Angus Young=overrated

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

racer12mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 racer12mike
Member since 2004 • 3169 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm an AC/DC fan, and I like Angus's playing and all, but he is overrated. The stuff he plays sounds good, but it is easy to play. You can go on YouTube and watch 8 year olds play his stuff like nothing. So I don't know why everyone always wants to call Angus one of the best guitar playersof all timewhen he really can't do much. Not to mention he acts and looks like a F/-\G.
Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts

Its easy to play, but you have to come up with it first... So that makes him a good music writer anyway. Not that i really care for acdc

PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PickGlove243
Member since 2007 • 3144 Posts
He is, indeed one of the most overrated guitarists ever. The only one who is more overrated and even more boring to listen to is Eddie Van Halen.
Sora529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Sora529
Member since 2006 • 3755 Posts
Angus wasn't great, but he got the job done.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
Who cares? They may be simplistic but they make good music that entertains me.
PAJ89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#7 PAJ89
Member since 2003 • 2020 Posts

Who cares? They may be simplistic but they make good music that entertains me.tzar3

Indeed, that is the most important thing.

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts
Yeah... I agree.... though just because he (in your opinion) looks and acts gay isn't a reason to say he's overrated.
o_sausage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 o_sausage
Member since 2006 • 5919 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm an AC/DC fan, and I like Angus's playing and all, but he is overrated. The stuff he plays sounds good, but it is easy to play. You can go on YouTube and watch 8 year olds play his stuff like nothing. So I don't know why everyone always wants to call Angus one of the best guitar playersof all timewhen he really can't do much. Not to mention he acts and looks like a F/-\G.racer12mike
His stuff is pretty easy but the fact that he wrote it is what made him great. Some of the stuff he wrote is so simple you'd expect it to sound terible but it's good like Hell's Bells
DFan17902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DFan17902
Member since 2006 • 5427 Posts
All of AC/DC is overrated.
TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 TheJustin
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm an AC/DC fan, and I like Angus's playing and all, but he is overrated. The stuff he plays sounds good, but it is easy to play. You can go on YouTube and watch 8 year olds play his stuff like nothing. So I don't know why everyone always wants to call Angus one of the best guitar playersof all timewhen he really can't do much. Not to mention he acts and looks like a F/-\G.racer12mike

THANK YOU!!! I'm glad someone agrees with me.
CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
It doesn't matter about his technical guitar abilities, many enjoy the music (including me) and in the end that is the only factor that matters.
sutherland19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sutherland19
Member since 2004 • 4016 Posts

All of AC/DC is overrated.DFan17902

100% True. Thank god I'm not the only one.

easteast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#14 easteast
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts
He's good, but I don't think he lives up to some of his own hype.
PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PickGlove243

[QUOTE="DFan17902"]All of AC/DC is overrated.sutherland19

You're certainly not the only one >___>

basketcasetct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 basketcasetct
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
at least the music sounds good even if it isn't hard to play
queenfan66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 queenfan66
Member since 2006 • 2737 Posts
dude i so disagree with you there, he sounds awesome
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
If it sounds awesome, and he plays it well, who cares if its easy or not? He came up with it, so he deserves the credit.
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
no, ac/dc=overrated
xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts

Its easy to play, but you have to come up with it first... So that makes him a good music writer anyway. Not that i really care for acdc

Witchsight
agreed
strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts
for the time it was original. you have to remember rock n' roll was pretty new around his day. besides i'd rather listen to his stuff anyday over the trash i hear on the radio.
PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PickGlove243

for the time it was original. you have to remember rock n' roll was pretty new around his day. besides i'd rather listen to his stuff anyday over the trash i hear on the radio.strat505

AC/DC is almost as mainstream as all the stuff you hear on the radio...

