Another school shooting

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15504 posts) -

Story

At least one fatality, multiple persons injured and helicoptered out.

Avatar image for Mercenary848
#2 Posted by Mercenary848 (11884 posts) -

Welcome to 2018 everyone! Buckle up, we are in for a ride

Avatar image for Mercenary848
#3 Edited by Mercenary848 (11884 posts) -

Jeez looking at the map, its only a couple hours away from where I live in GA.

We sure love our guns here in the south......

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#4 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15504 posts) -

@Mercenary848 said:

Jeez looking at the map, its only a couple hours away from where I live in GA.

We sure love our guns here in the south......

I'm a gun owner myself but this shit is getting ridiculous. I'm not paid to come up with suggestions on how to fix this, but someone needs to.

Avatar image for Mercenary848
#5 Posted by Mercenary848 (11884 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Jeez looking at the map, its only a couple hours away from where I live in GA.

We sure love our guns here in the south......

I'm a gun owner myself but this shit is getting ridiculous. I'm not paid to come up with suggestions on how to fix this, but someone needs to.

Yeah man, and its like we have all these other things going on as well; and the idiots in power just twidling their thumbs

Avatar image for Star67
#6 Posted by Star67 (4283 posts) -

I used to live there. Moved just a few months ago. I've reached out to a few friends and while they are fine everyone is in complete shock.

This is a small town where everyone knows everyone. I worked at Murray State University in the bordering county and we would have active shooter exercises and none of us thought it would EVER happen here.

It's not will it happen it's WHEN will it happen. That's the world we live in now.

Avatar image for Mercenary848
#8 Posted by Mercenary848 (11884 posts) -

@THUMPTABLE: Yeah and they are gonna blame everyone else when people start shooting up the place

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#9 Edited by Gaming-Planet (19615 posts) -

They need to start charging parents for mishandling their guns around their nutty ass children.

I'm always afraid someone might come shooting up my college. Definitely not gonna sit around when that happens.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#10 Posted by MirkoS77 (13449 posts) -

Arm teachers.

Avatar image for n64dd
#11 Posted by N64DD (10962 posts) -

@Mercenary848 said:

@THUMPTABLE: Yeah and they are gonna blame everyone else when people start shooting up the place

The worst thing about guns is how they get up off a table and start firing themselves...not the mentally ill/disturbed people who snap and use them.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#12 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78728 posts) -

I think i'm at the point of apathy in regards to school shootings. I mean, what am I supposed to feel here that I haven't already felt since... Columbine. I mean things aren't getting better. They're getting worse. Coworker today was talking to me about the shooting and what escaped my mouth was, "Wow, today's a bad day." Like more annoyed than shocked... Yeah, I honestly don't care anymore. I have no feeling left when it comes to shootings. Just another day in America. *shrugs*

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#13 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42156 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:

I think i'm at the point of apathy in regards to school shootings. I mean, what am I supposed to feel here that I haven't already felt since... Columbine. I mean things aren't getting better. They're getting worse. Coworker today was talking to me about the shooting and what escaped my mouth was, "Wow, today's a bad day." Like more annoyed than shocked... Yeah, I honestly don't care anymore. I have no feeling left when it comes to shootings. Just another day in America. *shrugs*

I still feel sad, I just don't feel shocked, angry, or anything else. It's like "Well, that sucks, but that's how it is these days".

And that thought is somehow as depressing as the shooting itself.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#14 Posted by Serraph105 (32853 posts) -

Just a 120 miles from my home according to google maps, and in the middle of another state that won't want to do a damn thing to keep it from happening in the future. I'm pretty numb to school shootings at this point, it's not that nothing can or should be done, it's that not enough people actually want something to be done. My gamespot signature is a reminder to myself that the best way to get people to do anything is to make them want to do it. It's a reminder to act friendly and understand what others want so that I can give them reasons to do things that are in their own interest, but when it comes to school shootings, and other mass shootings, people clearly want to own guns more than they want to protect other people's lives, and it's been made abundantly clear that that's never going to change.

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#15 Posted by MrGeezer (59653 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Jeez looking at the map, its only a couple hours away from where I live in GA.

We sure love our guns here in the south......

I'm a gun owner myself but this shit is getting ridiculous. I'm not paid to come up with suggestions on how to fix this, but someone needs to.

There is no fix. And there never will be until schools are made as secure as prisons (while people absolutely get murdered in prisons, I don't hear too much about inmates going on shooting sprees). of course, that would cost substantial money, and likely also lead to a toxic atmosphere that isn't conducive to learning. If we're willing to pony up the money to make all schools secure just to avoid the statistically miniscule chance of a school shooting occurring, it's likely that we'd be better off taking that money and just improving the quality of our schools.

