Age of consent, what should it be and why?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

I personally don't claim to have a strong opinion on the matter cause I don't know but based on the Bible men should start sexing as soon as they are able to care for a family and women should be sexing as soon as they hit puberty. As soon as they bleed they are ready to breed based on the Bible. Mary was 13 when she was engaged to Joseph. God, who is like more then 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000+ years old (cause he is infinite), came and took Joseph's woman, hit it, without even asking, and got her preg, and then made Joseph raise a kid that wasn't even his. So based on the Bible 13 is more then old enough to have a baby.

P.S. By today's standards God is an O.G. gangsta to pull something like that off.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I personally don't claim to have a strong opinion on the matter cause I don't know but based on the Bible men should start sexing as soon as they are able to care for a family and women should be sexing as soon as they hit puberty. As soon as they bleed they are ready to breed based on the Bible. Mary was 13 when she was engaged to Joseph. God, who is like more then 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000+ years old (cause he is infinite), came and took Joseph's woman, hit it, without even asking, and got her preg, and then made Joseph raise a kid that wasn't even his. So based on the Bible 13 is more then old enough to have a baby.Diablo-B

Mary was artificially inseminated by an alien, or "angel." At least that's my view on it now.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

15, although a person should not be labled as a sex offender if they are 15 and have sex with a 14 year old. Thats stupid.

supergoat777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 supergoat777
Member since 2010 • 1470 Posts

(-----------------------------------------

Does anyone my avatar looks like a pedophile?

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
16. Trying to legislate teenage hormones is pointless; it's about protecting weak, irresponsible minors from exploitation, as with employment laws.
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 drewtwo99
Member since 2005 • 9156 Posts
Thanks so much for all the interesting debate guys! It's been interesting reading all your posts. I am no expert but I believe it was common in some ancient societies for adolescents to enter into sexual/romantic relationships with full grown adults, who mentored them in a way, and that this somehow may have helped them develop sexually in a more responsible fashion, as well as provide an outlet for these feelings with someone who had experience and more maturity than people their age. I know that this is considered obscene in today's society, where we believe that minors should only be engaging with other minors, and never adults with minors... but I wonder if that's better in the long run when both parties involved are still exploring and unknowledgeable.
jaqulle999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 jaqulle999
Member since 2009 • 2897 Posts

16 or if your within a year of the person you had sex with.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Thanks so much for all the interesting debate guys! It's been interesting reading all your posts. I am no expert but I believe it was common in some ancient societies for adolescents to enter into sexual/romantic relationships with full grown adults, who mentored them in a way, and that this somehow may have helped them develop sexually in a more responsible fashion, as well as provide an outlet for these feelings with someone who had experience and more maturity than people their age. I know that this is considered obscene in today's society, where we believe that minors should only be engaging with other minors, and never adults with minors... but I wonder if that's better in the long run when both parties involved are still exploring and unknowledgeable. drewtwo99

I think what you are thinking about is ancient Rome where older men took on young boys to mentor and teach.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

I think most people are emotionally prepared to deal with sex sometime in their late 20's to early 30's, so probably somewhere in therexaos
This is true. I don't agree with it, but definitely true.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

It's 16 in the UK and I think that's about right.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
If ever I had a daughter....73 sounds about right...... seriously though...16 is an age where you're smart enough to understand right/wrong and consequences.....it should also be the voting/drinking/smoking age......
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 drewtwo99
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]If ever I had a daughter....73 sounds about right...... seriously though...16 is an age where you're smart enough to understand right/wrong and consequences.....it should also be the voting/drinking/smoking age......

