Alec Baldwin accidentally shoots two people on movie set.

• 66 results
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/21/entertainment/rust-film-accident/index.html

A film crew member has died and another was injured after actor Alec Baldwin discharged a prop firearm on the set of the movie "Rust" in New Mexico on Thursday, according to a law enforcement statement provided to CNN.

Director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, was transported to the hospital via helicopter and pronounced dead by medical personnel at University of New Mexico Hospital, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.

Director Joel Souza, 48, was transported to Christus St. Vincent's Regional Medical Center by ambulance for care. Details on his condition were not released.

What a tragic and horrifying accident for all the crew members.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

This is it for real guns on set. All the pew pew will be a post-process effect now.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I had no idea they used real guns on set...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 br0kenrabbit

@johnd13 said:

They just load it with blanks. This is also how Brandon Lee died on the set of The Crow.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@johnd13 said:

They just load it with blanks. This is also how Brandon Lee died on the set of The Crow.

Then someone made a fatal mistake by handing Baldwin a loaded gun.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 br0kenrabbit

@johnd13 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@johnd13 said:

Then someone made a fatal mistake by handing Baldwin a loaded gun.

Or, as was the case with Lee, there was a bullet lodged in the barrel. The blank is still a proper charge of powder, so it can dislodge such a bullet.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By br0kenrabbit

Yeah I called it:

Terminator 2 actor Xander Berkeley wrote: "I cannot believe what happened on set in New Mexico today isn’t all over the internet yet. But it is the official end of using firearms on sets from now on for anything other than pantomime and post production."

Better Call Saul star Michael McKean agreed: "There is no reason ever to have a live round on a movie set. Ever."

Producer and director James Cullen Bressack wrote: "I will never use anything but airsoft and rubber guns on my movies ever again. This should never have happened. Halyna, you were a gem. This is so f***ed up."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tributes-halyna-hutchins-hollywood-reform-083457600.html

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Horrible news. I was surprised that they still use real guns on sets in this day and age with how CGI and everything have evolved. I've thought that they have moved to airsoft and rubber guns ages ago. This isn't the first incident of this kind.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@johnd13: Are you really free if you can't use real guns on set?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2408 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah I called it:

Terminator 2 actor Xander Berkeley wrote: "I cannot believe what happened on set in New Mexico today isn’t all over the internet yet. But it is the official end of using firearms on sets from now on for anything other than pantomime and post production."

Better Call Saul star Michael McKean agreed: "There is no reason ever to have a live round on a movie set. Ever."

Producer and director James Cullen Bressack wrote: "I will never use anything but airsoft and rubber guns on my movies ever again. This should never have happened. Halyna, you were a gem. This is so f***ed up."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tributes-halyna-hutchins-hollywood-reform-083457600.html

Fake guns usually look like fake guns. If they wanna ban guns completely, I'd imagine that creating passable fake guns will be much more expensive. Seems so stupid to ban guns from movies when the problem was specifically the round. If they wanna reform anything, it should be regulations for bullets and blanks.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

corridor digital talk about air soft to a real gun reaction.

its easy to spot actor using a total prop gun(air soft).compare to a real gun.

btw this type of stuff happen so rarely that i dont see the need to change it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Think after Brandon Lee they'd learn.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Warm_Gun

@firedrakes said:

I agree. Besides, we've all spotted digitally added gunshots. Some look much less convincing than others.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

Wow. That's too bad.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Horrible news, but why do people go to extremes so quickly? How many real guns are used in movies daily and nothing ever happens because they have trained safety experts on site ,etc , helping out. I'd say at the very least wait until we hear more details about this.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

That doesn't sound like a prop gun to me, it sounds like a real ass gun with blanks in it. That kind of shit can still be lethal! Jesus how has Hollywood production not learned from Brandon Lee mistake?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

are you fucking kidding me? that's fucking dumb.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Surely Baldwin must feel awful even though it wasn't his fault. The guy whose head should be on a platter is the person whose responsibility it was to make sure it was safe and inspected and such.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Why are there live rounds on set? What purpose do they serve? If there are live rounds, why are they not handled by a gun expert?

