Another controversy for ScarJo: she defends Woody Allen

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36576 posts) -

Hollywood Reporter

Excerpt

"How do I feel about Woody Allen?" Johansson lets the question hang for a moment. Ever since the #MeToo movement caused Dylan Farrow's sexual abuse allegations against her father to be re-examined, much of Hollywood has distanced itself from Allen. The filmmaker long has denied the claims, but many actors who have worked with him, including Michael Caine, Timothée Chalamet and Greta Gerwig, have publicly expressed regret about doing so, and Allen has been unable to find a U.S. distributor for his movies since Amazon canceled his deal in 2018. Allen directed Johansson in Match Point (2005), Scoop (2006) and Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) and played a key role in shaping her career as one of Hollywood's most sought-after leading ladies. After a beat, Johansson makes it clear that she disagrees with many of her peers. "I love Woody," she says. "I believe him, and I would work with him anytime."

Is it just me, or is she trying to win points with the anti-PC crowd?

#2 Edited by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -

She's probably just really friendly with him I imagine. Not all perderfiles are blatantly obvious walking around with a trench coat and shades in a park, some can hide it and have people defend them for years.

Look at Michael Jackson, dude was basically considered a god and to many still is, fervently believing in his innocence.

#3 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

Allen is a weird dude, probably is a creep, and I wouldn't put these allegations past him since he is such a powerful force in Hollywood.

As for Johansson, she is doing what she thinks is right. If my friend was accused of murder, I'd defend him until he was proven guilty beyond a doubt. Oh we saw your friend with a shovel and rope....so what I'd say. Oh he had a fight with the victim before he was murdered. So? Lots of people fight.

Denial is strong, I don't really blame Johansson for defending her friend. I do question why she is friends with Allen in the first place, though...

As for her trying to appeal to the anti-SJW, I don't think you need to politicize this issue. It's just a friend defending a friend and not succumbing to an agenda simply because it's the safe thing to do.

@uninspiredcup said:

Look at Michael Jackson, dude was basically considered a god and to many still is, fervently believing in his innocence.

Dude, people have been calling Jackson shady for decades, and when you look back at him it's like "Well, I guess all the signs were there".

I think if we look at Allen, and get over the star power and his charisma, we will see the same; when the truth comes out, we will probably be like "Oh yeah it's all so obvious now" when really, should have been calling a spade a spade from the start.

I don't normally condone judging people on appearances or strange behavior, but when that strange behavior can be classified as anti-social behavior, well, it leads to other things.

#4 Posted by Solaryellow (5160 posts) -

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.