Another has joined the Sony-Club: Codemasters.com has been hacked.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 uberjannie
Member since 2005 • 1762 Posts

Today I recieved an email from Codemasters (not a phising scam), and they say that usernames, passwords, adresses were stolen.I checked the header and the email did indeed come from codemasters servers and there were no links in the email at all, only thing they had was the name to their customer service email.
Here is the content of the email :

Important information regarding your account

Dear valued Codemasters customer,

On Friday 3rd June, unauthorised entry was gained to our Codemasters.com website. As soon as the intrusion was detected, we immediately took codemasters.com and associated web services offline in order to prevent any further intrusion.

During the days since the attack we have conducted a thorough investigation in order to ascertain the extent and scope of the breach and have regrettably discovered that the intruder was able to gain access to the following:

Codemasters.com website

Access to the Codemasters corporate website and sub-domains.

DiRT 3 VIP code redemption page

Access to the DiRT 3 VIP code redemption page.

The Codemasters EStore

We believe the following have been compromised: Customer names and addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, encrypted passwords and order history. Please note that no personal payment information was stored with Codemasters as we use external payment providers, meaning your payment details were not at risk from this intrusion.

Codemasters CodeM database

Members' names, usernames, screen names, email addresses, date of birth, encrypted passwords, newsletter preferences, any biographies entered by users, details of last site activity, IP addresses and Xbox Live Gamertags are all believed to have been compromised.

Whilst we do not have confirmation that any of this data was actually downloaded onto an external device, we have to assume that, as access was gained, all of these details were compromised and/or stolen.

The Codemasters.com website will remain offline for the foreseeable future with all Codemasters.com traffic re-directed to the Codemasters Facebook page instead. A new website will launch later in the year.

Advice

For your security, in the first instance we advise you to change any passwords you have associated with other Codemasters accounts. If you use the same login information for other sites, you should change that information too. Furthermore, be extra cautious of potential scams, via email, phone, or post that ask you for personal or sensitive information. Please note that Codemasters will never ask you for any payment data such as credit card numbers or bank account details, nor will Codemasters ask you for passwords or other personal identifying data. Be aware too of fraudulent emails that may outwardly appear to be from Codemasters with links inviting you to visit websites. The safest way to visit your favourite websites is always by typing in the address manually into the address bar of your browser.

Unfortunately, Codemasters is the latest victim in on-going targeted attacks against numerous game companies. We assure you that we are doing everything within our legal means to track down the perpetrators and take action to the full extent of the law.

We apologise for this incident and regret any inconvenience caused.

We are contacting all customers who may have been affected directly.

Should you have any concerns or wish to speak to a member of our Customer Services team, please email them at custservice@codemasters.com.

.. Turns out they are not masters of code after all...

Falcon61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Falcon61
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I have an identical e-mail and want to know if this is a legitimate issue or if it is a fake resulting from the hacked information.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone has hacked a site and cloned the information to create a fake/cloned e-mail address.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Lots of companies get hacked, but since the PSN fiasco, we pay more attention to it.

This would of went completely unoticed if it happened a few months ago.

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts
I still don't get what's wrong with these hackers. What are they aiming for- The Video Game Crash of 2011? :?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I still don't get what's wrong with these hackers. What are they aiming for- The Video Game Crash of 2011? :?tekken220

Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied or reasoned with. Some men just want to watch the internet burn.

AugustusGraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AugustusGraham
Member since 2011 • 343 Posts

Lots of companies get hacked, but since the PSN fiasco, we pay more attention to it.

This would of went completely unoticed if it happened a few months ago.

Blue-Sky

;) because volatile personal information is spilled all the time

Egonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Egonga
Member since 2002 • 18205 Posts

Codemasters are still around? :o

Seriously. I thought they died with the PSone?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Egonga

Quite the contrary. They made the fantastic Dirt series.

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

Egonga
They're still making great games like DiRT 3 :)
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
.. Turns out they are not masters of code after all...uberjannie
8) YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!

this is not an all caps post.
Egonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 Egonga
Member since 2002 • 18205 Posts

[QUOTE="Egonga"]

worlock77

Quite the contrary. They made the fantastic Dirt series.

I'll be damned. I knew they made the original Colin McRae series which Dirt evolved from, and also the snooker games, but apart from that I haven't seen their logo for years.

I shall Google this, gain more knowledge and become more powerful as a result. Please excuse me.

M1KES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 M1KES
Member since 2003 • 750 Posts

this hacking is getting out of control.. i just got this mail:

"Our Epic Games web sites and forums were recently hacked. After some downtime, they're back up and running now." etc etc....

ToppledPillars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ToppledPillars
Member since 2010 • 1590 Posts

HAHAHAHA

These guys are excellent!! Though this will likely lead to the overlords imposing silly rules on the internet

HexedPelican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HexedPelican
Member since 2011 • 590 Posts
Why are they attacking video game companies so much?