Aliens ! Independence day: Resurgence / No Will Smith

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Wow, this is gonna be off the hook, can't wait. Looks freakin amazing. I disliked the last one, cause Will Smith made it cheesy, like such a part where he punched the alien in the face.

This time, they got it right. The graphics is freakin amazing, the story looks good, actors are promising.

Check it out

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but the ideal time for a sequel to this would have been a few years after the first movie, not 20 years later. Looks...okay, but it's something that can wait until the home video release.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
Loading Video...

That was literally the only thing I remember about the first movie besides the White House being blown up.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Also, I think Roland Emmerich is worse than M. Night.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Welcome to earf.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
@LexLas said:

I disliked the last one, cause Will Smith made it cheesy, like such a part where he punched the alien in the face.

don't forget the part where the president of the united states of america takes off in a fighter jet, because he is determined to personally kick some alien ass

i fucking love north american culture

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

Maybe it's just me, but the ideal time for a sequel to this would have been a few years after the first movie, not 20 years later. Looks...okay, but it's something that can wait until the home video release.

From the looks of this trailer , it got potential to be even better than original lol. Can't wait :)

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I remember the cheese being the only reason to watch that movie. The whole thing was ridiculous from start to finish, and it was great near-parody fun.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Loved the first one so obviously can't wait for this... thank goodness Goldblum is back!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

@BiancaDK said:
@LexLas said:

I disliked the last one, cause Will Smith made it cheesy, like such a part where he punched the alien in the face.

don't forget the part where the president of the united states of america takes off in a fighter jet, because he is determined to personally kick some alien ass

Funny that you mention about the President, my issue was the fact that the President of the United States didn't know the existence of Area 51.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator

Let's be frank: when it comes to Roland Emmerich films, however you feel about them, they always have excellent trailers that peak your curiosity. Same shit here, although I'm entirely expecting the final product to be full of silliness. Doesn't look as bad as I was anticipating it to look. It doesn't look like an Independence Day sequel but of course how could it given what took place within that universe. I mean logically this is how humanity would have progressed with all the alien wreckage laying around, just like what Mass Effect games did, find alien tech, and the Humans advanced giving them an edge.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Why?...

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiancaDK

@davillain-: i kinda think he knew of area 51, but just didn't know it had pertinent alien tech from the 50s in the basement

i think the alien tech was classified as need-to-know info, and ello and behold - the president isn't on a need-to-know by default simply by being the elected president

i dunno tho, it's been more than a decade since i've seen the film. If you're right, and the prez was like "what is this area 51 of which u speak" instead of "does area 51 really have aliens" then that would be ridiculous indeed

someone re-watch film and confirm/deny please

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator

@BiancaDK: If Independence Days comes on T.V at some point, I'll let you know :P

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BiancaDK

@davillain-: lol thank you bro

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@BiancaDK said:
@LexLas said:

But he was in the military before he was president, and then used his flying skills to die for his country as a president fighter pilot. Kinda cool if you ask me. But yes in real life that would not happen, lol ..

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BiancaDK

@LexLas: it sure as hell wouldn't happen under obama, but i could totally see a coke-snorting bush whisking off into aerial combat for reals

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Is it me, or did the speach from the 1st movie came off as cheesy?

Also, how will i get jiggy with it with no Will Smith?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Glad willsmith not in it. I no the 1st one was one of his first proper movies but like every one else said he made it cheesy cake. I like the actor but that movie could have done with out him.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Will Smith is part of the reason the first one was so awesome.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

Hey now, don't say things you can't take back.

@skipper847 said:

Glad willsmith not in it. I no the 1st one was one of his first proper movies but like every one else said he made it cheesy cake. I like the actor but that movie could have done with out him.

Same. Will Smith is...okay. Slightly better than Ben Afleck. Then again, Will Smith doesn't direct, so he might be worse.

I am happy he is not in it. According to the viral site, he died in an experimental plane crash: problem solved. Smith's "Hey look at me! I'm a cool guy! But vulnerable, but I'm cool! Wicky wicky wild wicky wild wild west" get's a bit old.

I'm calling it right now, though; he is probably not in the movie because he couldn't do it with his hack-actor son :P

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@BiancaDK said:

Wasn't he a fighter pilot before he became president?

In the real world, I see a lot of wrinkled prunes still able to fly the planes they flew back when they were in their early 20's.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@LexLas said:

But he was in the military before he was president, and then used his flying skills to die for his country as a president fighter pilot. Kinda cool if you ask me. But yes in real life that would not happen, lol ..

The president didn't die in the first movie. It was the looney tune crop duster pilot who died. The first lady died though.

Randy Quaid - he played the part of the looney tune.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

Why?...

Because profits.

JamesGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JamesGoblin
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

@indzman said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

From the looks of this trailer , it got potential to be even better than original lol. Can't wait :)

Indeed, it's my kinda favorite trash movie ever <3

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@mrbojangles25: I think it might be between that, and probably not getting a big enough paycheck.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It looks like it's going to take itself too seriously. This is why I think it was a mistake to make it without Will Smith. Honestly, that "Welcome to Earth" scene was classic. I don't really much have an interest in this movie because of his absence.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto

I miss him already.......

