Alien: Covenant barley wins the box office weekend & I doubt anyone's surprise!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts
  1. Alien: Covenant - $36,000,000 (new release)
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $35,062,000
  3. Everything, Everything - $12,000,000 (new release)
  4. Snatched - $7,600,000
  5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul - $7,200,000 (new release)
  6. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $6,850,000
  7. The Fate of the Furious - $3,173,565
  8. The Boss Baby - $2,800,000
  9. Beauty and the Beast - $2,403,000
  10. How to be a Latin Lover - $2,200,000

Alien: Covenant wasn't the best Ridley Scott movie and I prefer Prometheus which is funny cause Prometheus opened at $51 million, so that has to be a very underwhelming total for Fox. I gotta say, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 almost beat Covenant since Guardians has been under-estimated for the last 2 weeks now, a 46% drop for Guardians is still pretty impressive as is though.

Next week, I expected Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales coming out with huge numbers and looking forward to the new one as well.

May 19-21 box office mojo

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Saw Guardians 2 Friday. Was good but it didn't seem as expansive as the first one. Would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

Saw Guardians 2 Friday. Was good but it didn't seem as expansive as the first one. Would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

I understand where you're coming from, but for me anyway, I think it works because they didn't do what the typical sequel does, and instead spends some more time with the main group, as well as gradually introducing some more characters. This obviously shouldn't be in every sequel no matter what the franchise, but for this one, it worked.

Now obviously, they need to go bigger for the next one.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

I enjoyed Prometheus, so I'm sure I'll enjoy Covenant. Here's hoping it gets enough sales to continue the storyline to it's completion.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

well that's why they shouldn't have put it on the weekend with Disney marvel

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@resevl4rlz said:

well that's why they shouldn't have put it on the weekend with Disney marvel

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has been out for three weeks already--Alien: Covenant just came out this weekend, and was projected to be the #1 movie this weekend, although by a somewhat larger margin. It was predicted to have made between $40-45 mil. But it obviously didn't happen.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Gaurdians 2 was awesome I thought, enjoyed it as much as the first.

Alien was....it was Alien, it was alright.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69438 Posts

@mattbbpl: Prepare to be disappointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I can't believe anyone thought giving King Arthur a 175 million dollar budget was a good idea. Oh well.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

I can't believe anyone thought giving King Arthur a 175 million dollar budget was a good idea. Oh well.

Exactly, I didn't expect that to do good.

Aliens was great, i totally enjoyed it. Not as good as the previous old ones, those were kick ass. But it did do some filling in the gap for the story. Creative i'd say, but it was not over to top.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I regret missing out GOTG VOL 2 and ALIEN CONVENANT for work pressure.But catched upon BARBERSHOP THE NEXT CUT last weekend, very funny social movie :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts
@davillain- said:
  1. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $6,850,000
@Storm_Marine said:

Ouch....

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Alien Covenant was absolute crap.. Just warning you out there.. Thought the characters in Prometheus were dumb? Wait til you get a load of the characters in Alien Covenant.. Wanted to have answers to questions the previous movie left? Too bad, this movie answers questions that no one wanted to really know and retconned shit that should infuriate any Alien/Aliens fan..

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

I liked it too, but I had some complaints.

For starters, I think it tried a bit too hard with the comedy, which is in all fairness also a complaint that I have with the first movie.

More specific to the sequel, I thought that it had a less compelling direct narrative than the first movie. Guardians 2 barely even HAD a real villain until about 2/3rds of the way through the movie. The majority of the movie was mostly just "side plots" or "stuff that happened" or "setting up the REAL conflict". And all that material was still entertaining, it just felt a little bit unfocused to me.

Also, more CGI shit. Which might seem like a nitpick since that's kind of a complaint with MOST of these kinds of movies. But here specifically, the Big Threat actually starts causing destruction, and I couldn't help but think, "there MUST have been a better way to get the point across...all they're really doing right now is throwing a bunch of CGI shit onto the screen."

Anyway, I liked Guardians 2, but I liked it significantly less than Guardians 1. For me, it probably ranks about upper-middle of the Marvel movies, as opposed to Guardians 1 which was possibly my favorite out of all of them.

Anyway, on the topic of Alien...I'll watch it but only because I'm a pathetic Alien fanboy. Realistically I think that the franchise has run its course (I'm not saddened by the cancellation of Neil Blomkamp's Alien 3 retcon either). I honestly think this series has said everything it needs to say, and there's not really any point to it now other than just watching more Aliens slaughtering people. I actually HATED the direction that Prometheus took by minimizing the Alien universe and tying together humans and Aliens with the "engineers". And while I've tried to avoid blatant spoilers, the impression I'm getting is that Covenant is more of the same.