Haha, Omni! You're still around :D I've been gone for a few years and come back, and here you still are! Will we ever escape gamespot? (Btw I know you probably don't know me at all, so no offense taken)
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
If ever I had a daughter....73 sounds about right...... seriously though...16 is an age where you're smart enough to understand right/wrong and consequences.....it should also be the voting/drinking/smoking age......Omni-Slash
I think you may start to be thinking about right/wrong. But a person at 16 is ussually not the same person when they are in their mid 20s. But part of that may be marking the right/wrong choices in life by then.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Omni-Slash
Haha, Omni! You're still around :D I've been gone for a few years and come back, and here you still are! Will we ever escape gamespot? (Btw I know you probably don't know me at all, so no offense taken)drewtwo99
I think I remember the name...I tend to remember people by their avatars though....that being said..I'm still here...but I don't post nearly as much as I use to....;)
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]If ever I had a daughter....73 sounds about right...... seriously though...16 is an age where you're smart enough to understand right/wrong and consequences.....it should also be the voting/drinking/smoking age......AutoPilotOn
I think you may start to be thinking about right/wrong. But a person at 16 is ussually not the same person when they are in their mid 20s. But part of that may be marking the right/wrong choices in life by then.

oh without a doubt..and I'm not nearly the person now in my mid 30's I was in my 20's....but at some point we have to be held responsible for our actions..and at 16 I feel as though I had a grasp of right and wrong...
Vadislav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Vadislav
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts
Seedy motel. Bed. Only missionary position. No age of consent. [spoiler] Final Destination. [/spoiler]
Vadislav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Vadislav
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts
Seriously though there are 2 pedophiles in this board as of now. Kind of creepy.
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 drewtwo99
[QUOTE="Vadislav"]Seriously though there are 2 pedophiles in this board as of now. Kind of creepy.

Remember, age of consent is a legal definition. It doesn't necessarily mean these people want to go around having sex with young children, just that they don't think its the government's job to legislate such matters. Or maybe they do, haha :O
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 rzepak

[QUOTE="Vadislav"]Seriously though there are 2 pedophiles in this board as of now. Kind of creepy.drewtwo99
Remember, age of consent is a legal definition. It doesn't necessarily mean these people want to go around having sex with young children, just that they don't think its the government's job to legislate such matters. Or maybe they do, haha :O

I think that some people failed to grasp that the posters talking about a very young age of consent are basically talking about cultural differences that exist around the world or during different periods in history. They use facts to argue their point while others use their morals which are, to an extent, specific to a given culture.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#70 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
About 25+. Many of the pregnant youth are wrecking the welfare system. But then again, we need many labor jobs that need filling and I'm sure that would take one.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

16, you should be smart enough to understand the consequences of your actions.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

lordreaven

Terrible age because the majority of teenagers are dumb *****. They see sex and "OMG LAUGH LAUGH GIGGLE GIGGLE"

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 rzepak

[QUOTE="lordreaven"]

DroidPhysX

Terrible age because the majority of teenagers are dumb *****. They see sex and "OMG LAUGH LAUGH GIGGLE GIGGLE"

That for some people lasts for years though=)

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#74 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
I say 14 would be a good age.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

I say 14 would be a good age.Darthkaiser

As if we didnt have enough pedos and teenage mothers?

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

18 works fine.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="lordreaven"]

I'm 20, most of my firends (20-23) are dumb******* even more than they where in school.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

16. i'm glad i live in georgia ;)

majrankin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 majrankin
Member since 2009 • 193 Posts

16 should be right

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
12 or possibly 2. Within that range.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
It's fine where it is
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

Of what I've seen of people's psychological maturity level these days, I'd say the latter end of 25-30.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
12 or possibly 2. Within that range.bobaban
Thats not right Bruthu
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#84 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
I'll stand by 16. If you can get a license and learn how to drive, you can have sex.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

No law. When they are ready.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

16, old enough to drive, old enough to dive

anybody who voted for anything under 16.......well, that seems a bit creepy.

The human mind isn't fully developed until about age 16.....so in my opinion they are children under 16.

The age of consent here in Pennsylvania, USA is 16, so IMO it's on target.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.TheArGaia

You're missing the point. The point is that there is no intrinsically correct basis upon which it can be argued that ages above (or below) ~14 years are ages at which someone officially becomes an adult. Such ages are arbitrarily chosen and do not coincide with nature. However, the age of ~14 is scientifically known to be the age that someone reaches sexual maturity. So, in accord with nature, in accord with our biology, that is the age at which someone should begin procreation. This is irrefutable. If it were any other age, then ~14 would not be the age at which we reach sexual maturity.