Loading Video...

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

I have to agree with JPL on this, the movie is taking itself way too serious. It won't be the same without Will Smith.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

I have to agree with JPL on this, the movie is taking itself way too serious. It won't be the same without Will Smith.

I don't know, man. People talk about the original being bad but still having a cheesy charm to it. But one of the things about those "bad but still kind of enjoyably bad" movies is that the people in charge were still clearly TRYING to make a good movie. That's one of the reasons why there's a cult following for Ed Wood films, but no one's ever going to give a shit about the Sharknado series.

Similarly, I think that the creators of the original Independence Day movie were trying to take themselves seriously. Or at least, a little bit seriously. Seriously enough that they were actually trying. That's precisely why that movie still has some kind of following even though pretty much everyone (including its fans) admit that it's kind of crap. Sure it's shitty, but there's enough effective stuff in that movie to convince me that the people making it took it seriously enough to try to make it as good as they could.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Storm_Marine said:

Hey now, don't say things you can't take back.

@skipper847 said:

Same. Will Smith is...okay. Slightly better than Ben Afleck. Then again, Will Smith doesn't direct, so he might be worse.

I am happy he is not in it. According to the viral site, he died in an experimental plane crash: problem solved. Smith's "Hey look at me! I'm a cool guy! But vulnerable, but I'm cool! Wicky wicky wild wicky wild wild west" get's a bit old.

I'm calling it right now, though; he is probably not in the movie because he couldn't do it with his hack-actor son :P

Please don't put spoilers. :(

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I still haven't seen the first movie yet.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Nothing wrong with corny. I think it was actually part of the original's appeal. The sequel (at least the trailer) reminds me too much of transformers though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44106 Posts

Sweet. I really enjoyed the first movie and that trailer looked pretty awesome. I'm not a big Will Smith fan so I don't mind him being absent from this one. Great to see that Jeff Goldblum is back though.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@skipper847: I don't think it's considered a spoiler when news of a particular character's death is released on a website made by the studio themselves, long before the movie even opens.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BiancaDK

@jun_aka_pekto: and yet the ridiculousness of that particular bit of the script remains perfectly intact, hence my highlight :d

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@BiancaDK: "i fucking love north american culture"

What you trying to say?

Anyway, let me know when Mars Attack 2 comes out.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BiancaDK

@PSP107: i'm european, what do you think i'm trying to say?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@BiancaDK said:

@jun_aka_pekto: and yet the ridiculousness of that particular bit of the script remains perfectly intact, hence my highlight :d

I don't see why it would be ridiculous. Being a fighter pilot is in his resume. You don't just forget the skills. Besides, he looks so young he can't have left the cockpit that long. He must have already been in a leadership position (and demonstrated it) in the military before he got elected president.

I wouldn't vote for just any pilot to be president. He would have had to be an extraordinary leader first. Even though the movie is cheesy as hell, his position and actions didn't seem too far-fetched.

Now, if we're talking about Russel Case (the looney tune played by Randy Quaid), his actions would be far-fetched. He went from being a fighter pilot in Vietnam to being a basket case and crop duster pilot to flying state of the art F-18 fighters. Very unikely.

All in all, the very cheesiness of the movie made anything plausible.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@BiancaDK: "i'm european, what do you think i'm trying to say?"

You want to live the American Dream?

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Transk53
Member since 2015 • 564 Posts

The part of the movie for me was seeing Brent Spiner not trying to act like Data and be serious. Mary Mcdonnell the thinking mans totty not getting her kit off was the worst part. Overall it was a good laugh. The queue at the Odean was massive.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@transk53 said:

The part of the movie for me was seeing Brent Spiner not trying to act like Data and be serious. Mary Mcdonnell the thinking mans totty not getting her kit off was the worst part. Overall it was a good laugh. The queue at the Odean was massive.

Apparently Commander Data is back as well.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

meh.

i'll catch it when it's available online

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I have very low expectations for this and the trailer was crap. It showed nothing but some explosions, Jeff Goldblum looking worried, BIll Paxton with a beard and a repeat of the lame speech from the first movie.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jun_aka_pekto

@fenriz275:

Huh. Bill Paxton is in the movie? One of my favorite actors although it'll be strange seeing him in a serious role. I never watched Twister.

I guess I may watch it after all.

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Transk53
Member since 2015 • 564 Posts

@topgunmv said:
@transk53 said:

Apparently Commander Data is back as well.

Really. Be interesting to see how they have brought him back to life. Seemed quite dead to me.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

I think it's a bit early to say that. The original trailers for the first movie were mostly pretty serious looking. This movie could end up being just as whimsical as the first one, although without Will Smith I'd say there's a decent chance it won't be.

@BiancaDK said:

You realize that if the Russian film industry made "Putinpendence Day" they would have had their president riding into combat shirtless on the back of a bear, right?

-Byshop