This is horrible news all around.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@Solaryellow said:

Surely Baldwin must feel awful even though it wasn't his fault. The guy whose head should be on a platter is the person whose responsibility it was to make sure it was safe and inspected and such.

The internet shows no mercy...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c
@warm_gun said:
@firedrakes said:

I agree. Besides, we've all spotted digitally added gunshots. Some look much less convincing than others.

Safety is more important than some realism. Majority of the people will not notice the difference. This has been thing for sword fights in movies through the history. Anyone who knows anything about swords, can clearly see that they aren't trying to hit each other in fights nor are they using sharp swords. And no one is complaining. Why should firearms be any different?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Warm_Gun
@Icarian said:
@warm_gun said:
@firedrakes said:

Safety is more important than some realism. Majority of the people will not notice the difference. This has been thing for sword fights in movies through the history. Anyone who knows anything about swords, can clearly see that they aren't trying to hit each other in fights nor are they using sharp swords. And no one is complaining. Why should firearms be any different?

The armorer yelling to the crew.

Moss out loud on the set.

We will notice the difference. Because some filmmakers aren't gonna be as good at adding the recoil, tracking the barrel, digitally adding the gas/flash and digitally lighting the surroundings as others. Seems pretty unfair to mandate it for everyone because Alec Baldwin or the people he was working with didn't take the proper precautions. It rarely happens.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Warm_Gun

Above you see a responsible armorer and actress. She obviously treats the gun with respect.

Loading Video...

The difference.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 firedrakes

dam warm gun.

legit post.

also it should be noted there more general accidents that happen on set to.

another thing most dont talk about but can be a big issue.

is the make up/ rubbers/plastics used in outfits.

can make people sick and such. last one i can remember that happening to is ruby rose(before current wth she said).

if you watch season 2 of the show she was in. the suit is using different martial.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@Solaryellow said:

The internet shows no mercy...

Oof.

Edgy Twitter takes coming back to haunt him.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Warm_Gun

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1451649378540822536

"Set member tells that Alec Baldwin was rehearsing a church scene with the cinematographer when he drew the gun and said something like 'is this what you want?' and then pulled the trigger. Director was standing behind her"

Idiot.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@warm_gun said:

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1451649378540822536

"Set member tells that Alec Baldwin was rehearsing a church scene with the cinematographer when he drew the gun and said something like 'is this what you want?' and then pulled the trigger. Director was standing behind her"

Idiot.

Civil liability can be substantial, assuming her family goes down that path. Still unsure what criminal liability/negligence will be applicable. It's a tough one.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Tragic and shocking news to be around a prolific actor and a cinematographer that had a very bright career.

I think this investigation is going to open a whole can of worms regarding the lack of safety among other issues in the film industry.

Some of what we're finding is half the film crew walked off, the cinematographer was advocating safer practices, etc.

Right now I'm sensing an investigation will lead to blaming and putting someone on trial.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Warm_Gun

"Every time I have ever been handed a gun, the prop master has made sure that I see the status of the gun, showing me that it is either clear and totally empty, or if I am firing a blank, how many rounds are loaded and how many times I will fire the weapon. I must acknowledge."

Interesting. Looks like that's what the armorer was doing with Carrie-Anne Moss in my screenshot above.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@warm_gun said:

How do you post tweets?

https://twitter.com/AdamBaldwin/status/1451597975247933440

"Every time I have ever been handed a gun, the prop master has made sure that I see the status of the gun, showing me that it is either clear and totally empty, or if I am firing a blank, how many rounds are loaded and how many times I will fire the weapon. I must acknowledge."

Interesting. Looks like that's what the armorer was doing with Carrie-Anne Moss in my screenshot above.

There's a "tweet" box below the bold/italicized/underline options.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Warm_Gun

@Stevo_the_gamer: Thanks.

Adam Baldwin is becoming more likable for me.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I’m highly skeptical this was a live round, blanks can be equally as deadly with an obstructed barrel (and even without)…..I believe that is how Lee was killed.

Hooray for firearm discipline. 👏🏼👍🏼🙄

I don’t care if no live ammunition was present, if functional firearms are on set, every single person should be required to take a day off for a safety course prior to filming to learn the 5 rules of gun safety. And if Baldwin was actually stupid enough to jokingly point a firearm at someone and pull the trigger, regardless of his belief to its condition, he should be held legally accountable.