Of course, even if we do make schools completely secure, last I checked most places AREN'T secure. Someone could cause a lot of mayhem in a crowded mall or restaurant, but lord knows I don't want to have to go through a security checkpoint every time I take a girl out to dinner. Never mind the costs of busy private establishments having to foot the bill for security checkpoints and armed guards. That'd have to raise menu prices by A LOT. And I'm not willing to pay $50 for a Big Mac. I think I'd rather just roll the dice and take the chance that I'm probably not going to get shot.

Banning guns might EVENTUALLY cut down on such shootings, but good freaking luck with that.

Avatar image for bush_dog
#16 Posted by Bush_Dog (294 posts) -

Pumped up kicks...

Avatar image for bush_dog
#17 Posted by Bush_Dog (294 posts) -
@Mercenary848 said:

Welcome to 2018 everyone! Buckle up, we are in for a ride

And it's only January.

Avatar image for lordlors
#18 Edited by lordlors (6128 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Jeez looking at the map, its only a couple hours away from where I live in GA.

We sure love our guns here in the south......

I'm a gun owner myself but this shit is getting ridiculous. I'm not paid to come up with suggestions on how to fix this, but someone needs to.

There is no fix. And there never will be until schools are made as secure as prisons (while people absolutely get murdered in prisons, I don't hear too much about inmates going on shooting sprees). of course, that would cost substantial money, and likely also lead to a toxic atmosphere that isn't conducive to learning. If we're willing to pony up the money to make all schools secure just to avoid the statistically miniscule chance of a school shooting occurring, it's likely that we'd be better off taking that money and just improving the quality of our schools.

Of course, even if we do make schools completely secure, last I checked most places AREN'T secure. Someone could cause a lot of mayhem in a crowded mall or restaurant, but lord knows I don't want to have to go through a security checkpoint every time I take a girl out to dinner. Never mind the costs of busy private establishments having to foot the bill for security checkpoints and armed guards. That'd have to raise menu prices by A LOT. And I'm not willing to pay $50 for a Big Mac. I think I'd rather just roll the dice and take the chance that I'm probably not going to get shot.

Banning guns might EVENTUALLY cut down on such shootings, but good freaking luck with that.

I would recommend for schools to just hire full time guards with armed rifles patrolling the school 24/7. Pretty sure they would deter anybody thinking of attacking the school. The Philippines has guards with shotguns and rifles all over convenience stores, malls, etc. Pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much for Americans.

Avatar image for jimy1475
#19 Edited by jimy1475 (1227 posts) -

Just another day in America

Avatar image for jut
#20 Posted by Jut (250 posts) -

Yanks will be Yanks :/

Avatar image for PSP107
#21 Posted by PSP107 (17262 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit:"Our nation has experienced 13 mass shootings already this year, and it's only January."

What?

Avatar image for phbz
#22 Posted by phbz (3742 posts) -

Build the wall! Build the wall!

Avatar image for Treflis
#23 Posted by Treflis (13545 posts) -

So considering things aren't going to change regarding firearm and possible access to firearms for those that shouldn't have access.


How about solving school shootings by removing the schools, Kids will love the decrease in homework as well.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#24 Posted by comp_atkins (35297 posts) -

what is it about america that produces so many unstable people?

something in the water?

Avatar image for Treflis
#25 Posted by Treflis (13545 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

what is it about america that produces so many unstable people?

something in the water?

Aren't there a vast majority of cities and towns in the US with old water pipes that causes the drinking water to contain high amount of lead in it?

Lead tends to wreck havoc on both body and mind if consumed in large doses.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#26 Posted by comp_atkins (35297 posts) -

@Treflis said:
@comp_atkins said:

what is it about america that produces so many unstable people?

something in the water?

Aren't there a vast majority of cities and towns in the US with old water pipes that causes the drinking water to contain high amount of lead in it?

Lead tends to wreck havoc on both body and mind if consumed in large doses.

could be.

or violent video games

Avatar image for shellcase86
#27 Posted by shellcase86 (4083 posts) -

@bush_dog said:

Pumped up kicks...

Ruthless, broham.

Avatar image for Sam3231
#29 Posted by Sam3231 (2484 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

what is it about america that produces so many unstable people?

something in the water?

Hahah, oh man.

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#30 Posted by MrGeezer (59653 posts) -

@lordlors said:

I would recommend for schools to just hire full time guards with armed rifles patrolling the school 24/7. Pretty sure they would deter anybody thinking of attacking the school. The Philippines has guards with shotguns and rifles all over convenience stores, malls, etc. Pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much for Americans.

