loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

A North Carolina school with a large anti-vaccine community is at the heart of the state's largest chickenpox outbreak in decades, officials say.

On Friday 36 students at Asheville Waldorf School were diagnosed with the disease, the Asheville Citizen-Times newspaper reported.

The school has one of the state's highest rates of religious exemption, allowing students to skip vaccination.

"This is the biggest chickenpox outbreak state health officials are aware of since the vaccine became available," a North Carolina Department of Health spokesman told the BBC in an emailed statement.

Out of the Waldorf School's 152 students, 110 have not received the vaccine for the varicella virus, known to most as chickenpox, the Citizen-Times found.

And 67.9% of the school's kindergarten students had religious immunisation exemptions on file in the 2017-2018 school year, according to state data.

The primary school is fully co-operating with local health officials and is compliant with all North Carolina laws, a spokesperson for the school told the BBC.

"We find that our parents are highly motivated to choose exactly what they want for their children. We, as a school, do not discriminate based on a child's medical history or medical condition."

Buncombe County, home to the city of Asheville, with a population of over 250,000, has the highest rate of religious-based immunisation exemptions in the state.

"We want to be clear: vaccination is the best protection from chickenpox," County Medical Director Dr Jennifer Mullendore said in a statement.

North Carolina law requires certain immunisations, including chickenpox, measles and mumps for kindergarteners, but the state allows for medical and religious exemptions.

Source

Should the exemption be allowed!?

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

It seems pointless for it to be a law if there are exemptions. It feels very arbitrary. I'm not for or against it being a law, but the exemption system makes no sense to me in this case.

I can understand why someone might not want to force this because it sounds creepy as hell to force children to get injections.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

proof that god wants sick children

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Since I won't pretend to know, is there an actual chickenpox vaccine? How long has it been in play because when I was a kid in grade school, nearly everyone I knew (except me) had the pox.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

Not the chickenpox.

Run Forest Run.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Herd immunity is a thing.

Vaccinate your children.

Kids don't have to get chicken pox anymore. We're supposed to be past that.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Honestly, I'm all for getting rid of religious exemptions. If your religion says you can't give your kids vaccinations, fine. You can home school your damn kids.

I'm all for people having the freedom to practice their religious beliefs, but not when that comes at the expense of everyone else's safety. Schools shouldn't be obligated to put other students at risk just because your religion doesn't recognize medical science. Don't want to give your kids vaccinations? Fine. Then your kids don't get to go to public school.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Religion is a belief, a fiction. If you want to believe in fairy tales, fine, but don't let it have any practical effect on people's real, day-to-day lives.

Religious exemptions have to go. Either that, or you have to get registered on a system so we know where your vaccinated kids are. And they get home-schooled.

The whole irony of this situation is that religion was created, in part, to keep people healthy and controlled: instead, we have the opposite; parents rebelling against the norm and kids getting sick.

Perfect example: Don't eat pork. Why? Because God says so? No, because this religion is often found in hot environments, and pork spoils in a matter of hours, resulting in food poisoning. But when you're starving, that excuse is not good enough. So what's the answer then? Because God says so. Now people are listening.

I'd like to think we live in an age where we can finally acknowledge that food spoilage is a thing and that reason is enough, but apparently we still need God to [mis]guide us.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrGeezer

@mrbojangles25 said:

Religion is a belief, a fiction. If you want to believe in fairy tales, fine, but don't let it have any practical effect on people's real, day-to-day lives.

Religious exemptions have to go. Either that, or you have to get registered on a system so we know where your vaccinated kids are. And they get home-schooled.

The whole irony of this situation is that religion was created, in part, to keep people healthy and controlled: instead, we have the opposite; parents rebelling against the norm and kids getting sick.

Perfect example: Don't eat pork. Why? Because God says so? No, because this religion is often found in hot environments, and pork spoils in a matter of hours, resulting in food poisoning. But when you're starving, that excuse is not good enough. So what's the answer then? Because God says so. Now people are listening.

I'd like to think we live in an age where we can finally acknowledge that food spoilage is a thing and that reason is enough, but apparently we still need God to [mis]guide us.

To be fair, I've known a few people who didn't eat pork for religious reasons. And to my recollection, not a single one of them thought that food spoilage wasn't a thing. They just feel better not eating pork because their religion says not to. Which is fair enough. It's not like not eating pork is hurting anyone, so if following such antiquated rules makes them feel better about themselves then that's not my business.

As has been pointed out repeatedly though, not getting vaccinated DOES hurt people.

One thing I'm actually curious about is how many of the people who don't vaccinate their kids "for religious reasons" are ACTUALLY not vaccinating their kids for religious reasons (as opposed to just being lazy, or being on the anti-vaccination bandwagon and using the "religion" excuse because "I'm not religious but I just don't trust science" isn't an acceptable excuse). Is there any way to verify how many of the people who refuse to vaccinate their kids on religious grounds are ACTUALLY refusing to vaccinate their kids on religious grounds? I'd think that might be hard to verify, considering how many religious people pick and choose what parts of their religion to follow according to what suits them.