Are you trying to justify Pedophilia?

sounds like it.....kinda creepy :|

....especially considering there are some girls who reach "sexual maturity" at 10 or 11.

That's not what it's about, the human mind is not fully developed until about age 16, they need both sexual maturity and mental development, its a little creepy when you go after gals who have developed physically but not mentally yet. That's an area for losers and pedos.

Come on bluray you are better than that aren't you? But you are correct about one thing come to think of it, pedophiles are after the 10 and under crowds, the pre-pubescents, those are the really messed up people.

austi722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 austi722
Member since 2009 • 452 Posts

No law

And sex Education in school wouldn't do much if no one paid attention

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 AFBrat77

I think a very common age of consent around the world is 15 so why not that. Its still going to be just a number since you cant gauge maturity and everyone develops differently.

rzepak

too young....16 is spot-on

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]Just because some one's society says that they are adults when they are 14 doesn't make them right. Even if all the 30 year olds are doing 15 year olds in a certain society, it could still be wrong.BluRayHiDef

You're missing the point. The point is that there is no intrinsically correct basis upon which it can be argued that ages above (or below) ~14 years are ages at which someone officially becomes an adult. Such ages are arbitrarily chosen and do not coincide with nature. However, the age of ~14 is scientifically known to be the age that someone reaches sexual maturity. So, in accord with nature, in accord with our biology, that is the age at which someone should begin procreation. This is irrefutable. If it were any other age, then ~14 would not be the age at which we reach sexual maturity.

It's based more on the ideal of schooling, jobs, and psychological preperation.

A person at 14 isn't exactly ready to be starting a family, as they aren't ready to play their own part in society. At that age they're still an attachment to their parents.

They may be 'biologically ready' but they certainly aren't ready to have their own family which is crucial (and sometimes unwanted) part of intercourse, don't ya think?

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
I stick by the half-your-age-plus-7 rule.
AceofTrades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 AceofTrades
Member since 2011 • 624 Posts

13, tbh.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 rzepak

[QUOTE="Darthkaiser"]I say 14 would be a good age.DroidPhysX

As if we didnt have enough pedos and teenage mothers?

Teenage mothers are a result of stupidity and the lack of proper sexual education. In Poland for example the debate if sexual education should be tought at school is still going on and at this pace it will never enter the curriculum...its ridiculous. Teach a kid to be responsible and it will serve him better than a condom.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

The human mind isn't fully developed until about age 16.....so in my opinion they are children under 16.

AFBrat77
Actually studies show that the brain development and hormone production reaches a stability at around 30 years of age. So, by your reasoning, people shouldn't be having sex until then.
Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

I think it should be 12

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

kuraimen

Actually studies show that the brain development and hormone production reaches a stability at around 30 years of age. So, by your reasoning, people shouldn't be having sex until then.

huh, I stand corrected, though that's 25 not 30.

I still stand with 16, old enough to make driving decisions, old enough to have sex with a partner of their choice.

As I see it, anyone under 16 is still a kid.

TheArGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 TheArGaia
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

I think it should be 12

Ncsoftlover
Why am I starting to get a mental image of anyone who posts ages this low as 40 year old men with evil grins?
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#98 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
here's it's sixteen and sex is legal as long as the other person is within 5 years of age, beyond that it's statutory rape, either way though there's still communication with a minor for immoral purposes when crossing that 18 barrier
Avatar image for charlesdarwin55
charlesdarwin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 charlesdarwin55
Member since 2010 • 2651 Posts

Why even have a law? Everyone should have the freedom to choose whenever they want as long as the other agrees and noone is way older than the other one. Hell if 2 5 year olds wanna do it it's their f****** choice society shouldn't care, only they & their families, next thing you know women who are cheating on their husbands get stoned.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
13 with 5 year buffer and then at 18 you can do what you like. So a 13 year old could give consent to another 13 year old but not to a 20 year old.