Well, how much are these guards supposed to be getting paid? Let's just lowball it and say, $30,000 a year. Well, I don't think ONE guard would cut it for a school. You'd need enough for a fast response time. So let's say five guards. That's $150,000. For one school. For one year. If we're committed to donating AT LEAST $150,000 to every school every year, then I honestly think that money could probably be put to better use.

That's also not really addressing the very real possibility that this would result in more deaths BY THE GUARDS. I mean, we hear about deaths by cops all the time, enough that people think that it's a serious problem that needs to be addressed. So, who exactly are these armed guards patrolling our schools, and how do we make sure that they're fit and well-trained enough to do the job without mistakenly killing the wrong students? You'd probably need to establish a regulatory/training agency specifically for school guards. And again, we come down to the issue of money.

In reality, the costs would likely be MUCH more than $150,000 per year per school, if we're going to do it properly. And all to stop and/or respond more quickly to shootings that are still statistically very rare. When it comes to schools, do you know what ISN'T rare? Shitty education. I still maintain that doing this would be VERY expensive. It would be using a LOT of money to make not that much of a difference. And it MIGHT even make schools MORE dangerous. It seems to me like it would be a MUCH better use of the money to invest that money into simply improving the quality of education.

Avatar image for JustPlainLucas
#31 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78728 posts) -

@lordlors said:
@MrGeezer said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Jeez looking at the map, its only a couple hours away from where I live in GA.

We sure love our guns here in the south......

I'm a gun owner myself but this shit is getting ridiculous. I'm not paid to come up with suggestions on how to fix this, but someone needs to.

There is no fix. And there never will be until schools are made as secure as prisons (while people absolutely get murdered in prisons, I don't hear too much about inmates going on shooting sprees). of course, that would cost substantial money, and likely also lead to a toxic atmosphere that isn't conducive to learning. If we're willing to pony up the money to make all schools secure just to avoid the statistically miniscule chance of a school shooting occurring, it's likely that we'd be better off taking that money and just improving the quality of our schools.

Of course, even if we do make schools completely secure, last I checked most places AREN'T secure. Someone could cause a lot of mayhem in a crowded mall or restaurant, but lord knows I don't want to have to go through a security checkpoint every time I take a girl out to dinner. Never mind the costs of busy private establishments having to foot the bill for security checkpoints and armed guards. That'd have to raise menu prices by A LOT. And I'm not willing to pay $50 for a Big Mac. I think I'd rather just roll the dice and take the chance that I'm probably not going to get shot.

Banning guns might EVENTUALLY cut down on such shootings, but good freaking luck with that.

I would recommend for schools to just hire full time guards with armed rifles patrolling the school 24/7. Pretty sure they would deter anybody thinking of attacking the school. The Philippines has guards with shotguns and rifles all over convenience stores, malls, etc. Pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much for Americans.

If I wanted to shoot up a school, the guard would be the first one I'd shoot.

Avatar image for commander
#32 Posted by commander (15255 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Jeez looking at the map, its only a couple hours away from where I live in GA.

We sure love our guns here in the south......

I'm a gun owner myself but this shit is getting ridiculous. I'm not paid to come up with suggestions on how to fix this, but someone needs to.

well shool shootings don't happen in europe, so there you have your solution.

Avatar image for bmanva
#33 Posted by bmanva (4679 posts) -

America is home to all sort of problems (heart problems, drug overdose, mental health etc all of which America leads in among developed countries) but somehow a statistically insignificant issue always makes the headline and gets everyone start the conversation about banning or restricting a constitutionally protected right.

Avatar image for bmanva
#34 Posted by bmanva (4679 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

what is it about america that produces so many unstable people?

something in the water?

According to WHO, America does have suffer more cases of mental disorder than rest of the world. Combination of culture and health system in the US?

Avatar image for Nuck81
#35 Posted by Nuck81 (7076 posts) -

This one hit home.

I taught at this school for 9 years. From 2003 to 2012 before switching careers. This is the school my wife and all of my in laws graduated from. We walked those very halls.

It was surreal seeing the school grounds that I spent a decade at on National and International news.

The only word I could keep saying was crazy.

Being so close to the community there is a lot more to it than a simple random shooting.

But the bottom line is 2 kids are dead.

The school and the community will never be the same.

Just crazy.

Avatar image for shellcase86
#36 Posted by shellcase86 (4083 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:
@lordlors said:

I would recommend for schools to just hire full time guards with armed rifles patrolling the school 24/7. Pretty sure they would deter anybody thinking of attacking the school. The Philippines has guards with shotguns and rifles all over convenience stores, malls, etc. Pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much for Americans.

Well, how much are these guards supposed to be getting paid? Let's just lowball it and say, $30,000 a year. Well, I don't think ONE guard would cut it for a school. You'd need enough for a fast response time. So let's say five guards. That's $150,000. For one school. For one year. If we're committed to donating AT LEAST $150,000 to every school every year, then I honestly think that money could probably be put to better use.