So my question is, how EXACTLY does the religious exemption thing even work? Is it basically just getting a free exemption by CLAIMING that it's against one's religion? Because if that's the case, that sounds like it'd be an exemption that would be kind of hard to dispute. Which kind of makes it a crappy exemption.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

Since I won't pretend to know, is there an actual chickenpox vaccine? How long has it been in play because when I was a kid in grade school, nearly everyone I knew (except me) had the pox.

Yes, since the 80s. You don't need to force your kids to get chickenpox young anymore to reduce the risk of the illness and it's been like that for a long time. Kids can get the vaccine around 12 months old.

-Byshop

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

At least they din't have autism, tho.

homework9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 homework9293
Member since 2018 • 10 Posts

It's the apocalypse!! Everybody run!!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Hate to show my ignorance but I thought chickenpox was still somewhat common .

Avatar image for stilltrollin_ic
StillTrollin_IC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StillTrollin_IC
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Shit happens. Maybe them weak kids needs a shot lmfaol!!!!!!

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

If people want to oppose vaccinations, that's fine*...but they shouldn't be allowed mingle with the general public. They pose too high a risk to people who can't get vaccinated for legitimate medical reasons (like people with auto-immune deficiencies).

*Okay, no, it's not really fine. Don't risk your kid getting chickenpox or smallpox or polio or whatever just because of your beliefs. Stop being selfish assholes and think of your children's wellbeing instead.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Well said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@hrt_rulz01:

"The norm"

Wow that is funny. Shooting up infants is normal.

Popular opinion in America? Perhaps. But look at the state of the world. Its a mess. The general population lacks common sense. Maybe its time we stop injecting everyone from birth to death.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hrt_rulz01

@heirren: Huh? So you're against children being vaccinated against diseases that are preventable?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@hrt_rulz01:

I didnt say that. I said the world is a mess and its of popular opinion to vaccinate. Maybe vaccines have side effects unknown to human kind atm.

Eventually, on the vaccine train of thought, there will be "smart" vaccines and people will have less and less control over themselves.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@heirren: Oh dear god, where did I put my tinfoil hat at cause I need it badly for your post.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@vfighter:

Why because i am open minded?

Imo the nature of "shoot em up shoot em up cure him cure him" is more akin to wearing a tinfoil hat.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01

@heirren: Not sure what you're talking about tbh... but all I know is that vaccines have been overwhelmingly proven to be highly effective.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer

@heirren said:

@vfighter:

Imo the nature of "shoot em up shoot em up cure him cure him" is more akin to wearing a tinfoil hat.

Uh, what? Vaccines aren't tinfoil hat s***, they have been PROVEN to work.

If your only real objection is that MAYBE it's somehow POSSIBLE that way down the line we find out that SOME vaccine has an unforeseen long-term side effect, then that's not really a real objection. That'd be like objecting to computers because MAYBE someday down the line our computers will gain sentience and take over the planet.

We're talking about science here. People have been using vaccines for decades. They've been proven to work. And new vaccines get thoroughly tested before being released to the public. If there's some problem with them, then tell me what the problem is NOW. Is there any actual EVIDENCE that vaccines have any damaging unknown side effects to humans that won't be known until later? No? Then there's no reason not to get vaccinated. Since when the heck is it "common sense" to disregard life-saving medical science that has for decades been PROVEN to work, just because there's the (completely unfounded and with no evidence to support it) fear that it'll someday become a problem?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@MrGeezer:

Reading comprehension, my friend.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer

@heirren said:

@MrGeezer:

Reading comprehension, my friend.

How about actually thoroughly explaining your position before accusing people of not properly reading it.

What exactly the f*** do you mean by this..."Eventually, on the vaccine train of thought, there will be "smart" vaccines and people will have less and less control over themselves."

So...if I'm misreading you, can you elaborate on that? Can you explain to me precisely what you mean here? Because, like, you didn't tell us. It kind of sounds like you're saying that using vaccines will result in vaccines that will somehow (how?) remove people's ability to control themselves. Like, was that NOT what you were saying? If it was, then evidence please. And if it wasn't, then you need to be a bit more clear on what your position actually is.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@heirren said:

@vfighter:

Willful ignorance =/= open minded.

It also doesn't mean you entertain any bullshit theory that happens to be anti-establishment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@br0kenrabbit:

Open to the possibility of. People are so quick to judge.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@MrGeezer:

Reread the context.

People freaking ouy running around screaming "im gonna die get me my vaccine" is more akin to wearing a tinfoil hat vs someone that just sits back and relaxes and figures sht out, for better or worse.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@mrbojangles25: It’s so bizarre. I remember a coworker saying he couldn’t eat the communal pizza the boss bought us after a hard, busy day at work because pepperoni has pork in it. He didn’t cry religion as the reason (it probably was as there were other clues he was pretty religious), but that the pig is a filthy animal. Fine I suppose, but I knew he ate chicken which is an even filthier animal.

But back to the topic. Denying your children medical attention when it’s readily available is child abuse and the parents should be charged as such.