Bobby_Oz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bobby_Oz
Member since 2004 • 4155 Posts

for the time it was original. you have to remember rock n' roll was pretty new around his day. besides i'd rather listen to his stuff anyday over the trash i hear on the radio.strat505

Agreed. You Win!

steve_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 steve_89
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts
thats just his style, he will have one main riff throught the entire song and then solo and then go back to the riff.
its easy stuff but thats where the genious lies. simplicity is key, especially if it sounds good.
therealapowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 therealapowers
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts

[QUOTE="DFan17902"]All of AC/DC is overrated.sutherland19

[QUOTE="sutherland19"]

[QUOTE="DFan17902"]All of AC/DC is overrated.PickGlove243

You're certainly not the only one >___>

DEFINITELY not the only one... :P

i smell a union that needs to be created... XD

PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PickGlove243

thats just his style, he will have one main riff throught the entire song and then solo and then go back to the riff.
its easy stuff but thats where the genious lies. simplicity is key, especially if it sounds good.steve_89

The problem is, it doesn't sound good

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts

He is, indeed one of the most overrated guitarists ever. The only one who is more overrated and even more boring to listen to is Eddie Van Halen.PickGlove243

I also do think Eddie Van Halen is overrated. Some of my friends said he was better than Jimmy Page just because of Eruption. Why, just the other day, I was at a book store, and there was this magazine that had lists of the greatest vocalists and guitarists of rock, and Eddie Van Halen was number one. Anyways, Angus Young is good, but he is overrated.

PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PickGlove243

[QUOTE="PickGlove243"]He is, indeed one of the most overrated guitarists ever. The only one who is more overrated and even more boring to listen to is Eddie Van Halen.rockguy92

I also do think Eddie Van Halen is overrated. Some of my friends said he was better than Jimmy Page just because of Eruption. Why, just the other day, I was at a book store, and there was this magazine that had lists of the greatest vocalists and guitarists of rock, and Eddie Van Halen was number one. Anyways, Angus Young is good, but he is overrated.

I think Page is overrated too though :P

And those lists are ususally crap. Rolling Stone put Kurt Cobain at #12.... on the plus side, they named some really good guitarists as well

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rockguy92
[QUOTE="rockguy92"]

[QUOTE="PickGlove243"]He is, indeed one of the most overrated guitarists ever. The only one who is more overrated and even more boring to listen to is Eddie Van Halen.PickGlove243

And those lists are ususally crap. Rolling Stone put Kurt Cobain at #12.... on the plus side, they named some really good guitarists as well

Page is not overrated. Rolling Stone also put Eddie at 70 and Angus at 96.

PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PickGlove243
[QUOTE="PickGlove243"][QUOTE="rockguy92"]

[QUOTE="PickGlove243"]He is, indeed one of the most overrated guitarists ever. The only one who is more overrated and even more boring to listen to is Eddie Van Halen.rockguy92

Yes, so that was a good choice. And Page is overrated. He's usually at the top of all these lists, while all the truly talented guitarists are at the bottom.

Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

technical skill is not just about how fast or long you can play, or how progressive your music is. Sure, John Petrucci is an amazing guitarist, but someof his work is just goddamned boring. It all comes down to tempo and chords; if they don't fit, it just doesn't work.

The Young brothers, as simple as their playing may be, have that part down pat. Regarding technical guitarists that can also do the same (with relative consistency), the list falls on my right hand: Jeff Waters from Annihilator, Steve Vai, Joe Satriai and Eric Johnson.

But in regards to great guitarists writing simple work that just sounds great, the list is quite long. Most guitarists, iirc, were guaged on their influence as artists as a whole.

And yes, those lists are B.S.Until Billy Gibbons, Glenn Tipton, Ken Downing and Jeff Waters start showing up on the list - I will ignore them. And some of them even shaft Mark Knopfler >_> Long live Dire Straits!!!!

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EboyLOL
[QUOTE="PickGlove243"][QUOTE="rockguy92"]

I think he's the most overrated guitarist to ever exist, but whatever.
PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PickGlove243
[QUOTE="rockguy92"][QUOTE="PickGlove243"][QUOTE="rockguy92"]

[QUOTE="PickGlove243"]He is, indeed one of the most overrated guitarists ever. The only one who is more overrated and even more boring to listen to is Eddie Van Halen.EboyLOL

I think he's the most overrated guitarist to ever exist, but whatever.

Not as overrated as Van Halen....

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EboyLOL

PickGlove243

Nope, very much more overrated then VH. And I like Zeppelin.

