After the year 2000, when did Cartoon Network die for you OT?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56035 Posts

I been meaning to ask this question for a long time but got lazy of making a thread until now lol.

Anyhow, for me. Some people might think the network died to them in 2004, but to others, it didn't die until 2006, 2007 or 2008, because the City Era, CN City, or Toon City, whatever you call it, which was still a great time with tons of original programming, action shows, and anime that were airing on a regular basis, but after the City Era ended you had the downgraded yes era, and then the Fall era which to a lot of people was the real death of CN because of the cancellation of Fridays for Fried Dynamite, the end of a lot originals, the cancellation of Toonami, Out of Jimmy's Head, CN Real, and so much more.

Keep in mind it only depends on your age when CN died for you of course but CN died the moment they ended Star Wars: The Clone Wars because it was the only reason why I watch CN.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Truthfully can't pinpoint when it died for me. It's like a combination of them dropping Toonami, the weird shows they started showing on adult swim (Dropping shows like Trigun, Inuyasha, Harvey Birdman, Space Coast), odd and unfunny shows they started showing in regular hours, removing Prime Time or airing shows equivalent to Ed, Edd, & Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and so forth. I know Toonami is back now (Unless they dropped it again), but that still was the end for me....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

The root was clearly 2001 for all of us people who are old enough and liked Cartoon Network's original intention. But 2001-2003 was a rocky period because of all the disagreements going on in CN management. From the Cohen vs Kellner period in 2001 and then the Samples vs Lazzo with Kellner in the wings period in 2002-2003. When Kellner got shown the door and Lazzo got kicked upstairs to just running Adult Swim in 2003 the reigns were off for Samples to do as he wished.

This is certainly not an indictment on everything done since then. Cartoon Network as a whole has always been a home to many interesting and fun shows over the years. However, from a fan perspective and business perspective, the original luster that made the channel a player in all of cable in total viewers died a harsh death in 2001. No one ever got it back to that point. The problem is that this portion of the audience has been silenced more often in internet echo chambers by Samples era fanboys who liked to pretend no one really whined about CN's change of direction until after the powerhouse era died. Which has never been anything but a fantasy. It's always been divided one group whined about Samples as much as the other whined about Snyder.

The only plus side of this argument is that these people did kind of prove Laurie Goldberg did her job well back in the day. After her scrapes with Save our Sailors and the TTTP, these people bought her spin and took it for golden all the way into adulthood. However I don't really consider that a "death" as I won't call the network dead until the feed is gone. It changed several times but Samples era was not the Cohen era and CN was worse for it. The draw of the network was the chance to meet so many different kinds of shows over the years and the more CN got away from that the less respect I had for it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Basically whenever that redesign of Dexter happened. It just, whatever, I don't like to talk about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Teen Titans Go!, the show with the Grandpa and other weird shows.

Ninjago was a good show tho.

At first I didn't like Gumball, Clone wars, Adventure Time, and Chowder but got used to it later. Some better than others. I only saw up to season 2 or season 3 of the Clone wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I actually didn't start getting Cartoon Network in my household until the year 2000. It was still decent those first couple of years, but there were shows being added even back then that I couldn't really get into. Dexter's Lab was the best (yes, I even kind of enjoyed it after the redesign. But I consider Ego Trip to be kind of the conclusion of the series.), I think I would have loved Samurai Jack but still to this day have not really sat and watched it. I could enjoy Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, and Mike, Lou & Og. Space Ghost Coast to Coast was ahead of its time, and a clever idea. The What a Cartoon Show was also pretty cool. Toonami was just great, that was how I got to watch a lot of anime in the 2000's. Unfortunately much of the original Hanna-Barbera, MGM and Warner programming on the network moved to Boomerang shortly after I got CN, and only appeared infrequently.

I remember watching Adult Swim the very first night it aired, and following it for months after it came out. That was a game-changer for animation aimed at the older crowds. I never understood why Mission Hill, Home Movies and Baby Blues never caught on better. I always felt that Adult Swim had become successful enough to become its own, separate network, and that maybe Boomerang should have been reabsorbed back into CN for classic programming.

I think Adventure Time was great as well, and for me maybe that was the culmination of the network's efforts. Nowadays I'm not so sure there is anything outside of Adult Swim still airing on the network that would get me to watch it.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#7 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'd say around when Adventure Time & The Regular Show started coming out. (Not that they are bad shows...) But yeah, it changed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Basically whenever that redesign of Dexter happened. It just, whatever, I don't to talk about it.

I love Dexter's Laboratory. I know the newer episodes get some hate, but I like those as well. ?

Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3525 Posts

I always prefered Nickelodeon to Cartoon Network from the 90's to early 00's so I'm not really sure when it died. But I know have liked quite a few CN shows over the past 5 to 6 years. IMO Nickelodeon died a far worse death than CN ever did.......

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Stranger_36 said:
@Master_Live said:

Basically whenever that redesign of Dexter happened. It just, whatever, I don't to talk about it.

I love Dexter's Laboratory. I know the newer episodes get some hate, but I like those as well. ?

To be honest, I didn't even know Dexter had a brand new redesign until I stumble this conversation.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator

@Crash6 said:

I always prefered Nickelodeon to Cartoon Network from the 90's to early 00's so I'm not really sure when it died. But I know have liked quite a few CN shows over the past 5 to 6 years. IMO Nickelodeon died a far worse death than CN ever did.......

Personally, Nickelodeon died for me when they killed Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra runs. It gave Nickelodeon a huge rating boost and just like that, they toss those shows to the dumpster.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

After when Regular Show ended. I stopped watching Adventure Time after the season when Fin found his origin and mother. After that, I felt it went downhill fast. Now current Cartoon Network sucks, full of Tumblr artist that don't know how to make a good show.

@davillain- said:
@Crash6 said:

Personally, Nickelodeon died for me when they killed Avatar: The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra runs. It gave Nickelodeon a huge rating boost and just like that, they toss those shows to the dumpster.

Let me clarify that I have no issues of LGBT Character development, but when it's done right.

Legend of Korra first 2 seasons were good, but then they started to focus on a stupid bizarre love triangle, and then listened to a small minority of fans that wanted that lesbian relationship of Korra and Asami that seemed really forced. They continued the series in graphic novels and the writers seem to don't know how real relationships work at all. It's a damn joke that ruined the Avatar Universe. Not to mentioned that the creator pulled a JK Rowling claiming that Aang's predecessor, Roku, was in a same-sex relationship before he died.

gonzalezboy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gonzalezboy07
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

@davillain-: for real