What a waste.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

This is a tragedy, but as others have said, why do we still do this? There's been at least a few people killed this way since the 1980's and while that might not seem like a lot, if it can be avoided and all we have to deal with is maybe a cheap looking rubber gun here or there, I say that's a fine trade in to save some lives.

Sorry [not sorry] if that would ruin the movie for you, but I can live with it.

No more firearms on set!

@MirkoS77 said:

I’m highly skeptical this was a live round, blanks can be equally as deadly with an obstructed barrel (and even without)…..I believe that is how Lee was killed.

Hooray for gun discipline. 👏🏼👍🏼🙄

I don’t care if no live ammunition was present, if functional firearms are on set, every single person should be required to take a day off for a gun safety course prior to filming. And if Baldwin was actually stupid enough to jokingly point a firearm at someone and pull the trigger, regardless of his belief, he should be held accountable.

What a waste.

Yeah from what I've read in the short time since this has happened, blanks have been responsible for a few deaths. They're loaded with gun powder and then stuffed with cotton, paper, plastic, or something that ignites to produce a realistic visual (i.e. a bit of fire) when firing the blank.

The problem is that on occasion this debris leaves the barrel and even if it's not a bullet, I guess a small piece of plastic travelling at a couple thousand feet per second can do some damage to your head, critical organs, or arteries and such.

Terrible tragedy, I feel bad for the survivors. Alec Baldwin is one of my favorite actors and while he seems like kind of a dick, I have no doubt he feels horrible about this. I'd put him on suicide watch for the next month or two.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrbojangles25

@warm_gun said:
@Icarian said:
@warm_gun said:
@firedrakes said:

We will notice the difference. Because some filmmakers aren't gonna be as good at adding the recoil, tracking the barrel, digitally adding the gas/flash and digitally lighting the surroundings as others. Seems pretty unfair to mandate it for everyone because Alec Baldwin or the people he was working with didn't take the proper precautions. It rarely happens.

Totally get that, and even agree with you to an extent, but if it's a choice between a.) having realistic guns and effects in a movie and a person dying every few years from an accident, or b.) having slightly less realistic guns and effects and no people dying from it, I'm going to go with option b.

It's just not something I really need that badly as to risk human life, you know?

At the very least they should make a policy that you don't point the firearm at someone. No doubt there are plenty of tricks of the trade to make it look like you're aiming at someone without actually pointing the gun directly at them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#37 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Said before, but... The Crow all over again.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Warm_Gun
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warm_gun said:
@Icarian said:
@warm_gun said:

Totally get that, and even agree with you to an extent, but if it's a choice between a.) having realistic guns and effects in a movie and a person dying every few years from an accident, or b.) having slightly less realistic guns and effects and no people dying from it, I'm going to go with option b.

It's just not something I really need that badly as to risk human life, you know?

At the very least they should make a policy that you don't point the firearm at someone. No doubt there are plenty of tricks of the trade to make it look like you're aiming at someone without actually pointing the gun directly at them.

I'm not sure, but one post I've read on multiple forums about this did say it is policy not to point a real gun at someone on a set. That they have props for particular situations. Who knows?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MirkoS77

@mrbojangles25 said:

This is a tragedy, but as others have said, why do we still do this? There's been at least a few people killed this way since the 1980's and while that might not seem like a lot, if it can be avoided and all we have to deal with is maybe a cheap looking rubber gun here or there, I say that's a fine trade in to save some lives.

Sorry [not sorry] if that would ruin the movie for you, but I can live with it.

No more firearms on set!

Yeah from what I've read in the short time since this has happened, blanks have been responsible for a few deaths. They're loaded with gun powder and then stuffed with cotton, paper, plastic, or something that ignites to produce a realistic visual (i.e. a bit of fire) when firing the blank.

The problem is that on occasion this debris leaves the barrel and even if it's not a bullet, I guess a small piece of plastic travelling at a couple thousand feet per second can do some damage to your head, critical organs, or arteries and such.

Terrible tragedy, I feel bad for the survivors. Alec Baldwin is one of my favorite actors and while he seems like kind of a dick, I have no doubt he feels horrible about this. I'd put him on suicide watch for the next month or two.

