Any fans of Don Bluth animation films? What's your favorite & worse from Don Bluth?

#1 Posted by DaVillain- (36052 posts) -

Not sure if anyone in OT actually likes Don Bluth movies, I personally do but not exactly all of them, some are a hit or a miss but still, What's the best & worst from Don Bluth OT? Me:

Best:

• Anastasia (Totally one if at all Don's best animation film he's done in his career)
  • The Secret of NIMH (A darker film in his early days and my childhood favorite)
  • An American Tail (To be honest, I like the sequel alot more then the first one)
  • Titan A.E (Solid movie, though I didn't like some of the character designs and questionable soundtrack choices. Graphics still hold up to this day though which is surprising! Those ice crystal in the Astoriod field was truly amazing)
  • The Land Before Time (Great movie, can be slow at times though and I find the sequels without Don to be more charming)
  • All Dogs Go To Heaven (Totally much darker then NIMH, I loved this movie as a kid, watched it countless times and Charley was a jerk in this movie but that was the best parts of the movie in general)

Worst:

• A Troll in Central Park (I think this is obviously the worst. This movie was atrocious, I don't think Bluth was even trying when he made this movie. Terrible songs, stupid characters and an incredibly stupid story.
  • Rock-A-Doodle (I liked it a little more than A Trol in Central Park, but that's really not saying much. All the characters are annoying but the main character takes the cake for having the most irritating voice ever)
  • The Pebble and the Penguin (I don't find it horrible, just average but nothing stands out)
  • Thumbelina (I find Thumbelina really pretty as a kid, but the movie itself in terms of story wasn't the best)

I won't denied Don was losing his fine touch throughout the years, he just couldn't compete with Disney back then, Anastasia just happens to be his "one-hit-wonder"

#2 Edited by Speeny (1510 posts) -

I love Don Bluth. I’d say Anastasia is a classic for me though. Great soundtrack too.

Just to add, I liked Titan AE as well. So underrated. For All Dogs Go to Heaven I preferred the Christmas movie.

#3 Posted by Speeny (1510 posts) -

P.S. I saw A Troll in Central Park a long time ago. Didn’t think it was too bad, but definitely forgettable.

#4 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15953 posts) -

Secret of NIMH was a favorite growing up and still is. Still, the book is better. I've heard Bluth's reasoning for making Nicodemus a wizard but I still think it was the wrong move.

#5 Posted by mattbbpl (16989 posts) -

The Secret of Nimh, The Land Before Time, and All Dogs Go to Heaven all seemed like they talked to kids as if they were adults before it was cool to do so. Those are my three favorites, in that order (although I haven't seen all of the Bluth movies). I really liked An American Tail back in the day as well, but it hasn't aged as well for me.

#6 Posted by judaspete (2904 posts) -

I respect Don Bluth, but don't really love him. He had a lot of cool, big ideas, but they didn't always translate to entertaining movies. My favorites would be NIMH, All Dogs go to Heaven, Anastasia, and Land Before Time. Worst is Thumbilina. That was him trying to copy Disney and failing, whereas Anastasia was a successful copy.

I consider Fern Gully and Titan A.E. to be quintessential Don Bluth. Ambitious, unique projects that just don't quite land the execution.

#7 Posted by Ovirew (8858 posts) -

Fievel Goes West was a favorite of mine as a child.

#8 Posted by mattbbpl (16989 posts) -

@judaspete said:

I respect Don Bluth, but don't really love him. He had a lot of cool, big ideas, but they didn't always translate to entertaining movies. My favorites would be NIMH, All Dogs go to Heaven, Anastasia, and Land Before Time. Worst is Thumbilina. That was him trying to copy Disney and failing, whereas Anastasia was a successful copy.

I consider Fern Gully and Titan A.E. to be quintessential Don Bluth. Ambitious, unique projects that just don't quite land the execution.

I didn't think Fern Gully was a Don Bluth film?

#9 Posted by judaspete (2904 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:
@judaspete said:

I didn't think Fern Gully was a Don Bluth film?

Yeah. I think it was the first movie in his partnership with 20th Century Fox. Watched it again recently with my daughter, and while I still think it's good, it's definitely a product of the 90's.