we got a lil into music theory like the 1-4-5 arpegio from a chord or something like that. Its something like 5+5=10, 2+8=10, 7+3=10 and once you get it, it just clicks. What I want to know is how long did it take for you to grasp music theory and figure out what goes with what.

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
I have a guitar....
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

ahhh.... music theory... I took music theory last year for fun... FUN...

What a fool I was... music theory is brutal, it takes years an years of study, practice, and practical usage to totally grasp all the concepts... however, the very basic stuff is easy to pick up...

Or you could be a super talent and just KNOW the stuff without any education...

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

I have a guitar....

Agent-Zero

...I have two guitars. I win.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]

I have a guitar....

Necrifer

...I have two guitars. I win.

I have 2 guitars and a bass so I win :P

To answer the question, I've never had lessons or had the chance to take any. I've always used tabs and just recently have begun trying to teach myself some music theory but it seems pretty tough so far

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

I am one. Been playing for three years so far.

Seajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Seajack
Member since 2011 • 365 Posts
I've been playing for a little over 10 years.
jaqulle999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaqulle999
Member since 2009 • 2897 Posts

I've have a guitar but im not all that great. Every time i start up lessons and get really into my teacher goes to college or something like that and i pretty much start over.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I never took lessons or learned music theory. I have been playing for like 10 years but I was never good enough to solo.

CattiJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 CattiJack
Member since 2005 • 130 Posts

I own a dozen! The music you're looking to learn is alot of one finger bar chords in drop D. With enough palm muting and economic picking to leave you thrashed. Their lead guitarist isn't as fabulous a player as you'd think. Sweeping, a skill which takes the utmost practice but in reality is just playing a chord slowly note per note, along with repeated identical arpeggios down the neck until it's over.

Don't put too much thought into things like theory when you first start playing. Your ear and muscle memory will get better each time you play, even if it's the same thing over and over. The more time you spend doing anything the greater a player you'll become. Instruments like bass and piano will look more and more familar as you grow.

There really isn't much to chords and scales except learning them. The more songs you learn you'll realize these tools are simple building blocks for amazing music.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

I own a dozen! The music you're looking to learn is alot of one finger bar chords in drop D. With enough palm muting and economic picking to leave you thrashed. Their lead guitarist isn't as fabulous a player as you'd think. Sweeping, a skill which takes the utmost practice but in reality is just playing a chord slowly note per note, along with repeated identical arpeggios down the neck until it's over.

Don't put too much thought into things like theory when you first start playing. Your ear and muscle memory will get better each time you play, even if it's the same thing over and over. The more time you spend doing anything the greater a player you'll become. Instruments like bass and piano will look more and more familar as you grow.

There really isn't much to chords and scales except learning them. The more songs you learn you'll realize these tools are simple building blocks for amazing music.

CattiJack
I agree, their lead guitarist is far from great, but hey it still sounds good and thats what counts lol. Anyway i have been playing for about a year now but i dont think i am going to be taking lessons anytime soon, im more of a "play guitar when i'm bored" kind of guy.
ultamite_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ultamite_gamer
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts
Guitarist is here.Guitarist say you learn theory to improve guitar skill and help skill in other music genre. Guitarist also say it took guitarist 1.5 to 2 year to gain true skill on guitar. Guitarist say to keep practice and not stop. Guitarist say bye.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

Thanks guitarist lol. But ya, i think i should just make stuff up in my head like riffs, harmonies, and choruses first and try applying them with a guitar. I just have trouble with what sounds go with what. One thing i really wanna do is have a nice rhythm going and have the 2nd guitar do some arpegios and stuff to make a harmony out of it.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I have an acoustic and electric guitar, but they're not my main instruments.
ultamite_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ultamite_gamer
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts

Thanks guitarist lol. But ya, i think i should just make stuff up in my head like riffs, harmonies, and choruses first and try applying them with a guitar. I just have trouble with what sounds go with what. One thing i really wanna do is have a nice rhythm going and have the 2nd guitar do some arpegios and stuff to make a harmony out of it.

Papadrach

Fine, i'll be serious here. Music theory will definetly help you to find out what notes make what scales, apegios and chords, also helps you find out what goes with what. Also realize that music theory is a theory, there is no true right or wrong. As you play more and more, you will think of more ideas and songs. This is great, just keep practicing and in time you will able to transfer what is in your head to playing and eventually recording it. For beginners, just try to get the root notes down and then figure out the chords. Find out what chord progression you have and what scales/arpeggios you think fit best. Add harmonies and anything else after. Here is all the chords for the major scales if you want it : D

C Major...- C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - B
G Major...- G - Am - Bm - C - D - Em - F#
D Major...- D - Em - F#m - G - A - Bm - C#
A Major...- A - Bm - C#m - D - E - F#m- G#
E Major...- E - F#m- G#m- A - B - C#m- D#
B Major...- B - C#m- D#m- E - F#- G#m- A#
F# Major - F#- G#m- A#m- B - C#- D#m- E#
C# Major - C#- D#m- E#m- F#- G#- A#m- B#

F Major...- F - Gm - Am - Bb- C - Dm - E
Bb scale - Bb- Cm - Dm - Eb- F - Gm - A
Eb scale - Eb- Fm - Gm - Ab- Bb- Cm - D
Ab scale - Ab- Bbm- Cm - Db- Eb- Fm - G
Db scale - Db- Ebm- Fm - Gb- Ab- Bbm- C
Gb scale - Gb- Abm- Bbm- Cb- Db- Ebm- F
Cb scale - Cb- Dbm- Ebm- Fb- Gb- Abm- Bb

Keep rocking the free world.