It’s just hair-pullinglly frustrating, as why….WHY would you ever point a gun at a person? I don’t care if it is loaded or not.

That’s just something you don’t do, unless you’re under incredibly controlled circumstances with layers of precautions and checks just done. I can somewhat understand a freak accident like Brandon (where IIRC a part of a previous squib became unknowingly jammed in the barrel), but if Baldwin really just picked it up and pointed and pulled the trigger….well, I like him as an actor too….dude does a hilarious Trump impression….and he should have the book thrown at him.

I’m not certain he did that, but if so….such a thing is nothing but sheer stupidity and irresponsibility.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mrbojangles25

@MirkoS77: Yup, just a bad situation all around. Little funny but in a sad way.

Literally every responsible gun owner, rangemaster, safety expert, etc: "never point a gun, loaded or not, at another person unless you intend to shoot them"

Actors: *points gun at person*

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I am watching more coverage of this and this goes beyond using real guns, there were huge safety issues involved in the management of the film site, and there were objections made by the union staff and basically they kicked the union staff off the site for several days of filming before this happened and brought in inexperienced replacements. They were rushing the filming which made this even worse safety-wise.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mrbojangles25
@warm_gun said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warm_gun said:
@Icarian said:
@warm_gun said:

I'm not sure, but one post I've read on multiple forums about this did say it is policy not to point a real gun at someone on a set. That they have props for particular situations. Who knows?

Maybe. Maybe it was Alec Baldwin just making a really terrible, stupid choice and pointing it at someone.

I imagine we will find out soon enough.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 firedrakes

@nintendoboy16 said:

Said before, but... The Crow all over again.

so you dont remember the actor in 84 then?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-660c2894dc19c

@warm_gun: So you're putting your own entertainment above safety? Because of your entertainment they should ignore all gun safety rules? Always treat a gun as if it's loaded and only point it at something you're willing to destroy?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Warm_Gun
@Icarian said:

@warm_gun: So you're putting your own entertainment above safety? Because of your entertainment they should ignore all gun safety rules? Always treat a gun as if it's loaded and only point it at something you're willing to destroy?

How is this any different from some idiot "accidentally" killing someone at a shooting range? You don't then call to end all competition and recreational shooting based on the one idiot's mistake. People are jumping to extreme measures for basically nothing. Nothing meaning that this would never happen under normal circumstances. It took so many mistakes and so much negligence to get to that point that it would be just silly to ban guns and bullets for all filmmakers. The guns were already safe on movie sets, when treated with respect. I'll say it again as many times as needed: there is no reason to ban anything. Not guns, not blanks, not bullets.

Woman who handled weapons on Alec Baldwin set ‘nervous’ about ability

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@davillain- said:

That doesn't sound like a prop gun to me, it sounds like a real ass gun with blanks in it. That kind of shit can still be lethal! Jesus how has Hollywood production not learned from Brandon Lee mistake?

Prop guns are guns used as props. The problem here was no one was checking the guns.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Warm_Gun

Check out Baldwin's responsibilities as producer.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MirkoS77
@LJS9502_basic said:
@davillain- said:

Prop guns are guns used as props. The problem here was no one was checking the guns.

Which I don’t get.

Don‘t they have an armorer on set? Guns should always be in their control the moment they leave the hands of an actor, and allowed in no one else’s. Hell, under lock and key as far as I’m concerned, with a secondary barrier being mandatory firearm safety courses for all on set.

Yet it sounds like guns were just laying around, apparently loaded. That’s just bonkers. I hate hearing about deaths like this, as they’re so preventable. I hope someone goes down for this.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#49 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Came as a shock to me. Not that I've read into this, but I instantly thought of what happened to Brandon Lee during the filming of The Crow.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Which I don’t get.

Don‘t they have an armorer on set? Guns should always be in their control the moment they leave the hands of an actor, and allowed in no one else’s. Hell, under lock and key as far as I’m concerned, with a secondary barrier being mandatory firearm safety courses for all on set.

Yet it sounds like guns were just laying around, apparently loaded. That’s just bonkers. I hate hearing about deaths like this, as they’re so preventable. I hope someone goes down for this.

Yep. Obviously someone wasn't doing their job.