Android helps man get out of speeding ticket and court

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

How My Smart Phone Got Me Out Of A Speeding Ticket In Traffic Court

Last year a traffic cop pulled me over while driving home and handed me a speeding ticket. Although nervous and somewhat startled since it was my first time getting caught, I ended up walking out of traffic court a few months later without having to pay a fine or adding a single point to my record. Surprisingly, it was all thanks to my Android-powered smart phone and a little creativity.

My First Speeding Ticket

As a brand new Motorola Droid owner, I was in the rush of trying just about every app that appeared in the Android Marketplace. One that particularly stood out and had me excited was Google Tracks. This free app records and visualizes your GPS data on a map, which is something I always wanted to try. I began using app while jogging, biking to **** and even when driving.

I fortunately happened to have Google Tracks running when an officer cited me for speedingwhile heading back home from a friend's place. The speed limit in the area was a mere 25 miles per hour and the cop's radar gun shockingly clocked me driving over 40 miles per hour. In a panicked mental state, I simply handed over my driver's license, insurance, and registration information without asking any questions. I was confident that I was within the posted speed limit in the back of my mind, but I just apologizedand went my way instead of speaking up.

Once I parked my car in the apartment lot, I immediately realized that I had Google Tracks running as a background process as I reached to grab my phone from the dashboard mount. As I walked in, I pulled up my history for the previous session which displays information such as distance, average speed, average moving speed, and max speed. It even stores maximum and minimum elevation levels for those that need it. More importantly, I foundthat my phone only recorded a top speed of just 26 miles per hour, significantly lower than the cited speed. I now knew I was not speeding.

Traffic Court or Traffic School

After heading to theYolo County (California) Traffic Courtwebsite and doing some research I found that I had two options: traffic court or a fine with traffic school. Most friends and family suggested paying the fines and avoiding traffic court since it is usually impossible to win.I unfortunately did not have the cash to spare or time for traffic school with a busy college schedule. I soon decided to take my chances in traffic court, which would take placeover six months down the road.

I decided to write down an account of the entire situation just a few days later and even exported the data from my phone to Google Docs so I would not lose or forget any important details. I even came across an ongoing Sonoma County Superior Court case regarding the accuracy of GPS devices and radar guns. I saved a few articles to back my claim that my account of the situation was debatable with the evidence from my smart phone.

Time For Traffic Court

Once I made my way into the court room after going through metal detectors, I had to sign a document to indicate whether I pleaguilty or not guilty.I choose the latter and got seated. The judge called a few peopleto the stand before it was my turn. Most of them were wearing rugged clothing, screamed out loud a several times, uttered inappropriate language, and were extremely enraged. Each case resulted in a guilty verdict, which had me even more terrified.

I eventually took the stand nervously. The plaintiff presented information from city plans noting that my speed limit was inappropriate for the area. When it was my turn to make a statement, I remained calm and spoke respectfully. I was also glad that I wore business casual clothing, which always plays an important role in situations such as this one.

My Geeky Evidence

Taking hints from a lawyer that spoke on behalf of a defendant shortly before me, I decided to ask the officer a few questions about the day he cited me. It turned out that the officer did not recall the last time he attended radar gun training, when the device was last calibrated, or the unit's model number. I then presented my time stamped GPS data with details about my average moving speed and maximum speed during my short drive home. Both numbers were well within the posted speed limits.

I also made it clear to the judge that I had no other prior driving records or violations. After a lengthy pause, the judge asked how I obtained the GPS tracking information. I provided a detailed explanation about my new awesome smart phone, the application in use, and how I exported the data. After questioning whether the data was reliable, I mentioned the in progress Sonoma County Superior Court trial regarding the same matter about the credibility of both technologies.

The Big Verdict

The judge took a moment and declared that I was not guilty, but he had anunusual statement that followed. To avoid any misinterpretations about his ruling, he chose to clarify his decision by citing the lack of evidence on the officer's part. He mentioned that he was not familiar enough with GPS technology to make a decision based on my evidence, but I can't help but imagine that it was an important factor.

What You Should Know

Before anyone goes out to try their luck with my story, I should make a few things clear. I have no legal experience what so ever. I also would like to also note that the purpose of this article is to focus on smart phone technology and issues with radar guns. The officer in question was doing his job and did not do anything wrong. I find that internet culture often likes to demonize misbehaving cops, which I hate hearing about. It is important to respect the men and woman who put their lives on the line to keep our streets safe every day. With that being said, I hope that this article will be helpful to anyone who was wrongly accused due to inaccurate information from radar guns, which are rather complicated to operate compared to consumer friendly smart phones.

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
F*** the police, no justice no peace!
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

F*** the police, no justice no peace!Agent-Zero

What?

Anyway, the guy didn't even need the GPS evidence to get off the hook. If a cop doesn't have record of calibrating his radar gun then you are off the hook.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I am disappointed. I saw "Android," and thought:

Data

This thread is not about an android. It is about a cellphone.

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts

What a nice wall of text.