But I didn’t even know there was a chicken pox vaccine. I remember everyone getting it in school and we were told it was a one time illness. It was kind of a right of passage of being a kid.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Byshop said:
@Solaryellow said:

Yes, since the 80s. You don't need to force your kids to get chickenpox young anymore to reduce the risk of the illness and it's been like that for a long time. Kids can get the vaccine around 12 months old.

-Byshop

The shot must have been after my time because during my day it was just assumed and a matter of time when, not if, you'd get the pox and back then people didn't appear to be anti-everything like nowadays. My mother (to this day) is still shocked how I never contracted it even after being in close quarters with so many others who came down with it. Back then we did get vaccinated if something was available.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

What denomination doesn't allow for vaccines and why are so many in the same school? Nonetheless children that are not immunized should be home schooled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:

What denomination doesn't allow for vaccines and why are so many in the same school? Nonetheless children that are not immunized should be home schooled.

I suspect religion is just being used as a easy excuse for exemption.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@heirren said:

@hrt_rulz01:

I didnt say that. I said the world is a mess and its of popular opinion to vaccinate. Maybe vaccines have side effects unknown to human kind atm.

Eventually, on the vaccine train of thought, there will be "smart" vaccines and people will have less and less control over themselves.

My numbers might be off with a few years... But the first vaccine was made back in the late 1790's or so. Although it took almost another 100 years before the next one was made. After that though. Developing new vaccines went much faster. If there are any implications that we do not know about yet, they sure as hell are taking time to show.

If you're suggesting that vaccines in the future will be able to make people into mindless living zombies... Well it won't be a vaccine. Though if you think that that is still vaccine, I doubt you know what a vaccine actually is.

You're not only taking vaccines for yourself. It's also for herd immunity, so the few unlucky ones who can't have them, still have a decent chance for growing up and live a normal life. If you think it is unnatural, I sincerely hope you aren't visiting the doctor and use any medicine he or she prescribes for you.

Perhaps you prefer inoculation instead?

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@schu: it should be force because you kid with limb the same lenths and not die

360mli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 360mli
Member since 2009 • 339 Posts

wilkesboro

kentucky

turkey

the moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@horgen:

No that is not what i was suggesting.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 horgen  Moderator

@heirren said:

@horgen:

No that is not what i was suggesting.

Perhaps you should elaborate on your position then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@horgen:

Its an impossible discussion to have.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 horgen  Moderator

@heirren said:

@horgen:

Its an impossible discussion to have.

Well if you're giving up that easily.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@horgen:

Im not giving up nor was i arguing. For example it could be stated that the big pharm companies are only growing and that the need to cure "mental illness" could *potentially* be connected to how we people are treated from birth.

Imo its the principal behind solving the problem. Lets say theres a pot of gold at the bottom of the ocean. Between the person and the pot of gold are swarms of sharks. The ideology behind the mindset of a pro vaccination person is to say, "well, why dont we destroy all of the sharks to get the gold." Whereas, on the other side, an non pro vaccination person would say, "maybe we should go around, or not go there alltogether and leave that at peace."

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Natural selection.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@heirren said:

@horgen:

Imo its the principal behind solving the problem. Lets say theres a pot of gold at the bottom of the ocean. Between the person and the pot of gold are swarms of sharks. The ideology behind the mindset of a pro vaccination person is to say, "well, why dont we destroy all of the sharks to get the gold." Whereas, on the other side, an non pro vaccination person would say, "maybe we should go around, or not go there alltogether and leave that at peace."

What does this even mean, is this your anti-vaccine allegory? If you're going to cry foul on people at least explain your position instead of dodging every remark that comes your way.

Go right a head, elaborate on the problem, describe the solutions people are using, and give your take on them (or possible alternatives).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@HoolaHoopMan:

Maybe over medication has affected peoples reading comprehension ;).

Please at least take the time to read and think before responding. Common courtesy.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HoolaHoopMan

@heirren said:

@HoolaHoopMan:

Maybe over medication has affected peoples reading comprehension ;).

Please at least take the time to read and think before responding. Common courtesy.

So you're just being coy.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

We definitely need free vaccines for every disease. Especially the flu. Probably at least 10+ every year.

I need to make some bigger gains on my big pharma portfolio.

"Free" mandatory vaccines for everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Good thing I'm naturally immune to chickenpox. It's also harder for me for shingles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@HoolaHoopMan:

No, but you are free to assume that.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HoolaHoopMan

@heirren said:

@HoolaHoopMan:

No, but you are free to assume that.

Not an assumption, an inference (an easy one at that).

Yes or No, do you accept the overwhelming evidence as to the efficacy of vaccinations held by every scientific and medical institution world wide?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@HoolaHoopMan:

It is an assumption. I think you are failing to understand my point, or are taking it out of context, as you are just making a statement and not actually reacting to what i had said.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HoolaHoopMan

@heirren said:

@HoolaHoopMan:

It is an assumption. I think you are failing to understand my point, or are taking it out of context, as you are just making a statement and not actually reacting to what i had said.

Again, Yes or No, do you accept the overwhelming evidence as to the efficacy of vaccinations held by every scientific and medical institution world wide?