This topic is locked from further discussion.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

So we' re supposed to do a project for a class in college which can be done either individually or in teams of two. Most students, including me, are doing it on their own.

I have a friend who, even though is a nice guy (and overly religious), is not really gentle when it comes to getting a good grade. He doesn' t study methodically and so wants me and others to explain every little detail to him by constantly spamming us on skype when we' re already occupied with our own studying and whenever we have an assignment he just wants others to tell him what to do without putting a decent amount of effort himself.

So this time he left everything for the last 2 weeks when we had initially 2 months for the project and a few minutes ago asked me to hand my assignment together(and get the same grade) and that he could do whatever he could to help(at this point he can' t really help). I said no. Am I being selfish?

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
No. It's called not being an idiot. Not subjecting to the will of others doesn't make you selfish.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
If you stand your ground now and in the future, then no. If you break and feel like an ass and help him, which encourages him to be a lazy bastard, then yeah.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Am I being selfish?

johnd13

No.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13

If you stand your ground now and in the future, then no. If you break and feel like an ass and help him, which encourages him to be a lazy bastard, then yeah. CreasianDevaili

I won' t change my mind. I put a lot of effort into this project and that' s probably why I said no even though for a moment I seriously considered it.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]If you stand your ground now and in the future, then no. If you break and feel like an ass and help him, which encourages him to be a lazy bastard, then yeah. johnd13

I won' t change my mind. I put a lot of effort into this project and that' s probably why I said no even though for a moment I seriously considered it.

Long as you keep it that way then I think its better. Otherwise if you start helping him on the small stuff again he will, once again, think you will help him on bigger stuff. That 2 month deadline project is worth a big % of your final grade right?
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
Yes you are being selfish, and there is nothing wrong with that. Your friend sounds like a nuisance and from what I can tell there is no good reason for you to carry him through a class.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UCF_Knight
Yes you are being selfish, and there is nothing wrong with that. Your friend sounds like a nuisance and from what I can tell there is no good reason for you to carry him through a class.Laihendi
Where is the selfish part? This would mean not acquiescing to every whim is being selfish.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Yes you are being selfish, and there is nothing wrong with that. Your friend sounds like a nuisance and from what I can tell there is no good reason for you to carry him through a class.UCF_Knight
Where is the selfish part? This would mean not acquiescing to every whim is being selfish.

I guess I should instead say this - If he took his own self-interest into consideration when making his decision, then he was being selfish. I assumed that he did, but maybe he didn't.
Mink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mink
Member since 2005 • 1794 Posts
No, you're not, but I'd probably have said yes. I have a guilt complex, just drag a friend across the finish line because you can.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

no, you're just standing out to yourself. which is good considering you are likely being pushed to do most of the work.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13

no, you're just standing out to yourself. which is good considering you are likely being pushed to do most of the work.

punkpunker

I would do ALL the work lol.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

So we' re supposed to do a project for a class in college which can be done either individually or in teams of two. Most students, including me, are doing it on their own.

I have a friend who, even though is a nice guy (and overly religious), is not really gentle when it comes to getting a good grade. He doesn' t study methodically and so wants me and others to explain every little detail to him by constantly spamming us on skype when we' re already occupied with our own studying and whenever we have an assignment he just wants others to tell him what to do without putting a decent amount of effort himself.

So this time he left everything for the last 2 weeks when we had initially 2 months for the project and a few minutes ago asked me to hand my assignment together(and get the same grade) and that he could do whatever he could to help(at this point he can' t really help). I said no. Am I being selfish?

no ur not selfish.

johnd13

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Yes you are being selfish, and there is nothing wrong with that. Your friend sounds like a nuisance and from what I can tell there is no good reason for you to carry him through a class.Laihendi

I guess I should instead say this - If he took his own self-interest into consideration when making his decision, then he was being selfish. I assumed that he did, but maybe he didn't.

His habits are really getting on my nerves lately and I just thought this time he crossed the line. I don' t have anything to lose if I help him-but after working so hard and taking so much of my free time for this project I thought it would be unfair and most people seem to agree with this.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 johnd13

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]If you stand your ground now and in the future, then no. If you break and feel like an ass and help him, which encourages him to be a lazy bastard, then yeah. CreasianDevaili

Long as you keep it that way then I think its better. Otherwise if you start helping him on the small stuff again he will, once again, think you will help him on bigger stuff. That 2 month deadline project is worth a big % of your final grade right?

It' s worth 40% and for the teacher is the best chance to see if we get the basics of Java(I' m CS).

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#16 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

No. You don't want people like him competing for your job in the future. What you are doing is going help him in life.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Despite what others are saying, yes, you are being selfish... BUT WAIT! Do not despair! This is a healthy response to the situation. You should want to look out for your best interests, and not give a free pass to anyone unwilling to work as hard as you. If anyone acts derisively towards you because you will not allow them benefit from your hard work, cast them off without regret.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UCF_Knight
Despite what others are saying, yes, you are being selfish... Zeviander
Again, this would mean not acquiescing to every whim of every person is being selfish. def: (of a person, action, or motive) Lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure. He's not concerned with himself, he's just not agreeing to benefit someone else. I'll benefit by having the most recent lottery winner share their winnings with me. Are they selfish because they don't? No, of course not.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Yes.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"] Again, this would mean not acquiescing to every whim of every person is being selfish. def: (of a person, action, or motive) Lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure. He's not concerned with himself, he's just not agreeing to benefit someone else. I'll benefit by having the most recent lottery winner share their winnings with me. Are they selfish because they don't? No, of course not.

I am stating that selfishness is *not* a negative trait. The TC is looking out for his own self-interest. There are different degrees of selfishness, the kind you are thinking about is radical self-interest that shuns all contact with other human beings; i.e. clinical narcissism
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

no.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UCF_Knight
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="UCF_Knight"] Again, this would mean not acquiescing to every whim of every person is being selfish. def: (of a person, action, or motive) Lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure. He's not concerned with himself, he's just not agreeing to benefit someone else. I'll benefit by having the most recent lottery winner share their winnings with me. Are they selfish because they don't? No, of course not.

I am stating that selfishness is *not* a negative trait. The TC is looking out for his own self-interest. There are different degrees of selfishness, the kind you are thinking about is radical self-interest that shuns all contact with other human beings; i.e. clinical narcissism

And I never claimed you said it was negative. Regardless, this is not selfishness according to it's very own definition. You're suggesting that by not acquiescing to someone's desire, he is acting purely out of self interest. He's not acting 'chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure'. He's refusing a request on the grounds that someone doesn't deserve it. He gains nothing from this. If I ask you to take a video of yourself running around your neighborhood naked, and you refuse, you are not doing so because you are selfish. There's a distinction between refusing someone assistance for personal benefit, and refusing someone who's making a ludicrous request. Also this has nothing to do with clinical narcissism. I have no idea why you threw that in there, other than for the sake of using the term.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Yes you are being selfish, but in this case, the self-interest is justified. Your friend is trying to mooch off you and this may set a bad precedent, meaning that he may try do the same thing in the future and put even less effort into his own work.
sandlot76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sandlot76
Member since 2005 • 53267 Posts

johnd13

Hell no, you did the work. He can't expect or assume you're going to carry him. Not fair to you

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
It is wholly unfair for you to put in the work and for him to get equal credit. It's not being selfish, it's getting the credit you deserve and denying him credit he does not deserve.