Am I a gaming addict? Or just a gaming enthusiast?

pladdin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By pladdin
Member since 2020 • 2 Posts

Is gaming really that bad for you? How do you know if you're truly addicted?

I'm a gamer, and a researcher, looking for evidence of the differences between gaming addicts and enthusiasts. If you are 18+, and a gamer, continue reading.

Recently, in the last 2 years, the World Health Organization's acknowledged the existence of Internet Gaming Disorder. Although they have produced some guidelines to tell you if you're addicted to gaming, these measures, have difficulty telling a gaming addict, from a gaming enthusiast.

So to better understand why these measures are failing, I have come up with a survey, it is 20 minutes long, and is only for 18+ gamers. It is meant to help clarify the differences between someone who has real problems from gaming, and those that are truly just gaming for fun.

Note: Although this relates to online gaming, offline gaming is fine as well, for this is still in its infancy!

If you are keen, try out this survey!

Additionally, if you want to know more, drop me an e-mail through the link provided.

This is a university generated link:

Mod Edit - Link Removed

If this is against the rules, do let me know.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 157 Posts

loved gaming since I was like 7. I don't think its bad for you.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 214 Posts

I’ve always been interested in this. For a while I thought I was addicted to gaming but it was just a phase for a few months while I was injured where I spent a lot more time gaming, now it’s more of a healthy pastime for me, and I keep my priorities straight. I’ll check out the survey after work tonight.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2537 Posts

There is a difference. Gaming lovers live to game. Gaming addicts game to live. Gaming addicts go into withdrawals if they don't get game for a while. They usually become moody or depressed and can't function in life porperly.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19841 Posts

No spamming survey links.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 18 Posts

I don't think gaming is bad for you. Staying informed on what's to come is a good thing if gaming is something that you enjoy.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 136 Posts

now I don't think i ever was addicted to gaming it was more like I was looking for a distraction from some family problems ...now I don't really play them regularly as I used too and I only really play them when I am even so much as bearing the idea of playing one of them from one time to another...even as i'm watching someone else doing a long of a new or favorite game I can't even phathom to watch even half of that ...because mentally i'm thinking whoa this is boring,too easy easy or wow holly shit this is a waste of time even at the fastest speed the video's being played on why did i think this was a good idea ?!