American Government

This topic is locked from further discussion.

P08C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 P08C
Member since 2008 • 729 Posts

Do you think that American democracy is really a governmental system that represents the people?

I don't........

Our government does an extremely horrible job of representing the people. First of all the only say that "the people" really have is which people and the only pretense we have on choosing who we want to elect are the load of lies that the candidates feed us. But in the end we the people have absolutely no say on political issues because we don't have the authority to vote on laws and issues like our elected officials have.

I think that American democracy is extremely flawed. Today's gun vote in Washington D.C. is a prime example. In D.C. the supreme court voted that a ban on hand guns is unconstitutional....DAMN RIGHT IT IS!!! The fact that they even had to vote on such an obvious issue is pathetic. It's starting to seem that our own elected officials (and yes I know that we don't elect supreme court justices) can't even read a **** document and interpret it! The most pathetic part about it is that the supreme court voted in against banning hand guns 4-5....IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A UNANIMOUS VOTE if our supreme court really understands the constitution!

Oh well, what do I know? After all, i'm not a supreme court justice nor am I a representative so obviously I don't know how to interpret the most basic laws this country was founded on.

What are your thoughts on this flawed system we call a democracy?

kuenbre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kuenbre
Member since 2006 • 598 Posts
I love America
Frexie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Frexie
Member since 2007 • 895 Posts
The answer is no to me. Speaking of the Second Amendment, its time I bought a gun.
CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CruxisXIII
Member since 2008 • 763 Posts

No. Honestly, the person you vote IN for president isn't directly voted in; the electoral college puts him in position. Then on top of that, the president doesn't have that much power (controlling the military is his biggest one); he is really just a figurehead to the congress.

P08C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 P08C

I love Americakuenbre

i love you

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Every American should go out and buy a hand gun.. Lets do it now!! The 2nd Amendment is the only reason no one has tried to attack the US with Troops, Everyone owns a gun. They would encounter heavy resistance at every single city they entered.. I defend my 2nd amendment rights....
P08C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 P08C

Every American should go out and buy a hand gun.. Lets do it now!! The 2nd Amendment is the only reason no one has tried to attack the US with Troops, Everyone owns a gun. They would encounter heavy resistance at every single city they entered.. I defend my 2nd amendment rights....ferrari2001

i wish i could afford a gun :( DAMN YOU PS3 AND YOUR LARGE PRICE TAG!!!!

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CruxisXIII
Every American should go out and buy a hand gun.. Lets do it now!! The 2nd Amendment is the only reason no one has tried to attack the US with Troops, Everyone owns a gun. They would encounter heavy resistance at every single city they entered.. I defend my 2nd amendment rights....ferrari2001
nobody has tried to attack the US with troops because all of our enemies our ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE OCEAN! The US spends more on their national security than all other countries on earth combined. Nobody invades us because our military is a superpower.
Avatar image for swizz-the-gamer
swizz-the-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 swizz-the-gamer
Member since 2005 • 8801 Posts
The American goverment is terrible and corrupt and always has been.
kuenbre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kuenbre

[QUOTE="kuenbre"]I love AmericaP08C

i love you

Love you too ;)

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]Every American should go out and buy a hand gun.. Lets do it now!! The 2nd Amendment is the only reason no one has tried to attack the US with Troops, Everyone owns a gun. They would encounter heavy resistance at every single city they entered.. I defend my 2nd amendment rights....CruxisXIII
nobody has tried to attack the US with troops because all of our enemies our ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE OCEAN! The US spends more on their national security than all other countries on earth combined. Nobody invades us because our military is a superpower.

technically most of our military isn't even in the country right now, Russia or China could easily send troops across land in California but they'd get pushed back before we even brought our military back from Iraq to fight them.

P08C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 P08C
[QUOTE="P08C"]

Do you think that American democracy is really a governmental system that represents the people?

I don't........

Our government does an extremely horrible job of representing the people. First of all the only say that "the people" really have is which people and the only pretense we have on choosing who we want to elect are the load of lies that the candidates feed us. But in the end we the people have absolutely no say on political issues because we don't have the authority to vote on laws and issues like our elected officials have.

I think that American democracy is extremely flawed. Today's gun vote in Washington D.C. is a prime example. In D.C. the supreme court voted that a ban on hand guns is unconstitutional....DAMN RIGHT IT IS!!! The fact that they even had to vote on such an obvious issue is pathetic. It's starting to seem that our own elected officials (and yes I know that we don't elect supreme court justices) can't even read a **** document and interpret it! The most pathetic part about it is that the supreme court voted in against banning hand guns 4-5....IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A UNANIMOUS VOTE if our supreme court really understands the constitution!