Pikdum
Nice wall of text? He had paragraphs, pictures supporting his story and it was well written. A nice wall of text would be a big block of writing without paragraphs. Granted it's more of a blog but I think he wanted a bigger audience so he can provide a potential solution to anyone given an unjust speeding ticket.
hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
That's a nice story. Glad to see that technology can bring legal help as well.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="Lance_Kalzas"][QUOTE="Pikdum"]

Nice wall of text? He had paragraphs, pictures supporting his story and it was well written. A nice wall of text would be a big block of writing without paragraphs. Granted it's more of a blog but I think he wanted a bigger audience so he can provide a potential solution to anyone given an unjust speeding ticket.

agreed, "wall of text" is not meant to mean "too long for me to read" this story was well spaced and paced.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

Pikdum
That wasn't a wall of text...
CMFreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CMFreezy
Member since 2011 • 656 Posts
That's a good story, I hope my iPhone can get me out of a ticket.lol
drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

The phone didn't get him out of the ticket, the officers lack of clibration and info needed on his part got him out of the ticket. How did the Android get him out of the ticket? Judge even said that it wasn't because of the Android..

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lance_Kalzas

The phone didn't get him out of the ticket, the officers lack of clibration and info needed on his part got him out of the ticket. How did the Android get him out of the ticket? Judge even said that it wasn't because of the Android..

drufeous
But in a situation where the radar gun is calibrated correctly and the police officer was recently trained, there's the possibility of using that application to get out of a ticket. I think it makes it worth it to go court and plead not guilty over it.
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 howlrunner13

[QUOTE="drufeous"]

Lance_Kalzas

But in a situation where the radar gun is calibrated correctly and the police officer was recently trained, there's the possibility of using that application to get out of a ticket. I think it makes it worth it to go court and plead not guilty over it.

Yes but if a police officer's radar gun is properly calibrated then you WERE speeding and he will have PROOF of it. Who's a judge going to believe, a cop with a radar report or some guy's GPS app on his PHONE?

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
Good thing I have an Android smartphone too.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
Wow... 40 in a 25 warranted a fine and traffic school?! It shouldn't even be a ticket...
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 howlrunner13

Wow... 40 in a 25 warranted a fine and traffic school?! It shouldn't even be a ticket...Dark__Link

15 over doesn't warrant a ticket? What?

TehOverkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TehOverkill
Member since 2011 • 754 Posts

I thought it'd be about an actual android that busted into the court room, ripped his speeding ticket and killed the judge, before taking him away and voiding the fine.

I got a Google App instead.

Nice story, anyway :lol: .

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dark__Link

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]Wow... 40 in a 25 warranted a fine and traffic school?! It shouldn't even be a ticket...howlrunner13

Well it depends on the road. If it's a city road, and there's lots of people around, then yeah, 15 over is too much. But around here, there are a ton of 25 mph roads that should really be 45 mph roads. There's no houses, no people, the roads are wide enough... So I guess I'm just going by experience.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
That's nice. GPS data can't stand as evidence in UK courts.
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 howlrunner13

[QUOTE="howlrunner13"]

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]Wow... 40 in a 25 warranted a fine and traffic school?! It shouldn't even be a ticket...Dark__Link

Well it depends on the road. If it's a city road, and there's lots of people around, then yeah, 15 over is too much. But around here, there are a ton of 25 mph roads that should really be 45 mph roads. There's no houses, no people, the roads are wide enough... So I guess I'm just going by experience.

Yeah I know what you mean. Still it's the law and the one thing I cannot stand when I drive are speeders. I'm not getting a ticket just so you can get to wherever you are going 10 seconds sooner.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

Wow... 40 in a 25 warranted a fine and traffic school?! It shouldn't even be a ticket...Dark__Link

15 over is considered reckless driving in most states and you could lose your license over it. So yeah, it definetely is a ticket.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dark__Link

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]Wow... 40 in a 25 warranted a fine and traffic school?! It shouldn't even be a ticket...drufeous

15 over is considered reckless driving in most states and you could lose your license over it. So yeah, it definetely is a ticket.

....Maybe you should've kept reading.
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#23 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Have you not learned anything from movies or shows. That phone must be destroyed, or it will be the end of mankind.
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lance_Kalzas
[QUOTE="howlrunner13"]

[QUOTE="Lance_Kalzas"][QUOTE="drufeous"]

Yes but if a police officer's radar gun is properly calibrated then you WERE speeding and he will have PROOF of it. Who's a judge going to believe, a cop with a radar report or some guy's GPS app on his PHONE?

On a crowded road, it's always a possibility that the cop is targeting someone else and identifying you as the one breaking the law, regardless of how well trained he is. People make mistakes, even cops. That's why I said it makes it POSSIBLE to fight the ticket. I didn't say it was a guaranteed win or anything. Since you can't account for how every judge will react in every possible situation, you can't make your claim with any kind of certainty especially since I'm only stating what COULD happen.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
F*** the police, no justice no peace!Agent-Zero
XD I read that with a 50 cent voice in my head.