Edit: Upon further consideration, I will go with VH as he created the most overrated solo of all time (except for maybe Freebird), Eruption.

Pepsidesk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pepsidesk
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
The thing is Angus might not play at 1,000,000mph or doimpossible bends or excruciatingly high pitched pinch harmonics but he writes the stuff he plays. Although its not hard to play it is hard to write the songs he wrote. Also he gets the crowd going, if there is a guitarist on stage in a band and they dont get the audience excited then the performance generally is alot worse. Angus Young is an excellent crowd pleaser and that is one of the major factors needed to be a truly great guitarist.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Very true. In and of themselves AC/DC is overrated...Angus is rather pedestrian on the guitar.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#37 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts
I think the reason a lot of you think ac/dc(angus) is over rated is because you weren't alive when they first started playing. Back then their stuff was the **** Now you got all this new stuff, rap metal or what ever you are into, seem to over shadow ac/dc. Ask your parents about ac/dc, they will probably say they were all that and a bag of chips :D
Avatar image for guitargoddess17
guitargoddess17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 guitargoddess17
Member since 2007 • 1333 Posts
This thread makes me sad.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I think the reason a lot of you think ac/dc(angus) is over rated is because you weren't alive when they first started playing. Back then their stuff was the **** Now you got all this new stuff, rap metal or what ever you are into, seem to over shadow ac/dc. Ask your parents about ac/dc, they will probably say they were all that and a bag of chips :DStar67

Not true....and music stands on it's own anyway.

PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PickGlove243

I think the reason a lot of you think ac/dc(angus) is over rated is because you weren't alive when they first started playing. Back then their stuff was the **** Now you got all this new stuff, rap metal or what ever you are into, seem to over shadow ac/dc. Ask your parents about ac/dc, they will probably say they were all that and a bag of chips :DStar67

I think there are guitarists who are much better than him that are from that time, and I wasn't alive back then...

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I will come into this topic by saying that both ACDC and Led Zepplin as a whole are overrated. The only Zepplin song that has ever appealed to me was Kashmir. The rest just bores me.....

As for ACDC, they never ventured much with their sound and that bugs me alot. The only song of theirs I really like is Back in Black. The rest is alright but boring after a while, seeing as how similar they all sound.....

You want great guitarists, check out guys like Matt Belamy (Muse), Buckethead, Robb Flynn (Machine Head), and Jeff Loomis (Nevermore).

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

This thread makes me sad.guitargoddess17

Why?

marcocat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#43 marcocat
Member since 2002 • 16132 Posts
I swear to god that I read "anus young" :|
TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheJustin
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts
Geeze what is with the Van Halen hate!? Am I the only one on gamespot who is holding on to that extremely weak hope that there will actually be a reunion tour with David Lee Roth this time? :(
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rockguy92
[QUOTE="PickGlove243"]

EboyLOL

Nope, very much more overrated then VH. And I like Zeppelin.

Edit: Upon further consideration, I will go with VH as he created the most overrated solo of all time (except for maybe Freebird), Eruption.

I also think Eruption is overrated.

iMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 iMuffins
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

If it sounds awesome, and he plays it well, who cares if its easy or not? He came up with it, so he deserves the credit.DarKre

Exactly...

Avatar image for GreenmonsterBLS
GreenmonsterBLS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GreenmonsterBLS
Member since 2007 • 1031 Posts
From MY experience, I would not say Angus Young is overrated. Most of the people I know that "like" ACDC dont even know who he is. Which suggests to me that they only listen to ACDC because its "cool". So, as a whole, ACDC is overrated. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about guitar knows that Angus is a GREAT PLAYER, but hes nowhere near the greatest of all time or anything. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to hear more music.
Mercury88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mercury88
Member since 2005 • 5674 Posts
go on you tube and you can find kids playing any guitar solo. Someone has to come up with it first and it is in the creation and fitting in to the particular song that makes a guitarist great, anyone can burst into a solo but it takes acertain talent to get the right time and the right chords for the song.
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
are you kidding? theres no way he's overrated. he's one of the best guitarist that ever lived
rrric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rrric
Member since 2003 • 2408 Posts
you sir are overrated