An experiment in voice recognition in this thread...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

Alright, that other thread about "talking black" and "talking white" got closed right as I posted this "video". So here is the experiment.

I made a youtube "video", which is really just audio of 5 different songs.

People in the other thread were saying that they can tell the difference between a "black voice" and a "white voice" no matter what accent they had... simply by what their voice sounds like.

So, there are 5 song samples I put together. Which songs are a black singer and which are a white singer? If you know the song, don't give it away. Simply list like this:

1. black or white

2. black or white

3. black or white

4. black or white

5. black or white

Here is the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3AtiRBJxzo&feature=youtu.be

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
1 white 2 white 3 black 4 black 5 black
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BMD004
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]1 white 2 white 3 black 4 black 5 black

Alright, cool. Let's get some more answers in this thread before I let you and other people know how right or wrong they are.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
White. White Black Black Black
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrPraline
[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]White. White Black Black Black

brofist
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

1. White

2. black

3. white

4. White

5. Black

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrPraline
i'm pretty sure #2 is bubba sparxx which makes him even whiter than me
pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
1. Black 2. Black 3. Black 4. White 5. White
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BMD004
[QUOTE="MrPraline"]i'm pretty sure #2 is bubba sparxx which makes him even whiter than me

Why would you reveal that in this thread at this point?
-Toshy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Toshy-
Member since 2008 • 1376 Posts
White
White
Black
Black
Black
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrPraline
[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="MrPraline"]i'm pretty sure #2 is bubba sparxx which makes him even whiter than me

Why would you reveal that in this thread at this point?

didn't mean to ruin the game just speculating
pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
You're trying to fool us...with stereotypes so... 1. White 2. White 3. White 4. Black 5. Black /thread
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrPraline
no worries i won't reveal who #1 is
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

no worries i won't reveal who #1 isMrPraline

Don't know who Bubba is, but I think I know the first guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
no worries i won't reveal who #1 isMrPraline
We got dis.
krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
I'm just going to say: white, white, white, black, black.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrPraline
bump n grind
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

:lol:

was not expecting number 4.

it goes from rap, straight to country. dudes one of the only black country singers.

i agree with Praline's picks.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BMD004

What I have gathered from this is that you guys are just guessing. You really cannot tell for sure. I even made it super easy on purpose and did exactly the opposite of the stereotype. In fact, one poster in here pointed it out and made his picks based strictly on that. Looking back, I should have added more black rappers and more white singers to really mix it up. Anyway, here are the answers:

1. Yelawolf - white

220px-Yelawolf.jpg

2. Bubba Sparx - white

220px-BubbaSparxxxSign.jpg

3. E.C. Illa - white

386413.jpg

4. Darius Rucker - black

Darius-Rucker.jpg

5. Tunde Adebimpe - black

3662115917_cf3298285d.jpg

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

1 White

2 Black

3 Black

4 White

5 Black

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 konvikt_17

What I have gathered from this is that you guys are just guessing. You really cannot tell for sure. I even made it super easy on purpose and did exactly the opposite of the stereotype. In fact, one poster in here pointed it out and made his picks based strictly on that. Looking back, I should have added more black rappers and more white singers to really mix it up. Anyway, here are the answers:

1. Yelawolf - white

2. Bubba Sparx - white

3. E.C. Illa - white

4. Darius Rucker - black

BMD004

what the else were we supposed to do?

we have no picture to look at, just a voice, se we guessed what race the singer was, by listening to his voice.

i got 4/5. the third one, i wasnt sure, but i was leaning more towards him being black.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

1. Yelawolf - white

2. Bubba Sparx - white

3. E.C. Illa - white

4. Darius Rucker - black

konvikt_17

we have no picture to look at, just a voice, se we guessed what race the singer was, by listening to his voice.

i got 4/5. the third one, i wasnt sure, but i was leaning more towards him being black.

Well, of course you were guessing. But what I meant was that nobody was positive by listening to the voices. You guys were basically taking a shot in the dark. If this wasn't an "experiment" where you knew I was testing you and where you had a 50/50 chance, if you heard those songs on the radio and didn't know who the artist was, I guarantee you that you would assume the first 3 were black and the last two were white.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrPraline
I was wrong about #3 but in general I can usually tell white rappers from black ones. Plenty of my played hiphop artists are white (Apathy, Esoteric etc). But yeah, at the end of the day it is just a guess.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

1. Yelawolf - white

2. Bubba Sparx - white

3. E.C. Illa - white

4. Darius Rucker - black

BMD004

Well, of course you were guessing. But what I meant was that nobody was positive by listening to the voices. You guys were basically taking a shot in the dark. If this wasn't an "experiment" where you knew I was testing you and where you had a 50/50 chance, if you heard those songs on the radio and didn't know who the artist was, I guarantee you that you would assume the first 3 were black and the last two were white.