On the other hands, I REALLY do think that the Aliens are cool, and I like watching them slaughter people. So I figure, "if I watched Prometheus then I guess I'd might as well watch this too." Expecting the movie to suck, but I'll still watch it and hopefully I'll like it a little bit more than Prometheus. What can I say? I'm a sad, sad Alien bastard.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@sSubZerOo: yea I've heard it's pretty bad and reading up on some spoilers hasn't left me with the best of feelings (David's role). I could tell this was going to be trash just from the trailer.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I'd love to say well deserved, but no. It's not. Covenant is probably the worst Alien movie done. Right there with Alien vs. Predator -movies.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Covenant would probably do better if it was Prometheus 2. Not kidding.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

Alien Covenant was absolute crap.. Just warning you out there.. Thought the characters in Prometheus were dumb? Wait til you get a load of the characters in Alien Covenant.. Wanted to have answers to questions the previous movie left? Too bad, this movie answers questions that no one wanted to really know and retconned shit that should infuriate any Alien/Aliens fan..

You must be ether stupid or not a Aliens fan, I mean an actual fan not some derp who saw the movies and enjoyed them. This is coming from some who not only grew up on the movies but had the action figures and comics as well.

If you payed attention at all during the movie it answers a lot of questions not only from Prometheus but key moments fans have been asking since Alien (minus the space jockey chest burst wound which I will go into later). Going into the movie you need to realize NOTHING will be as good as Alien or Aliens, secondly anything that is related to Predators (like how Preds have been hunting Aliens for hundreds of years) is NOT CANON, Ridley has stated numerous times he doesn't like Predators in his vision for the Alien lore/story so drop it, it was created to please fans for both franchises in a form of fan fiction.

Ever since Prometheus and now Covenant the two films have been about evolution, creation and destruction (or death), you can even see it in the movie Alien to a degree (in order for a xeno to be born a person has to die), even David says "in order to create, sometimes you have to destroy. For evolution you see it in both films, you see how different combinations of species will make a "true xenomorph"/the perfect species.

In the ending of Prometheus you see the Decane alien and in Covenant you see Neomorph and Protomorph. That's 3 versions or evolution's of the xenomorph, to sum up the un answered questions these will help out or at least make things clearer

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE FILM FOR BOTH VIDEOS, you have been warned

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

As for the famous space jockey in Alien, there's numerous theories out there from it's a different species than the engineers, to it being David to even the original theory of it's an engineer. You might ask what about the murals in Prometheus?, the engineers like David, were toying around with the black goo, mostly likely those aren't xenomorphs but Decanes or some other earlier form(s) of xenomorphs.

The move itself, I loved it, it's not on the lvl of Aliens or Alien but it certainly was better than Resurrection, Prometheus and Alien 3. Seeing Walter and David was like seeing what it would be like to have Ash and Bishop in the same movie, Fassbender killed it in this movie as David, which David is up there with Ripley in terms of character for the series, she's the hero and David is the villain.

For my own theories for the next movie (spoilers)

We will finally ether get to see the Xeno home world, which will be the planet the covenant is going to or it is going to the planet we will know as LV-426. While Shaw was used to create eggs, most likely Daniels will be a "queen" of some sort since David said he was gonna use her like he used Shaw

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Ballroompirate: bahaha its so hilarious seeing so called "Fans" trying to defend trash writing and stupid characters in a train wreck of a movie filled with b movie slasher cliches... Certainly better than Resurrection? That's high praise indeed that you have to compare it to that abomination of a movie to some how make it look good, you are not helping your case. The movie was utter trash with illogical character actions, absurd character writing (how can any one defend Billy Crudup's stupidity through the movie especially at the end? )_

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

An R rated movie held the top spot over a Marvel movie -- that's impressive.

I enjoyed Covenant -- I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending, but as someone who enjoyed Prometheus I though Covenant was better.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Pirates this weekend.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

The move itself, I loved it, it's not on the lvl of Aliens or Alien but it certainly was better than Resurrection, Prometheus and Alien 3. Seeing Walter and David was like seeing what it would be like to have Ash and Bishop in the same movie, Fassbender killed it in this movie as David, which David is up there with Ripley in terms of character for the series, she's the hero and David is the villain.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ash is David somehow, what with Scott shrinking this universe and sucking dry all the mystery from the original. The scene where David forces himself on Daniels mirrors the scene with Ash and Ripley, as well as David dropping the "perfect organism" line. This is going to be Scott's big twist, I fucking know it is.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@R3FURBISHED said:

An R rated movie held the top spot over a Marvel movie -- that's impressive.

I enjoyed Covenant -- I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending, but as someone who enjoyed Prometheus I though Covenant was better.

To be fair, though, GoTG was in it's third week in theaters, Alien: Covenant actually performed under the studio's original estimates--it was projected to gross $40-45 mil originally. It barely beat out a movie over 3 weeks old. Not quite a failure, but it could have been better.