Oh well, what do I know? After all, i'm not a supreme court justice nor am I a representative so obviously I don't know how to interpret the most basic laws this country was founded on.

ryangb

i love our democracy, i mean we cant really have everyone vote on everything, it would be daily voting if that was the case, this is the most efficicent way we can run democracy, though it isnt perfect, if we had the people vote on all the issues everyone would be horribly busy with politics to do their jobs, thats why we have political leaders. plus if we really didnt like a law there are a lot more peolpe than government

your sig is probably one of the funniest sigs i have ever seen!

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts

I've always had a problem with Congress. They control nearly every aspect of law. They can override presidential vetos and they confirm or deny Supreme Court justices. They basically could bend the will of the government in their way.

Thank God the Supreme Court came through today. We need serious representation in Washington. We need to stop voting for politicians and start voting for people that actually care about America instead of their own power and money.

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CruxisXIII

[QUOTE="CruxisXIII"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"]Every American should go out and buy a hand gun.. Lets do it now!! The 2nd Amendment is the only reason no one has tried to attack the US with Troops, Everyone owns a gun. They would encounter heavy resistance at every single city they entered.. I defend my 2nd amendment rights....ferrari2001

technically most of our military isn't even in the country right now, Russia or China could easily send troops across land in California but they'd get pushed back before we even brought our military back from Iraq to fight them.

we have military EVERYWHERE on Earth. Almost every country has a US military base on their land. If Russia were to attack us they would walk right into NATO. China would have an ocean to cross as well.

Why does everyone view China/Russia as the bad guys? China is pretty interlocked economically with the US. Russia is labeled the "bad guy" because they are using common sense? This is what Russia is dealing with right now:

Georgia and Ukraine are getting offers to join NATO (these are former SSRs) they border Russia. Russia isn't really the best of friends with NATO.

NATO wants to build nuclear receptors on the Czech republic, they say its for Iran, but Russia is right next to Czech and just so happens to have thousands of nukes.

Everyone is just paranoid because Putin is making Russia strong REALLY FAST and because he is a dictator and former KGB (CIA) officer, people think he is going to do something drastic.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts
America has many problems, ur govt and guns are just 2 of the more serious.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts

I don't........

P08C

For starters, for all that of those that don't know... America is hardly democratic, the found fathers put so many safeguards against democracy, examples are Amendment Process, Presidential Veto Process, heck, the president is a check against democracy.

Next, I do not believe that our government is perfect, it is not "extremely flawed." You used the examples the D.C. ban on handguns which is actually supporting how good a government is. The Supreme Court's main purpose is to interpret the constitution. If you aren't aware, the constitution is a VERY VERY VERY open-ended document and can be left up to many interpretations. 2nd amendment, right to bear arms. It does not explicitly say that in the constitution that handguns are arms that and it doesn't say that the individual has the right to bear arms. Just because you think it's this way and it's been this way doesn't neccesarily mean it's "right."

Everything written into the constitution and founded by our fathers, I believe, is far from flawed, sure some of it has outdated but is really incredible they managed to prepare a single document that lasted for over 2 centuries. The only thing I really dislike about American government can be arround things that weren't planned such as the Iron Triangle and I don't really like 2 party system either.

kuenbre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kuenbre

I don't like the 2 party system either. Many of the founders were against them too. Read the Federalist Papers #55. They knew it was inevitable though. We just have to accept it

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

I think American democracy is great.

On the federal level, I can see the complaints.

But on the state and local level, it is just short of perfection. There is a small town I went to to interview for a job once in California. I went up there, had my interview with the guy (he owned a brewery), and he was talking about the local community. Evidently the mayor was a real jerk.

So anyway, this guy told me he was building an arch in this town's entrence. The then-mayor wanted his name put on the plack, and the guy said "sorry, this plaque is going to commemorate the founders". So the mayor **** and moaned and threatened to have the arch taken down.

So, this guy and the town got together, voted, had the mayor recalled, and made this other guy the mayor because he was so well respected.

That was awesome. And stuff lke this happens all the time. My dad thought there should be a u-turn sign at a certain intersection, so he and about 100 or so other people got the city to put one in. All these things are done through the government.