well i listened to the vocals for what they were, just vocals. and based my guesses off that. i hadnt heard of any of them, except darius. i thought the first 2 sounded white, wasnt sure about #3, and thought the last 2 were black. except i knew for certain #4 was black.

if this wasnt an experiment, i can guarantee you, my guesses would have remained the same.

i answered the topic for what it was, which was, which voices sound white/black.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Half of thread picks correctly. Ascertains that OT is wrong in being able to guess a race through voice. Thread successful.
krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts

What I have gathered from this is that you guys are just guessing. You really cannot tell for sure. I even made it super easy on purpose and did exactly the opposite of the stereotype. In fact, one poster in here pointed it out and made his picks based strictly on that. Looking back, I should have added more black rappers and more white singers to really mix it up. BMD004

Actually no, the first two sound plainly white. Only the third could have passed for a black guy, but since it was obvious what you were doing, white was the clear choice. Both of the black guys sounded black.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts

White

white

white

white

black

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

konvikt_17

well i listened to the vocals for what they were, just vocals. and based my guesses off that. i hadnt heard of any of them, except darius. i thought the first 2 sounded white, wasnt sure about #3, and thought the last 2 were black. except i knew for certain #4 was black.

if this wasnt an experiment, i can guarantee you, my guesses would have remained the same.

i answered the topic for what it was, which was, which voices sound white/black.

Wanna try it again? Here is a new video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guD9w3wdB0c&feature=youtu.be

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

What I have gathered from this is that you guys are just guessing. You really cannot tell for sure. I even made it super easy on purpose and did exactly the opposite of the stereotype. In fact, one poster in here pointed it out and made his picks based strictly on that. Looking back, I should have added more black rappers and more white singers to really mix it up. krazykillaz

Actually no, the first two sound plainly white. Only the third could have passed for a black guy, but since it was obvious what you were doing, white was the clear choice. Both of the black guys sounded black.

Try this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guD9w3wdB0c&feature=youtu.be

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BMD004
Half of thread picks correctly. Ascertains that OT is wrong in being able to guess a race through voice. Thread successful. FrostyPhantasm
Half the thread didn't pick correctly... only 2 out of the 8 people got them right.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts

2nd song

Black

Black

White

Black

Black

Black

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
2nd one... Black Black white white white ? Black
-Toshy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Toshy-
Member since 2008 • 1376 Posts

Second one:

Black
Black
Black
Black
White
Black
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"]Well, of course you were guessing. But what I meant was that nobody was positive by listening to the voices. You guys were basically taking a shot in the dark. If this wasn't an "experiment" where you knew I was testing you and where you had a 50/50 chance, if you heard those songs on the radio and didn't know who the artist was, I guarantee you that you would assume the first 3 were black and the last two were white.BMD004

Wanna try it again? Here is a new video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guD9w3wdB0c&feature=youtu.be

whats the whole point of this?

im just gonna post what race i think the singer is based on voice. its a 50/50 shot.

what are you trying to prove?

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

konvikt_17

whats the whole point of this?

im just gonna post what race i think the singer is based on voice. its a 50/50 shot.

what are you trying to prove?

People in another thread were saying that they can tell the difference between a black voice and a white voice because they are genetically different. I said it was simply the accent that they were hearing. People disagreed and said that even with the same exact accents they can tell a black person from a white person without seeing them and just hearing their voice. So I wanted to put that to the test. And yeah, it is a 50/50 shot. I could have made it more difficult and put a bunch of races in there.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 konvikt_17

People in another thread were saying that they can tell the difference between a black voice and a white voice because they are genetically different. I said it was simply the accent that they were hearing. People disagreed and said that even with the same exact accents they can tell a black person from a white person without seeing them and just hearing their voice. So I wanted to put that to the test.BMD004

ah. gotcha.

didnt see the other thread and such.

not gonna do this next batch, watching a movie with my sister and dont feel like it anyways:P

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

1. White

2. Black

3. White

4. White

5. White.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SaintWalrus

Success, thread is a success.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SaintWalrus

But there's a flaw that hinders this thread TC.

You referenced the other thread.

Which means people had already started forming in their minds that this was some test to prove stereotypes wrong

And so all you had to do was choose the opposite of what clearly sounded "black."

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

White, black, black, white, black

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BMD004

But there's a flaw that hinders this thread TC.

You referenced the other thread.

Which means people had already started forming in their minds that this was some test to prove stereotypes wrong

And so all you had to do was choose the opposite of what clearly sounded "black."

SaintWalrus
And the vast majority of people are still wrong. Only 2 people out of 12 have been correct so far.