Alacoque72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Alacoque72
Member since 2008 • 1238 Posts

I got a cheap guitar and amp and played a bit almost every day for a couple months, but I don't really like it so I havn't touched it for like 2 weeks now

CattiJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 CattiJack
Member since 2005 • 130 Posts

[QUOTE="CattiJack"]

Nick3306

I agree, their lead guitarist is far from great, but hey it still sounds good and thats what counts lol. Anyway i have been playing for about a year now but i dont think i am going to be taking lessons anytime soon, im more of a "play guitar when i'm bored" kind of guy.

Oh by all means they do sound very good. Criticizing any form of music is beneath me, the point I was going across was just from a long time player over speculating someone elses technique. In the end it's all the same for every player, but the lead guitarist for Avenged Sevenfold shouldn't be praised as an utmost guitar genius.

MiloZEgamer34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 MiloZEgamer34
Member since 2010 • 589 Posts

[QUOTE="Nick3306"][QUOTE="CattiJack"]

CattiJack

Oh by all means they do sound very good. Criticizing any form of music is beneath me, the point I was going across was just from a long time player over speculating someone elses technique. In the end it's all the same for every player, but the lead guitarist for Avenged Sevenfold shouldn't be praised as an utmost guitar genius.

play bass guitar in two rockbands
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nick3306
What i basically do is, if i want to say come up with my own riff or something, I usually just sit there and play and see what sounds good then peice it together. It might not be easier but i think its more fun that way.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
C Major...- C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - B G Major...- G - Am - Bm - C - D - Em - F# D Major...- D - Em - F#m - G - A - Bm - C# A Major...- A - Bm - C#m - D - E - F#m- G# E Major...- E - F#m- G#m- A - B - C#m- D# B Major...- B - C#m- D#m- E - F#- G#m- A# F# Major - F#- G#m- A#m- B - C#- D#m- E# C# Major - C#- D#m- E#m- F#- G#- A#m- B# F Major...- F - Gm - Am - Bb- C - Dm - E Bb scale - Bb- Cm - Dm - Eb- F - Gm - A Eb scale - Eb- Fm - Gm - Ab- Bb- Cm - D Ab scale - Ab- Bbm- Cm - Db- Eb- Fm - G Db scale - Db- Ebm- Fm - Gb- Ab- Bbm- C Gb scale - Gb- Abm- Bbm- Cb- Db- Ebm- F Cb scale - Cb- Dbm- Ebm- Fb- Gb- Abm- Bbultamite_gamer
All the vii chords should be diminished chords, not major chords.
Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

I agree. I hate theory. So what I do is just not learn it :lol:

But I'm a rather casual player (Even though I've been playing for 5 years), so I might not be giving the best advice. I just play for fun.

But if you really want to become good at scales and such, the best thing to do is simple practise.

ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

I play. I have written some simple riffs of my own. I've played for a couple years and love it. BTW is it rare when someone can play a guitar scale better when going backwards rather than forward?

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts
I'm only in middle school, I haven't gotten into music theory yet. :(
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nick3306

I agree. I hate theory. So what I do is just not learn it :lol:

But I'm a rather casual player (Even though I've been playing for 5 years), so I might not be giving the best advice. I just play for fun.

But if you really want to become good at scales and such, the best thing to do is simple practise.

Cheesehead9099
I am basically the same as you, except i have only been playing for a year. i dont really ever plan on learning theory.
MiloZEgamer34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MiloZEgamer34

I cant stand theory it makes me go crazy. In my highschool they make you take it.. :(

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

You don't really need to grasp anything anymore.

You can pull up a list of chords that sound melodic in any Key you want and write your own song in seconds.

Yea, you can sit down and figure out that Pentatonic Scales take the 1st, 3rd and 5th note of each scale... or you can just memorize the Pentatonic Scales/Modes in your head and just play them at any key.

Same with chords - hell bar chords let you play anywhere you want.

Guitar is super easy to learn IMO. The hard part about playing guitar is trying to come up with unique sounds and styles.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

4 years playing, 2+ years of music theory and now developing speed just to cover classical violin solos and paul gilbert stuff.

MiloZEgamer34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MiloZEgamer34

You don't really need to grasp anything anymore.

You can pull up a list of chords that sound melodic in any Key you want and write your own song in seconds.

Yea, you can sit down and figure out that Pentatonic Scales take the 1st, 3rd and 5th note of each scale... or you can just memorize the Pentatonic Scales/Modes in your head and just play them at any key.

Same with chords - hell bar chords let you play anywhere you want.

Guitar is super easy to learn IMO. The hard part about playing guitar is trying to come up with unique sounds and styles.

Netherscourge
totally agree with that.
staticxtreme27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 staticxtreme27
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

I've been playing for about 12 years now, started when I was 8. My best advice is to just use your ears and get a good feel for the guitar. Your ears know what is good, trust them. Besides, if you really learn to feel the notes, and you know theory, you'll be at a huge advantage over people that just know theory. When you want to write, I suggest you use the Mark Morton method of Riff Farming. Start out with a simple rhythm, and add and subtract notes as you see fit.

Best of luck.