That's also not really addressing the very real possibility that this would result in more deaths BY THE GUARDS. I mean, we hear about deaths by cops all the time, enough that people think that it's a serious problem that needs to be addressed. So, who exactly are these armed guards patrolling our schools, and how do we make sure that they're fit and well-trained enough to do the job without mistakenly killing the wrong students? You'd probably need to establish a regulatory/training agency specifically for school guards. And again, we come down to the issue of money.

In reality, the costs would likely be MUCH more than $150,000 per year per school, if we're going to do it properly. And all to stop and/or respond more quickly to shootings that are still statistically very rare. When it comes to schools, do you know what ISN'T rare? Shitty education. I still maintain that doing this would be VERY expensive. It would be using a LOT of money to make not that much of a difference. And it MIGHT even make schools MORE dangerous. It seems to me like it would be a MUCH better use of the money to invest that money into simply improving the quality of education.

Not including the additional costs from the added liability to the insurance costs/payouts, the benefits, and leaves.

Avatar image for Mercenary848
#37 Posted by Mercenary848 (11884 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

This one hit home.

I taught at this school for 9 years. From 2003 to 2012 before switching careers. This is the school my wife and all of my in laws graduated from. We walked those very halls.

It was surreal seeing the school grounds that I spent a decade at on National and International news.

The only word I could keep saying was crazy.

Being so close to the community there is a lot more to it than a simple random shooting.

But the bottom line is 2 kids are dead.

The school and the community will never be the same.

Just crazy.

I am honestly speechless, I can not imagine what you are feeling rn.

Avatar image for Nuck81
#38 Posted by Nuck81 (7076 posts) -

@Mercenary848 said:
@Nuck81 said:

This one hit home.

I taught at this school for 9 years. From 2003 to 2012 before switching careers. This is the school my wife and all of my in laws graduated from. We walked those very halls.

It was surreal seeing the school grounds that I spent a decade at on National and International news.

The only word I could keep saying was crazy.

Being so close to the community there is a lot more to it than a simple random shooting.

But the bottom line is 2 kids are dead.

The school and the community will never be the same.

Just crazy.

I am honestly speechless, I can not imagine what you are feeling rn.

It's taken a few days to catch up emotionally.

The first day is just shock and disbelief.

Now that i'm hearing stories and seeing videos from friends and former colleagues it's taking a toll.

I'm at the age where most of my friends I started teaching with have kids that are just now starting high school. The victims could have easily have been one of their kids or one of them.

It's easy to sit back and say they should have done this, or they should have done that. Or someone should have stopped him. But the truth of the matter is that it happens so fast and is over so quick, those kids didn't really have time to react.

When the first few shots rang out, none of those kids even realized they were gun shots. They thought it was books slamming of the ground, or other kids just making noise. The shooting happened in a commons area that is right next to the cafeteria. Its the busiest part of the school in the morning with kids coming and going. It wasn't until kids started hitting the floor that others finally began to realize what was happening. By the time kids started running, the shooter was already out of bullets. The shooter took off and tried to blend in with the other kids running from the Commons.

The whole shooting was done in about 30 seconds.

The thing that is hitting me hardest is Social Media Comments. I'm normally really desensitized to Gen Pop social Media comments, but it's been tough seeing people without any knowledge of the situation, the community, or the aftermath, passing judgement and pointing fingers.

This had nothing to do with Politics, This had nothing to do with a False Flag Conspiracy, this had nothing to do with God, Religion, or any other BS.

This was a fucked up kid, who did a fucked up thing, in our fucked up world.

Avatar image for SolidSnake35
#39 Edited by SolidSnake35 (58820 posts) -

You need more guns. If you'd have snipers posted this could've been avoided but nooooo. Damn hippies won't allow it.

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#40 Posted by MrGeezer (59653 posts) -

@shellcase86 said:

Not including the additional costs from the added liability to the insurance costs/payouts, the benefits, and leaves.

Yeah...sorry to say it but we sort of CAN put a price on human lives. Especially if that money could be put to much better use. Something like just making the world safe with armed guards would be expensive as hell and all for the purpose of MAYBE stopping some shootings that are already statistically rare to begin with.

And that's not even getting how to (in my opinion) posting armed guards everywhere is just a band-aid. For starters, it's retroactive instead of proactive. If you find yourself wearing band-aids all the time, then it might be a good idea to think about why you're always covered in cuts and then PREVENT yourself from needing band-aids in the first place. Similarly, placing armed guards around does NOTHING to address the issues which cause people to go on shooting sprees in the first place. It's just slapping a band-aid on the problem.